Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
There's an app or something called ACT, Active Combat Tracker. I haven't used it, but I think it monitors dps in real time. Not certain.

Edit: no addons in this game

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah ACT is a 3rd party app, monitors real time dps and also has an overlay for when in game (gotta be in Windowed or Borderless Windowed).

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Live Letter XXXVII went live today, questions regarding patch 4.05 and future patches.

Savage Omega:
-YoshiP plans to have Omega be harder then Creator for sure, but not as hard as Gordias.
-Random weapon drops like previous tiers, but there will also be a unique drop that will give the winner a weapon for their job.

Tanks:
-A minimum amount of strength will be added to tank accessories alongside vitality with the intent to make the 270 accessories obsolete in current content. The downside being the additional strength will not scale the same as Vit when going up in ilvl.
-Due to paladins overwhelming defensive kit they have decided to nerf Holy spirit, and buff the damage of both Warrior and Dark Knight, design intent is to have War and Dark Knight do more damage then paladin.
-When level syncing tanks will be given additional strength, no other jobs will get this.
-No plans to change tenacity at this time.

Warrior:
-Changing Stances no longer reduces gauge by half (removed).
-Storm's Path Combo Potency will be increased.
-removal of the cost of unchained and inner release.
-Shake it off will be reworked for 4.1, not the upcoming 4.05. They agree the ability is underwhelming.

Dark Knight:
-Potency increase to Dark Arts
-Potency increase to Souleater combo.
-Quietus will gain an additional affect, but may not be in by 4.05

Paladin:
-Changing Stances no longer reduces Oath gauge by half.
-Holy spirit will see a potency nerf and/or longer cast time.

Healers:
-No plan at this time to change the role actions for healers, but they are taking feedback on the issues.
-By 4.1 they want to revert the change so that aetherflow and Astrologian cards will show up on the party window again. They also are working on a solution for two white mages in a party and how confession stacks are displayed.

Scholar:
-Miasma 2 will be reintroduce to scholar only.
-Emergency tactics cooldown changed to 20 seconds.
-Indomitability [stay tuned]
-Strengthening Excogitation
-Changed the range of Fey Union to 15 malms.
- Aetherpact has been changed to increase Faerie Gauge even when Aetherflow actions does not inflict an effect on the target.
-Introduction of a trait reducing the cooldown of Aetherflow.

Astrologian:
-Arcana and Royal Road cards can now be discarded via an action.

White Mage:
-Adjustments to the rate of which Healing Lilies are granted.
-Plenary Indulgence will see some major adjustments.

DPS:

Black Mage:
We made a couple of adjustments which black mage players will understand.
Also, when doing their skill rotations, there are moments where they lose all their MP, so we’re making some adjustments to the MP.
- MP cost for Foul has been removed.
- Recast time for Triplecast has been reduced from 90 to 60 seconds.
- Recast time for Fire IV and Blizzard IV has been reduced from 3 to 2.8 seconds.

Ninja:
-Potency for Gust Slash will be reduced. The reason for this is because the players found a stronger skill rotation than those the dev. team was using while making adjustments.

Machinist:
-Hot Shot Increased physical damage effect from 5% to 8%. Increase to Heat Gauge reduced from 10 to 5.
-Removed the Heat Gauge reduction effect from Quick Reload.
-Increased Rook Overload potency from 400 to 800.
-Increased Bishop Overload potency from 300 to 600.
And more.

Dragoon:
-Changes to sight abilities.
-Potency buffs.
-increased range on dragon sight.
-BOTD increased duration to 20 seconds
And more.

Misc:
-Instances will return with 4.05 to deal with congestion. May be limited to Lochs and Yanxia
-Working on simplified versions of the job gauges, no time table given.

***All of this info is subject to change with the release of the patch coming this Tuesday.

Last edited:

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you do the lighnings and don't cloud the raid, how can you lose on Susano? Lakshmi on the other hand people have trouble not getting 2nd on aggro list, positioning cross beams, hitting vril on two abilities in a row, not killing adds right after the vril buff jumps, pairing off during charm, etc.
I've seen the enrage 5 times now.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Maybe i'm super lucky, but most of my Lak runs were complete faceroll on PF. Took me a few hours to get all my accesories and close the book on that bitch. Susex took me all week to slowly get 10 tokens for my weapon through PF. Between shit DPS and lightning slackers it was a nightmare. One bad attempt meant everyone rage and drop. Farmed my last 4 tokens with an actual competent party and it was super fun though. So much so that I stayed and did an 11th run and got my weapon drop seconds before server restart.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Probably, it's the same as HW pretty much, make sure to get all the ones with the compass thing as you level up(some zones are MSQ locked to a higher level, similar to Sea of Clouds in HW), and do the sidequests that reward them, so you unlock flight asap. But it's basically the same as what you should have been doing in HW so nothing really important there.

Also unlike HW, you can level to cap mostly on MSQ, at least when I leveled I didn't touch any sidequests. I had rested xp the whole way though but still shouldn't be that far, and that was with like one dungeon run every time cause long queues as DPS. Talking of dungeons, the one thing you might miss is the 63 dungeon. It's not part of the MSQ, it has its own sidequests in the Ruby Sea. Once you unlock the underwater stuff there as part of the MSQ you can get the quest I think, it's in Sui-no-sato. Other than that it's basically more of the same.

Well so this hasn't been my experience at all so far. I've had to do maybe ~100-200 side quests now :( Keep outquesting my level with just MSQs.

Maybe I'm missing some big EXP thing I should be doing?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe just no rested? I did do a bunch of frontlines at 60 too cause the MSQ was broken so maybe that was it I don't know. But it was like 4-5 maybe, although it was pernerf so that's almost a full level.

Also my usual daily routine for leveling involves doing leveling+50/60+frontline roulette, as well as HW+SB hunts(SB hunts as they unlocked obv, think first one is 63) and Vath+Vanuvanu quests. Those give like a solid half a level, more with armory bonus and I did that everyday on top of the MSQ so yeah that might be why. I was doing the beastmen for rep anyway since I didn't play much during HW.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
The way the dungeons for the two expansions are designed, on odd levels you get a chain bonus which is worth a lot of extra experience but you do not get this bonus for even levels. So when you unlock a new dungeon run it 3 times for a full level. On even levels do MSQ, Leveling Roulette, and Trial roulette. Do sidequests/fates if waiting in queue. The 50/60 roulette isn't worth the time investment really unless you're just really sick of doing other methods. Abusing the chain bonus is the key to leveling fast as it allows for more MSQ experience on even levels. Here is some of the math and the strategy I used to be first day 70 on launch day, under 20 hours.

Exp Needed to level | MSQ Experience gained
60-61: 4,470,000| Level 60: 3,682,000
61-62: 4,873,000| Level 61: 2,457,000
62-63: 5,316,000| Level 62: 2,019,600
63-64: 5,809,000| Level 63: 1,533,600
64-65: 6,364,000| Level 64: 1,998,000
65-66: 6,995,000| Level 65: 2,079,000
66-67: 7,722,000| Level 66: 2,116,000
67-68: 8,575,000| Level 67: 3,585,600
68-69: 9,593,000| Level 68: 2,322,000
69-70: 10,826,000| Level 69: 1,922,400

Suggested Method: (Non MSQ-Roullete methods in order of efficiency, Highest level dungeon/frontlines/potd 51-60/SB hunt quests/fates/HW Beast Tribe quests/sidequests.)
60-61: Do the main story quests, and then you'll get the remaining 1.2 million from Leveling and trial roulette.
61-62: Do the first dungeon, 3-4 runs maximum for a full level. Use challenge log experience here if possible.
62-63: Do the 61 and 62 MSQ chains, you'll have 839k experience left at worst.
63-64: Unlock the optional dungeon in Ruby Sea and do 3-4 runs for a full level.
64-65: Do the 63 and 64 MSQ chains, you will have 2.8m to make up at worst. Use the list from above for efficiency, use roullete(s) if they have reset.
65-66: Do the level 65 dungeon 3-4 times for a full level.
66-67: Do the level 65 and 66 quests, you will have 3.5m to make up at worst.
67-68: Do the level 67 dungeon 3-4 times for a full level.
68-69: Do the 67 and 68 MSQ chains, you will have 3.68m to make up for at worst.
69-70: Do the level 69 dungeon 3-4 times and ding 70. Do the MSQ quests between queues.

*If you are a tank or healer you can add the Main Story Roulette to the list of dailies.
**Only do sidequests if you have unlocked flying in the zone you are questing.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finished all my DoL/DoH today, cooking was pretty quick in the end and botanist/mining are super fast if you actually bother doing only that(collectables rotation), 0leves remaining, just right.

All in all it looks like I spent 11m doing it, includes all spending so it wasn't just that, I had to buy gear for my retainers for example and travel costs and stupid shit like that but that should be pretty close, had 36m when I started seriously doing GC turn ins and stuff and now have 25m. I bought a lot of 30-100k GC turn ins cause I was too lazy to make them(hell first few days I was just buying NQ vendor shit in Azys La, it was like 500k a day for pitiful xp cause I didn't want to craft). Rough estimation of the money I made from leveling crafting/gathering, selling random stuff I didn't need, HQ I made too many of and NQ I messed up, quest fishes I fished more than one of and so on, while still keeping a large amount of stuff "in case of" as well as all materias seems to be about 10 to 15m. So broke even(actually made a bunch of money cause ventures running non stop is pretty stupid atm if you can check them all day). Seems good.

It's gonna be nice not having to collect this or craft that or check the market for GC stuff everyday from now on.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Should I bother with crafting stuff at all right now? I don't know if maybe something like alchemist makes a huge difference but I don't need the others except for making gil or something.

Also, what should I save vs. throw out? I see the glamour system (which I haven't used at all yet but I've unlocked) seems to be like old WoW xmog so you need to save the items, I'm not sure what you can and can't get back later on.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Should I bother with crafting stuff at all right now? I don't know if maybe something like alchemist makes a huge difference but I don't need the others except for making gil or something.

Also, what should I save vs. throw out? I see the glamour system (which I haven't used at all yet but I've unlocked) seems to be like old WoW xmog so you need to save the items, I'm not sure what you can and can't get back later on.
Crafting is its own thing, you don't need any of them, and if you want one of them, you'll want all of them(to like various levels for cross class skills but to cap for materials from various crafts used in other crafts). For raiding you'd want food and potions but the time and money invested to craft them yourself could pay for your mats for a long ass time. You can check it out but it's not wow crafting where you go from 0 to cap in 2hours and shit, it's a long process(or well kinda long depending on the depths of your pockets, since you can throw money at it and cap it in a couple of hours in theory).

For glamour, you can get everything back, either by running the dungeon to get the drop, or if it's quest shit you can just buy it again from a NPC(Calamity Salvager in all 3 capital cities). So kinda doesn't matter too much but if you really like an armor might as well keep it so you don't have to get it again later.

Edit: Alchemy thing you might remember is ppl discussing crafting lvling. Alchemy is one of the big ones you want asap for Tricks of the Trade and Comfort Zone which are pretty big for CP management(although a lot less so in SB levels with all the new tools, but it's still free CP sometimes).

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So is there a reason to keep all of these crafting mats I have banked. I have two retainers full of miscellaneous trash like skins and horns and rocks and shit. I'm guessing none of it is actually rare.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So is there a reason to keep all of these crafting mats I have banked. I have two retainers full of miscellaneous trash like skins and horns and rocks and shit. I'm guessing none of it is actually rare.

Dump it all. There aren't "rare" mats in this game.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Doma was pretty decent.

Back to Gyr Albania, more drab shit no one cares about where you fight with a bunch of incompetent Mujahadeen against a Scotswoman and a dude with a golf bag full of swords.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The way the dungeons for the two expansions are designed, on odd levels you get a chain bonus which is worth a lot of extra experience but you do not get this bonus for even levels. So when you unlock a new dungeon run it 3 times for a full level. On even levels do MSQ, Leveling Roulette, and Trial roulette. Do sidequests/fates if waiting in queue. The 50/60 roulette isn't worth the time investment really unless you're just really sick of doing other methods. Abusing the chain bonus is the key to leveling fast as it allows for more MSQ experience on even levels. Here is some of the math and the strategy I used to be first day 70 on launch day, under 20 hours.

MSQ Experience Gained/Exp needed to level:
60-61: 3,682,000/4,873,000
61-62: 2,457,000/5,316,000
62-63: 2,019,600/5,809,000
63-64: 1,533,600/6,364,000
64-65: 1,998,000/6,995,000
65-66: 2,079,000/7,722,000
66-67: 2,116,000/8,575,000
67-68: 3,585,600/9,593,000
68-69: 2,322,000/10,826,000
69-70: 1,922,400/12,310,000

Suggested Method: (Non MSQ-Roullete methods in order of efficiency, Highest level dungeon/frontlines/potd 51-60/SB hunt quests/fates/HW Beast Tribe quests/sidequests.)
60-61: Do the main story quests, and then you'll get the remaining 1.2 million from Leveling and trial roulette.
61-62: Do the first dungeon, 3-4 runs maximum for a full level. Use challenge log experience here if possible.
62-63: Do the 61 and 62 MSQ chains, you'll have 1.3m experience left at worst.
63-64: Unlock the optional dungeon in Ruby Sea and do 3-4 runs for a full level.
64-65: Do the 63 and 64 MSQ chains, you will have 3.46m to make up at worst. Use the list from above for efficiency, use roullete(s) if they have reset.
65-66: Do the level 65 dungeon 3-4 times for a full level.
66-67: Do the level 65 and 66 quests, you will have 4.28m to make up at worst.
67-68: Do the level 67 dungeon 3-4 times for a full level.
68-69: Do the 67 and 68 MSQ chains, you will have 4.91m to make up for at worst.
69-70: Do the level 69 dungeon 3-4 times and ding 70. Do the MSQ quests between queues.

*If you are a tank or healer you can add the Main Story Roulette to the list of dailies.
**Only do sidequests if you have unlocked flying in the zone you are questing.

So I tried to do this, just hit 68 but did all the MSQs in 67 in 67 instead of waiting. Is it worth spamming Doma Castle again or no because it's not an odd level? Maybe I'm missing what that 'chain bonus' thing is with the dungeons.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
So I tried to do this, just hit 68 but did all the MSQs in 67 in 67 instead of waiting. Is it worth spamming Doma Castle again or no because it's not an odd level? Maybe I'm missing what that 'chain bonus' thing is with the dungeons.

The game rewards you with bonus xp for killing mobs the same level as you. The bonus increases the more you kill in a row in a short interval of time. This applies in groups or solo. This applies in the open world and dungeons. You can see the bonus and the timer on the xp bar and the bonus percentage and amount in the log messages.

So the best xp in a dungeon is when you are there same level as everything inside.

My advice for DPS classes only is to Not obsess over the bonus and to queue for the highest level dungeon you have available at all times and quest until the timer pops.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Another pearl of wisdom: you get bonus XP for leveling your second job for each level that it isn't the highest. You also get faster queues for dungros on track and healer jobs. So if I were doing by it over, I would have leveled my WHM to 70 before SAM, SUM, or RDM to give the dps classes the added bonus.

This is only relevant if you intend to level more than one job, of which, one is a tank or healer.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Is there any logical reason they make raid loot so overly confusing?? I spent 2 hours last night getting parts for gloves I already got last week.... I know i'm an idiot and I fucked up but why can't the parts just be named after the piece they make. If its like HW, its only gonna get more and more confusing when savage starts. You need currency to get currency to get currency, like really?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there any logical reason they make raid loot so overly confusing?? I spent 2 hours last night getting parts for gloves I already got last week.... I know i'm an idiot and I fucked up but why can't the parts just be named after the piece they make. If its like HW, its only gonna get more and more confusing when savage starts. You need currency to get currency to get currency, like really?
The description of the item says what they're for. Like Cranks say: "Can be traded for special arm gear". Shafts say Body and so on. But yeah they do have a ton of currency and shit systems to trade. I guess they don't want stuff like "glove token" to drop so they give them weird names and lore friendly ways they get converted and shit like that. They also always have these upgrading systems where you can drop one tier but also drop an item that upgrades it to +10ilvl and such.