Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyonecelse dislike that now all skills are cross class? No more picking 3-5 of them. Just got instant button overload for a bunch of meh style actions

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyonecelse dislike that now all skills are cross class? No more picking 3-5 of them. Just got instant button overload for a bunch of meh style actions

My guess is that they are trying to collect data on the number of abilities that players will bind and what role actions are actually used in encounters. A couple things brought my to this guess.

1. They have introduced a new client-server system for uploading/backup UI and settings. This feature was released in the same patch.
2. Even though players have access to the full array of role actions, no encounters require additional said role actions this patch. (stun, silence, etc).
3. There have been rumors floating around about ff14 making it over to the switch.

I definitely don't like 10 role action system as a raid tank main, provoke, shirk, rampart , and reprisal are all mandatory. So for the 5th your choice was between, awareness , convalescence, anticipation, or silence/stun. Now for raiding you have to take the base 4, awareness, convalescence, anticipation, and ultimatum. With stun and silence being the situational two. I'd like to think they have a reason for the change, but I could see them just being short sighted as well. We will know more with 5.0 details.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm super thankful that tanks can grab Ultimatum now. It means we can Provoke-Shirk at the start of every fight without having to worry about an incoming tank swap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I don't dislike it. I more dislike that most of them aren't very useful or extremely situational (for DPS anyways)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't dislike it. I more dislike that most of them aren't very useful or extremely situational (for DPS anyways)
Which is why they made them all available, because before some would never see use due to being super situational and only useful to pick if they could beat the "big 5" for your class, which most classes had. Like for pretty much every class it was 4 set in stone actions and then one swapping between stuff based on the fight, and the rest was worthless, and you had to use macros to switch them on the fly(and possibly on your bar), it felt very poorly designed because it was never a true choice or customization, which is why they removed it.

I think it was fine, but it does makes some class really fucked on hotkeys though. Like I played my WHM a bit, got 5 new abilities, no problem, I barely had 2 bars to begin with so I can fit cleric stance/rescue easily somewhere nice. Meanwhile I switch to my SCH and I was already on 3 full bars almost, so I have to drop some of that shit on bars I have to click instead and it feels like shit. Same for PLD, on one hand sure I like that I can use Ultimatum and the Stun thing for dungeons again and get all the parry/convalescence/awareness for dungeons, but god fuck is it annoying to find keybinds for all of them.

I sure hope they're going to merge abilities together and shit next expansion, especially with new skills coming. At the very least, they should give us as an option the PvP system of compressing combo actions into one key. Basically have Threat Move, DoT move and Damage move on 3 buttons, and they all do the chains on their own, instead of having 6buttons to do the same thing. It's not like I ever want to press any of the combo moves without the previous combo move before it anyway. The days of using a raw Halone for snap threat are way fucking gone if they even existed, I don't even know if it still works, so I don't really get the point of having to press Fast Blade and Savage Blade/Riot Blade anyway, doesn't add any depth or mechanical difficulty, it's literally just eating keybinds for the sake of it.

They had plenty of time to test the PvP actions for a whole expansion, this shit should be ready to be implemented as an option for PvE too. But while I can easily see ways to shave 5-6 abilities from PLD without losing anything of value, it's a lot harder for SCH, a lot of their abilities are situational, but very strong in these situations and not easily merged or changed without nerfing them heavily.

Although I guess SCH could use some nerfs and not be too much of an issue, removing Deployment for example would probably be good for the game since they have to scale raid wide aoe on phase changes and whatever on the assumption that you can do it without a SCH, but having a SCH who crit Adlo then spread the shield massively mitigates the aoe a lot more than intended. One change I was thinking of was removing Aetherflow, and simply having it generate automatically over time, 1 charge every 15secs, while making it so spending any will regenerate 33% of the mp value of Aetherflow, so basically no change, just removing the action and a nerf to being able to dump 1-2 excess and recharge to 3 instantly but shouldn't be too impactful and save a slot while making it more newb friendly for ppl who forget to aetherflow. I think the new Exco is also pretty poorly designed, it's just Lustrate but slightly different. They could simply have the functionality on Lustrate, make it a passive, Lustrate now leaves a buff on the target for 45secs and if the target reaches 50%, they get healed for the difference between the 2(200potency). Don't need 2 abilities to do that. After that it gets harder, other than straight removing abilities as a nerf. I guess Bane and Energy drain could be combined, Rouse could be removed and have the role action Largesse also do it(a pretty big nerf but eh).

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kriptini Kriptini That's a remarkably celibate picture there. Not a single harem girl in sight.
As a healer, yes and no. I think it's pretty clear that they'll be scrapping Role Actions (or rehauling the concept) in 5.0, and giving us everything is the interim bandaid.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Already got an account so no thanks. Just didn't want to pop $15 on it if I wasn't sure
They generally don't do them right when they do a big new patch. More like 2months into a patch, and when events aren't on or so. There is a welcome back campaign stuff that still runs all the time I believe, but you need someone who has you on their friend list to invite you to that, so it's very limited in scope, and you need to not have played for 90days or whatever.

Should be less than 15 though if you play only one char. It's 10.99euros to resub so should be like 12.99$ or so I'd assume? Not much less but little bit helps. There's generally more content to do than most 15bucks games will give you if you come back after a few patches though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They generally don't do them right when they do a big new patch. More like 2months into a patch, and when events aren't on or so. There is a welcome back campaign stuff that still runs all the time I believe, but you need someone who has you on their friend list to invite you to that, so it's very limited in scope, and you need to not have played for 90days or whatever.

Should be less than 15 though if you play only one char. It's 10.99euros to resub so should be like 12.99$ or so I'd assume? Not much less but little bit helps. There's generally more content to do than most 15bucks games will give you if you come back after a few patches though.
Yeah figured as much. I'll just be waiting until.i have a clear schedule.to actuall play

Cybsled

As a healer, yes and no. I think it's pretty clear that they'll be scrapping Role Actions (or rehauling the concept) in 5.0, and giving us everything is the interim bandaid.

I recall them mentioning something about redoing/rehauling that entire system next expansion. When you think about it, it's pretty much just a hold over from the pre-SB system of class development/leveling. I wouldn't be surprised if they either bake them into the existing class abilities that aren't used too often as is or just make consolidated base skills that cover much of what these do.

I also think some classes might see some ability consolidation. For instance with SAM, you have a shared opener move, but then for 2 of the symbol combo moves, they are an additional 2 ability presses (and 1 more for the other). I think they could just make it like PVP where those 3 buttons become 1 button and your 3 core combos, instead of totalling 6 different buttons, become 3 buttons...but continued presses of the button activate the next move in the combo.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
TL;DR Alphascape Normal is Squeenix going "OK, casuals, it's high time you learned how to handle simultaneous and one-two mechanics."

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Is the leveling still a pain in the dick for anything that isn't your "MSQ class" which is what I called mains in this game.

Like can I pick a class and just grind it out entirely in a 3 day weekend like in most games?

Cybsled

Roulettes and running Command Missions with your squadron are decent for leveling alts if you are burned out on POTD.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Is the leveling still a pain in the dick for anything that isn't your "MSQ class" which is what I called mains in this game.

Like can I pick a class and just grind it out entirely in a 3 day weekend like in most games?

You could go far grinding POTD in a 3 day weekend if you were committed/had pals.