Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The rudest people I've encountered in 14 match the everyday attitude of your average wow player for what it's worth. Worst insult I've received was someone making fun of my characters' face... Im sure things can get nasty in pug raids at times, but overall everyone is pretty decent.

I actually like the 4man size unless the healer is a primadonna that refuses to damage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The 14 community has been pretty non-toxic. The new guidelines really didn't change anything. The most toxic person I ever encountered in the game was someone who was telling me I was shit on my samurai for not AOEing. Reason: I was using dungeon roulette and was in the first dungeon of the game, level synced at a level where samurai have no AOE lol.

I ignored that shitbag and never saw him again ;p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xerge

<Donor>
Well that's good to know, I'm pretty sure WoW/Legion gave me PTSD when it comes to PUG's. I'll just dive in once I hit the first dungeon then. Otherwise enjoying the game, always been a fan of most of the FF games, so I can stand the occasional cutsey/goofy stuff.

Won't worry about the mounts then, if no huge difference I'll wait till later.

As a newb you basically have a sign over your head that says im new with the sprout icon by your name. What this means is that this game has a community so chill that people automatically explain shit in group chat when they see the sprout. Although dungeon 101 in this game until 50 so far: only the last boss has a mechanic you would need to worry about. Its still all the MMO basics like kill adds, move out of red, and interact with environment. Which is why Halls of Novice (do this btw) should be required in stead of optional; free set of gear and learn MMO basics. Biggest difference between WoW dungeon crawl and ffxiv is the limit break use id say.

At one point ive had entire groups of sprouts while leveling recently.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I'll admit that FF6 themed magitek style mount is tempting as hell. I always thought those concept art pics of the armor were cool back when I obsessed over that game as a 15 year old, they seem close to those old manual images. I see black ones ingame, I'm assuming its something you can earn without spending cash?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll admit that FF6 themed magitek style mount is tempting as hell. I always thought those concept art pics of the armor were cool back when I obsessed over that game as a 15 year old, they seem close to those old manual images. I see black ones ingame, I'm assuming its something you can earn without spending cash?
The basic Magitek armor from FF6 is a reward for the final quest of ARR(the base game), it was basically the 2nd mount everyone got(well 3rd if people got the unicorn from the conjurer quest). There's then a golden ugly ass version as a reward for... something, forgot what and a white version for... something else I also forgot what, maybe as a drop from the boss that uses it? And there's a few variations, including one that looks like an older model.

There's a ton of mounts available ingame. They have a few in the cash shop but there's probably like 50+ mounts you can get ingame, and some are even easy to get. For example every MSQ gives you 2-3 just for that and you can buy a bunch with various currency or from farming old easy content. Also you can get bardings for your basic chocobo and dye it different colors, so that one's fairly customizable if you're into that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Nice, something that annoyed me about GW2 is the mounts looked boring unless you spent cash, or farmed a shitton of gold. I'll always go earn it yourself if its available.

I do the newbie training armor ASAP, it's the first time you don't look like you dress out of a bin at a 2nd hand store.

I'm a murder hobo, but I got style, ya know?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, fuk-a u! The 4 man system works because healers are expected to dps. You must press the buttons!

I get a serious hard-on everytime I get to spam holy on large packs of mobs. "Eat spammy spinning flashy novas, dickheads!"

You know how long it's been since I haven't been completely over-geared for a dungeon as a healer? Like probably well over a fucking decade. Like I quit WoW ~5.5 years ago, but even before that I was always either turbo-charged with heirlooms or wearing raid-gear from the previous expansion. So yeah I'll spam some stone if I've got a good tank and I'm feeling comfortable, otherwise you better believe im gonna be sitting there with full mana watching the tanks health bar like a hawk.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Healers refusing to DPS is like saying it's ok to stand around 90% of the time doing absolutely nothing.

The healing requirements in this game are a joke. If you want to be a semi-competent player you push buttons at a reasonable rate; naturally since there's no healing to do you reach for your damage spells.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yes, but GW2 is not a sub game, and their mounts are infinitely more interesting gameplay-wise than what FF14 has (or any other MMO for that matter) It frustrates me that other MMO's haven't tried what they're doing before, and probably won't again.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
You know how long it's been since I haven't been completely over-geared for a dungeon as a healer? Like probably well over a fucking decade. Like I quit WoW ~5.5 years ago, but even before that I was always either turbo-charged with heirlooms or wearing raid-gear from the previous expansion. So yeah I'll spam some stone if I've got a good tank and I'm feeling comfortable, otherwise you better believe im gonna be sitting there with full mana watching the tanks health bar like a hawk.

Two tips: most of your healing abilities are off the global cool down and your regens are strong as fuck.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Yes, but GW2 is not a sub game, and their mounts are infinitely more interesting gameplay-wise than what FF14 has (or any other MMO for that matter) It frustrates me that other MMO's haven't tried what they're doing before, and probably won't again.
Oh I agree, the actual mount mechanics in that game are amazing. The problem is my most used mount is a fucking giant goat rabbit, we know the real reason there are no muslims in the deserts of PoF... (although there is a literal death cult lol)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

The only time I think it's acceptable for a healer in this game to not be DPS'ing is if they're learning the fight, they have a shitty undergeared tank, or they haven't unlocked their off-gcd heals yet. I started my run through the game with the same mentality until I took a look at the sheer amount of time I was doing dick-all and I started mashing those dps spells, and only then did healing in the game really click for me.

As someone said previously, you're a dps job that just happens to also have heals.

Mind that I have no clue what level your healer jobs are, so I'm not directly criticizing what you're doing. I'm just saying that this is the path all healers have to walk to not be complete scrubs.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Two tips: most of your healing abilities are off the global cool down and your regens are strong as fuck.

Are you talking about ARR or expansion stuff? Either way I don't see myself playing much longer. Without HW or SB there really isn't anything for me to do other than farm ilvl 120/130 gear for content that nobody does anymore, which will become a waste of time if I did end up getting the expansions.

Don't really want to bitch about stuff I got for 'free', but if they wanted to get people hooked they should have handed out a free month of HW at least, maybe even SB, instead of just a free permanent copy of ARR.

Mind that I have no clue what level your healer jobs are, so I'm not directly criticizing what you're doing. I'm just saying that this is the path all healers have to walk to not be complete scrubs.

I just hit 50 with whm, I only have ARR so I won't be going any higher.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

That explains it. WHM really picks up once you unlock assize, tetrathingymabob, and can use medica 2 without worrying about mana. You become a whirling dervish of spell casting that just can't be stopped.

People aren't exaggerating when they talk about just how vastly different the game is in both story and gameplay at the expansion stages.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Are you talking about ARR or expansion stuff? Either way I don't see myself playing much longer. Without HW or SB there really isn't anything for me to do other than farm ilvl 120/130 gear for content that nobody does anymore, which will become a waste of time if I did end up getting the expansions.

Don't really want to bitch about stuff I got for 'free', but if they wanted to get people hooked they should have handed out a free month of HW at least, maybe even SB, instead of just a free permanent copy of ARR.

Good posts
See ya in July!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, is ISIS still active? I just fired this back up because it is still pretty as shit and I am tired of WOW.