Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
is there a good source for the current state of classes in the game?
FFlogs lets you see the general damage output of classes, with some padding included. There isn't much more currently since the first raid tier isn't out, nor is the first round of balance.

From my experience, I'd say:

Tanks are pretty balanced, I believe DRK is boring as all fuck due to a lack of buttons to press, but they all perform well enough. PLD/WAR still seem like the best combo however? PLD is really cool to play with the new things though, and it doesn't feel like filler bullshit buttons like GNB cartridge combo nonsense.

Healers are weird, WHM shits on everyone damage wise, which is generally balanced by not having utility, but this isn't like SB where WHM was 10% ahead but only on dummies and 10% wasn't enough anyway, this time they're like 30-40% ahead, which shits on raid utility, they're above tank damage, and they also can do that in fights, not just dummies. I kinda expect they'll get hit by a big ass nerf tbh. As for SCH vs AST, AST from what I read is a clunky piece of shit, and the utility isn't THAT good either with their lower DPS and lower healing tools, so SCH/WHM should probably be your combo, it's coil again.

Ranged phys DPS is weird. On one hand, DNC brings the best buffs ever. On the other hand, they're way behind BRD and MCH in personal DPS, so it's hard to say if it's really worth it, it's gonna kinda depend on your dance partner a lot and might be encounter specific. BRD puts out good damage while still retaining SOME utility(voice and the tank heal shit) so I'd put them slightly ahead of MCH.

Casters, well it's the usual. BLM is godtier damage, but they have no rez. Do you really want a caster slot without a rez for progression? Meh. They're much much better at dealing with forced movement however, so much that keeping top DPS is actually not as challenging as it used to be. For the other two, on paper SMN is slightly better than RDM, but SMN plays like a fucking nightmare, it has so many oGCDs and so many alignment issues the current best opener involves double clipping several times, which is pure madness. I'd expect some buffs. Meanwhile, they put out exactly the same damage as RDM which is much simpler to play without fucking up.

Melee DPS, it's a bit hard to say. Dragoon is most likely king, unlike SB, they have very high damage, and they retain good utility, even after the nerfs. SAM has the highest DPS, but still no utility, while MNK trails only a bit behind and still has Brotherhood(meh) and Mantra which might prove more useful now that health bars kinda ballooned with the vit on accessories, without seeing that much of an increase in healing potency. As for Ninja, well Trick Attack is still god, but the class seems to be in a poor state otherwise and has gameplay issues, so people might decide to just ignore Ninjas this tier and go for a big dick DPS to compensate instead(running a BLM or SAM on top of another caster or melee DPS for example).

As I said though, they'll do a round of balance at the time of the release of savage in 5.05, so some things might change drastically. WHM especially seem really out of place.

BLM is currently doing the most dps and he has them last. I didn't watch the video and just skipped to the ranking at the end but I don't put a lot of stock in what his conclusion is.

It was a joke video. And from SB too.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FFlogs lets you see the general damage output of classes, with some padding included. There isn't much more currently since the first raid tier isn't out, nor is the first round of balance.

Tanks are pretty balanced, I believe DRK is boring as all fuck due to a lack of buttons to press, but they all perform well enough. PLD/WAR still seem like the best combo however? PLD is really cool to play with the new things though, and it doesn't feel like filler bullshit buttons like GNB cartridge combo nonsense.

Healers are weird, WHM shits on everyone damage wise, which is generally balanced by not having utility, but this isn't like SB where WHM was 10% ahead but only on dummies and 10% wasn't enough anyway, this time they're like 30-40% ahead, which shits on raid utility, they're above tank damage, and they also can do that in fights, not just dummies. I kinda expect they'll get hit by a big ass nerf tbh. As for SCH vs AST, AST from what I read is a clunky piece of shit, and the utility isn't THAT good either with their lower DPS and lower healing tools, so SCH/WHM should probably be your combo, it's coil again.

Ranged phys DPS is weird. On one hand, DNC brings the best buffs ever. On the other hand, they're way behind BRD and MCH in personal DPS, so it's hard to say if it's really worth it, it's gonna kinda depend on your dance partner a lot and might be encounter specific. BRD puts out good damage while still retaining SOME utility(voice and the tank heal shit) so I'd put them slightly ahead of MCH.

Casters, well it's the usual. BLM is godtier damage, but they have no rez. Do you really want a caster slot without a rez for progression? Meh. They're much much better at dealing with forced movement however, so much that keeping top DPS is actually not as challenging as it used to be. For the other two, on paper SMN is slightly better than RDM, but SMN plays like a fucking nightmare, it has so many oGCDs and so many alignment issues the current best opener involves double clipping several times, which is pure madness. I'd expect some buffs. Meanwhile, they put out exactly the same damage as RDM which is much simpler to play without fucking up.

Melee DPS, it's a bit hard to say. Dragoon is most likely king, unlike SB, they have very high damage, and they retain good utility, even after the nerfs. SAM has the highest DPS, but still no utility, while MNK trails only a bit behind and still has Brotherhood(meh) and Mantra which might prove more useful now that health bars kinda ballooned with the vit on accessories, without seeing that much of an increase in healing potency. As for Ninja, well Trick Attack is still god, but the class seems to be in a poor state otherwise and has gameplay issues, so people might decide to just ignore Ninjas this tier and go for a big dick DPS to compensate instead(running a BLM or SAM on top of another caster or melee DPS for example).

As I said though, they'll do a round of balance at the time of the release of savage in 5.05, so some things might change drastically. WHM especially seem really out of place.

It was a joke video. And from SB too.
So you picarded me because you were being an asshole to someone else. Good to know.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So you picarded me because you were being an asshole to someone else. Good to know.
You know you can click on the little reaction icons to see who gave it to you? Or notice that I didn't post the video either?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Once you finish your role quests you go to geroldt in the Tempest to get a coffer of 430 gear. Then you farm goetia tomes by running roulettes or spamming the top 3 dungeons to buy 440 gear. Finally you run Titania EX trials on the party finder to get a 450 weapon (either as drops or with 10 tokens) and Innocence EX dungeons for 450 jewellry.
Are you fucking serious? Where is he located there? All this time I been running shit in my old gear. I was wondering how in the hell people was able to jump into Extremes soon as they hit 80. I feel like a idiot.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Are you fucking serious? Where is he located there? All this time I been running shit in my old gear. I was wondering how in the hell people was able to jump into Extremes soon as they hit 80. I feel like a idiot.

He's south of the cups in a dome-like hut. He's basically living like spongebob. You must've gotten an intro quest to speak to him before the end of the MSQ.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
He's south of the cups in a dome-like hut. He's basically living like spongebob. You must've gotten an intro quest to speak to him before the end of the MSQ.
Yeah I did. Thought the role quest was bugged. I need to do anything else or just need to speak with him?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I did. Thought the role quest was bugged. I need to do anything else or just need to speak with him?
Once you do the MSQ with the role quest, he unlocks all the armor for that role that you have at 80. He even tells you before you leave. You just talk to him and get all that shit.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist

Nah just once you finish your role quest you get the loot. Actually it's weird cuz he turns into a vendor except the loot is free.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Lots of people forget to talk to him after you do the role quest handin. You can go back to him later when you level other jobs to get the gear as well once you finish the role quests for them, or straight up get the gear if your second job is part of the same role quest.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Which one is it exactly that gives a ton so I stock up on mats beforehand? I've been having only potions and those are only 100 and require 2 sands each and I got inks a bunch but those are only 20. Is it inks? It's the only ALC craft that doesn't require a bunch of stupid mats, the amount is low but I guess you can mass produce them pretty quick especially if hitting doing a quick macro to hit the min requirement instead of 100%. Guess I'd just need it starred.

It's yellow scrips the Cunning Craftsman's Syrup. Uses one of the waters, 2 cubus flesh, 2 kudzu roots, and 2 of the gebrera or however its spelled.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm only 76 and 400 ilvl and was wondering where people were jumping up so high too

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm only 76 and 400 ilvl and was wondering where people were jumping up so high too
They did the same thing in SB though, just you had to finish your class quest, and then you're given a full set of 290 armor+weapon for it, even though the dungeon before was like 279. Same case here, last leveling dungeon is 418, but they give you full 430 armor once you hit 80.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They did the same thing in SB though, just you had to finish your class quest, and then you're given a full set of 290 armor+weapon for it, even though the dungeon before was like 279. Same case here, last leveling dungeon is 418, but they give you full 430 armor once you hit 80.
This is the first expansion I've technically played when its current

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah this is the first expac i was around to play through too. I always thought the old coffers were catch-up mechanisms they patched in a few months after release or something.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah this is the first expac i was around to play through too. I always thought the old coffers were catch-up mechanisms they patched in a few months after release or something.
It was more that they patched those in with expansion releases. EDIT - The job gear was given out during the quest lines again during Stormblood instead of as a catchup coffer (tomestone gear) for ARR and Heavensward content. They gave i90 coffers to the 2.x jobs, and the tomestone job gear for 3.x jobs at completion of the L50/60 quests respectively.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The little things I don't know about this game are humorous to me. It's what, 9 years old (technically)? There's a lot of basic stuff I just do not know at all until it comes up.

• 1Worf

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

I disagree with some of this.

For tanks, I think all the tanks are in a pretty good spot, and they all bring something unique to the table. PLD has the best party mitigation, WAR has a combo of party mitigation and party recovery (kind of like half a healer), DRK has the best tank mitigation, and GNB has big dick DPS.

Healer balance is tough to determine. I don't know if they're balanced, but your healer comp will definitely have a big effect on the rest of your team. SCH has massive shields and can shit out crazy amounts of healing and party mit. WHM can turret for big dick DPS while also pumping out crazy healing (no party shielding though, which is relevant). AST has weaker healing than the other two but some pretty good DPS buffs for the party - not as good as they used to be, but they synergize really well with the big dick DPS classes and Divination is a pretty damn good DPS buff.

For DPS, you've got your big dick DPS classes - BLM, MCH, SAM, MNK, and DRG. These jobs all deal insane damage (with BLM doing 10% or more than the other four). MNK and DRG have additional offensive utility on top of that, and MCH having defensive utility. SAM is in the weakest state of these four but is by no means unplayable.

Then you have medium dick DPS classes: SMN, BRD, and RDM. SMN definitely does the most damage out of all of these and also has some slight offensive utility and battle rezzes. BRD is next with a mix of offensive and defensive utility, but keep in mind the defensive utility of the ranged physical classes does not stack (although BRD has an additional ability to increase HP restored/make shields bigger which the other two do not have). RDM does significantly less than the other two in this category but brings more battle rezzes than SMN and offensive utility for physical DPS classes.

Finally you have the buffbots, DNC and NIN. These classes don't do much more damage than a good GNB or WHM but bring insane offensive utility to make up for it. NIN has Trick Attack, which is the best utility move in the game, but ONLY if your party understands how to line up their burst with Trick windows (random PuGs who just button mash do not make for good party members with a NIN). DNC has a miniature Trick Attack-style ability but also grants a permanent 5% DPS bonus to one party member and has Devilment, which turns a single DPS into a railgun for 20s or turns a MNK into the Death Star.

TL;DR: I wouldn't dissuade you from picking any class to play as they all seem pretty balanced, but if I had to pick one job from each role to recommend, it would be PLD, SCH, DRG, DNC, and SMN. (Although SMN has an absolute bitch of a rotation right now.)

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The joy of both FF MMO's is that you can play all the jobs, so you can decide for yourself what you think of them.

• 1Like