Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I found a crafter that advertised them all for 1.8m on PF. Think her name was Sasha Braveheart so could try to see if she has mats for another batch.

Saban_sl

shitlord
So since theres only so much stuff i can do in a day towards combat classes, i'm going to start working on my DoH/DoL. Having levelled all DoH to 50, and mining/botanist to 50, whats the easiest course of action to start working on them? I googled some guides but i didnt see much specific to going from 50-60. Is there any specific order i should do them in to make them easier?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're in luck! The moogle quests they just added take the place in HS for the old Ehcatls(mostly) in that they are DoH related and give you xp for doing them. Other than that, leves and log like normal, as well as the daily hand ins at your Grand Company place. DoH/DoL also have an entire collectible system for turning in items for "scrips" where you use an ability that attempts to gather/create an item that can be turned in for XP and at 55+ blue scrips, which are used to purchase related gear from vendors in Idyllshire. Without going into a ton of detail here, an easy place to check out guides (not really shilling, but if someone has already done all the legwork, why type it all out~)Crafting Archives FFXIV Guildand then pick the class from the tabs at the top for a quick guide on the best leves/collectible as well as some generic gear advice and location information.

As for order to make them easier? The only cross-class ability that you will need/use beyond the ones you already have for the most part is Makers Mark (GSM 54) and perhaps Muscle Memory (CUL 54) but really? The built in abilities you learn in each class that can't be transferred to others are plenty for leveling and you can basically do them in any order aside from the cross class stuff you already have access to. Careful Synth II/Comfort Zone/Byregot's Blessing/Tricks of the Trade/Ingen I or II/Steady Hand II and Flawless Synth(for use with Maker's Mark, if you go that route) are really the most useful cross class abilities for leveling. It really is just business as normal, except now you have the wonder that is Precise Touch for all DoH at 52.

DoL is the same, and given the inflation of the servers in general will make leveling much less expensive and painful for your DoH.

As you do the HS quests, you'll get these 300k bonus xp for 20m items. Until you get to 55/56 you generally won't be able to really use all of that xp up in the time limit, so it is better to hold onto them for when you are mass producing leve items or what have you after you are to that range.

Edit - I will add, however, that if you are trying to supply yourself with all the mats from gathering classes, you are almost 100% going to hit cap with your gatherers before your crafters. HS mat collection is substantially more volume intensive than ARR, especially for any of the metal items. I would generally recommend that you save any leves for the DoH unless you are about to cap out or something.

Saban_sl

shitlord
So Leves are still largely the same, no extra jumping through hoops bullshit? i'll probably spend a couple days grinding out bot and miner and then get to work. Thanks for the writeup.

Malakriss

Gathering leves have always sucked (Fishing included because it rotates 2/3) but some of the crafting leves are awesome if they line up with super cheap desynth mats on the market board. Also, I see the Amazon codes are now being advertised for millions since it ends this weekend.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fishing has one solid leve range during heavensward and that's the level 54 ones. You can catch all three types in the same area (though you need different bait for one) and as you can't even catch the level 56 leves until you are 58 to use goblin jig, it makes it a very no-brainer leveling mechanic. But yeah, generally gathering leves have sucked forever hah. HS at least lets you do collectibles, which are substantially easier as a fisherman compared to miner bot since most don't have timeframes you have to worry about and weather normally only reduces chances, not turns it off.

Malakriss

I'm finally starting to hit 60s on my disciples of the land and getting into the scrip grinds. Since catching up looks way expensive and grueling should I focus on using fishing to max scrips and unlock the legendary nodes, then farm those mats to make money? There's way more tiers than I expected but if scrip gear is sufficient I'll forgo trying to reach high end and simply save up money for next expansion.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would imagine that a full set of scrip gear is plenty for current nodes, especially augmented with goblin dice. The requirements for the folklore nodes are like 600 gathering / 645 perception and then 720 gathering / 740 perception, I think. The ironworks stuff is effectively overkill at the moment, though fully overmelded it is apparently the best you can possibly get until 4.0, as augmented scrip gear is slightly better than raw Ironworks.

Nocello

Golden Squire
Anybody play this on PS4? How are the controls? I just haven't wanted to sit at the pc for extended periods of time, but getting an MMO itch recently... and it's on sale.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I would imagine that a full set of scrip gear is plenty for current nodes, especially augmented with goblin dice. The requirements for the folklore nodes are like 600 gathering / 645 perception and then 720 gathering / 740 perception, I think. The ironworks stuff is effectively overkill at the moment, though fully overmelded it is apparently the best you can possibly get until 4.0, as augmented scrip gear is slightly better than raw Ironworks.
What he said, but to break it down more:

Adept/Trailblazer gear < HQ Chimerical Felt < i180 (class specific) Scrip Gear <= HQ Carbonweave^ <= HQ i170* < Augmented Scrip Gear < Ironworks HQ**

^ Depending on how you meld it, it can have higher stats than the i180 stuff.
* Supplants Carbonweave by a hair (crafters only). Carbonweave can't be overmelded, but the mat-tastic i170 crafter class-specific gear can be.
** Again, base (HQ) stats are lower, but melding can overcome that.

Saban_sl

shitlord
The collectibles system is nice for levelling DoL but im so good at fucking it up by not having collectors hand active or whatever other dumb reason.

Malakriss

The 56-57 collectable stuff was easily doable but once you get closer to cap your gear will hold you back if it isn't up to snuff. I squeaked out the 550 perception / 600 GP (using food) to get a counterfoil and then my perception jacked upwards with each upgrade. Now I can do the 9/10 + 12 botany rotation and weave other stuff in between.

Saban_sl

shitlord
i just hit 53 and i've only been doing the yellow ore stuff but i gotta go look into whats next soon. So much shit to do so little time, didnt come close to capping lore this week and didnt get a drop from weeping city either.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Even mostly unaugmented "keep" gear is enough for current stuff if you have remotely recent gear in the other slots with the occasional perception materia. I spent my late-evening getting a full set for my miner and botanist. Puts me without augmentation at 755 gathering/722 perception. Considering that you can augment 1-2 pieces per week, you should be golden. I'd do the + perception ones first, as that is going to be your bottleneck.

The offhand can't be augmented for Miner/Bot, and it has by far the highest requirements in that it takes 3 weeks worth of red scripts to get (26 red rowenas; you can get 9 a week) But it's a pretty big improvement over HQ adamantite. However, spending your scrips on Mainhand and one of the 3pt upgrades is a larger net increase and only takes two weeks.

The green "omni" slot stuff is hit or miss. An overmelded level 50 set is superior, so if you still have that there's really no reason to grab the fieldcraft greens off the vendor

In the end though, the blue scrip x50 x99 x6 is going to be the real bottleneck hah. Once you have all three at 60 you can sit in Hinterlands doing the Morel/Cuprite cycle with Perch in between. Seems to be about the best per-hour rate. For Reds (until folklore) I'd recommend doing Adamantite/Chysal and then doing Eventide Jade near Anyx Trine. It almost always spawns on a node with +1 gather, and you can get 3 (10 scrips each) per pop by doing the default de meth de meth sm meth rotation. Cuts a bit of time out of your red scrip weekly farming needs.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Anybody play this on PS4? How are the controls? I just haven't wanted to sit at the pc for extended periods of time, but getting an MMO itch recently... and it's on sale.
It plays incredibly well. That said once you start to get a ton of abilities (which the game has - 3 bars generally @ 60) it can feel a bit cumbersome to me anyway. Google the cross hotbar system for FFXIV. Beyond that moving about, solo etc. is really good. Ultimately I stopped using PS4 at level 20 or so because I didn't like juggling all the crossbar combos. I'm also not a console gamer really so YMMV.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I made it all the way to level cap as a tank on ps3, so ps4 should be more than acceptable.

Although once i got to more difficult content i moved over to pc and havent looked back.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Regarding red gathering scrips, Tiny Axolotl master farming race. Getting 100 reds in one window/spawn is $$$, and these suckers will generally be 24/26 reds each. You're also not as restricted to RNG save for the fish biting and Patience's boost, and these bite frequently with Brute Leech. I've had windows where I've had 9+ bites, but most were NQ (because Patience had worn off and cordial on CD).

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
It plays incredibly well. That said once you start to get a ton of abilities (which the game has - 3 bars generally @ 60) it can feel a bit cumbersome to me anyway. Google the cross hotbar system for FFXIV. Beyond that moving about, solo etc. is really good. Ultimately I stopped using PS4 at level 20 or so because I didn't like juggling all the crossbar combos. I'm also not a console gamer really so YMMV.
I agree that this is totally personal, and YMMV.

/ancedote
I started in February on the PS4 and enjoy using the controller as a real change from years of keyboard+mouse. I play Scholar as my main (55 at the moment), have both PLD and WAR to high 30s, and everything else is 25+. I find it completely comfortable to juggle pet positioning, piles of cures/shields/heals, five different dots, Aetherflow mechanics, and all the misc buffs and cool downs using the crossbar setup. You get 32 abilities on rapid access (L2+button, R2+button, L2->R2+button, R2->L2+button) plus a pet bar (R1+button) so it is easy enough to train yourself to hit the right combo really quickly. I find that using UP-DOWN to go through the party for healing is easy enough and I just configured the options to setup the group order with tanks first in the list.

The worst bit is cycling through hostile targets (LEFT-RIGHT), even with target filtering on, as it just doesn't always get you to the right target fast enough. This is most annoying on DPS classes/jobs when you really should be on a particular target in a big crowd of potential targets. On my Scholar, I don't mind as I am usually just going to fully load up an off-target with DOTS then spread them to everything in range with Bane anyway, so the target doesn't matter so much.

Key things to making my experience work were: UI layout, party ordering, target filters, enable extra cross bar for L2>R2 split from R2>L2, and (somewhat) playing a healer.