Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The game has a retarded amount of 'clickie' spells, that's one of my biggest complaints right now. CNJ isn't even bad, compared to the amount of stupid shit GLD gets. No way in hell I'd ever play a GLD over a MRD after looking at their skill sets, and that's another major reason why I plan to switch to ARC for phase 4.

Sure you can macro the stuff similar to WoW's castsequence, and maybe even with /wait commands to do several things in a single press (haven't tried that yet), but frankly if something is so marginal that it's ok to put in a macro like that then I'm of the belief that it shouldn't even exist at all.

Someone mentioned playing arcanist in p4, is it confirmed in in p4?
Phase 4 isn't going to be wiped going into release, so Arcanist has to be in by then.

Vorph

Hmm, I guess you're right, the producer letter says that they won't be in until launch. I thought Arcanist would be in, and just Scholar/Summoner held back. It's pretty fucking dumb to just toss in a new class on release day and hope for the best as far as it being tested and balanced.

I guess I'll just end up leveling the classes I expect to need as support for ARC in the long-term during phase 4.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I expect it to be in p4. But if for some really retarded reason it isn't(at least the base class, not the jobs) then probably just do conj, since that is required for the Arc jobs.

Now I wouldn't be shocked if they kept a level cap for phase 4. I hope to see jobs at least and no reason for them not to be there.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
One thing they did really well to add is the auto follow. It copies the exact pathing of the guy you're following instead of getting stuck on corners, stairs, etc.

The game clips a bit during this but a huge addition imo

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
One thing they did really well to add is the auto follow. It copies the exact pathing of the guy you're following instead of getting stuck on corners, stairs, etc.

The game clips a bit during this but a huge addition imo
Oh that's interesting, I forgot to test that shit, will try next beta if I can get a 2nd key, I wanna see how dual logging works with this.

As for Arcanist yeah don't think they said it'd be up for P4, even though they're not wiping, so that's a bit weird. Guess it'd be a good time to level CNJ and THM for cross class shit and also maybe work heavily on crafting/gathering while waiting. Do hope they have it available right away though, even if their class quests aren't in past lvl 15 or something similar.

Noahx

N00b
The game has a retarded amount of 'clickie' spells, that's one of my biggest complaints right now. CNJ isn't even bad, compared to the amount of stupid shit GLD gets. No way in hell I'd ever play a GLD over a MRD after looking at their skill sets, and that's another major reason why I plan to switch to ARC for phase 4.

Sure you can macro the stuff similar to WoW's castsequence, and maybe even with /wait commands to do several things in a single press (haven't tried that yet), but frankly if something is so marginal that it's ok to put in a macro like that then I'm of the belief that it shouldn't even exist at all.

Phase 4 isn't going to be wiped going into release, so Arcanist has to be in by then.
I didn't think GLD was that bad. Combined with a few other classes you do get a lot of 120-180 CDs to use but I managed. Is MRD decent at mitigation? Do they get anything like the Shield Throw skill GLDs have? I messed with MRD a bit and found its dps to be great in the beginning but didn't have any decent comparison for dmg mit. Mostly tanked as GLD with 2 CD def skills and the PUG dmg skill that activates when you parry/block and slows the target.

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
Going off jobs, Warrior is much more involved than Paladin at 50. Paladin is mostly pop your buffs when applicable and spam your 1 enmity rotation combo.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I didn't think GLD was that bad. Combined with a few other classes you do get a lot of 120-180 CDs to use but I managed. Is MRD decent at mitigation? Do they get anything like the Shield Throw skill GLDs have? I messed with MRD a bit and found its dps to be great in the beginning but didn't have any decent comparison for dmg mit. Mostly tanked as GLD with 2 CD def skills and the PUG dmg skill that activates when you parry/block and slows the target.
Marauders get an identical skill to shield throw, and have a +20% defence skill on a 90 second cooldown. They also have last stand and quite a bit of self-heal.

One of the little things I love in this game is aggro range. You can literally walk up and tap an aggro mob on the shoulder if you do it from behind. Walk in front of them though, and they will aggro from 20 yards away.

Vorph

MRD was noticeably squishier than GLD, but not enough for me to care. As a healer, I'll take the tank with the vastly-better aggro any day. MRD gets Tomahawk from the L15 quest which is basically the same as Shield Lob.

As for GLD clickies, they just keep getting more and more of the stupid things if you look at the full skill list to 50. It's ridiculous. MRD gets actual skills the whole way and only a handful of clickies.

Artifa

N00b
I was running with a GLD tank most of the way and I have to agree he took a lot less dmg than the couple MRD I grouped with. Only time I pulled agro off either of them was Medica spamming which isn't necessary unless the group is standing in things. I honestly liked the GLD tank better than MRD, maybe I just never had a great MRD.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thing that looked cool was that once you become a Warrior, you get access to an entire new mechanic that's basically combo points, so it plays quite a lot differently I assume, at least your rotations change a bit(since rotation generates combo points and when you have 5 you pop specific WAR skills so the rotation becomes more dynamic). Paladin on the other hand looked fairly boring.

That's why if I don't go scholar for whatever reason, I'll go MRD/WAR to tank instead. Both CNJ/WHM and GLD/WHM look boring as fuck, even though they get the job done fine.

Vorph

I didn't mean keeping aggro off me, that's a non-issue. I meant that our group AE'ed every pull, and Overpower is better aggro than Flash and does pretty good damage on top of that. If you want to level by grinding dungeons over and over, which seems like the ideal path, a MRD is a no-brainer as the clears will be so much faster. The squishiness is only an issue until the MRD gets a couple drops from the new dungeon, but even on the very first clear of a new one we still never had to resort to sleeping anything.

People had the same complaints about GLD in 1.0 too. All the speed clear groups used MRDs even at 50, from what I have read about the old version. It's a bit unfortunate that they don't seem to have addressed that at all.

tower

I would nerf MRD hate generation some. Maybe Glad damage mit could be lowered slightly as a result but I think MRD is fine there with proper cooldown usage.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What was considered fast? I did Thousand maws and manor with a gld. We got both down to about 20-30 min runs(Clearing all the rooms, chest etc). The healer would just sleep adds, then help nuke while healing when needed. It was great,maybe it was the players though, the tank and healer were really good.

I did manor later with a mrd and it was slower and the healer literally had to spam heal the entire time because the mrd would just spam overpower.

Though I expect things to change later, I noticed a lot of moves later are AE, so you might not even CCing anything later.

tower

20-30 sounds about right for the runs I tanked. In Brayflox we had to start using sleep. MRD shouldn't be spamming overpower.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's a good WAR vs PLD thread on the official beta forums, with a lot of lvl 50 testing shit around. Interesting parts is that as expected PLD is very boring to play, even if adequate, as you mostly rely on your main combo that you spam in all and every situation, weaving in flash for aoe threat and possibly changing the finisher of the combo to get mp back(however that didn't seem to be such a good deal unless you REALLY need mp since it does noticeably less damage and as such threat). Rest is basically using your cooldowns correctly. On the other hand, WAR has a lot of shit going on, multiple combo path, more interesting cooldowns, additional mechanic etc.

However in a post further in the thread someone talks about efficiency, how good the classes perform, vs just how fun they are to play, and he made a bunch of tests that show that at 50, WAR isn't quite as OP as it seems in the lower levels, the damage they output isn't really much superior to a PLD other than massive aoe fest but surviving the massive aoe fest is another issue since the self healing is fairly weak compared to your health pool and damage taken(while at lvl 15-20ish you tend to be able to keep yourself alive with bloodbath and overpower spam alone). Still PLD can hold aoe threat decently with Flash, there's just not much dmg(and Circle of Scorn is shit apparently, but it's off the GCD at least). Still he was saying that basically both tanks seem to perform very similarily and it's not as bad as 1.0 and other stuff like that.

Hopefully they'll make some changes to GLD/PLD combat to make it a bit more interesting, like adding a different combo finisher that's more interesting, maybe changing some traits to instantly refresh+put shit off the GCD to give some irregularity to the class and stuff like that.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Liking what little I can play of this game, but I could use some tech. advice from anyone here who knows.

I'm running a Dual core 2.4gig, 4GB DDR3 with a GeForce 9800 GT. Talking to some friends elsewhere they said that replacing my video card would help this game run. Granted I do need to replace the mother board and CPU to at least a i5, but what would be the best way to go? Replace the video card now, then a few months down the road replace the mobo + cpu. Or vice versa. Looking on newegg, I can get a mobo + cpu for around 250. Or I can spend 150 or so for a video card. Budget is tight, so I can't just go all out and do a total revamp of my computer. But trying to run this game getting maybe 20FPS stinks. Just want to do a gradual over haul over the next 6 months, but I'm not sure if I should start with the GPU or with the mobo + CPU.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Liking what little I can play of this game, but I could use some tech. advice from anyone here who knows.

I'm running a Dual core 2.4gig, 4GB DDR3 with a GeForce 9800 GT. Talking to some friends elsewhere they said that replacing my video card would help this game run. Granted I do need to replace the mother board and CPU to at least a i5, but what would be the best way to go? Replace the video card now, then a few months down the road replace the mobo + cpu. Or vice versa. Looking on newegg, I can get a mobo + cpu for around 250. Or I can spend 150 or so for a video card. Budget is tight, so I can't just go all out and do a total revamp of my computer. But trying to run this game getting maybe 20FPS stinks. Just want to do a gradual over haul over the next 6 months, but I'm not sure if I should start with the GPU or with the mobo + CPU.
If you want the most immediate benefit, a GPU is going to do you a world of good. 9800 GT is actually pretty old.

Artifa

N00b
I'm not sure how many of you weren't on Malboro, but for those of you that were, is anyone else thinking of switching for P4 and live? The server seemed pretty dead and from what I heard, it didn't seem to be from limited amount of players in beta. People were saying other servers had more 30+ players when our server was barely showing enough for a group most of the time. Might be due to the fact that being in a duty shows you as offline and unable to chat, so probably doesn't show in the player search either. Maybe at release the lower pop servers will get new characters directed there via recommended servers, but we could also just move to a better one. Hopefully theres a couple more weekends and I can talk to some of the other players I grouped with, they all seemed competent to me. Outleveling the masses is good for that.

I was Saidy Siren, grouped with cinge for Maws and Manor for a while and I'll probably play CNJ for release even though the combat is pretty boring.