Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Crafting is meh. At this point unless you're extremely dedicated, you won't catch up to high end crafting. On the other hand you can make money out of low end crafting in various ways. You could ignore the whole thing and make money otherwise though(daillies and spiritbinding). At the same time leveling the crafts now will save you time for the expansion.

The expansion is adding interesting stuff to crafting, but it's not really in need of fixing. Crafting is very alive and well at this point of the game, it's a money maker for both new players and long time crafters alike, though since it uses a progression system similar to raids and shit, it's very hard to catchup quickly, plus an accomplished crafter needs more or less every crafts leveled up so it's like a real investment, both in time and money to get there. There's alwyas a high demand in most stuff from crafters because they make housing furnitures and glamour items(cosmetics), as well as a bunch of gear to break down into materias for people who need to do their relics and what not, and for some slots, crafted gear is actually BiS or close enough to it, though it requires stupid amount of money to make the item then meld the materias in it(mostly the materias).

The only shit classes at the moment would be Alchemist and Cooking, since potions and food are more or less the same as they've always been and the side stuff they make isn't that good. Alchemy was good like last tier of content kinda with Putty, and they can make a few weapons and what not so there can be some money to be made, but Cooking is just dreadful. Then again, it sells quick, so it might be worth it if you don't mind afk crafting for hours with shitty profits per item. Main issue of cooking is the new food they kept adding is useless due to how food works in this game(it gives % of the stats with a cap, however the % are fucked up and basically no one can reach the caps, making the higher food useless when the old food gives the same benefits anyway).
Ok I'll probably just stay away from it for now then and level through the story content and do the raids to check out the end all cut scene everyone is talking about.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Looking forward to Heavensward class specific LBs, monk one gonna be epic I'm sure.
Sorry to disappoint, but it's been said all the current LB3s are going to stay in the game, so some classes will not get new Limit Breaks. Monk will probably have Final Heaven, WHM will probably have Pulse of Life, PLD will probably have Last Bastion, and BLM will probably have Meteor.

Is crafting worth it this late in the game? People are saying the expansion will fix a lot of things with crafting.
I would say that if you have the time, you should get all your crafting classes to level 50 in preparation for the expansion. You don't have to gear them up for 2*+ crafting, but you will want them at 50 for the cross-class skills.

If that's too much time investment for you, the bare minimum cross-class skills you absolutely need would require you to get Carpenter to 50, Culinarian to 37, and everything else to 15.

I think that crafting progression wil be reset come the level cap raise the same way battle class progression will be reset: leveling gear from 51-60 will be better than the BiS overmelded gear crafters currently have access to.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I feel that the whole crafting system is just a pyramid scheme where the people at the top end of the profession feed off everyone else gearing up their crafters. Especially the 2nd and next few waves of crafters after them. If your not at the top making and selling gear to other crafters\gatherers its almost better to just farm and sell off the mats then try and gear yourself up to make the gear. Just gear up when the bottom falls out of the market a few months later.

The Ehcatl Sealant makes a good example of something like this especially early on while the first few waves are all desperately trying to gear all their classes.

The exception is maybe buying something for a gathering class as an investment in order to farm rare mats to sell early on in the gearing process.

(This is all of course if your are doing this solo or in a small guild without resource sharing.)

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
Byregot's blessing really is amazing. Seeing the quality bar go from 11% to 80-100% pending certain conditions is glorious.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sorry to disappoint, but it's been said all the current LB3s are going to stay in the game, so some classes will not get new Limit Breaks. Monk will probably have Final Heaven, WHM will probably have Pulse of Life, PLD will probably have Last Bastion, and BLM will probably have Meteor.
Yeah I know they're staying, but I don't see Monk keeping the sword based LB. Tbh, the melee one doesn't fit any class particularily well since it's based off Omnislash and there's no sword class. Ninja maybe, kinda. I think they might replace all the melee ones and keep that one for Samurai or whatever whenever they add it.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I know they're staying, but I don't see Monk keeping the sword based LB. Tbh, the melee one doesn't fit any class particularily well since it's based off Omnislash and there's no sword class. Ninja maybe, kinda. I think they might replace all the melee ones and keep that one for Samurai or whatever whenever they add it.
Huh? AFAIK, LB 1 and 2 are staying. Only the 3's are changing. And Final Heaven doesn't actually use a sword, it's a punch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Huh? AFAIK, LB 1 and 2 are staying. Only the 3's are changing. And Final Heaven doesn't actually use a sword, it's a punch.
Oh it is a punch, all this time and I never noticed and the sword is so obvious on the shitty LB I assumed there was some sort of light sword during the LB3. Oh well that sucks since it's gonna stay on monk I assume and looks kinda meh.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
T12 down. T13 progression starts tonight.

1429267977440.jpg

skylan_sl

shitlord
I went ahead and picked up a copy of the ps4 edition for $20 at best buy, figure that will give me enough time to decide on console vs pc by the time the expansion comes out. I decided I want to play a ninja, but I can't decide if I want to start a new account / character or just level up new jobs with my old character. My old guy is 50 PLD 42 DRG , various support classes (but 0 in rogue / pug) and has carpentry at 50 and bsm at 42, the mining / logging are fairly high but that's it.

Since it's been so long since I've played I feel like the story would be a valuable part of the re-leveling process but it also feels wrong to just throw away all the potential cross class abilities and tradeskills I've already leveled. Not to mention whatever I had in terms of mounts, progression, etc,. Any thoughts on this? I'm torn...

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I went ahead and picked up a copy of the ps4 edition for $20 at best buy, figure that will give me enough time to decide on console vs pc by the time the expansion comes out. I decided I want to play a ninja, but I can't decide if I want to start a new account / character or just level up new jobs with my old character. My old guy is 50 PLD 42 DRG , various support classes (but 0 in rogue / pug) and has carpentry at 50 and bsm at 42, the mining / logging are fairly high but that's it.

Since it's been so long since I've played I feel like the story would be a valuable part of the re-leveling process but it also feels wrong to just throw away all the potential cross class abilities and tradeskills I've already leveled. Not to mention whatever I had in terms of mounts, progression, etc,. Any thoughts on this? I'm torn...
Well, since you seem to have a PC version (I am guessing?) I would tie this to that account so you can play PC or PS4 on that account and switch freely. If you want to go through the story again, the obvious choice is to create a new character. Or, you can get caught up on Wikipedia or something and just start the Ninja class on your main.

ixian_sl

shitlord
The 1-50 story isn't really good enough to reroll for, in my opinion. There's definitely some cool segments in there, but considering all of the inane stuff you'd have to repeat, you might as well just YouTube it if you're that interested. Even the post-50 story doesn't really pick up till near the end... assuming you even pay attention through all of the crappy fetch quests.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

Do NOT make a new character or account! You can level alternate jobs twice as fast as long as you have one job at level 50, and that's not even including the time you'd have to spend with all of those awful pizza delivery man quests on a new character that has to do all of the Main Story Quests.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Meh...with no new MMO in the works that I have any hope for this keeps making me debate if I want to come back to playing MMO's. Quit back when we beat Turn 5 back when that actually meant something so pretty far back. I had sold my account; if I came back and decided to buy an account vs starting fresh are there any key things that matter going into the new expansion? I assume gear will get replaced, just all classes/crafting/gathering to 50 and more then likely that is all that will be useful after a few weeks of expansion or anything that might be worthwhile? I don't have as much time as I did in the younger years and dropping a bit of cash on account isn't going to make me go hungry.

Just wish they changed the damn global cool down timer
frown.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't buy an account for the expansion, mostly because expansions are the best time to reset an account you sold and pretend it was hacked. But yeah other than that, nothing really carries over besides classes leveling, just grind a bit to get some semi decent gear if the char is dreadfully geared and make sure you finish story quests. If they're already done on the account you buy it kinda sucks though since you don't get to play them. You can still watch the story in the Inn I guess, just quite a bit more boring.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I bailed on this at turn 1, bored and want to catch up before xpac (mostly story but gear a little as well).... Guess my question is, where do I start after download finishes?!