Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Is anyone else finding it hard to go back to these style of games where you have to stand still to cast spells? After TERA (which would rubber band you in place) and more recently GW2, (and Vanguard, a long time ago) where you could always move while casting it's just very strange to be locked in place.

Playing a THM in this and having to stand still for like 3 seconds with YOUR BUDDY the casting bar is very rough.
I would say I don't mind it that much if the game is responsive, but unless I was lagging horribly which I dont believe I was, It felt like there was a 1+ second delay between everything i did... I could start moving 1 second before the cast was over on everything and it wouldnt cancel it. It's even worst when you want to run out of red circles and youve been out for 2 seconds yet it still hits you. That's what I disliked the most in beta :\ 2.5 GCD is also too long like some people have mentionned, Bring it down to 1.5 I say.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not to mention that was Arcanist and Summoner data not Scholar.
Right, but if Arcanist doesn't have a few heals in its spell list then it seems very unlikely that Scholar will actually be able to compete with WHM like they promised.

Either way, the posted list is ancient and hopefully a hell of a lot has changed since then.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Right, but if Arcanist doesn't have a few heals in its spell list then it seems very unlikely that Scholar will actually be able to compete with WHM like they promised.

Either way, the posted list is ancient and hopefully a hell of a lot has changed since then.
I doubt Arcanist itself gets that much in the way of heals. I think the only main addition you're going to see to Arcanist early on is a powerful HoT in Regen. My guess is that they'll make Regen work in the following way so it can be used in instances (without forcing bads to pickup cure):

Regen: 2.5s cast time. Heals target for 80 potency every 3s over 18s. Secondary Effect (via an early Arcanist Trait): Casting Regen on a target that already has regen will instantly heal 50% of what was remaining on the buff.

Meaning that your average derp arcanist could heal the easy part of the game by literally spamming regen on the tank nonstop. It'd be weaker and less mana efficient than cure spam, but enough to get the job done in the short term.
Also, Regen being cross class is going to be awesome should they go that route. It'll turn CNJ DPS uptime in early instances from 75% to 95%. Just throw on a regen at the start of the pull and dps away. Same thing should apply to the Arcanist really.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Well that's not that necessary, based on the early arcanist info. As you can see in the summoner skill, what happens when you become a summoner and unlike every other job is it converts your 2 carbuncle spells into 2 summoner pets. As such it's safe to assume that Scholar will get the 2 fairies(I wanna say one that heals and one that tanks/DPS for soloing). On top of that as soon as you hit 30 you also get your first scholar spell. Also note that because Scholar requires 15 CNJ, it's also a given you can cross class at least up to 15. With all these, you wouldn't need much for Scholar to be a viable healer right at 30. Your fairy should probably be able to heal and possibly to Esuna, your first spell is say an aoe heal, you have Cure to help your fairy healing and Raise to well Raise people as well as Protect for mitigation. That's the basics for healing, plus whatever debuff Arcanist gets to reduce dmg. The thing is, unlike WHM which gets an aoe nuke and a bunch of long cd abilities, it wouldn't be too hard for Scholar to simply get 5 healing abilities+fairy+CNJ cross class and have enough to do the same as a WHM.

The biggest issue here is you probably can't queue as a healer until 30, so that's annoying. But I don't think it's necessary for Arcanist to have any healing related spells for Scholar to be a viable healer, because of the way the pets are given for "free" and can probably have multiple spells themselves, which gives the scholar more spells compared to a WHM, and the fact the scholar can cross class all the CNJ stuff while the WHM won't be able to cross class Scholar stuff, only Arcanist.

Maybe they'll just rework Arcanist entirely to be a healer from the start though, I explained a few weeks ago a decent way to do it with a Stance similar to Cleric's Stance that would change your spells from damage to heals.

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is a repost of a repost via Reddit and Bluegarter, but should be of interest to everyone here as well:

Dear X,
Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.
We are sorry to hear of any confusion caused by your store order for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector?s Edition.
The early access codes and registration keys have not yet been sent. They will be delivered via e-mail before the early access date of 20th August 2013.
If you have not received your codes closer to this date, do not hesitate to get back in touch and we can investigate further for you.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards, The Square Enix Support Centre team

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I would say I don't mind it that much if the game is responsive, but unless I was lagging horribly which I dont believe I was, It felt like there was a 1+ second delay between everything i did... I could start moving 1 second before the cast was over on everything and it wouldnt cancel it. It's even worst when you want to run out of red circles and youve been out for 2 seconds yet it still hits you. That's what I disliked the most in beta :\ 2.5 GCD is also too long like some people have mentionned, Bring it down to 1.5 I say.
I think I read a post a few pages back that the devs have confirmed this as a bug. There is some sort of delay involved with casts. Where if you do not exit out of the red circles immediately, they will still hit. A red circle for a mob means they are casting a spell, much like your own spells, it may have a 2-3 second cast time, but the spell activates to hit after around 60-70% of the cast. This is what enables you to be hit while not being in the circle, and cast spells even though they should be interrupted.

Vorph

Maybe they'll just rework Arcanist entirely to be a healer from the start though
This is what I am hoping for, a healer with debuffs. Looking at that old spell list from a dps perspective, it's utter shit compared to a THM from 1-30.

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
No real mining of pet skills yet and I'm guessing the bulk of the jobs functionality comes from that, because them skills is turrible.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Update on Phase 4:
For those who have registered a beta code by Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 9:59p.m. (PDT), you will automatically be accepted to participate in Beta Test phase 4 (final Beta Test). If you have not yet registered a beta code, please make sure to complete the registration process before the above date.

For those of you who have not yet applied for the Beta Test, please submit your application by Monday, July 22, 2013 (PDT).

Application Period:
Until Monday, July 22, 2013 (PDT)
* On the above date and time, the Beta Tester Application Site will be temporarily closed and will reopen when Beta Test phase 4(final Beta Test) begins.

Registration Period:
Until Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 9:59 p.m. (PDT)
* If your beta code has not been registered by the above date and time, you will need to resubmit your application at the Beta Tester Application Site once Beta Test phase 4 begins.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit for a supposedly open beta. I have a couple friends I might be able to convince to just download a client and try it out (and let's be real, OBs are free trials with some stress testing). Go through all that shit which includes fucking around with their terrible account management system to be able to play at an unknown week sometime in the next month? Yea, not happening.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit for a supposedly open beta. I have a couple friends I might be able to convince to just download a client and try it out (and let's be real, OBs are free trials with some stress testing). Go through all that shit which includes fucking around with their terrible account management system to be able to play at an unknown week sometime in the next month? Yea, not happening.
It doesn't say you have to register before the date to participate, it simply says to do so before the date if you want to use older codes. After that it'll probably use a different system, and the servers are gonna be laggy/down as fuck due to people spamming so you'd better do it earlier. Regardless there's no open beta without registration, in any mmo ever. Even if the registration is a simple process without an email confirmation check, which happens rarely, you still have to create an account to log on the servers.

tower

Yeah I probably misinterpreted this statement given what's directly below it.

For those of you who have not yet applied for the Beta Test, please submit your application by Monday, July 22, 2013 (PDT).

Application Period:
Until Monday, July 22, 2013 (PDT)
* On the above date and time, the Beta Tester Application Site will be temporarily closed andwill reopen when Beta Test phase 4(final Beta Test) begins.
They still need to make their account system suck less. Most MMOs it takes max 5 minutes to set up an account and get a download started.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So do you need to re-register if you were in Beta 3 for Beta 4?
The first line of the message actually answers that, it says you won't have to register again.

On their registration system yeah I don't know how hard it is as I had an old account I think, but I believe they made a simpler system on a new page? It's mostly shitty because they don't link you the client so you have to figure out how to log on the beta board, then find it there.

Roxette_sl

shitlord
...They still need to make their account system suck less. Most MMOs it takes max 5 minutes to set up an account and get a download started.
I agree, SE's account management system needs a ton of help. But in reality, once you are done with the account management you will spend less than .001% of your gaming time dealing with their management system.

Vorph

Maybe I bypassed the horrors of the account system by registering my beta code on my PS3, but I haven't had any issues with it at all so far.

tower

I guess it didn't actually take that long but it was certainly unituitive to navigate and brought back repressed memories of PlayOnline.