Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Syia_sl

shitlord
This is the same feeling I'm having about the game. I got to lvl 12 and just didn't care anymore and logged out. The combat is slow, boring, and uninspired. Old school tab target just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I really wanted to like the game but when I have to force myself to keep playing in hopes it eventually becomes fun then something is wrong.
The combat is not revolutionary, even a step back from modern systems. The slower pace feels just "alright" once you've put enough time into it. The GCD ensures time for some of the more pleasant animations to come through. Each attack feels really powerful since each ability "counts for more", given the longer GCD. Combat itself is pretty responsive to everything you do besides running from AOE circles, which is a matter of when hits are registered in game code. If you need as good or better than WoW style combat, FFXIV in its current iteration does not provide that. The biggest staple that is missing (subjective), is the lack of reactionary abilities on so many classes. Everything is set in stone for Paladin, Warrior, Dragoon, and Monk. Black mage, Bard, and Conjurer all have procs, but those aren't overly interesting right now either.

Tangentially, if you can look past the combat (which I recognize, is a deal-breaker for many people), the game has a lot of character in its art design and, as a sum of its parts, there is a very large feature set of ways to play. Between questing, main quest, class quest, leves, guildhests, hunting log, FATES, chains, and dungeons there are a lot of options to pick your style on playing the game. This flexibility is useful to delay the life span of the game by making multi-classing necessary and more fun than repeating SWTOR mandatory story quests. That being said, the complete lack of end-game right now will kill the game unless they accelerate their patch cycle. There needs to be as much, if not more, ways to play end-game. Maybe PvP isn't necessary, but the time not taken into PvP needs to be developed in generating more playable content that isn't quickly consumed.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
Have they announced any end game content? Does anyone actually know what there will be besides the two dungeons, and .......dailies?

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I just started a character, Pysek Annatar, on the Marlboro server. I was hoping to join a shell or guild for rerolled. I suck as a player and generally as a person, but that being said, if anyone can toss me an invite, I'd appreciate it.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I honestly believe it won't have any
What makes you think that? They already said they are bringing over 1.0 raid stuff, so this is already created. The Behemoths Labrynth and Crystal Tower are full fledged raid zones from what I understand. Not to mention they said they are adding in primal fights and whatnot. And I doubt they would focus on their first patch adding PvP if they had no endgame stuff already in place. And not to mention, YoshiP said he has been a hardcore raider for many years through EQ, WoW, etc. He won't ignore endgame. They just don't want full access to the end-game in beta, and this isn't the first game like this, but that doesn't mean the content doesn't exist.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the fact that I have one character and can spend a while simply leveling all the classes to 50 will really eat into my time :3 I'm no completionist but it's kinda cool having everything on the same character. Helps ya keep track of people! That'll be my endgame for some time :p

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I honestly believe it won't have any
Really?

There's 4 man 8 man and 24 man raid content
So which is it?
rolleyes.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What makes you think that? They already said they are bringing over 1.0 raid stuff, so this is already created. The Behemoths Labrynth and Crystal Tower are full fledged raid zones from what I understand. Not to mention they said they are adding in primal fights and whatnot. And I doubt they would focus on their first patch adding PvP if they had no endgame stuff already in place. And not to mention, YoshiP said he has been a hardcore raider for many years through EQ, WoW, etc. He won't ignore endgame. They just don't want full access to the end-game in beta, and this isn't the first game like this, but that doesn't mean the content doesn't exist.
I'm an avid supporter of this game, and I'm going to buy it, and I'll get my enjoyment out of it. That said, people are absolutely bullshitting themselves if they think that SE could remake this entire game and add new raid content in time; especially after fucking us with 1.0. They'll have the old raid stuff there, but I guarantee it won't last. People are going to be level 50 by the end of 1 or 2 weeks from launch and we're really going to see what this game has. YoshiP has said a lot of things, but he has to earn back his trust first.

Syia_sl

shitlord
I'm an avid supporter of this game, and I'm going to buy it, and I'll get my enjoyment out of it. That said, people are absolutely bullshitting themselves if they think that SE could remake this entire game and add new raid content in time; especially after fucking us with 1.0. They'll have the old raid stuff there, but I guarantee it won't last. People are going to be level 50 by the end of 1 or 2 weeks from launch and we're really going to see what this game has. YoshiP has said a lot of things, but he has to earn back his trust first.
With how easy everything has been, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the hardcore legacy guilds clears out all available content within a month. Making raiding your endgame is a pretty dangerous method to keep people playing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
With how easy everything has been, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the hardcore legacy guilds clears out all available content within a month. Making raiding your endgame is a pretty dangerous method to keep people playing.
If Blue Gartr plays this still I guarantee it cleared within a week. I'd be willing to put money down on it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I don't think anyone gives a fuck how fast people who had geared lvl 50s at launch take to clear raid content. Nor do I expect it to take more than 2-3weeks for non legacy players to clear, just because the lvling speed doesn't look slow and there's very little chance raid content is tuned such as it's not beatable in ~2weeks(with half a week to level to cap for hardcore guilds). Especially your launch raid tier, that'd be very very surprising, unless there's a stupid gating mechanic like forced keying with 5key per week or whatever stupid idea.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think he can be killed now, but that game is completely different now with the lvl 99 caps and shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Btw I talked about it earlier, don't think it was linked, this is UNCONFIRMED dev stuff about phase4:

http://www.bluegartr.com/showthread....71#post5805771

A summary of other stuff he said:

They're trying to get Arcanist ready for Phase 4
Please wait a little more for the details on how Arcanist works (perhaps revealed in the upcoming Niconico Live Event?)
Event Bosses implemented in Phase 4
SLI support implemented in Phase 4
Male Miqotes (and other races?) will have unique motions when entering baths
When leveling a second class, you will have bonus exp
Addressed a bug where the cursor goes funny in some instances
Adjustments to how (slow/fast) a Gatherer levels
Adjustments (maybe) to the ease of making HQs from NQ materials in crafting
An in-game event will be implemented right away after Launch (Bomb Event?)
The dev team has designed endgame events to outright kill players
(The Labyrinth of) Bahamut is so long, it pretty much requires players to 'save progress' as they proceed through the dungeon
No plans to implement a 'your server only' option for the Duty Finder as for now

As per why he came to that decision for the last point, Yoshi-P made a long post about the Duty Finder in which he explains why, so wait till the offical translated response for that.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Btw I talked about it earlier, don't think it was linked, this is UNCONFIRMED dev stuff about phase4:

http://www.bluegartr.com/showthread....71#post5805771

A summary of other stuff he said:

They're trying to get Arcanist ready for Phase 4
Please wait a little more for the details on how Arcanist works (perhaps revealed in the upcoming Niconico Live Event?)
Event Bosses implemented in Phase 4
SLI support implemented in Phase 4
Male Miqotes (and other races?) will have unique motions when entering baths
When leveling a second class, you will have bonus exp
Addressed a bug where the cursor goes funny in some instances
Adjustments to how (slow/fast) a Gatherer levels
Adjustments (maybe) to the ease of making HQs from NQ materials in crafting
An in-game event will be implemented right away after Launch (Bomb Event?)
The dev team has designed endgame events to outright kill players
(The Labyrinth of) Bahamut is so long, it pretty much requires players to 'save progress' as they proceed through the dungeon
No plans to implement a 'your server only' option for the Duty Finder as for now

As per why he came to that decision for the last point, Yoshi-P made a long post about the Duty Finder in which he explains why, so wait till the offical translated response for that.
I'm not near as hardcore as I once was, so if the game did lack much for raids, it wouldn't matter to me because I will probably level 3 or 4 jobs, and run a lot of 4 mans to gear up. From what I've heard, there is enough "other stuff" to do, besides just raiding at max level, that the game hopefully wont get boring. But if what you said there is true, and endgame will be brutal, and Bahamut's Labyrinth is that long, that would be pretty sweet. I could go for a good old fashioned long raid run like Karazhan. Hopefully like the first time setting foot into Molten Core and watching raids get fucked up by the Molten Giants lol.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Too easy, you couldn't even walk from one end of any of main cities to the other without getting a BINGO.