Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Think I'm going to need to get a keyboard for the ps3, did my first dungeon run last night and it was terrible being unable to say anything.

Enjoying the way the game plays on a controller though, I barely feel limited, only hassle is rolling for loot when in a battle.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
really? people were saying the opposite at the beginning of the expansion! maybe i should continue leveling my DRK so i have a healer/tank/dps
I dunno who you were talking to. All of the Savage firsts were done with a DRK because they're just objectively better than PLDs for current content, and they can actually DPS unlike PLDs.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I dunno who you were talking to. All of the Savage firsts were done with a DRK because they're just objectively better than PLDs for current content, and they can actually DPS unlike PLDs.
This would have been before any of the savage content came out i think, so nobody actually knew lol. Either way that's good to know, i liked their playstyle a lot more than paladin/warrior!

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
This would have been before any of the savage content came out i think, so nobody actually knew lol. Either way that's good to know, i liked their playstyle a lot more than paladin/warrior!
Eh, I played one for a bit at E3 and even then they seemed very strong. It was probably just the general populace making a stink without knowing much about the class.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
It's not so much PLD needs a buff so much as Sword Oath being ass compared to Maim and Darkside's modifiers. Point being: it's more a symptom of the ability than the class overall, imo, unless we go into Flash/Circle of Scorn vs. Overpower/Decimate, Unleash/Abyssal Drain/Salted Earth

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
You won't need gear outside of what you are given as quest rewards for your first dungeon as a tank (level 15). Good tank gear doesn't become required until late level 20s. Just spam your aoe taunt while you eat a sandwich with the other hand.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Whats the other hand doing? obviously aoe taunt spam is ideally done by rolling your face on your keyboard right!?

I still get mind blown at how good the music in this game is

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
How hard would this be to get back into/caught up? Would I need to buy any expansions? Played on Gilga, left off with all the orig adventure jobs at 50 and all had relic 1.0's.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
How hard would this be to get back into/caught up? Would I need to buy any expansions? Played on Gilga, left off with all the orig adventure jobs at 50 and all had relic 1.0's.
Everything 50+ requires HW basically. Lots of 2.x story to catch up on though if you left with the relic patch -- but the 1.x relics aren't built upon so it's basically just leveling and continuing the MSQ.

Not hard at all to get caught up. You'd be behind on...esoteric? tomes, but the time-gated currency tends to change every other patch. Not a big deal anyway unless you're in a savage alex killing guild.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Gave this game a legit try for about 2 weeks got 2 classes to 50 and then had zero desire to keep grinding. Feels extremely single player-y for my taste. Story was somewhat fun though but not good enough to keep grinding for me personally.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
After about month of inconsistent A3S groups because of people quitting, we finally made awesome progress this week.

We got all mechanics post geyser add phase to enrage down in one night...consistently!

And we can take out first gaol without LB/CDs/Pots and LB3 ST the boss.

The issue? Our MT who is our weakest link / friends with everyone / started group wasn't here this week so we took a tank whose group just died.

Incoming drama when we beat it this week without him and he realizes he sucks ; ;

Flight

Molten Core Raider
It's not so much PLD needs a buff so much as Sword Oath being ass compared to Maim and Darkside's modifiers. Point being: it's more a symptom of the ability than the class overall, imo, unless we go into Flash/Circle of Scorn vs. Overpower/Decimate, Unleash/Abyssal Drain/Salted Earth
For the group game I love to be grouped with Paladin as a healer - they tank so much better than DRK/WAR

This is interesting from the producers letter this week, looking forward to 3.2 :

Many of those attempting instanced raids in the early stages tend to use advanced materia melding on accessories, which lead to tanks being required to meld STR or VIT. Due to this there were times where the melded accessories were better than the accessories which dropped from clearing the instance. In order to resolve this issue,in Patch 3.2 we will be making adjustments that will change the damage calculations of tanks into a more appropriate state.

As an overall plan moving forward, we will be making adjustments so that a burden is not placed on any particular role in order to challenge a high-difficulty raid.
Note also that from 3.2 gear can't be melded with materia for primary stats, only secondary.

As an aside I read today FFXI closes down March 2016. Will be a sad day.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Producer's Letter_sl said:
As an overall plan moving forward, we will be making adjustments so that a burden is not placed on any particular role in order to challenge a high-difficulty raid.
Yeah, they said that after FCoB as well, and look how Gordias Savage turned out. =/

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Heavensward takes like 40 hours or less to complete depending on class (healer/tank is so much faster, DPS dungeon queues are the worst). If you have friends, gearing up to be raid ready should take another 10ish hours?

icarr757_sl

shitlord
2 questions...

Anyone recommend a late night server? I am a night shift nurse that works weekends so I tend to play 7pm to 7am mon - thurs.

Anyone recommend a good primer / blog for shit not to miss as a total noobie? I have heard you can gimp yourself if you pass over some game stuff and their is no notice saying **DO THIS IT IS IMPORTANT**

Much thanks