Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I only made it to level 10 so far on my CNJ in phase 3. Does the game eventually explain the jobs system to you at some point?
Jobs aren't until 30 anyway, I assume a storyquest will explain it to you once you reach that, but storyquests stopped before 30 in P3 anyway. Basically at 30 in a class, your class trainer will unlock a new quest which also requires 15 in another class to start, and it's like a specific job quest where you end up getting rewarded the soul to change to the job.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Maybe I missed this discussion earlier. I didnt have as much time as anticipated over the weekend, so I got a Lancer to 10 and thats it.

So, when you get a class to 10, and want to level up another one, how does the quest/exp system work for that? From what I've seem theres 3? main cities? So when you run through a few classes and finish all the quests, how do you go about leveling the next? FATES/Grinding?

I must be missing something, but it seems like all the quests in that level range would be finished up so if you wanted to level another class in that range, you'd have to grind or do FATES, yes?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
After you exhaust all the quests in the 3 main cities from your first 3 classes, then yeah you'd be grinding FATES, hunting logs, and Leves - plus dungeons after 15.

lindz

#DDs
After you exhaust all the quests in the 3 main cities from your first 3 classes, then yeah you'd be grinding FATES, hunting logs, and Leves - plus dungeons after 15.
Where do you find hunting logs and leves? At level 10 I wasn't introduce to those? Do we just have to find them or will they be introduce to us at some point?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Hunting logs you have from the moment you start killing stuff. There was a pop-up help window at some point(well before level 10). Guildleves open up at 10 after I talked to an NPC. I don't recall which.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where do you find hunting logs and leves? At level 10 I wasn't introduce to those? Do we just have to find them or will they be introduce to us at some point?
Hit H for hunting logs. They are great too, the exp per level is very nice and the bonus is very nice. I'd say the only issue I had with it is they are specific to your starting city(ie mobs you need to kill are only around it). Though who knows if that changes late game.

Also: After enlisting in a Grand Company, a new category will be added to your hunting log.

I didn't even look at mine after entering the twin serpent company, will have to see what opened up when the beta opens again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I must not have noticed those. Thanks for the info, will take a look next beta round.
Hunting log is pretty easy to see because every mob in your log will have some sort of circle above their names, a bit like if it was a quest mob. So you kill those and it'll display in your chat how many you need and how many you have. There's 10 groups of mobs to kill(sometimes it's just one mob type, sometimes 3), each give about 1-2 quests worth of xp, then when you complete all 10 you get 10x the bonus and it unlocks next tier(which is higher level mobs). Hunting log is class specific so that's quite a decent bit of xp, but not enough for leveling really.

Leves are unlocked from doing the main storyquest up to a certain point, lvl 10ish, you're directed to them. Leves are basically repeatable quests, but you can only do them if you have points, and you only gain 3points a day(I really hope they boost that). You can have up to 100 saved up though so assuming you don't use them on your main, then you can just spam leves on your alts who are out of quests. Leves give fairly poor xp however, other than the first time you do them. Also there's guildhests which are 4man leves, same system. The interesting part about these is if you're grouped, you can get credit for other people's leves too, so it's best done in groups so you all grab a bunch of leves and chain them. Leves themselves are like instanced content in the middle of the real world. You go to the place, press Initiate on the leve log, and it spawns mobs that only people in your group can see and fight. You simply do the quest as usual then you can turn that in for a bit of bonus xp and sometimes item rewards too. There's crafting and gathering leves too but they use the same points so again it's something you want to save up.

Finally the obvious one is to just clear FATE, public quests, they give pretty good xp. It sucks if there's no one around though, especially the boss ones. The ones where you have to kill a bunch of mobs act like normal quests so they can easily be soloed, but the bosses ones are horrible to solo if you even can.

I believe the expectation is once you reach 15, which doesn't take that long even if you're out of quests, you'll chain dungeons and other group content, and it turns into typical FFXI grinding. Oh and also every 5 levels you get class quests, but that's not much xp, it unlocks new spells and shit though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Or you can just not bother leveling up any class that doesn't specifically have a spell you want to use on your main class/job. Jobs heavily restrict what you secondary abilities you can load, so if you plan to be using your job all the time there's very little need to level anything else. The only reason you'd do it would be if you want to take on a completely different role on the same character instead of making an alt. Which I guess some people might go for, since it would be easier to pick up rotting loot on your main job than to have to collect stuff on multiple characters.

The way I see it, if I go with CNJ to start, I can just level up that and GLD to 50 and have the option to switch between WHM and PAL to heal or tank as needed, and there's no reason for me to waste my time grinding levels in any of the other classes at all. Arcanist would probably have to level up CNJ and THM in order to take advantage of both Scholar and Summoner, so that's actually a point in favor of the CNJ that I hadn't considered before (my tolerance for grinding went to zero the day I stopped playing EQ).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah seems all of them, besides Arcanist stuff which I guess isn't even in the game yet. Still might change in numbers/power though but interesting site.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If that is all for WHM it is pretty underwhelming. Two spells on 5 min cooldown, one AoE (pbae / stun), and a useable HoT. Dragoon may be worse, think everything was at least 2 min for them. Not knowing how end game plays out my expectations could be way out of line. Guess I was hoping a little more flash and bang with these sub roles.

Sarg_sl

shitlord
I really hope they don't settle with the FATE system as their only 'extra' as far as xp and 'stuff to do' goes in game. I havent really spent the time to look but are leves and behests still in game? outside the questing, dungeons and good ol' grinding - FATEs are really the only thing the game seems to have for it as of now (even with the behests and leves, they're pretty gimmicky as is what with having to wait for them and/or travel to pick them up or start) it would be nice if they had something similar to Instant adventures like in rift to dump time or get some exping done on. Should be easy enough to implement i would think since it could basically be leve/behest type objectives rolled into one and just going around murdering stuff in the questlylike fashion it already is.. or maybe come up with something original...(not likely...)

They have a pretty good game and not lacking too much in the 'stuff to do' department - but then again they don't have PVP either so thats one less feature the game has going for it atm. I think of this as a fairly big deal because when leveling up classes/jobs... you've got a bunch of options and eventually some of them are going to get exhausted either by completion (quests) or monotony (grinding and maybe FATEs) which leaves dungeon crawling to be one of few activities that i personally don't mind doing a bunch, but even those can get stale. the first few times you run though the game doing wtfever this wont be an issue, but 8+ classes later? maybe so.

I'm sure theres a few other things that could be mentioned, some probably that were even live in 1.0, however the fact remains that they're kind of down on things to do compared to other games... and while it would normally take more than 1 character on other games to run through most everything, we've got 8+ classes in just a single character in this game.. and stuff may wear thin after a while. Of course I suppose none of this matters should the game happen to flop anyways... again.

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
If that is all for WHM it is pretty underwhelming. Two spells on 5 min cooldown, one AoE (pbae / stun), and a useable HoT. Dragoon may be worse, think everything was at least 2 min for them. Not knowing how end game plays out my expectations could be way out of line. Guess I was hoping a little more flash and bang with these sub roles.
At max level you can have an additional 10 other abilities from other classes I think.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At max level you can have an additional 10 other abilities from other classes I think.
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you choose a advanced job you only get abilities from the 2 classes it requires + the adv job abilities(which look to be only 5 of them, which seems really low). If you stay as a base class(don't equip a adv job soul) you can use any up to limit from a any class you leveled on that character?

I dunno the adv job seems kinda of pathetic if its really just 1 ability every 5 levels starting at 30. Unless I am missing something and there is more to it that provides a lot more diversity and depth?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think you get the main class abilities + the option to pick abilities from the secondary class and one other predefined class.

So when it says white mage: req 30 conj, 15 glad, allows glad and pug abilities what it means is you get all the conj abilities because it is the main class and then can slot the glad and pug abilities. Still if the class abilities are shit that is pretty restrictive.

If dots in this game are any indication of how regens will be WHM might not even be worth it. But if they are strong like a wow hot then that is pretty good since no other class will get any sort of mobile healing.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm so I pre-ordered, I had enough fun to warrant a purchase and its cheap for a new game(well not really new but I never bought the first version). Problem being I used my e-mail address tied to my US account when I did the pre-order and register to recieve the e-mail about when to redeem pre-order code. I play beta on a EU account because they gave me a EU code on accident. My worry comes when its time for p4 and the characters from there carry over. I read that Early Access comes after p4. So I hope that I can either play the US account for p4 or that I can assign the pre-order code to the EU account but it being EU have no effect on where I play or pricing etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's only main and sub class, no 3rd class. And job is only those 5 spells, mentionned that already last page and it's the same as 1.0. WHM arguably has some of the worst job skills though, regen is only the thing that stands out a bit and not even that much. Thing is you don't have to play WHM if you don't want to, it's not a permanent change or anything, if the regen isn't useful for the specific fight and you don't need the cooldowns, then you might as well stay CNJ. Regardless though there's not many abilities you can use as a CNJ that are useful from other classes, it's probably the least synergetic of all classes. Arcanist might have some good shit to steal we'll see but atm there's very very little. Mostly you'd replace the WHM cooldowns by THM cooldowns and maybe get the monk self heal if it's not on GCD.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the difference between :

http://na.square-enix.com

and

https://secure.square-enix.com/accou...n?cont=account

?

I can log into the first one fine(that's what was linked in pre-order e-mail to make a account). But that same information will not log into the 2nd. Are these 2 separate systems or something? The first one seems to be a more modern account/game setup and the the latter seems like a older version.

Edit : Hmm nvm. I finally got into the old ass account I used when I orginally alpha/beta tested this game(the first version). I will just use that account to play phase 4(since its open beta) and hopefully be able to assign pre-order code to that account when they allow it.

Still curious what that first website is. It's nothing like the 2nd, but they seem to be trying to do the same thing.