Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Shinryu down to 2%, everyone dies to water aether but me because they don't move. Awesome.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Probably both. I can't see them leaving basic level 70 HQ crafter/gather gear as BiS for long.

Will know for sure here shortly once the patch is up for download. I love to datamine the fuck out of shit like that when i'm waiting on the servers to come up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Probably both. I can't see them leaving basic level 70 HQ crafter/gather gear as BiS for long.

Will know for sure here shortly once the patch is up for download. I love to datamine the fuck out of shit like that when i'm waiting on the servers to come up.

Please do and post it. Only thing that makes me think they might not is they just added the yellow scrip gear 2 weeks ago. Would be sorta shitty to have people just do that grind and then replace all of it. Yes, the crafted stuff melded better than the yellow scrip gear (MH tools being the only one semi worthwhile, as penta-melding crafted tools to make them superior is a pain), but many regulars not on that level. I just wonder how bad it will be and whether it'll be different sets for each class (fuck my armoury and retainer space).

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Question is will the new Master recipe books have new crafting/gathering gear, or will it just be DoW/DoM stuff. Also what 2 star requirements will be.
Datamining posts on reddit are saying it's i320 for the battle crafted.

Merrith

I'm not seeing anything in regards to new crafting/gathering gear yet. Might not be anything.

Welp, might be getting those yellow scrip MH tools for my crafters after all then, especially since the Master books are bought with red scrips. Kinda dumb that, but at least I'm capped on both for crafting already. Was hoping it was going to be 720 yellow per though, guess I'll be grinding out a lot of crafting red scrips today.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Good thing I didn't waste my blue scrips on buying materias and shit in case of, now I can buy a couple of books with the conversion to red. Not that reds are hard to farm, I leveled CUL almost entirely on turn ins for like 2k per items and it was 35red scrips per, just need to macro for a few hours and I'll have all the books probably.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Got my books done. Disappointing recipes - very few apart from 320 weapons and armour. CUL only gets 3 recipes - none for Crafting or Gathering - though they look decent for folks that will use them :

ffxivsbfood1.jpg

ffxivsbfood2.jpg

ffxivsbfood3.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah not much in these books that's worth it, I'll grab them for future proofing since I assume they'll just add recipes to them later, maybe, but not a huge deal. I'm glad I didn't spend too much time trying to be all caught up with crafting and shit cause it would have been fairly pointless. I mean there's money to make for sure but it's kinda whatever at this point I'll take it slow.

Also nice that maps are up to 200k now, that's some nice easy daily money. Could run them for a chance at even better money but can't be assed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Omega 4 savage looks pretty crazy. Spoilers for the fight in case of, and spoilers in general, but that's the "2nd phase" of the fight:

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Myself and a buddy are possibly looking to get into this game. We will probably do healer and tank as main jobs. Can someone familiar with the game give me a brief summary of what we might expect playing through with 2 players and what what things will be good / bad with the current state of the game for someone brand new? We are mostly looking for co-op play, not super interested in raids.

Thanks

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well with tank/healer you'll have instant queues for everything so that's nice.

The game uses a quest leveling system with a main story quest and some/a lot of sidequests. The main story unlocks most features in the game so it's necessary to do it, and contains a bunch of mandatory dungeons to clear, so having fast queues is good. The downside I'd say currently is the vanilla part of the game is old and in dire need of shortening and reworks. There's a lot of boring fetch quests all throughout the vanilla MSQ and it's not very interesting until it gets near the end. Then there's an insane amount of quests at old 50 cap to progress into the expansion areas that are really tedious. There's also one notorious dungeon at the end of the 2.0 MSQ that has cutscenes inside the dungeon, so generally everyone else will keep clearing the dungeon while new players sit there watching cutscenes after cutscenes without seeing the bosses or anything, it's just poorly designed.

That said, once you power through this pretty shitty part, it gets a lot better. Heavensward(1st expansion) MSQ is a lot better written and has a lot less garbage around it, the dungeons are better, the zones are prettier, the skills are nicer and so on. Similarily at the end of that there's a bunch of quests from the 60cap before Stormblood(current expansion) but again they're better and a lot more interesting overall.

Combat is slower than WoW with a GCD of 2.5secs, shortened to 2secs for some melee classes. Overall it plays fairly different than wow, even though it uses the same concepts.

I'd recommend checking the trial first. It goes up to lvl 30 now which is a fair amount, if you hate the game at 30, you might like it later but not guaranteed, and if you like it enough you can just buy the game then. 30 doesn't take very long mind you, especially if you pick a preferred server(servers with lower pops, they currently have incentive for playing on them, you get 15days of free subs if you reach 30 on them and you have 100% bonus xp until 60 letting you skip most of the sidequests shit. 15days sub only works if you have an actual sub, won't give you 15days of sub on a trial account but will add them once you upgrade).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So now that I've capped and finished all the MSQ currently in game here's my score:

ARR: 5
Super rough, the story is just uninteresting and almost pointless except for a few points. Most of the quests are annoying fetch quests. There are a few bright spots but mostly junk. Spend the money to skip this. Many classes/jobs are just mind numbing at low level and it's silly they haven't gone back and frontloaded a couple more abilities to everyone and just made some of the class/job quests for gear or vanity items. It's not unplayable but it was more of a 'grind to get through' than interesting in and of itself. Only bearable on servers with the 'Road to 60' double exp buff, IMO, I would have quit (or purchased the skip) without this 100%.

HW: 8
Great themes, good quests, great zones and overall just fun. Even most of the 'patched' inter-expac content was good quality. Overall, it was only cut down by the last act of the HW main storyline which goes sort of insane with extra storylines coming back when they're not wanted and the last zone which would make an interior decorator commit suicide if they saw it. Otherwise it was great - new jobs were decent as well.

SB: 7
Gyr Albania is awful, drab, boring, I don't care at all about their motives and the quests are pretty poor. Doma is actually decent and interesting and fairly varied. When I went back to Albania I really started to lose interest in progressing. The content was alright, but not really the same quality as HW. New jobs are probably the best in game (play style wise) but loses its steam towards the end story wise.

Malakriss

Crafting thoughts going forward:

- 4.1 likely to bring a 2-star crafting set requiring FC3s and possibly job-specific
- 4.2 might also bring in a capped green scrip and generic 2-star crafting set (no overmelds)
- 4.3 would bring the 3-star ironworks equivalent and "final" crafting set

- 3-star requirements would be somewhere around 1560/1380
- 4-star requirements would be somewhere around 1820/1560
- CP VI = 2x CP IV but this is not true for Control or Craft. CP VI may have a short shelf life for 2-star level gear but then would require an additional slot covered by CP Vs anyways.
- 2-star gear should have 8 CP to meld and 3-star 9 or 10 CP. Exceptions for earring/necklace/bracelet would be 16 CP (70**) and 18 CP (70***) open for melds. Again 18 CP = 3x CP V

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Savage 4 already cleared by angered fc. So atleast we know it's not a gear cockblock. Gonna hold off on calling it too easy until I see a bunch more clears but it's definitely looking that way. A far cry from a1-4s