Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is the ARR stuff where you take like 3 airships, zone 7 times, kill 1 mob, then do it all again to talk to the quest guy? I remember in my 20s the quest guy eventually gave me an ear piece, so we could communicate. "YAY" I thought, no more taking multiple airships and zoning a bunch of times for a 1 kill/ delivery quest! NOPE. Still had to do it ;\
"Pray return to the Waking Sands" became a meme because of ARR. There's also a ton of back and forth in the later level 50 content. Until you got to the buildup for Heavensward the design was simply not how you want a modern MMO to be.

Cybsled

The next major content patch is supposed to streamline and trim a lot of the ARR MSQ grind. Hopefully part of that involves either putting a TP point at the Walking Sands or Minfillia just uses a damned linkshell instead of making you come back lol

Cybsled

Maybe taking out the mandatory cutscenes because that was such a great idea.

It's a trade-off. They gave MSQ roulette a massive XP and tome bonus for running it. You get like 50%-60% of a level for Pratorium, which takes approximately 40min or so. That's amazing for leveling alts.

Cybsled

Ya, so I just load-up Netflix or Youtube or browse these forums while Nero blabs on for 7 minutes lol

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
MSQ roulette is great if you want great rewards while half-playing in the background.

It's the best exp per hour if you're looking to min-max. You don't even have to suffer through it, just find something to occupy your attention.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess the problem is you're stuck between Prae and Castrum. If there were remotely any of the other 50 encounters it might be more bearable. I'm sure I've had Westwind before but that may not have been as an MSQ as I don't think there were any cutscenes to sit through on that, just pop up text.

Malakriss

Westwind is a trial. I love that one, boss melts in like 5 seconds and you’re done
Except when it's an actual player doing the story for the first time. They are watching a 3 minute cutscene at the start and the trial group is stuck in the ring waiting for them to finish.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Except when it's an actual player doing the story for the first time. They are watching a 3 minute cutscene at the start and the trial group is stuck in the ring waiting for them to finish.

Oh noes, 3 minutes.

One thing I have to laugh at when I see chats in the game are people complaining about DPS queues. Even as DPS the queues in this game can be stupidly short compared to WoW. Unless you're queuing for something that is silly to queue for (extreme trials, etc). With the perspective of coming from WoW, I don't mind if someone hasn't seen a cutscene before because the queue was 10+ minutes shorter than a dungeon wait would have been in WoW.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All they really need to do is add a crystal to Vesper Bay and condense Waking Sands/Rising Stones into one transition, not 37.

It'd still make it pretty painful and not cut into their MSQ skip profits, but it'd make it significantly more bearable to do. I was seriously considering self-harm by the end of post-ARR. The last few cutscenes were pretty amazing though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

When you go into waking sands, before you go into the HQ room with Minfilia - that room on the upper right that is blocked off - that was.. from everything I've read anyways... suppose to be a room with a Crystal. I did a quick search and cant find anything about it now, but man.. people were complaining about Waking Sands way back when ARR first launched. Limited complaints, cause well.. true classic FFXIV sucked donkey balls. I still remember people complaining about the original. Reused art assets, limited movement etc. So a complaint about the travel time to and from Waking Sands was an after thought. No idea why they never did add that crystal room. Maybe since everything went to Rising Stones, they just said fk it.

Outside of the convenience of a crystal there - if you look up a step by step of the MSQ - You could wipe out several quests with the ear piece across much of the entire game. It seems like the team has only gotten better as time goes, thankfully. As the last two expansions have been great and I would give the most recent expansion at least a nomination for Game of the Year. So anything they did for convenience in the past would go a long ways towards improving their base game. You have to admit that it's a bit sad that advice to new players of the game is that if you can afford it, spend a bit more money and skip ARR altogether.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Started playing via the free method. I'm level 18. It's been probably 10 years since I've played a MMO.

I was doing pretty much every quest I saw, and treating this like Borderlands or some other game, and then I traveled from Ul'dah to Gridania due to some quest (maybe the main one?) and started picking up every quest I saw like usual. And then it hit me this is a MMO and I'm in a starting area. And a lot of the quests are level 1.

So, aside from me realizing I'm old. I also realized I'm probably doing this all wrong. What should I be focusing on as a level? It's a bit intimidating honestly. Do I just do Blue+ quests or something?

Daidraco

Started playing via the free method. I'm level 18. It's been probably 10 years since I've played a MMO.

I was doing pretty much every quest I saw, and treating this like Borderlands or some other game, and then I traveled from Ul'dah to Gridania due to some quest (maybe the main one?) and started picking up every quest I saw like usual. And then it hit me this is a MMO and I'm in a starting area. And a lot of the quests are level 1.

So, aside from me realizing I'm old. I also realized I'm probably doing this all wrong. What should I be focusing on as a level? It's a bit intimidating honestly. Do I just do Blue+ quests or something?

I releveled off just the MSQ, Blue Quests and the occasional dungeon run. The lore quests all over the place. Thats one way to level, but there are so many better ways to level. If I get bored of the other ways when I play, I'll do them. But, that.. in a round about way answers your question. Just do the MSQ and the blues, you'll be fine.

What server/group did you start on? Im on Coeurl if you need anything. I dont log on much lately, but I'll help you if needed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Yeah just MSQ(the flame/meteor icon, there's a tracker for it if you didn't hide it in the top left of the screen) and blue quests which unlock content(dungeons, features like ventures/mounts etc or side content like Gold Saucer). Also they're blue but make sure you do your class quests every 5 levels, they give you some weapons for 1-30 but more importantly unlock important skills at 15 and 30 and are required for your job quests for the skills every 5 levels from 35 to 50(plus free AF armor at 45+). Granted the free trial stops a while before that but still.

Sidequests were more relevant back in 2.0 when the xp was kinda shit so you had to do some to get to the next level and so on, but nowadays they should be skipped, you can do them once you decide to lvl an alt class, since this game lets you play everything on one character, which also means you can't reuse the quests you used on your first char, so you can do sidequests or just chain run dungeons(much faster tbh).

Consider sidequests as just xp fillers for the most part, a few have interesting stories or are referenced later on, but it's very rare(and starting Heavensward the interesting one are clearly marked, by having a fancy image on their quest log page).

And yes the main quest will take you to all 3 cities around lvl 15, then it'll merge(if you made a character in Gridania instead for example, you'd have a different storyline for the 1-15 part, you meet different Scions, Uldah's one is the best in terms of overall story though).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Malakriss

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020, it was confirmed that one employee working at our Tokyo head office had a positive response to a new type of coronavirus infection. Currently, the employee is undergoing home medical treatment under the guidance of a physician.

From April 8 (Wednesday) to May 6 (Wednesday), all employees work from home.

This may delay 5.3

• 1Rustled