Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a question about the starting quests. I have this Friday off and it sounds like I should be able to play Friday afternoon (since it starts based on Japan time). The people I'll be playing with will be at work.

So the quests from 1-15, are they groupable?

If so, if I do the 1-15 quest while they're at work, will I be able to change classes and run them again with my friends? Or do I basically just need to wait for them to play?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Quests are a one time deal, so if you do them with one class you can not simply switch to another and do them over.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the other half of my question, are the entry level 1-15 quests even groupable? If they aren't, it doesn't make sense for me to wait.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I won't be rolling with ya'll dudes, but I think Gilgamesh would be a bad choice if it's really as packed as people are saying. Literally every single person I've talked to is rolling there for some reason.
FWIW i agree with this. should pick the 2nd or 3rd most populated server or something. Gilg is asking for trouble...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So the other half of my question, are the entry level 1-15 quests even groupable? If they aren't, it doesn't make sense for me to wait.
A few of the early quests have to be soloed, basically story instances and class instances. Most of them take like 3-5mins though and I personally like them but you could in theory skip them until you have some free time solo, iirc there's like 3 or 4 story instances and like 1class instance at 15.

Rest is groupable, with one caveat, you don't start in the same city depending on your class, and moving between cities isn't necessarily easy/fast. You get access to Airships for instant travels at around lvl 15, but before that you need to hoof it, which isn't a big issue between Grindannia and Uldah, however it might be an issue depending on the price they setup the ferry at between Limsa Lominsa and the rest. Since it's class based, it means Marauder and Arcanist from Limsa might have trouble grouping with other people before lvl 15ish, unless they set the ferry to a reasonably low price then the'll be able to travel just fine too. All the other classes can travel to each other's cities in a 10mins chocobo run or so.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Community has spoken, we'll be going with Gilgamesh. I voted for it myself and I truly believe a) Queues won't be a problem and b) It will be the best for activity.

Now someone quote this for a few weeks to show how wrong I am
biggrin.png
I'll back you on this. I agree with both A and B.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Timing on p4 sucks, it's my wife's birthday this weekend so I will be at the lake house Friday and Saturday. For the best bang for my buck should I be pushing my primary class Sunday to try and hit 20 or should I take it to 15 and start my sub classes? I'm thinking I want to push the subs so I won't have to deal with head start masses ( or as little as possible?) am I right with this line of thought?

Aela_sl

shitlord
A few of the early quests have to be soloed, basically story instances and class instances. Most of them take like 3-5mins though and I personally like them but you could in theory skip them until you have some free time solo, iirc there's like 3 or 4 story instances and like 1class instance at 15.

Rest is groupable, with one caveat, you don't start in the same city depending on your class, and moving between cities isn't necessarily easy/fast. You get access to Airships for instant travels at around lvl 15, but before that you need to hoof it, which isn't a big issue between Grindannia and Uldah, however it might be an issue depending on the price they setup the ferry at between Limsa Lominsa and the rest. Since it's class based, it means Marauder and Arcanist from Limsa might have trouble grouping with other people before lvl 15ish, unless they set the ferry to a reasonably low price then the'll be able to travel just fine too. All the other classes can travel to each other's cities in a 10mins chocobo run or so.
To expand on this, it sounds like there was some talk about making the solo instances allow for "friends", I haven't heard much about it since then..but I guess there is a chance we'll end up surprised and with that added perk (good? bad? I don't know...) I know Ryahl and I basically leveled up together, we did all our quests at the same time. So i know other then the instanced class quests types of things, most everything else can be done in a group.

Really the only question about waiting is based on if you guys are starting in the same city. My recommendation is. Pick a class you are interested in playing, in a DIFFERENT city then your buddies. Get to 15th. When they log in for the night, change classes to something from their city, and.. then you can play with them everything but the main story line. Since you were doing the general quests in a different city, you will have those quests open to play with them. If you want to play though the main story with them from the same city, that is trickier..but do-able i guess. Roll in their city, leave the city ASAP without doing any of the quests there. When you get to your new city, do the quests THERE and push upto level 15. You can use the crystal network to get back to your trainer for training, class specific quests, etc. Once you hit 15 you can change classes to something else...and when you buddies log in, you can change to the class you plan on playing with them.

For example, your friend is going to be a Conj..and you a lancer. You roll Conj in Grid then leave immediately and goto UlDah. Do all the Uldah quests (returning to Grid to train/class quest). If you can get to 15th before your friend logs in, you can change over to Lancer, and then meetup with them and be fresh and clean (so to speak), with all your quests open (including main story line).

However, since the main story line was mostly solo in B3, i doubt this is worth the effort.

Aela_sl

shitlord
Timing on p4 sucks, it's my wife's birthday this weekend so I will be at the lake house Friday and Saturday. For the best bang for my buck should I be pushing my primary class Sunday to try and hit 20 or should I take it to 15 and start my sub classes? I'm thinking I want to push the subs so I won't have to deal with head start masses ( or as little as possible?) am I right with this line of thought?
First thing you should do is open your Guildleves, they accumulate over time, and getting them open ASAP is a MUST! (Don't use any until the level cap drops in Headstart/release). If you can get online for a short time on Friday, i would recommend doing that before you leave town. (As a wife, I am kicking myself for suggesting this...)

Also, realize once you hit 15 you can level in dungeons, which removes you from the "omg too many people", so I would say..yeah move to a subclass.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Double edged sword really - roll on Gilgamesh (my choice certainly), and you run the risk of queues, more terribads than normal (debateable), and lag etc - but WHEN the population faces the first of its sharp declines, we'll be in better shape than those on the smaller servers. Roll on a low pop server you will almost certainly not have to deal with queues or lag (debateable), but the instant (I'll say 4.5 weeks) interest begins to wane those servers (every one of them) will be ghost towns. The only way that won't be true, is if this game is WOW 2.0. Its not, and those servers will be dead in a month.

Good choice going with Gilgamesh - in fact, its the only choice if you have any interest in playing longer than 4 weeks.

going to read thread later but i plan on trying this. i wish there was pvp but it looks like a no. anyways i was thinking ill go archer > bard or arcanist > summoner for my first toon. kinda excited for a new mmo, i love starting fresh.

Aela_sl

shitlord
How do you open up the Guildleves?
oh..man.. uhhh.......

Guildleves open as part of the main story line. I THINK it's the level 10 class quest..? it says "Hey go talk to them, they are now unlocked". But, i'm honestly not sure. It's been quite a few weeks. I checked our site, I don't see it referenced anywhere there.

Aela_sl

shitlord
going to read thread later but i plan on trying this. i wish there was pvp but it looks like a no. anyways i was thinking ill go archer > bard or arcanist > summoner for my first toon. kinda excited for a new mmo, i love starting fresh.
There will be PVP. This is what we have about PVP in our write up onGame SystemsThey have said the first views of PVP will be open as part of Beta4.

Finally, A Realm Reborn is going to include Player vs. Player (PVP) combat. We have very few details on this just yet, but it appears that at least two types of PVP will be available. Arena based, e-sport type, PVP will be available in the PVP Coliseum. This is likely to be 4v4 or 8v8 party combat with objective and victory conditions in timed matches. We should see the arena oriented PVP very soon, possibly before early access.

The second system is the PVP Frontier system which appears to be a Realm vs. Realm type system pitting the three Grand Companies against each other in a battle for control of a large PVP warzone. While Final Fantasy has not traditionally included many PVP elements, I know a number of fans are eagerly waiting for information on these systems. We haven't heard more than a few mentions of the Frontier, though, it is possible that this will be a post-launch initiative. Given the scope of the game prior to Frontiers, though, there's already going to be plenty of things to keep players occupied.

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
Timing on p4 sucks, it's my wife's birthday this weekend so I will be at the lake house Friday and Saturday. For the best bang for my buck should I be pushing my primary class Sunday to try and hit 20
I didn't even think we could play on Sunday. Thursday (for p3 players) / Friday - Saturday+5 hrs EDT in the US.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, if it's on JPN time again, like all of Phase 3, the beta will end at 5AM EDT Monday morning.

Guildleves are unlocked at level 10 by doing the first levequest.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Where are people getting the 16th for p3 players? Is it on the official forums?

\/edit: Thanks, I really need to pay better attention

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From the live letter.

Q1: When is Open Beta and Early Access?

A1: Beta Test phase 4 will run from August 17-19. Those who participated in the Beta Test phase 3 will be able to participate from August 16th. Early access will run from August 24th until the 26th with official service begins on August 27th, but the servers won't go down after Early Access, so you'll be able to play non-stop from August 24th.