Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
There was just a commercial for this game - going into halftime of the NBA All - Star game before the dunk contest. Seems odd.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean they had Hannibal Buress and Tom Holland in commercials for Shadowbringers; they just want that visibility to keep playing catch up with WoW's expac numbers, even though I wager WoW's numbers take quite a bit sharper dive than FFXIV's do post patch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It is a bit weird timing considering the expansion's several months away, feels like they'd have been better served doing the ad campaign then, unless they're planning to do another.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean they had Hannibal Buress and Tom Holland in commercials for Shadowbringers; they just want that visibility to keep playing catch up with WoW's expac numbers, even though I wager WoW's numbers take quite a bit sharper dive than FFXIV's do post patch.
Shadow Bringers had my attention a LOT longer than WoW did with Shadow Lands. Last a data set became available for SL, it was almost a 50% drop off after the second month. SL's is a good base, but damn did they drop the ball content wise.

Theyre always trying to attract new customers, of course. There are a lot of people that have never even given FFXIV a shot simply based on it being perceived as "just another asian mmo, probably a grind." Or, look at just how in your face RAID Shadow Legends is and all I see is just another gacha.

Merrith

Shadow Bringers had my attention a LOT longer than WoW did with Shadow Lands. Last a data set became available for SL, it was almost a 50% drop off after the second month. SL's is a good base, but damn did they drop the ball content wise.

Theyre always trying to attract new customers, of course. There are a lot of people that have never even given FFXIV a shot simply based on it being perceived as "just another asian mmo, probably a grind." Or, look at just how in your face RAID Shadow Legends is and all I see is just another gacha.

I have seen a ton of streamers doing FF XIV content lately because of how much buzz Shadowbringers' story brought, lot of people playing through MSQ to catch up. It's interesting to see them do HW and be like "this is amazing!!!" then get to ShB and be even blown away further.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I’ve been pretty into this game for four years but winding down to take a long break for the first time since picking the game up and in retrospect I’m really disappointed with this expansion from an endgame raider pov (ultimates, savage, deep dungeons, crafting).

I started in late HW and didn’t know what I was doing, so no comment there.

SB had:

PotD reworked to be soloable
HoH added
3 savage tiers, mostly fun (I didn’t enjoy the last as much and played all of them enough to get decent logs)
2 ultimates, both fun
Eureka, questionable but four maps with a cool dungeon at the end
Interesting crafting

SHB has:

No deep dungeon
3 savage tiers, mostly fun (tidying up my logs on the last tier before we disband in April and I’m done until 6.0)
1 ultimate, fun
Bozja, somehow worse and less interesting than Eureka - 1 map, 2 dungeons
Crafting reworked to be braindead, then expert crafting added but it’s still braindead and the most important criteria to achieving crafting goals is time you spend crafting within a 10 day window

SHB started super strong - I loved the 5.0 story and the first tier / ultimate / tier was great. But after that it’s like... what happened? Story bad since 5.0 finished, shiva tier lasted 9 months, this tier is ok but no new ultimate so it will be like 10 months until we get a new tier, no deep dungeon, Bozja not fun. Did coronavirus just destroy them this time around?

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
I’ve been pretty into this game for four years but winding down to take a long break for the first time since picking the game up and in retrospect I’m really disappointed with this expansion from an endgame raider pov (ultimates, savage, deep dungeons, crafting).

I started in late HW and didn’t know what I was doing, so no comment there.

SB had:

PotD reworked to be soloable
HoH added
3 savage tiers, mostly fun (I didn’t enjoy the last as much and played all of them enough to get decent logs)
2 ultimates, both fun
Eureka, questionable but four maps with a cool dungeon at the end
Interesting crafting

SHB has:

No deep dungeon
3 savage tiers, mostly fun (tidying up my logs on the last tier before we disband in April and I’m done until 6.0)
1 ultimate, fun
Bozja, somehow worse and less interesting than Eureka - 1 map, 2 dungeons
Crafting reworked to be braindead, then expert crafting added but it’s still braindead and the most important criteria to achieving crafting goals is time you spend crafting within a 10 day window

SHB started super strong - I loved the 5.0 story and the first tier / ultimate / tier was great. But after that it’s like... what happened? Story bad since 5.0 finished, shiva tier lasted 9 months, this tier is ok but no new ultimate so it will be like 10 months until we get a new tier, no deep dungeon, Bozja not fun. Did coronavirus just destroy them this time around?

I was in a similar position but I strongly recommend doing DR savage. Put about 9 hours in it so far with a static and on the hot/cold boss. It is so much better than BA. It was off my radar until a friend dragged me in.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean you do mention it, the corona virus limitations just moved the entire dev cycle out of the window, and they had no leeway for any of it(which is a management problem for sure but it is what it is).

Bozja not being fun is fairly subjective, some people like what they did, especially savage DR. I think it's mostly shit too for me but it feels like a better effort than Eureka, they did CLL and DR and they're doing one more zone, so overall it's more adequate content than four different flavour of FATEs like the Eureka zones were minus BA. They did double it as the deep dungeon replacement and that does kinda suck. As for the ultimate, it was pushed out of the expansion by corona too, they got slowed down a fuckton and they cut the one thing that probably has the least impact on their subs. Sucks for hardcore raiders and suck for people like me who enjoy the race, but that was obviously the content that was gonna be axed.

Crafting is super subjective too, crafting wasn't interesting, or fun before. Like what? Yeah it's simpler now to get into, but it was the exact same shit once you did the very small effort of reading up a Balance guide on how to craft, it just was less intuitive. You headed to Teamcraft, put all your stat, moved the little icons around to get the highest quality, then copy pasted macros and just sat there spamming them. There's literally no difference between current crafting and Stormblood(or HW) crafting, just a lot easier to level with Ishgard. Expert recipes you call braindead but they're the least braindead thing they've added to crafting since like, ever. Cause you can't sim it then use a macro to do it(at least not efficiently).

Cybsled

Taking breaks is fine. I plan to come back for that Moogle Tome event, though, since you can buy the FF6 Magitek mount (predator) as one of the reward options for 50 tomes. Fuck trying to get that to drop from the dungeon.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I'm going to disagree on the expert recipes. I think they're just as braindead as other stuff...just a priority system basically and back to using Hasty Touch and Tricks of the Trade like it's ARR or HW. But I agree that crafting in general is not really any different than it was at the end of Stormblood, at least as far as an "end game" type thing goes. They did dumb crafting down some but in the end if you're macroing it really doesn't matter.

I actually thought the MSQ was pretty good still through 5.3, I still think the ending to 5.0 was bigger for me than 5.3's, although many disagree. 5.4 is fine, just setup for what is coming and still have to see where all that goes.

Don't mind the lack of deep dungeon, although I used it mainly as an exp catch up for to 60 in potd, and to 70 for HoH. 70-80 is easy enough with pixie dailies and Trust runs...but I could see how people want to do that sort of content for the rewards of completing high levels.

Cybsled

You’re always going to run into content issues, because people want different stuff (hard core/xp grinders/casual). I do get the impression that COVID fucked their schedule and stuff got pushed

Eureka and Bozja bored me to tears, but I do understand people like that sort of shit.

• 1Like

Malakriss

I enjoyed getting Ozma out of Eureka, but the main zones were rather tedious until the echo buff came into play and then suddenly all the pain in the ass stuff became available and you actually saw people wanting to spawn ceto and cassie regularly. Doing relics for glamour was 10x more enjoyable during SHB than SB and they need to figure out how to do that enjoyment factor again. Running alliance raids and HW fates is not it.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think current relic is fine, you can do the new content(for most steps) or you can do old ass grindy content like you're farming light/atmas on every steps, which imo is fine for what the relic is.

They do need better balance between the options however(they did hotfix some of the stuff in that regard) but the first couple of steps can be done in Bozja with farming parties faster than it can be farming FATEs+60dungeons outside but if you don't want to bother actually working for it having a braindead easy option is nice enough.

The crystal tower step can be done in CLL very quickly, just need to camp the spawns, took me an afternoon to do my 2nd relic this way, but I was mostly afk alt tabbed and only checked every now and then for new instances then afked until the spawn timer, so it was a lot more relaxing than running Syrcus 15times.

The one time only step was pretty rough but was hotfixed to be more decent and the last step I think is perfectly fine since it gets you to run new content(DR) or to run old content with an emphasis on running it in a way most people haven't(doing 100+ potd, which a lot of people didn't even know existed since it stops at 100 in random groups).

Overall I'd say it's the "best" relic they've done, in the sense that it doesn't fucking suck dicks to do. It's a lot faster than previous relics, and it gives you 2 different options for each step depending on whether you want to work actively on it or just grind it out while not paying any attention, and that's great imo. It is probably the most "boring", but I'll take boring over ARR atma(original rates)/books or Anima sands(before the buffs) and definitely over Pagos light farming(even after the nerfs and even after the current echo).

I'm going to disagree on the expert recipes. I think they're just as braindead as other stuff...just a priority system basically and back to using Hasty Touch and Tricks of the Trade like it's ARR or HW.
I'm not saying they're riveting challenging content, but they're the least braindead type of crafting content they've added, because you can't macro them so you have to actually play the crafting minigame, and it is a bit deeper than the original ARR minigame too since there's more different proc types. It is a priority system obviously so once you figure it out you just go through the steps, but when the comparison is pressing your first macro then waiting for the sound effect to press the other macro, it's not really hard to do less braindead. Still pretty dumb yeah but it's not like crafting was challenging content in the past as you mention too.

Even back in ARR when macros weren't as much of a thing, crafting was still super braindead. The main "difficulty" back then was being able to afford melding because materias were such a pain in the dick to get. I've crafted a fair bit in every expansion(less so in HW cause I got really turned off by the initial implementation of crafting/gathering, which they've completely removed right after, fucking favors and weekly capped scrips man) and at no point was crafting hard or challenging, the "dumbing down" was just removing a lot of superfluous shit that didn't really add anything and making it less weird with so many skills you actually never want to use.

The main "difficulties" in the past for crafting was you had to do leves so it cost a bunch of money, and you had to level every craft to a certain point just to be able to craft properly due to cross class(good luck trying to HQ fucking anything without Byregot) and so people were put off by the whole thing, but they fixed both things so it's more accessible, but these were artificial difficulties, it wasn't fucking Dark Souls when you crafted a piece of Rakshasa or Ironworks or whatever, it was exactly the same shit as it is now, you just needed more time and funds to get to that point.

I think expert recipes go the right way, in making manual crafting a thing again. Not an overly complex thing, but it's fun to actually engage with the crafting mechanics rather than just play Teamcraft for a bit then never touch it again until they update the requirements. I hope they re-use those systems next expansion to make more complex and more engaging expert recipes. I also hope they don't do the Ishgard ranking shit again though, cause that part sucked. And I say that as someone who did get the Saint title, it felt like old school mmo shit where you have to login everyday and drop 8+hours into the game to make meaningful progress, but I could do without that tbh.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Another Ultimate is in the works btw, just Covid pushed a bunch of stuff around... It's either Nidhogg or Thordan we have 0 clue "who" the next ultimate is.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Another Ultimate is in the works btw, just Covid pushed a bunch of stuff around... It's either Nidhogg or Thordan we have 0 clue "who" the next ultimate is.
Well it'll be both most likely, since every ultimate combines several bosses and this one is themed after the Dragonsong War, so it'd be surprising if there weren't both Thordan and Nidhogg in it as they're both part of the dragonsong war.

The issue is since it was pushed back, it was also pushed back all the way to 6.1(since they don't release ultimates during a new tier patch), so that's pretty fucking far for new content for the hardcore raiders, and it also means it's likely the next expansion will only have "one" ultimate, on top of the delayed one, so it's still a loss in the end.

Merrith

Pyros Pyros obviously the manual crafting part of it might make it slightly more in depth than macros, but when it's the priority system coupled with RNG (sometimes you just don't get the right type of procs or enough procs in general to max out a craft)...it's very unsatisfying. Also while you do need very good melds to ever be able to max out an expert craft, it's still based on that RNG. Peronsally I'd be fine with everything being macroable eventually, but it takes a lot of work to get your gear/melds to the point where you can do the top end stuff.

Either that or make the expert crafting not so reliant on the old stuff like Hasty or Tricks that reminds me of very low level crafting. But that would probably require them to go all in on high cp rotations again, whereas of late they've gotten away from the optimal setups requiring the absolute max cp possible.

Cybsled

Ya, the RNG to the procs never feels good, especially if you're making something with difficult to obtain materials. But if they made it too predictable, it would be easily solved with macros. Short of some reflex mini game like it's the Golden Saucer, not sure how they could get around that.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
No deep dungeon and no Hildebrand are the big turn offs for me atm. You can still level everything to 80 easy enough, just do your dailies. If you are up to date on crafting then gear is trivial too.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They could add a new skill specifically for these(new 90 skill), that's like a one time per craft(or maybe more than one, but limited), no CP no durability ability that will reroll your current proc to another, or if you don't have a proc force one. This way you can affect the RNG. Maybe another skill to "delay" a proc too, like you get a nice CP cost reduction proc, but you just refreshed manip and don't have good CP spending ability, use skill, hold the proc for up to x turns. This way you can hold it and then use it on a 2nd manip or something like that.

Basically still RNG based, but with tools to play around the RNG. Honestly wouldn't be that bad to go this way for 6.0, there's enough base skills already for standard crafting so don't really need new ones, but if they make expert recipes a thing that's more common, having skills specifically for it sounds kinda nice.

That said I don't think expert recipes are great or fun or whatever, just that they're certainly a "new" thing for crafting that didn't really exist before and are more involved that basically all the crafting that came before. Crafting otherwise has been the same shit for a long time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

This would be fun af.

i327mi0otrm61.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users