Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yes, but you'll hate yourself.
So still pretty bad for the leveling experience? That's the one thing really holding me back. A character to being able to have every job really appeals to me but they made it so damn grindy to get there and I totally understand why.

I think I had Bard to 58-60 when I quit and a bunch of jobs in the teens - 30's.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Just finished Alphascape normal not sure how I place the difficulty. Did it with four guldies and various pugs.

Super fun set of fights first in era raids I've done as well. Makes me excited to up my ilvl and do Savage.

Sitting at 363 right now.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So still pretty bad for the leveling experience? That's the one thing really holding me back. A character to being able to have every job really appeals to me but they made it so damn grindy to get there and I totally understand why.

I think I had Bard to 58-60 when I quit and a bunch of jobs in the teens - 30's.

The fastest way to level is to spam the Deep Dungeons which are basically roguelike dungeons. The cool thing is that you get all your skills (you get your level 60 skills from 1-60 and your 70 skills from 60-70) but it's still very grindy.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The command missions are super fast too and easy. Ive been leveling other classes while i wait for content and it often goes too fast. There are some gaps and its far from interesting but is pretty easy. Some tips

Do the weekly challenges, nice bonus xp for various things
Daily roulettes are amazing xp
Levequests with above to hit 50asap
50/60 have daily and weekly hunt boards, actually give awesome xp
Beast tribe quests give surprisingly good xp
Command missions. Normal dungeon but with bot team. Mostly same as dungeon finder but for dps classes zero queue
Palace of the dead and the new one

So yea, if you wanted to you could grind it out over a weekend id bet. Its just not exciting but then again what game is for leveling char 2+? Ive been doing it casually by just doing weekly challenges and daily dungeons with my non main classes and ive got over half to 70 since this expansion. I play very casually.

Biggest hurdle is if your gesr sucks. Upgrade your weapon from marketboard frequently

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad you can bring all the cross-class skills now on healer and tank at least. I was sick of having to create 3-4 macros to switch skills depending on the content, it just felt clunky for no real reason.

There was a few dungeons where Esuna was just unnecessary unless people stood in fire, but unless those team-mates were people I trusted (or knew irl) they'd inevitably get super paralysed and I wouldn't have Esuna on my bar.

I'm a fan of using skills in unorthodox ways so It's nice to have more options, they cool little things you can do with Cover on PLD shows how robust the skill system could be if they designed interesting niche skills here and there.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm

The worst experience gap in the game comes from 20-50, the rest isn't that bad if you know how to do it efficiently. It all really depends on your goals, if you are looking to level a job quickly or you want to complete all 15 jobs efficiently. The only method for leveling a job quickly is a straight grind. The roulette system, rested, and chain bonus system can be used to efficiently level up multiple jobs at once for a much smaller time investment though.

Notes
-Armory bonus is +100% exp level 1-59, and 50% level 60-70.
-Rested Experience has a maximum capacity of 1.5 levels, which takes 4 days to fill when logged out in a sanctuary.
-On Odd level dungeons the player receives a chain bonus granting additional experience for mobbs killed.
-Multiple items grant an experience bonus while killing in dungeons, friendship circlet, moogle hat, brand-new ring, and Ala Mhigan Earrings.
-Use Squadron battle manuals for +15% experience or the free company 10-15% heat of battle buff when grinding out rested experience.
-Aim to complete dungeon and commendation challenge logs on even numbered levels.
-Palace of the Dead, Heaven's on High and Beast Tribe Quests do not use rested experience so use these to manipulate efficient use of rested experience.
-The most efficient way to do an Alliance roulette is to remove gear until you reach the minimum ilvl for labyrinth and sycrus tower. These are the fastest two. Equip when you enter.

The goal should be to get a job as quickly as possible to level 50 so you unlock more roulettes. On even levels do roulettes, potd, hoh, and beast tribe quests. On odd levels grind the highest level dungeon available to efficiently use rested experience and the chain bonus.

*HoH is not an efficient leveling method due to it being locked until level 61 and you only receive 50% of the armory bonus, with no access to rested experience or the chain bonus. There are much more efficient methods of leveling. 42 runs or roughly 11-14 hours for 9 levels isn't very time efficient. Only use this if your queues are >20m.
**Command missions consume rested experience at a very fast rate, the main one really worth doing for efficient leveling is Solm Al at level 53.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I notice you said potd up to 50, does that hold true for tanks? Thought someone said doing random dungeons on a tank is faster

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I notice you said potd up to 50, does that hold true for tanks? Thought someone said doing random dungeons on a tank is faster
Depends on the dungeon and how good/bad your DPS are and such. PotD is usually more consistent, but for levels during which a dungeon unlock so you get chain xp, you can definitely do these instead and get good results especially as a tank. If you're bored of potd you can also just do dungeons it's not really that bad generally and it's different than potd forever.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm

Kind of, the reason I put potd is because it allows for the pooling of rested experience. There are other quicker methods of leveling, for example adamantoise tear leve grinding in camp tranquil from 20-34 is more time efficient then Potd but just miserable to do. On paper, command missions are the fastest grind still if only focusing on 20-50. It really depends on individual goals though, you have to weigh efficiency vs. real life time. Rested experience value is increased the higher your level becomes, so the goal should be to use it as efficiently as possible without capping the 4 day maximum. So in theory potd is more efficient if you can do 20-50 in 2-3 nights, as you then have a full pool of rested for the 50-60 blocks.

So in theory if someone wanted to level all 15 jobs without jump potions to level 70 the most "efficient" way to do it would be:

-Level a Tank or Healer to 70 using the MSQ.
-Unlock RDM or Samurai for alliance roulette, 50/60 roulette, trial roulette.
-Level all jobs to level 16.
-Use leveling roulette on level 16 jobs, other roulettes on rdm/samurai
-Pool rested experience for 4 days by leveling 3rd job to 50 in potd.
-Once every job is level 20 use leveling roulette only on jobs 50+.
-When rested experience is completely depleted on 50-70 jobs run command missions for sub 50 jobs instead of potd, otherwise pool rested in potd.
-Unlock HW and SB Beast Tribe quests and do those daily for RDM or Samurai.

*Find a friend willing to do the same thing, and you have 12 jobs with at least one tank/healer queue.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Tanks usually get insta-queue, like in WoW. You might also like doing squardron command missions, since you control the healer+DPS bots and can get them to actually focus whatever it is you want to die, unlike players lol

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
You'll have to pay for access to my premium Snapchat if you want those.
@Kriptini I make no promises, Johnny49 of Lalas. : )

Noodleface Noodleface Pretty much what Cybsled Cybsled said about insta-queue dungeons. The 51-59 and 61-69 dungeons will give you pretty good bang for your buck exp wise (I want to say about 30% of a level off the top of my head but that could be way inaccurate) in addition to the fact that the 50+ "leveling dungeons" (not the ones at level cap) give you a guaranteed drop from the final boss in addition to what the bosses drop. It's randomly chosen but does not give you duplicates; it will pick something else if you already have it so you can theoretically farm a given dungeon for the 2 levels or so and be fully decked out after 11-12 runs at the worst (weapons are included in the random drop). I can't recall if they made that change for the sub-50 dungeons or not as well.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
366 ilvl now, got an item from almost every Alphascape normal.

Gonna start looking for a premade or some sort of learning group to start Savage when I hit 375 or so.

My FC has about 10 people in it but timezones and playtime's are out of whack to make a raiding static. Plus not everyone is interested in Savage.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did a few dungeons last night. They were ones I had done before but totally forgot. Took me about 5 minutes to get my bearing with rotations and shit and then I was off. Tonight I'll need to rexamine my spells and make sure I have everything (for instance, didn't realize I could take 7 role abilities).

Only had one dungeon where a dps deemed I was too slow and started pulling ahead. I did tell them that I hadn't played in awhile and most people were cool about it.

Got two levels in 3 dungeons so it was nice. Should be 50 in no time.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Did a few dungeons last night. They were ones I had done before but totally forgot. Took me about 5 minutes to get my bearing with rotations and shit and then I was off. Tonight I'll need to rexamine my spells and make sure I have everything (for instance, didn't realize I could take 7 role abilities).

Only had one dungeon where a dps deemed I was too slow and started pulling ahead. I did tell them that I hadn't played in awhile and most people were cool about it.

Got two levels in 3 dungeons so it was nice. Should be 50 in no time.
What server you playing on? Getting the itch to play some XIV. ESO just not doing it for me.

Argarth

On the verandah
Given Blizzard's direction in BfA right now, I'm tempted to give this another crack.

Loaded up the trial, and 220~250 ping to NA servers (from Oz) is kind of depressing after dealing with it for years in WoW prior to local servers. =(

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Given Blizzard's direction in BfA right now, I'm tempted to give this another crack.

Loaded up the trial, and 220~250 ping to NA servers (from Oz) is kind of depressing after dealing with it for years in WoW prior to local servers. =(
They actually moved the servers to west coast too iirc which cause a bunch of people to get worse pings, but yeah australia/NZ always get shitty pings unless the shit is basically there, even SEA servers tend to be kinda bad for AU/NZ.

The thing though is with the longer GCD, this game isn't so bad to play with some amount of lag. Just need to avoid Ninja since it's way too ping sensitive with mudras, but even then it's probably playable if you stick to fuma shuriken(which is what most people recommend anyway since double mudras will generally clip even at 20ms ping), although Ten Chi Jin is probably going to be garbage and you'll lose a fair amount of DPS everytime you do this or have to raw cast Suiton. It does make some shit less responsive too, like shields from Adlo or just heals in general, have to play with the delay in mind, I remember raiding on US servers with ~120ms ping before I transferred to EU servers after they added these and even that had to be accounted for to some extent.

But yeah game isn't really big enough to have servers in Australia I think, it'd probably not be worth it for them.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
They actually moved the servers to west coast too iirc which cause a bunch of people to get worse pings, but yeah australia/NZ always get shitty pings unless the shit is basically there, even SEA servers tend to be kinda bad for AU/NZ.

The thing though is with the longer GCD, this game isn't so bad to play with some amount of lag. Just need to avoid Ninja since it's way too ping sensitive with mudras, but even then it's probably playable if you stick to fuma shuriken(which is what most people recommend anyway since double mudras will generally clip even at 20ms ping), although Ten Chi Jin is probably going to be garbage and you'll lose a fair amount of DPS everytime you do this or have to raw cast Suiton. It does make some shit less responsive too, like shields from Adlo or just heals in general, have to play with the delay in mind, I remember raiding on US servers with ~120ms ping before I transferred to EU servers after they added these and even that had to be accounted for to some extent.

But yeah game isn't really big enough to have servers in Australia I think, it'd probably not be worth it for them.

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah agreed, we'll never see servers in Australia. Mind you, when I last played in 2014, the ping from here was wildly unstable and would frequently swing upwards to ~700 or even ~900 sometimes. That no longer seem to be the case, but it's still pretty noticeable.

To be honest, I'm mostly considering it again because Blizzard is really pissing me off right now. Another thing holding me back is catching up. Would need to pony up for the xpac(s) + at least one lvl60 boost & MSQ potion. I just couldn't bear the slog through ARR again from scratch. Not sure if i want to throw that much cash at a 250ms ping. Ah well, decisions!