Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
If anyone has decided not to pick up the main game, I would really appreciate if you could send your Gil to me (Katya Kazanova) via the moogle system to help me create the Rerolled guild, as it costs 15,000 gil.

If enough people donate enough money I won't have to ask for the 200gil donation from everyone I was going to. Thank you!
smile.png

Edit: Because everyone's asking, no, I don't give me money now. If donations are necessary, they won't be until the guild is made in live.
Should be no problem. I've been very limited on time to work starting our new year this month but once I get rolling, I'll send money your way when we get into live. Loving this game as it's the MMO I wanted 5-6 years ago. It's everything that EQ2, WoW, and Rift wasn't for me. Not downing those games but something just about this game as a total package fits my interests. Just wish I had more time.

spronk

FPS noob
Its funny reading things like the somethingawful forums, where Square apologists constantly say ITS BETA THIS STUFF IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN or WOW AND DAOC HAD SHITTY LAUNCHES TOO ALL MMOS ARE LIKE THIS! Fuck no, I can't think of a single bad MMO launch in the past 6 years - swtor, Rift, TERA, GW2, etc all worked great during their open betas and launches (yes swtor choked signups hard for the first 12 hours and made way too many servers but they all worked well). This is also not a random stress test period either, this is supposed to be "look how good our game is!" open invite, and its gotta be turning off most people that they can't play with friends.

Square is just completely out of its depth here, and almost certainly live is going to be pretty bad too as far as servers go. Their forums are constantly down, and a quick 15 seconds tells you why: its running a badly configured vBulletin 4, all static content is being served off dynamic apache servers (very server intensive for NO reason), and there are no absolutely no CDN servers (massively fast static content cache servers) at all. I'm sure their FF14 backend servers are just as poorly architected. While we don't really know why, I'd guess their japanese dev team is pretty far out of touch with the modern day infrastructures that NA/Eu/Korean/etc dev teams work with. So yeah, there is a nice nostalgia upside to a team that is stuck in ideas from 10 years ago, but the downside is fantastically bad server design.

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
Its funny reading things like the somethingawful forums, where Square apologists constantly say ITS BETA THIS STUFF IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN or WOW AND DAOC HAD SHITTY LAUNCHES TOO ALL MMOS ARE LIKE THIS! Fuck no, I can't think of a single bad MMO launch in the past 6 years - swtor, Rift, TERA, GW2, etc all worked great during their open betas and launches (yes swtor choked signups hard for the first 12 hours and made way too many servers but they all worked well). This is also not a random stress test period either, this is supposed to be "look how good our game is!" open invite, and its gotta be turning off most people that they can't play with friends.

Square is just completely out of its depth here, and almost certainly live is going to be pretty bad too as far as servers go. Their forums are constantly down, and a quick 15 seconds tells you why: its running a badly configured vBulletin 4, all static content is being served off dynamic apache servers (very server intensive for NO reason), and there are no absolutely no CDN servers (massively fast static content cache servers) at all. I'm sure their FF14 backend servers are just as poorly architected. While we don't really know why, I'd guess their japanese dev team is pretty far out of touch with the modern day infrastructures that NA/Eu/Korean/etc dev teams work with. So yeah, there is a nice nostalgia upside to a team that is stuck in ideas from 10 years ago, but the downside is fantastically bad server design.
Can I have your stuff?

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think their problem is they didn't plan for it to be this popular at all. Where as what this turned out to be is a bit of eq and a bit of wow in a FF setting. Which surprise alot of people enjoy.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
As much as I loved Riff initially, I couldn't play for 2-3 days haha because of all the pre-launch server claims. And we ( most of the main PvP guilds) worked diligently at trying to divide up and making things smooth. I just said today this open beta and what I feel will be their launch situation is very similar to what I remember Rift being.

That being said, I don't excuse them of this as I feel it's pretty incompetent this day and age but who's to know what they have to work with. In my experience our team was only aloud so much and the guys in charge always says they'll give us more if we need it. I hear FF is opening two servers and working a lot. I think they just underestimated the fact that every MMO player is looking for anything worth playing.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I know it's a good game when I'm getting withdrawals at 10am wanting to play - that hasn't happened in a long time.

I think they underestimated the amount of people who were going to try out the game, by late Saturday night there was a fuck ton of people playing. Every server but the 2 new ones were full/character creation shut off.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I know it's a good game when I'm getting withdrawals at 10am wanting to play - that hasn't happened in a long time.

I think they underestimated the amount of people who were going to try out the game, by late Saturday night there was a fuck ton of people playing. Every server but the 2 new ones were full/character creation shut off.
I really want to know what the census numbers are for total concurrent connections, unique accounts, etc.

That said, I'm glad this is showing up now instead of Early Access. ;p

Tol_sl

shitlord
I think gw2 was a bit more fun to play as well. FF14 is very drab and too slow for my liking and I played it quite a bit but in the end just went ahead and uninstalled. Sadly panda lands are more enjoyable for the time being. Maybe wildstar will be fun when it releases.
I think I prefer the slower pace. For some reason GW2 just didn't click with me at all, and I feel like I went 30-something levels just never stopping at all and running event to event. I feel like the zones in this have far more character to them, and I find myself stopping and looking around a lot. I guess I'll have to see if the gameplay holds up past the free month.

I'm stuck at work for a few days, and actually find myself jonesing to log in right now. That hasn't happened to me in an MMO since vanilla wow, so I'm taking that as a good sign that it has a certain something I've been missing in MMOs the last decade. What exactly it is, I can't put my finger on.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Fuck they still haven't fixed 3102 looks like I'm done for the weekend with no rested xp.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
My world is full (Excalibur) and there is no queue. Which one of you slackjaws is taking up my space
I think that's the issue here. For whatever reason, characters are not being logged out of the servers. Anyone that logs out can't log back in (Error 3102). If you zone into an instance you get Error 90000 and then Error 3102 trying to log back in.

The servers right now are full of characters in limbo. They could probably fix it temporarily by rebooting all the servers but it would just happen again if they don't fix the cause first.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My favorite way to pass the time is checking haters usernames against the rerolled sheet to see if they didn't bother to signup or picked Arcanist.

It's like rottentomatoes for video games.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man I guess I am just weird. I enjoy pretty much any style of gameplay it seems as long as its not horribly broken or over tedious(First iteration of this game was just BAD). I'm having fun with the slower combat, but I'm also having fun in Wildstar which is a lot faster :p