Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gilgamesh had that issue going into Shadowbringers, not really surprised the entire Aether is sharing in that with the population influx.

Hopefully, they fix the problem of not being able to cross-world transfer back to a server if it has any login queue.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So the Aether Data Center is going to be labeled as congested till probably next year. Getting new world servers up isn't going to be happening anytime soon.

They are partially to blame for this. The DC's should be spread out instead of one cluster on the west cost. There should be 1 in the west, 1 in Chicago, and 1 on the east coast. It would have spread out the numbers naturally. There still would have been some congestion, but not as bad as it is now.

Everyone is having issues getting hardware right now...

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
JP DC etiquette is a bit different. They usually practice in PF and once they got the strat for a fight they use DF for quick clears.
Had a look at PF last night at peak JP time. For trials there was a Sephirot EX with 1/8, a Ramuh EX half full and then heaps that I don't have access to (SHB/SB).
Looks like PF isn't used that much at least for lower level stuff on JP. Can easily get DF pops for all L50 Extremes and Nidhogg/Bismark/Ravana EX.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You know a game is good when you are so addicted you are matching your sleep schedule to maintenance and frothing at the bit waiting for your server to come up after you wake up

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Malkav

French Madman
Hope you guys all got in Gilgamesh, because Aether is now closed down until further notice.

All the Crystal Worlds have been set as preferred though, so you can go mingle with the RPers of Balmung and enjoy the low Savage clear rates.

B_Mizzle

Hope you guys all got in Gilgamesh, because Aether is now closed down until further notice.

All the Crystal Worlds have been set as preferred though, so you can go mingle with the RPers of Balmung and enjoy the low Savage clear rates.

I dont feel like the queues were that bad. Prime time west coast about 600 in q, takes about 20 minutes if that when I've done it.

Daidraco

No way into Gilgamesh now? I’ve got an IRL buddy I’m trying to convince.
Not until they fix their issues. Endwalker is going to hit and if they havent done anything by then, its going to be a massive cluster fuck trying to play.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just ask Blizzard if they've got a few servers they aren't using and want to sell

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Malkav

French Madman
I dont feel like the queues were that bad. Prime time west coast about 600 in q, takes about 20 minutes if that when I've done it.

The biggest issue when you have an overcrowded DC is not necessarily the login queue for the World server. It's more the Instance server. Basically, every Duty, solo or group, for a datacenter takes place on servers separate from the world servers. Since group Duty are crossworld, if your whole DC is overpopulated the instance servers becomes saturated, leading to in game queues to get into instances : yes even for solo Duties or pre-formed group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I knew it was bad when I had a queue for the dungeons with an NPC party lol. UK timezone is doing great for me though, never queued for more than 30 seconds.

If you look at the server status we are literally on the only congested data center worldwide, it must be because of Asmongold.

It's not guaranteed but if anyone still wants in, they said they are trying to enable cross datacenter visits in the next expansion. At the moment you can visit other servers in your data center and group with people cross realm.

So you can make a character on another data center and there's an 80% chance you'll get to play with us in Endwalker if you don't want to pay for a transfer.

This isn't great but WoW also had these problems at the start of it's peak popularity, at least it's a growing game worth investing time into!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if they are panicking somewhat right now with the difficulty of acquiring servers, if they can't manage to improve server capacity in time for Endwalker, it could be an horrible launch.

Malkav

French Madman
They haven't activated the nuclear option yet.

Right now, even though they enabled afk kick, most of the Limsa thots circumvent it easily (just start crafting or open hud editor and you won't be kicked).

Back at ShB release, they went a step further :
Please note that we may also log out all characters on all Worlds should the congestion not dissipate. Should this become necessary, we will make an announcement via the in-game system message before it takes place.

Just kick everyone off the server if it's too congested, lol. I think at some point they were doing it once daily back then.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Love it or hate it, the elasticity of cloud platforms are a perfect fit for the constantly changing demand curve that plague MMOs. It boggles my mind why any game studio/publisher would want to be datacenter admins on top of developers. Even doing a cba, I have to imagine the first time you have a shitty patch launch or people can't play with their friends, it would be a no-go on hosting your own iron. Especially for a game which intends for the playerbase to come and go, hosting everything yourself in one datacenter is a retarded decision.

Goonsquad Officer
its my understanding that they were going to be launching an oceania server soon.

Part of me wonders if it wouldn't be smarter to just cannibalize that and prop up the popular datacenters more, to buy more time basically.

Cybsled

And actually having a reasonable chance of getting a housing plot, while all the other people on the other 2 data centers cry into their body pillows

Malkav

French Madman
its my understanding that they were going to be launching an oceania server soon.

Part of me wonders if it wouldn't be smarter to just cannibalize that and prop up the popular datacenters more, to buy more time basically.

"Soon". The stated goal was to have it for 6.1, which should be like 6 months away still.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Love it or hate it, the elasticity of cloud platforms are a perfect fit for the constantly changing demand curve that plague MMOs. It boggles my mind why any game studio/publisher would want to be datacenter admins on top of developers. Even doing a cba, I have to imagine the first time you have a shitty patch launch or people can't play with their friends, it would be a no-go on hosting your own iron. Especially for a game which intends for the playerbase to come and go, hosting everything yourself in one datacenter is a retarded decision.

Didn’t Blizzard switch over to pure cloud based and the performance has been shit since? Or is that more just rumor and guesses?