Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Thought I read somewhere seeing party TP will be in expansion? Not 100% sure though.

Edit : On a side note, glad I came back to finish the story before trying the expac. I thought I would be done in 1-2 days, it's a lot longer then that. Can't imagine the people like me who will wait until expansion release to play. They will buy the expansion , thinking they get to see all the new things, maybe do new jobs, but nope, they have hours upon hours of story to finish before they get to see anything.

Hope SE has a bunch of disclaimers all over the purchase pages/sites, so they can at least say "we told you so".
They'll probably have the "we warned you" part in the 3.0 patch.
tongue.png
I can't wait to feed on those tears, personally. The people who keep up with the game get rewarded, the slackers get punished for their inactivity!

Not looking forward to the queue times in June.
Server, Ishgard, or Duty Finder queues?
tongue.png

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think DPS will be less screwed roughly... one month into the expac. With the expansion on healer and tank roles from 2/10 to 3 out of 13 (1/5 vs.1/4.33) it should make it actually easier overall for deeps to get into groups in the dungeon finder. But yeah, queue times, especially on Gilg, are going to suck ass for simply logging into the game.

The month delay is mostly people leveling their Dark Knights and Astrologians up to moderate levels, which as someone who currently mains WHM and is switching to DRK, won't happen right away. I'm going to complete all the unlockable content stuff before I switch over, which I imagine quite a few people will do.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't see the queues being any worse than usual with 1tank and 1healer being added. Will be better than Ninja patch for sure, that was dreadful, you could sit in queue for like 2hours to get a group.

And yeah I wonder if they'll change their plan for the 3.0 story thing, if they'll like gate only the story bits or what, it's kinda weird otherwise. I mean they do weird shit all the time like the personnal housing stuff and the card tournament system, so it wouldn't be that much of a surprise that they do something so stupid, but eh.

Malkav

French Madman
The worst thing for people returning and the story quests is the ilvl requirement on some of the steps.
You can't just ding 50 and do the whole thing, you have to be ilvl80 for Snowcloak and 90 for SoF.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The worst thing for people returning and the story quests is the ilvl requirement on some of the steps.
You can't just ding 50 and do the whole thing, you have to be ilvl80 for Snowcloak and 90 for SoF.
Yep. A lot of them will be coming back in i70(Darklight) with maybe i90 weapon(relic) or worse the dungeon gear(which was i50 I think). They will have to gear up and deal with queues(Story dungeons/trials + gearing up) , while a big chunk of the population has moved past that point. Unless they have the cash to just buy crafted.

It's going to be mighty hilarious on the forums, I can just see it now. Especially as I can't think of another game that made it a requirement to finish prior content to even access the next expansion content(outside just hitting cap), so its going to be a shock to a lot of people.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Cant say I'm surprised as SE has always defied other MMO conventions and done their own thing.

It's also going to suck more for new players who see the dark knight or machinist classes (oh guns!) start up the game get to character creation and... nope!

You gotta do the whole story line to get em. Sorry (tee-he~)!

Vithe

Hardcore Casual
I'm in my mid 30s now as a White Mage and am absolutely in love with this game. I am just mad I didn't play this a lot sooner. I just want to get as far as possible before the expansion hits.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Been stuck on REX for like 10 days now. After 30 or so failed DF attempts, I gave up with randoms as the que as a NIN is balls. Been starting my own PF's and still everyone bails after the initial 60 minutes. It's not even that hard once you know whats going, so frustrating.

I have just about had it with Jenova. Between the constant spam and the sparse PF activity, to the over inflated market. I think it might be time to find a new server.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ah right, you do get a lot of solds running content once, but I assume most people aren't going to want to run dungeons on top of story just to get the ilvl to do more story to do the expansion. Shit's gonna be a riot if they keep that kind of stops in. As I said, I think it'd be fine if they gated story quests, but let you go into Ishgard and do normal quests and shit, so you could start leveling, or pick one of the new classes, and work it at your own rythm. If all you can do for the first week(less or more depending on how casual/hardcore) is old content that a lot of people don't queue for anymore, I think a lot of people are going to outright quit. Granted, they still get the expansion money+resub money in their pockets, but it's bad business.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Since most expansions make previous gear obsolete, the simple way to allow newer players to get caught up to the 2.5.5 story is to sell the end game gear required to do pre-2.5.5 dungeons on a merchant. Since all the hardcore players have moved on to 3.0 and the better gear drops from the expansion, why should it matter to them?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Since most expansions make previous gear obsolete, the simple way to allow newer players to get caught up to the 2.5.5 story is to sell the end game gear required to do pre-2.5.5 dungeons on a merchant. Since all the hardcore players have moved on to 3.0 and the better gear drops from the expansion, why should it matter to them?
That's not a bad idea. Alternatively, people might naturally hit level 51 while doing MSQs, and my prediction is that level 51 gear will be equivalent to i90.

When SE stated that they wouldn't be uncapping Poetics before the expansion, they said that i130 gear was roughly on par with level 55 gear. So from that, my guess would be:

• 51 = i90
  • 52 = i100
  • 53 = i110
  • 54 = i120
  • 55 = i130

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gear would help, but for someone who quit after that first initial story, there is a ton to do, gearing up to i90 is but a very small part of it. Not to mention doing things like Keeper of the Lake, SoF, Chrysalis,with a bunch of newbies who just bought i90 gear :p

Malkav

French Madman
Gear would help, but for someone who quit after that first initial story, there is a ton to do, gearing up to i90 is but a very small part of it. Not to mention doing things like Keeper of the Lake, SoF, Chrysalis,with a bunch of newbies who just bought i90 gear :p
Yeah, came back like 10 days ago, after having quit like 2 months in.
Just had Darklight and first step of the relic.
Aside from leveling my ninja to 50, I just hit Snowcloak in the Story, and I'm only ilvl79 so i have to farm Syrcus a bit now to progress again.
Had the feeling of having so much stuff to do when I came back.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, came back like 10 days ago, after having quit like 2 months in.
Just had Darklight and first step of the relic.
Aside from leveling my ninja to 50, I just hit Snowcloak in the Story, and I'm only ilvl79 so i have to farm Syrcus a bit now to progress again.
Had the feeling of having so much stuff to do when I came back.
Yeah was pretty much me. I was in darklight with a couple pieces of turn 1-5 gear(shit never droped) and the i90 relic. I had to run ST a bunch to get i90 so I could finish up story. Doing SoF now(which is "Fun" in DF).

Thankfully I'm not worried about gearing up anything past that. I'm going to finish story, then work on getting arc to 50(I think it will be one of the classes for cross-class for machinist, no clue on 2nd), getting some gathering to 50 probably and maybe do fishing/cul to 50. And if I can afford it maybe buy some DoW gear for machinist to help with leveling.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just installed this on my new PS4, going to use the 14 trial and see how it plays. Anyone have experience at playing both versions? I also read that I can link my old PC account with my PS4 and play those characters on either platform, is that really possible? if I recall, my Bard had the i90 relic bow, and a mix of armor (Darklight + Gryphon), not sure what the characters ilvl is/was, but by the sound of it, I will have a lot of stuff to do. I'll have to finish whatever Story steps that have occured after I stopped playing (3 months) in order to start a Machinist?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just installed this on my new PS4, going to use the 14 trial and see how it plays. Anyone have experience at playing both versions? I also read that I can link my old PC account with my PS4 and play those characters on either platform, is that really possible? if I recall, my Bard had the i90 relic bow, and a mix of armor (Darklight + Gryphon), not sure what the characters ilvl is/was, but by the sound of it, I will have a lot of stuff to do. I'll have to finish whatever Story steps that have occured after I stopped playing (3 months) in order to start a Machinist?
No clue about the ps4/pc stuff. But as the the last question, from what has been said, you need to finish the story to access ishguard and ishguard is where the new job npcs will be.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
When you log in it should ask you if you want to link accounts/have an existing account. You just enter the things, confirm and stuff and yeah it'll be linked. Note that you can't get a trial if they're linked, but if you don't link them, you'll probably need a separate PSN account on your PS4 to link it to your PC if you change your mind later.

So I'd recommend making an account to do the trial with instead, then if you want to link you can link your main PS4 account to your PC account.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
Edit : On a side note, glad I came back to finish the story before trying the expac. I thought I would be done in 1-2 days, it's a lot longer then that. Can't imagine the people like me who will wait until expansion release to play. They will buy the expansion , thinking they get to see all the new things, maybe do new jobs, but nope, they have hours upon hours of story to finish before they get to see anything.

Hope SE has a bunch of disclaimers all over the purchase pages/sites, so they can at least say "we told you so".
I am one of those that almost got screwed by this. I was going to wait until the expansion to start playing thinking just that. I would start fresh with a new Astrologian since i wanted to be a healer. Thank god I decided i didn't want to wait that long and just wanted to get familiar with the game early. I had to start fresh but managed to get a scholar up to 50 and i'm about 80% done with the story but I've been playing for almost 2 month just to get to the point i'm at now. I would have been royally pissed had I paid for the game and expansion only to realize i would have been stuck in old content for most likely months while everyone else is off doing new content.

Honestly i probably would have rage quit. They do have a disclaimer warning about this but it's so far down the page unless you are the type of person who actually reads that shit before buying a game you would NEVER know. I feel like there are going to be a metric fuckton of upset people once this expansion drops. I know many people who are thinking what i did before I knew the truth. Just wait for expansion then buy the game. I can see there being a lot of people asking for refunds and can only imagine the rage on the forums to come. I can't help but think that this is a terrible business decision.