Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
...it has a different "feel"...
I hate the anime art influences and goofy Japanese crap, but that "feel" has a stranglehold over me that makes me keep logging back into this game. I nearly dismissed this game completely last week, but I kept at it. There is just something different about this game, something that makes it feel more like the logical evolution of the MMO genre I've been hoping for since EQ. Maybe it's the depth in the class/job design, maybe it's the extra layers of questing, maybe it's the slower pace of the combat... but this one is really growing on me.

And is Yoshi-P the Japanese incarnation of Brad McQuaid? Holy hell that man can write I wall of text.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Personally I don't judge a game's appeal or guess at it's longevity when the level cap is beta restricted and we have knowledge that all the characters will be wiped. Hard to get attached to any progress when you know it's getting a reset switched and you aren't even at the end of the leveling curve.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Thought the game was shit 1-10 but it's kind of grown on me during this weekend when I got up to 16. For $22 I'll try it out

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I hate the anime art influences and goofy Japanese crap, but that "feel" has a stranglehold over me that makes me keep logging back into this game. I nearly dismissed this game completely last week, but I kept at it. There is just something different about this game, something that makes it feel more like the logical evolution of the MMO genre I've been hoping for since EQ. Maybe it's the depth in the class/job design, maybe it's the extra layers of questing, maybe it's the slower pace of the combat... but this one is really growing on me.
Funny thing about the art design; A friend of mine hates the moogles, chocobos, Lalafel and the other campy elements of this game pretty much to the point where he won't play it. Where as I've played all the FF's since childhood and grown found of all the various elements. So here I am a middle aged man shouting "YES Moogles!!!" when I first saw them. Then my bud turns looks at me like I'm completely off my rocker. Good times.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
At the price it's sold I'm fine with even just getting one month(or a couple of weeks) of fun out of it. But I guess it depends on people, some won't find that fun, I liked leveling and following the story and class quests so far so I'm ok.
if I read this right if you already own the 1.0 version then you get ARR free. You can however upgrade to the digital CE edition if you want once ARR comes out.
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...96bf81c212957d

Players Who Own FFXIV Version 1.0
Players who own FFXIV version 1.0 will not need to purchase the PC version of FFXIV: ARR and will be able to download the FFXIV: ARR software for free.
* Details on downloading the FFXIV: ARR software will be provided at a later date.

Collector's Edition Digital Upgrade Service
The Collector's Edition digital upgrade offers customers the ability to upgrade their standard FFXIV account to Collector's Edition status via the ?FFXIV Service Center? website that is scheduled to be opened at the launch of official service, which then grants the in-game bonus items included with the Collector's Edition. Customers in possession of the Collector's Edition for either version 1.0 or A Realm Reborn will receive these Collector's Edition items without needing to purchase the upgrade.
* Characters that have already been created will be able to receive the items.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Green Man Gaming had a 25% off promotion that ended Friday. So you could get the regular for $22 and the CE for $37 (strictly digital copies)

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hopefully I'm just retarded but they are opening more content with Phase 4 right? This seriously cant be all the world map and areas....

lindz

#DDs
When do you get your airship pass? Or can anyone tell me the route I take to run from Gridania to Limsa Lominsa?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully I'm just retarded but they are opening more content with Phase 4 right? This seriously cant be all the world map and areas....
World map seems to suggest that the whole world is just the 3 towns with ~4 areas surrounding each. It's pretty small really and you could run on foot from one side of the world to the other in like 20mins.

I'm finding the game to be fun though and should be worth a month or two of entertainment. More if I get serious about grinding multiple classes/tradeskills to 50.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
liking it a lot better than 1.0 that's for sure.

Also I have a extra PC code if anyone wants to try it out, (you won't have beta forum access, but you can check it out)

Stave

Potato del Grande
World map seems to suggest that the whole world is just the 3 towns with ~4 areas surrounding each. It's pretty small really and you could run on foot from one side of the world to the other in like 20mins.

I'm finding the game to be fun though and should be worth a month or two of entertainment. More if I get serious about grinding multiple classes/tradeskills to 50.
I can't say for 100% certainty, but I am pretty sure those 3 towns with 5 or so areas around each, are only about 1/3 the world. If you zoom all the way out to see the world map, there is a whole ton of higher areas to the north, which is where there is the crystal tower, gold saucer, behemoths labyrinth, the area where the garlean empire is at, etc. I have heard there are snowy areas and all sorts of areas up north.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm digging it a lot, still trying to nail down where I want to start/what I want to do first. Definitely discovered that doing the leves is pretty much how you level the gathering skills/tradeskills with reasonable speed if you are out of discoveries for the current tier available to you. Question though: was the Limsa > Ul'Dah ferry disabled or something or is it just a waiting game til 15 (lawlz one day) before you can pick up the smithing skills to make better use of mining? Not that it is an issue, but that was something that half a dozen+ people asked me and was one of the areas I had no idea about.

Not sure what people mean about Aero not being worth the cast for cnj. Unless I outlevel a mob by a couple of levels, it manages to get through most of it's tic every time when I cast it after my first stone I cast. Seems to do decent enough damage so that it'd save me a cast or two of stone and while it may not be the optimal mana conserving strat it certainly speeds things up a bit. (I tend to fight shit above my level running around doing the Hunter's log quite often)

And yeah, the world looked a bit bigger than the 4-5 zones around each city. Specifically, there's a road going north off the map from North Shroud near Gridania that has no zone linking to it, so I'm assuming there's another full sized map area (4-5 more zones at least, probably more) north of that. Then there's a couple of spots on the world map itself that contain what look like outpost/cities of some sort, so my assumption would be lots more left to be implemented.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider

Thats pretty much how it was in 1.0 it was generally not until 35+ that you started getting away from the cities into different areas.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm digging it a lot, still trying to nail down where I want to start/what I want to do first. Definitely discovered that doing the leves is pretty much how you level the gathering skills/tradeskills with reasonable speed if you are out of discoveries for the current tier available to you. Question though: was the Limsa > Ul'Dah ferry disabled or something or is it just a waiting game til 15 (lawlz one day) before you can pick up the smithing skills to make better use of mining? Not that it is an issue, but that was something that half a dozen+ people asked me and was one of the areas I had no idea about.

Not sure what people mean about Aero not being worth the cast for cnj. Unless I outlevel a mob by a couple of levels, it manages to get through most of it's tic every time when I cast it after my first stone I cast. Seems to do decent enough damage so that it'd save me a cast or two of stone and while it may not be the optimal mana conserving strat it certainly speeds things up a bit. (I tend to fight shit above my level running around doing the Hunter's log quite often)

And yeah, the world looked a bit bigger than the 4-5 zones around each city. Specifically, there's a road going north off the map from North Shroud near Gridania that has no zone linking to it, so I'm assuming there's another full sized map area (4-5 more zones at least, probably more) north of that. Then there's a couple of spots on the world map itself that contain what look like outpost/cities of some sort, so my assumption would be lots more left to be implemented.
The ferry is just bugged, they forgot to set the value of the ticket down when they changed gil numbers in 2.0, so it costs 55k to buy a ticket, when it should probably cost like 550. Even 5500 I could see.

On the CNJ stuff, it was from last week. They buffed it quite a lot, it does respectable dmg now, basically at lvl 22 it was doing Stone II dmg but for about 20% less mp, so a very useful cast what with CNJ mp efficiency/regen being shit. I assume with it doing stone II dmg, it probably outdmg stone I so the increased cost is still worth it there. It was doing noticeably less damage last week though.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well after doing Brayflox a couple times I'm sold. Absolutely beautiful dungeon/zone and between it and a few of the earlier dungeons enough decent boss mechanics to convince me max lvl will keep me entertained for an extra month or so.

I hope the reason for the level cap is S-E being dicks about not wanting to spoil stuff, not because they're scrambling to complete it. Is anyone on a legacy server and can confirm if any of the post-35 dungeons or locked outdoor areas are in the game?

They still have some pretty noticeable things to fix. You know what I'm talking about - <i>Necrologist's</i> page

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well after doing Brayflox a couple times I'm sold. Absolutely beautiful dungeon/zone and between it and a few of the earlier dungeons enough decent boss mechanics to convince me max lvl will keep me entertained for an extra month or so.

I hope the reason for the level cap is S-E being dicks about not wanting to spoil stuff, not because they're scrambling to complete it. Is anyone on a legacy server and can confirm if any of the post-35 dungeons or locked outdoor areas are in the game?

They still have some pretty noticeable things to fix. You know what I'm talking about - <i>Necrologist's</i> page
Legacy has the same content besides the jobs, so all they can do is brayfox with level syncing down. Or maybe some FATE in higher level zones I don't know if they're active, you could in theory do these too on normal servers though.

And yeah I don't know if they're running out of time or what's up, I do hope at release all the content will be in as planned, but they're missing a fucking ton of shit at the moment. While they don't really have to redo assets so that's a big thing, it's still all the class quests from 20 to 50, all the job quests from 30 to 50, all the story quests from 25 to 50, all the sidequests if there's any. To be honest I'm not even sure if they're planning on having a lot of quests, it seemed to me that you have the current set that follows the story quest until you get grand company leves for soloing and tons of dungeons and still FATEs, guildleves and guildhests, so they probably don't need too many quests I assume. And then obviously they need to add all the endgame content. Oh and Arcanist stuff too.

I guess there's still almost ~2 months to release though so they might be ok, I don't really know how the current class quests compare to 1.0 for example, if they've been reusing the quests and just rebalancing or if they're entirely new stuff.

Guess we'll know more when phase4 starts. At least they're getting server stability and stuff down for now, this weekend I didn't have any issues.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Some of the zones I've seen are absolutely beautiful. Costa Del Sol and Bronze Lake (which is like a water temple ruins area) were easily the most beautiful areas I've ever seen in an MMO, perhaps in any game ever.