Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Musketeer's confirmed? What's that branch from anyways?
It'll be a class, and it's confirmed that it's being worked on but they could change their priorities or whatever. You can see the guild in Limsa Lominsa though(there's a gun emblem on it and all like other guilds), plus various NPCs have guns animations already done. Jobs that could branch out of it would be Corsair but Sharpshooter or Gunslinger(which I think they said they were considering too somewhere) or something would also be an option I assume, that's why Ranger isn't really that guaranteed. Adding just a job to an existing class would probably be a lot easier however, but at the same time it also depends a bit on how much work was done with Musketeer. In one of the early phase of beta/alpha, you could find Muskets as drops in the game so it could be pretty advanced for all we know.

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
this is the first game I pre ordered the ce. I just feel that its worth the money and I really like how they have changed ff14 and hearing what yoshi p had to say I think this is a solid game! Also playing in the last beta weekends and see how smoothly it runs.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
this is the first game I pre ordered the ce. I just feel that its worth the money and I really like how they have changed ff14 and hearing what yoshi p had to say I think this is a solid game! Also playing in the last beta weekends and see how smoothly it runs.
i really want to believe what yoshi has to say and that he will follow through on it but everything i know about mmo devs tells me "dont do it, dont be a sucker ... again!"

Sean_sl

shitlord
It'll be a class, and it's confirmed that it's being worked on but they could change their priorities or whatever. You can see the guild in Limsa Lominsa though(there's a gun emblem on it and all like other guilds), plus various NPCs have guns animations already done. Jobs that could branch out of it would be Corsair but Sharpshooter or Gunslinger(which I think they said they were considering too somewhere) or something would also be an option I assume, that's why Ranger isn't really that guaranteed. Adding just a job to an existing class would probably be a lot easier however, but at the same time it also depends a bit on how much work was done with Musketeer. In one of the early phase of beta/alpha, you could find Muskets as drops in the game so it could be pretty advanced for all we know.
Oh, it's a base class. I really hope they get that in quickly then.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
That guild has been there since FFXIV 1.0 beta so they have been planning for it for a looong time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That guild has been there since FFXIV 1.0 beta so they have been planning for it for a looong time.
Well they had a lot of plans I'm sure with the original but in the end they didn't do shit, I don't even think they added a single class to 1.0 even though it ran for a pretty long time. That said as I mentionned it's not just the guild, you could find musketeer weapons for a bit due to a bug and shit like that. It could be that they hesitated between Arcanist and Musketeer and went with Arcanist instead because the Summoner stuff is just that much more "final fantasy" and they'll drop the musketeer but I don't know, I could see it being added in the 2 or so major patch after release to fill the ranged DPS non THM gap.

Regardless, there's no more guarantee of a Ranger job than a Musketeer class so for now you either have to play Archer or Bard or just go with a melee class. We won't know their post release plans until after release anyway, at this point they're mostly focused on finishing whatever's in the game I'm sure and that's already quite a lot of work, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if not everything was in at release sadly.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Btw, I really fucking truly despise the fact that I have to use a surname. I've always been just Sean whenever possible. I did however amuse myself by using Sterling Archer in P2/P3 for my Archer. Also, I just can't think up a good surname for Sean that goes with Archer characters, though Sean Archer does have a decent ring to it. On the other hand, I have a couple great ones for a Lancer class (thanks Irish Mythology and the Nasuverse!).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The interesting ways to go around that I've seen was to use Lord or similar qualifications as your first name, so it appears as Lord Sean.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
I also hate having to have a surname attached with character. Maybe I'll go Ser Sike or something.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Surnames are terrible. In real life Brazilians can choose to go by one name if they want. Why can't we in an online game in 2013?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's actually kind of annoying. I used the name "Aria Noodleface" because "Noodleface SOMETHING" would've been so stupid. Of course, with the popularity of game of thrones, I saw about 36 Arya's running around and also a few Aria's. I know that's how it is in the real world, whatever.. it's fucking dumb.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Apes at the zoo don't have surnames either, why would Brazilians? Sean's problem is he's never had an internet nickname that his mother didn't assign him at birth, so I can imagine the task of stepping out of the womb and thinking up both a first and last name all by himself surely must be daunting. Unless his name isn't Sean, then he's just fucking weird.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Apes at the zoo don't have surnames either, why would Brazilians? Sean's problem is he's never had an internet nickname that his mother didn't assign him at birth, so I can imagine the task of stepping out of the womb and thinking up both a first and last name all by himself surely must be daunting. Unless his name isn't Sean, then he's just fucking weird.
Try to refrain from shitting up perfectly civil Gaming threads with your jealousy-fueled personal attacks.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My better half and I will be playing. Probably going to ignore a lot of the non-storyline quests since I don't really enjoy fedexing or gather/kill X. Doing Hunt Logs was a little more interesting since you had to find the mobs without much guidance sometimes. Mixing leveling with crafting/gathering and going at a slower pace has been fun. FATEs and Dungeons seem decent enough.

Few side questions for those with more experience.
a. How / When can I start using a retainer/broker?
b. Does the world open much past what we are seeing in the 30s areas?
c. I found gil hard to come by unless I was doing quests... FATEs give very little and shop selling items is pitiful... is there a better way?
I'd probably be joining the two of you if I wasn't having a blast playing League of Legends right now.

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's probably meaningless at this point and probably too early to tell, but has there been any indication of class distribution during P3? There was a conversation in IRC yesterday and it came up that there was an extreme overabundance of Dragoons and Dark Knights in FF11, iirc.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
It's probably meaningless at this point and probably too early to tell, but has there been any indication of class distribution during P3? There was a conversation in IRC yesterday and it came up that there was an extreme overabundance of Dragoons and Dark Knights in FF11, iirc.
I could be wrong about this because my years in FFXI were on and off, but I think the abundance of classes changed over time - Dragoons was due to them being the most viable soloers at end game for a while for example. I don't think it will be as big an issue in FFXIV.