Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I see a lot of posts on other websites saying FFXIV is the closest game out right now that has an old school feel. Can anyone confirm? I’m bored of EQ and WoW right now.
DDO is as old school as it gets. 15 years and still rolling. FFXIV is absolutely a great game, but it's best and worst aspect are that it is a FF game. The classes are distinct, and the AF gear is pretty as hell, but unless you are asian you are going to feel the grind. New class? Grind that xp. New gear? Grind that shit with one item per week limits. Tradeskills? Grind that farm.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tradeskill leveling is the easiest it has ever been with multiple upgrades this xpac, and can go even faster with help from existing players. The big mechanic (and limiter) is that everything is unlocked by progressing the main story. They cut some of the fat out of the 1-50 base game in the last year. Classes unlocked by expansions don't start at level 1 but begin at a reasonable mid level.

Like all games you get even more mileage if you have a dedicated group for trials and raids. Or even just a group if you enjoy running dungeons, POTD/HoH, and eureka/bozja

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's incredibly easy to level crafters currently. Now, doing the expert crafts reliably? Different animal, but it's incredibly simple to level crafters. You have beast quests starting basically from the get go and they can bump a class 2-3 levels a day without doing anything else. Actually -do- crafter stuff? You can easily have all max crafters with minimal effort in a couple of weeks.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
DDO is as old school as it gets. 15 years and still rolling. FFXIV is absolutely a great game, but it's best and worst aspect are that it is a FF game. The classes are distinct, and the AF gear is pretty as hell, but unless you are asian you are going to feel the grind. New class? Grind that xp. New gear? Grind that shit with one item per week limits. Tradeskills? Grind that farm.

The grind is way less, and they are lowering it even more with Endwalker(Part of the stat squash will be lower EXP requirements per/level), and as far as gear goes I rather have the current systems artifiacts(for N), Books/Coffers(for Savage).. vs some full on greed system, it still works out the same it's just now you are absolutely getting the loot you need/want instead of hoping for it too drop.

TradeSkills are the easiest too level over all, Beast Tribes till mid-50's Firmanent Restoration till 80(You can even do 1-80 all the way via BT's, it does slow down a bit near the end of 75-80, but you are still getting a lvl every other day), and don't forget you're engineering cert's for dbl exp! Though if you are wanting the Skybuilder's tools(Relic crafting/gathering tools) thoose require a lot of farming.. and *twitch* Expert Crafts *twitch*

Gatherers are even easier too lvl now, Min/Bot till 80 in Diadem(Don't forget you're engineering cert's for dbl exp), Fishing - Ocean Fishing I just started lvl'n fisher today and got too 28 with only 1-instance run of it, rofl.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Could have linked the actual site since it went back up like 2mins later. It has nothing of importance there though, just a list of the features already announced. It'll get more info after they do the live letter, which should be in a week and a half or so.

The title is somewhat ominous. Could be foreshadowing, could be a trick. Excited anyway.

Cybsled

Unto means to or until. Until makes more sense in that phrase.

Title is ominous, but I suppose it remains to be seen if they actually start killing off people. Could be a jebait, but considering this is the lead in to the xpac which wraps up the core story since 1.0, it wouldn’t surprise me if a major character gets offed. Lyse or Rauhban both rank high on the death-o-meter, since they are the only leaders listed who represent the same nation, which means one is expendable.

Merrith

Title is ominous, but I suppose it remains to be seen if they actually start killing off people. Could be a jebait, but considering this is the lead in to the xpac which wraps up the core story since 1.0, it wouldn’t surprise me if a major character gets offed. Lyse or Rauhban both rank high on the death-o-meter, since they are the only leaders listed who represent the same nation, which means one is expendable.

I would be a little weird to kill Lyse, since she's been absent for so long while we were dealing with stuff on the First. To come back and just off her first would seem kinda odd. I definitely expect a death or two in 6.0, we'll see about 5.5, though.

Cybsled

It would be, but she’s never been very popular in the scheme of things. But you want a death to serve the story, not just to be a cheap gotcha

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

It would be, but she’s never been very popular in the scheme of things. But you want a death to serve the story, not just to be a cheap gotcha

I always liked Lyse in SB, never understood the weird, not hate, but disinterest people have in her. Always been more interesting to me than the twins, by far, although Alphinaud wasn't nearly as bad in ShB.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Next Live Letter set for April 2nd, 8PM Japanese time so should be in the middle of the night for the US, middle of the day for EU.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
8PM Tokyo time would be like 9AM EST/6AM PST I believe
Google said 4AM west coast, but no idea about daylight savings. Can easily just watch VODs or just read the translated transcripts on the FFXIV reddit discord though(which is gonna be more useful than watching the video if you don't speak japanese anyway). Don't think they'll have too much to show, I guess they won't spoil the story so it'll probably just be the new dungeon(assuming it's not spoilery), diamond weapon and maybe a sneak peek of the new relic stuff if they're not planning another live letter inbetween.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

They always show a patch trailer, which can be pretty spoilery, even if some is misdirection (like Graha getting stabbed by Fake Ardbert, then later on they show a quick clip of Graha in pain, during the 5.3 trailer)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

My Vote is for Rauhban, and then we can see Pippin murder all the Garleans in a fit of lala-rage. Although I could also see Hien dying heroically, or Merlwyb in some kind of pirate nonsense.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Soo a friend thinks.

That Zenos is seeing the original fall of Ala Mhigo, via Ilberd's memories. Also Papalymo might actually be alive, but captured like how Louisoix was captured after sealing Bahamut(becoming Pheonix), albiet I think it's pointless cause even after freeing Louisoix from Pheonix/Bahamut he was still dead...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Soo a friend thinks.

That Zenos is seeing the original fall of Ala Mhigo, via Ilberd's memories. Also Papalymo might actually be alive, but captured like how Louisoix was captured after sealing Bahamut(becoming Pheonix), albiet I think it's pointless cause even after freeing Louisoix from Pheonix/Bahamut he was still dead...
In the Endwalker trailer you mean? Pretty sure that's
the fall of Garlemald, since it's in ruins in Endwalker. He's probably just having fun seeing the whole thing burn cause he really doesn't give a shit about the Empire, and it's likely the first thing he'd see burn since he's physically there when the "End" starts. I don't know what seeing the fall of Ala Mhigo would do for him, he doesn't care about that either and it has low significance for anyone else now that Ala Mhigo has been liberated anyway.

As for Papalymo, if it was like Louisoix, wouldn't he just have been revealed during the Omega arc or during Shinryu's fight at the end of SB? That's where it would have made sense to reveal something like that, not now that the whole thing is done.(edited cause I remembered it wrong)