Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm at work so can't watch video except during breaks and lunchtime. I was able to watch the Larryzaur Red Mage and Scholar because they are my 2 mains.

I like the Red Mage since it's mostly unchanged, and remains simple...I'm an old man, so I like easy. :)

I also like the Scholar changes, most people are not happy with the simpler DPS rotation, but I like it, I hated having to apply all those dots all the time. I really like that they gave Scholar a few more direct heals. The class was obviously fine as a healer, but I sometimes found it stressful when you fell behind in healing and had to bring someone back to full. The tools felt limited a bit. It seems they rounded up it's toolkit a bit, while keeping the focus on shields.

I also watched the Dancer video, damn that looks fun as hell. And it also looks cool and flashy which is very important. :)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Looking at the wiki, assuming they didn't forget it, Ninja loses Dripping Blades. They seem to have adjusted potencies to compensate, however between this and the loss of slashing debuff, I assume Fuma Shuriken will now be worse than Raiton in all cases, so we'll be going back to clipping city and more emphasis on low ping than ever before since the difference is substantial(280 to 400potency). On top of that you'll also have to double mudra for Hyoton every 60secs anyway for Kassatsu. That's nice-ish since Fuma Shuriken spam was a bit boring, but also means playing Ninja efficiently is going to be harder.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So the reason BLM has such an awful AF4 is so they can sell this outfit on the cash shop. Probably won't be dyeable either, GDI Square.

FFXIV_media_tour2019_20.png

Cybsled

I don’t play healers so I can’t comment, but reddit and other places are enraged with the healer changes. Sounds like they’ve been homogenized to a degree and have very limited dps options as well.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Can someone TLDR xeno's stuff about tanks?
Paladins are gods. Everything so far is good with them.
Dark Knights are better in Shadowbringers but not a good as they were in Heavensward. Resource management can be punishing.
Gunbreaker on papers seems like the weakest tank. (But that can change upon release)
EDIT: Wars. They are good. Again they are the one to gain the most threat through DPS and Upheavel is no longer based on HP just straight 450 potency.

But from what I gathered as of now pld is probably going to be the best overall tank.

Last edited:

Cybsled

One complaint I saw about Gunbreaker is they were a little too simple, so that could be good for people new to tanking, but a turnoff to seasoned people

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
One complaint I saw about Gunbreaker is they were a little too simple, so that could be good for people new to tanking, but a turnoff to seasoned people

Which might be a good thing as there is a lack of tanks in the game, so if it brings more people to the role I think it's going to be a good thing, veteran players can still play the other 3 tanks.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
From what I've seen it feels like WAR MT PLD OT is still going to be the go to, with WAR having excelent self mitigation and high damage(so high threat) and PLD still having busted OT skills with Intervention and Cover(although Cover was nerfed a bunch, since it now requires 50 gauge to use and they removed Enhanced Cover so it doesn't give a natural 20% mitigation for free anymore). Obviously that doesn't mean the other tanks won't be used, and maybe some will be used over these once the final potency are in and people can actually parse stuff. For all we know DRK is going to be shitting damage and GNB has fairly good utility so eh, we'll see.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
I believe that Enmity will no longer be a relevant concept in FF14 for anything other than tank swaps on single target. With the changes to tanks, a single tomahawk(or equivalent) + dps is enough to keep dps at sub 20% threat for an entire fight. The concept of "highest threat tank" means pretty much nothing now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Monk stuff is gonna be fun, stack freeze is 100% all I've ever wanted, sucked when running thru Daily's and always having them drop-off cause of slow people..

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Syrcus Tower premade alliance runs with only 1-2 tanks and 3 healers, rest DPS (including blue mages who can missile and do other crazy stuff) seem to be the go-to for farming currency.

15 minutes for 2 irregular tomes.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t realize blue mage got put into the game. How does it play? It always seemed like an interesting class in the other FFs. Is it more support? Heals? Damage? Mix of everything?

Cybsled

Blue Mage is an experiment, really. It is a "limited class". Can only level to 50 at the moment and you can't do normal roulette/duty finder or command missions. You can do preforms via party finder, though (which is the primary way you'll get into the dungeon/trials that "drop" spells)

Blues do get like 4x the XP gains, so you level super fast. You can solo pretty easy with them. To get spells, you basically need to combat specific monsters (regular and bosses) and learn their spell. In a group, every bluemage will learn the spell at the sametime if the spell "drops". Whether or not it drops is RNG, so it may take multiple attempts.

They are a mix, though. There is a tank stance ability spell you learn, you get an OP healing spell eventually, and lots of buffs/damage/debuff spells. They're interesting and can be "OP" at certain levels (learning 1,000 needles at low level is a must, since it lets you one shot lots of mobs until you hit your 30s), but more or less just an experiment at the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
BLU is fun to play when you're learning spells on the overworld, and it's absolutely dreadful when you have to star farming dungeons and trials for your last spells.

Cybsled

Ya, the dungeons/trials can be a PITA. The drops aren't guaranteed, so you may have to run them many times. Also, because the BLU rush is over, it may be hard to find party finders still going for the purpose of learning spells.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally hit 60. I levelled so slow, but time to hit stormblood. Hoping I can finish it relatively quickly before ShB

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Finally hit 60. I levelled so slow, but time to hit stormblood. Hoping I can finish it relatively quickly before ShB

Nice, it shouldn't be too bad. The only thing is that when you finish 5.0, you will be at a gearscore of 290-300 or so. To finish the post 5.0 content you will need to be at 360 for the final dungeon and that means Duty Roulette grinding.

It's not too bad to gear up since you get 360 gear from tome of mandacity, and 390 from tome of genesis. So there is a period while you advance through the post 5.0 MSQ where you will need to do a lot of Duty Roulette.

Since you probably won't have time to do Euraka for weapon upgrades, your best bet is probably a HQ 380 crafted one. Could be a bit expensive but it's worth it.

Cybsled

We're a month away from SrB. I wouldn't go nuts on spending lots of money on a 380 crafted, especially since it isn't super hard to get a 400 weapon from running Omega and the Return to Ivalice raids.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Nice, it shouldn't be too bad. The only thing is that when you finish 5.0, you will be at a gearscore of 290-300 or so. To finish the post 5.0 content you will need to be at 360 for the final dungeon and that means Duty Roulette grinding.

It's not too bad to gear up since you get 360 gear from tome of mandacity, and 390 from tome of genesis. So there is a period while you advance through the post 5.0 MSQ where you will need to do a lot of Duty Roulette.

Since you probably won't have time to do Euraka for weapon upgrades, your best bet is probably a HQ 380 crafted one. Could be a bit expensive but it's worth it.

Dont they usuallly remove the ilvl requirement right before the expansion? They did with Stormblood. Im just about done with the Stormblood main story and about to be hitting that grind... hoping I can just wait it out.