Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yes! Didn't know about /isearch, but that did it! I swear i'm going braindead, I literally checked everywhere BUT my Armory Chest. For some reason I was convinced it would be a quest item or in my inventory, despite also knowing it had to be equipped. This is humbling, 20 year old me playing EQ would be so embarrassed.
Na this kind of shit is totally confusing, it's honestly a mystery why they didn't remove the gloves when they launched HW, guess they were too busy, it's just pointless and annoying you have to make special sets and shit when doing these quests. /isearch is great for finding stuff especially after long breaks though, sometimes stuff is on a retainer or in your chocobo saddle or whatever but you can't find it cause you think the icon is different than what it is.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nice that's even better, thanks. Haven't gotten into over melding yet, but i'd much rather learn that and burn gil than grind another currency.

It's crazy, i've been playing this game on and off since ARR Beta (technically 1.0 Beta). Gotta be over 1,000 hours played over 3 different consoles and I am still a total noob.

Be aware, 5.3 will release with the next "new best" crafted crafter/gatherer gear that when overmelded should be the best in slot for this whole expansion (aside from maybe this new main hand relic tool). So you might not want to burn through the gil on materia on this set when next patch a better one is coming out.

Also yellow and white scrips are pretty easy to grind depending on your retainers/how much you gather.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Be aware, 5.3 will release with the next "new best" crafted crafter/gatherer gear that when overmelded should be the best in slot for this whole expansion (aside from maybe this new main hand relic tool). So you might not want to burn through the gil on materia on this set when next patch a better one is coming out.

Also yellow and white scrips are pretty easy to grind depending on your retainers/how much you gather.

Well in that case I may as well wait I guess.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Got the email about 8 free (consecutive) days if I come back... anyone know if this includes new content? I left during Heavensward, after finishing the story and hitting max level (I think).

I had a character on Gilgamesh, is anyone still active?

Daidraco

Ive noticed that most of us that are still playing dont do so on a daily, or even semi daily basis. We may log in once or twice a week. Ao- Ao- I dont see how you could go wrong doing the newest content. Some great stuff so far.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Their website to game and integration is slow. Ever buy anything from the mogstation? Sometimes it can take days for it to show up ingame.

Damn, some people's luck must be the worst. I've been buying stuff from the mogstation for years now and I can't think of a single instance where my purchase took longer than 10 mins to appear in game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Got the email about 8 free (consecutive) days if I come back... anyone know if this includes new content? I left during Heavensward, after finishing the story and hitting max level (I think).

Few of us on Gilg I think, not sure I'd say I'm active. Can't find it in me to play every day or anything been slowly working on the crafting/gathering relics after unlocking the combat ones (which are easy once you unlock, just 1k poetics to get each successive combat class relic). Just down to the fishing one but I might do some gathering in preparation for 5.3 to have mats for the new crafting/gathering sets.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

It simply reactivates your account, doesn't give you any new content you didn't own, and since it's not like wow where you get all the expansions besides the last but the opposite, where you only have the vanilla game but buying the last expansion gives you all expansions, you wouldn't have any new content, unless you stopped at the end of 3.0 HW story, then you have 3.1 to 3.55 stuff, but it'll stop at Stormsblood and you won't have SAM/RDM/GNB/DNC

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You don't need the email to benefit, they're just promotions to tell people who don't pay attention to generic news sites because they stopped playing. They run these like every other patch(so around every 6months or so, might be more often sometimes not sure), it's a nice way to catch up on the MSQ/new raids if you don't want to pay a sub, since you can generally be done in a few days.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, I just wouldn't know unless I read this thread randomly today. Built a new PC so interested to see how it runs

Fucker

Log Wizard
Pretty nice game so far. Is there a mog system like WoW? I got the L15 newbie gear and it looks pretty cool.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pretty nice game so far. Is there a mog system like WoW? I got the L15 newbie gear and it looks pretty cool.
It's not nearly as easy to use as wow, but yeah. It's called Glamours in the game, if you google it you'll find stuff explaining it, but basically there's 2 systems, the old system which simply lets you put the appearance of one item onto another, one by one, and the new system which uses the glamour dresser accessible in your private room in inns(at any major city) as well as in your barracks at your GC once unlocked. This lets you drop items in this special chest, and then you can use the appearances of said item to apply to any pieces while in town but only following a premade set you created at the same dresser(15 total sets can be saved atm iirc). It is however slot limited(I think it's 400 atm), isn't account wide and requires you put the physical item in there, you can't discard them.

Ultimately for a more casual approach to the system it works fine, but for crazy people it's limited compared to wow. On the flipside, there's a lot less garbage looking armor than wow to begin with, where 90-95% of the leveling gear is basically hot garbage low res textures shit. You also need glamour prisms to transfer skins/put items in your dresser, these can be bought on the market for cheap usually and you can buy them from your GC too at a certain rank and you can craft them yourself(low lvl craft).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Sounds good, thanks. I don't go crazy with looks. I find a set and stick with it. I think my WoW character has had the same look for eons.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sounds good, thanks. I don't go crazy with looks. I find a set and stick with it. I think my WoW character has had the same look for eons.
Yeah I just drop anything that looks nice in mine and it's slowly filling up but still fine, think I'm at like 250ish items. Mostly bodies. Some people go crazy with the jewelery though, I only have one of each and that's the one that hides the appearances, since I don't care for them, so that leaves a lot of slots for the rest, I don't get helms much either since I often just hide them as I like my character's face and most look dumb or don't matter enough(crowns and hairpins and such, can't bother). It's mostly chest pieces and boots that matters, with pants and gloves depending on the other pieces. So 400 slots for these pieces isn't so bad. And you can always just carry more in your armoury inventory or your retainers or wherever if you really want to.

Have to do this quest to get started, it gives a few prisms too. If you get a crafter to lvl 15(which only takes like 20mins and a bit of gold, you can buy all the materials from the guild vendor to get it to that), you can get the follow-up which lets you craft them yourself and unlock the vendor which sells the New Emperor pieces, which are basically invisible glamours to hide anything you don't like. You can also craft prisms but generally at this point it's not worth crafting them as the mats are annoying to get and are worth about as much as the prisms themselves, sometimes more.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Yeah, I just wouldn't know unless I read this thread randomly today. Built a new PC so interested to see how it runs

I'm curious what specs you ended up going with? (Or which prebuilt you bought.) I cant imagine that anything within the last 6-7 years will struggle with this game. My oldest PC has an Nvidia GTX 970 and runs this game with most settings set to on, fairly well. Then again, that PC was a monster when I built it.

On a side note : I couldnt remember which version GTX it was in that computer. I just remembered it was the 900 series. When I looked up the 970, damn if there arent some cards up there for like $500. Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a card that old? I must be missing something.

Fucker Fucker I'm similar to you in the regards that I rarely change up the look of my character at max level. But it'll just be a huge pain in ass to glam your character every level tier of armor and weapons you get. Like has been said, the gear looks.. overwhelmingly good in this game. I was in love with the plate set that you can craft in the armorsmiths... 30's or 40's(?) for the longest time. What I learned the hard way was to only glam my blues. I leveled up glamming a bunch of shit, kind of thinking it was like WoW - but you had to manually do it instead. Once I started running out of room, I realized that a lot of the greens I had glammed, I just didnt pay attention to how they were basically the same look. I went through every green, and only ended up really wanting to keep the look of less than a handful of pieces. Took the rest of those greens to the Free Company and sold them for seals which in turn finished all the requirements for me to level up the FC to max.

Neo-Ishgardian gear is craftable and within a stones throw of the highest item level drops in Savage raids. So keep that in mind.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm curious what specs you ended up going with? (Or which prebuilt you bought.) I cant imagine that anything within the last 6-7 years will struggle with this game. My oldest PC has an Nvidia GTX 970 and runs this game with most settings set to on, fairly well. Then again, that PC was a monster when I built it.

On a side note : I couldnt remember which version GTX it was in that computer. I just remembered it was the 900 series. When I looked up the 970, damn if there arent some cards up there for like $500. Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a card that old? I must be missing something.

Fucker Fucker I'm similar to you in the regards that I rarely change up the look of my character at max level. But it'll just be a huge pain in ass to glam your character every level tier of armor and weapons you get. Like has been said, the gear looks.. overwhelmingly good in this game. I was in love with the plate set that you can craft in the armorsmiths... 30's or 40's(?) for the longest time. What I learned the hard way was to only glam my blues. I leveled up glamming a bunch of shit, kind of thinking it was like WoW - but you had to manually do it instead. Once I started running out of room, I realized that a lot of the greens I had glammed, I just didnt pay attention to how they were basically the same look. I went through every green, and only ended up really wanting to keep the look of less than a handful of pieces. Took the rest of those greens to the Free Company and sold them for seals which in turn finished all the requirements for me to level up the FC to max.

Neo-Ishgardian gear is craftable and within a stones throw of the highest item level drops in Savage raids. So keep that in mind.
Posted in the desktop computer thread but I build one with

3900x
2070 super
16GB CL14 3600MHz RAM

I.also have a really nice.1440p 144hz Ips display

It.ran perfectly fine on my 6700k + 1070, but wasn't sure.how 1440p would feel.

I sold my 1070 on reddit for like 200. Theres a market for older cards for some reason

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Fun game still, but only L33. I only have one word for the ARR MSQ line: MALICE. Oh well, I am not far from being done with it.

It's weird playing an MMO and seeing lots of other people running around. Server I was on in WoW was totally dead. I'd do WQ's and even go entire days not seeing anyone else.