Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Year old but HW era:Guide to Leveling : ffxiv

I would almost do aleport up to 22, then swap between East Shroud / South Shroud if you're doing fates. Costa fates still good but not as many people hunting them.
Is this specifically for second job leveling? I am doing tons of quests right now that seem to work well to get my Thaugadidsisisis to 30.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
First job basically follow the main story. The main story plus the dungeons it makes you do pretty much will level you until you hit 51ish. If you seem to be a tad behind, you get extra experience for the first leve quest you do at each leve guy iirc.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, first class main story is fine. Second class fates are pretty damn fast and easy, especially with a leveled chicken. Queue for dailies while you fate run. Do leve's if bored. The daily beast tribe quests are decent xp if you still need faction/material to sell for gil.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yea, first class main story is fine. Second class fates are pretty damn fast and easy, especially with a leveled chicken. Queue for dailies while you fate run. Do leve's if bored. The daily beast tribe quests are decent xp if you still need faction/material to sell for gil.
So quick question. When I hit 30 T and 15 Arc to get BLM, is BLM all by itself from there on out and I just level BLM to 60? Or do I need to level the other classes along with BLM?

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Is this specifically for second job leveling? I am doing tons of quests right now that seem to work well to get my Thaugadidsisisis to 30.
On a second job you'll likely still have side quests in some areas you skipped on first job. The issue I ran into/people run into is while I love the job system, once you do those quests, that's it. They aren't available for your next job or 8 that you level. This is why people mention FATE's, leve quests, etc. for leveling other jobs. As opposed to say wow when you roll another character you have all the quest content available to you "again" on that character. I still love the job system!

Sarg_sl

shitlord
Has anyone tried out the new dungeon? Seems pretty legit, I'd like to see what the exp gain is like for leveling up alt classes... I assume its just a lump sum at the end based on what you do/how far you go in the dungeon?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So quick question. When I hit 30 T and 15 Arc to get BLM, is BLM all by itself from there on out and I just level BLM to 60? Or do I need to level the other classes along with BLM?
Well, mostly. Each Job (BLM is a job, Thaug is a class) only has two classes it can pull cross class abilities from. BLMs draw from Archer and Arcanist, and there are some... sort of useful abilities in each of those classes. Since you already have to level arc to 15, you're going to get virus and physic, which are the better low level abilities from the class you have access to. You can also get raging strikes from Archer at 4, which is a nice dps cooldown since it just adds 20% damage to your abilities for a few seconds. Where it gets debateable (though not really, for normal play) is whether the level 34 abilities for archer and arcanist are worth going for. Archer has quelling strikes, which reduces your threat generation for a bit. It kind of goes really nicely if you open with thunder dots and fire spam stance, as you can curtail the possible aggro pull before it gets out of hand, giving tanks plenty of time to get aggro. This is especially true in sub 40 dungeons with paladin tanks on AE pulls, as they don't get their aggro stance until 40. I wouldn't say anything past Raging strikes and Physic though are really essential for standard play of a BLM though. The rest are just nice perks if you can get them, and being able to toss Eye for an Eye on a tank can help AE pulls go quicker.

For a lot of other classes though, you are missing incredibly key skills if you don't level the applicable job-specific cross class abilities. White mages come immediately to mind, as swift cast is incredibly useful. Same goes with Warriors and getting provoke for snap aggro, or -any- class that can get Lancer's Blood for Blood ability. BLMs can definitely skirt having to level other classes for normal play past the early levels, though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone tried out the new dungeon? Seems pretty legit, I'd like to see what the exp gain is like for leveling up alt classes... I assume its just a lump sum at the end based on what you do/how far you go in the dungeon?
1-10 for a 53 WHM yielded 216,000 xp (1,555,200 to level)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thinking about dusting this off. Only made it to mid 30's or so. How long would it take me to get into the expansion? I don't ask to rush, but more so to know if I need to buy it right away or if I should be waiting months to buy it?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
From the mid 30s, probably a week or so if you're a healer/tank and play reasonably often, longer if the above isn't true. The level 50 stuff will take awhile by itself, simply because there was a -lot- of endgame content before the expansion dropped. If you read the story and watch the cutscenes, that adds a couple of hours minimum to the trek.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Thinking about dusting this off. Only made it to mid 30's or so. How long would it take me to get into the expansion? I don't ask to rush, but more so to know if I need to buy it right away or if I should be waiting months to buy it?
You can't even do anything with the expansion until you finish the vanilla storyline iirc. If you see it on sale for half off as they do pretty often pick it up, but otherwise you might as well wait until you can actually use it. You can hit 50 pretty fast, but then you got about 12 hours of storyline to go through.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
You can't even do anything with the expansion until you finish the vanilla storyline iirc. If you see it on sale for half off as they do pretty often pick it up, but otherwise you might as well wait until you can actually use it. You can hit 50 pretty fast, but then you got about 12 hours of storyline to go through.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well, mostly. Each Job (BLM is a job, Thaug is a class) only has two classes it can pull cross class abilities from. BLMs draw from Archer and Arcanist, and there are some... sort of useful abilities in each of those classes. Since you already have to level arc to 15, you're going to get virus and physic, which are the better low level abilities from the class you have access to. You can also get raging strikes from Archer at 4, which is a nice dps cooldown since it just adds 20% damage to your abilities for a few seconds. Where it gets debateable (though not really, for normal play) is whether the level 34 abilities for archer and arcanist are worth going for. Archer has quelling strikes, which reduces your threat generation for a bit. It kind of goes really nicely if you open with thunder dots and fire spam stance, as you can curtail the possible aggro pull before it gets out of hand, giving tanks plenty of time to get aggro. This is especially true in sub 40 dungeons with paladin tanks on AE pulls, as they don't get their aggro stance until 40. I wouldn't say anything past Raging strikes and Physic though are really essential for standard play of a BLM though. The rest are just nice perks if you can get them, and being able to toss Eye for an Eye on a tank can help AE pulls go quicker.

For a lot of other classes though, you are missing incredibly key skills if you don't level the applicable job-specific cross class abilities. White mages come immediately to mind, as swift cast is incredibly useful. Same goes with Warriors and getting provoke for snap aggro, or -any- class that can get Lancer's Blood for Blood ability. BLMs can definitely skirt having to level other classes for normal play past the early levels, though.
Ok. Thanks
smile.png
More questions to come I am sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll probably try out the free login campaign and see if it grabs my interest. Always played on PS3/PS4 so will be interesting to see how it looks on my PC

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
If you don't watch movies it will take you like 20 hours to get to expansion content from 30. If you watch movies it might take you 4 generations. There's a lot of fucking cut scenes.