Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Not DPSing on healers is about the laziest shittiest way to play XIV possible. One world first doesn't suddenly make the JP meta worthwhile either, it just worked specifically for that encounter because it's one of the only pieces of content where damage is so high that you need to play in this hyper defensive conservative way (or did at least). There's nothing wrong with a speed meta in a game where 99% of the content is cleared better with a speed meta. If there's a problem it's that a ton of the content in XIV has rigid DPS checks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know alot of people just want to reach "the endgame" when just starting this game but honestly 2.4-3.5 story is great. I would not play this game like other MMO's where its a rush to get the max level and end content as half the fun in FFXIV is the journey.

There is very little to actually do for the max level end game unless you like to level sync down to previous tiers.
I don't get to play too much, so honestly I just want to get my character up to the point where they can access shb day one. If I did the msq right now I'd skip all dialog and cutscenes outside of sb

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't get to play too much, so honestly I just want to get my character up to the point where they can access shb day one. If I did the msq right now I'd skip all dialog and cutscenes outside of sb
Well ShB is pretty far off so you'd have time even doing the MSQ. You should definitely keep the HW MSQ for leveling though, and then buy a skip if you really don't care about the rest once 60. Also not sure if you've been using it already but you should preorder ShB to get the xp earring.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well ShB is pretty far off so you'd have time even doing the MSQ. You should definitely keep the HW MSQ for leveling though, and then buy a skip if you really don't care about the rest once 60. Also not sure if you've been using it already but you should preorder ShB to get the xp earring.
Huh yeah of course I'm using that

I'm not an IDIOT

HEH HEH

where the fuck is this site.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
I started playing about a week ago, got summoner to 52, and started mucking around with black mage that's now 41 in POTD. I've done all the ARR MSQ, but haven't started on the grind to open up HW. Debating on pushing the BLM to 52 and then questing on that, or doing the same with RDM. Playing on a 220ms ping isn't quite as bad on a caster, so I'm dreading playing melee at all, RDM might be too twitchy. Any advice where to go from here?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I started playing about a week ago, got summoner to 52, and started mucking around with black mage that's now 41 in POTD. I've done all the ARR MSQ, but haven't started on the grind to open up HW. Debating on pushing the BLM to 52 and then questing on that, or doing the same with RDM. Playing on a 220ms ping isn't quite as bad on a caster, so I'm dreading playing melee at all, RDM might be too twitchy. Any advice where to go from here?

I like the feel of RDM and hate the way BLM plays, but BLM is probably your best option if you have high ping. The good news is that BLM gets a few more tools to move around without breaking casting the higher its level gets. If you managed to stick through the times where you don't have F3 and B3, things are pretty much all uphill from there. The only latency-dependent procs you have to worry about with BLM are Thundercloud and Firestarter versus RDM's Verprocs or SMN's ruin procs + Ruda being a bitch and not using Contagion after you've mashed the button about 20 times.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
RDM would work fine too, it's not really twitchy, it has shorter cast time but it's still long enough that it doesn't matter. I guess the melee combo is pretty fast by FFXIV standards but since you don't need to weave much in it(sometimes your oGCDs, but only when they line up which is not always, and it's only one per attack), it's pretty alright. BLM works too, Summoner I'm not as sure, but I don't play it, I think they have some fairly ping sensitive shit going on during Bahamut window though.

Personally out of the 3 I like BLM the most and often take it out to do my roulettes if I don't mind waiting some. I love that it shits on dungeons really hard with stupid strong aoes and really good single target damage and the fights tend to be short enough you can generally work around all the moving stuff with just cooldowns, or you can stand in aoe and pretend you didn't see it while you keep casting since most shit won't kill you anyway. Matter of taste though. Also later on BLM you kinda have to hit Transpose between every trash pack on cooldown and that can be annoying for some people, but as someone who often plays monk with the chakra charging and the stance switching it's whatever.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Black Mage it is then, POTD has at least taught me most of the 60 rotation, and I actually enjoy the Transpose thing between some packs.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I want to play BLM because it was my main in ffxi but I've heard it's tough to play well

It's not too bad. To play optimally you do need to know encounters a bit though because BLM is pretty vulnerable when casting.

As you bring it to 70 you get things like Triplecast that let you run around and avoid mechanics whilst pumping out DPS.

It's not as fun as XI's BLM though, but at least you don't have to level up in Mount Zhayolm burn parties.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If 14 ever made BLMs able to cast while moving they probably could balance things a lot better, but otherwise you're screwed competitively unless you've memorized the boss patterns and know exactly where to stand with the absolute minimalist amount of movement and use Swift/Triplecast when you need to. "But if you're doing content for the first time how could you know?" You can't. And that's why 99% of progression groups don't bring BLMs.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah BLMs for progression isn't probably a great idea, but you can do RDM on progression and once you know the fight well enough switch to BLM for much much faster kills. Also I'd say there's progression and progression. If you're doing progression 2months after everyone else, you can probably find a good timeline of each fight and can map your swift/triple to the fight before you even step foot in there. It'll be something additional to memorize when learning the fight but it's certainly doable.

That's just for savage though, you can stumble your way through normal 8mans/24mans without a clue on how to map your stuff and just wing it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love how much history there is in FF, but at the same time, don't care to ever learn it myself. I skipped every cut scene and quest text in the entire game, and then when I tried watching a Youtube video on it, i got 2 minutes in and was bored stiff.

Although all this talk of BLM has made me want to play one. Mines level 17 at the moment, and I should probably change that!

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Although all this talk of BLM has made me want to play one. Mines level 17 at the moment, and I should probably change that!

Palace of the Dead, bro. Go smash it up on the THM, that'll give you the basic mechanics, doesn't take long to get to 30 with the double xp from having another job higher level.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Palace of the Dead, bro. Go smash it up on the THM, that'll give you the basic mechanics, doesn't take long to get to 30 with the double xp from having another job higher level.
Never hopped on this train. I love running my Squadron through dungeons instead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
PoTD and HoH can be awesome exp if you get a party that run through it quickly. You get players who want to open every chest or pull every mob wasting time.