Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hope Endwalker brings a form of defensive target to the game for healers. It would be a huge QOL change - especially for stuff like Healers/Tanks.

Imagine casting Cover on a target you need to while still having the boss targeted. It feels so clunky without that defensive target mechanic.
I know exactly what you're looking for, but they have some pretty fancy targeting already that you can use to the same effect. Just sad 80% of people that play this game have no idea how to use most of it.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I hope Endwalker brings a form of defensive target to the game for healers. It would be a huge QOL change - especially for stuff like Healers/Tanks.

Imagine casting Cover on a target you need to while still having the boss targeted. It feels so clunky without that defensive target mechanic.

Mouseover macros

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
The problem with macros in general in ff is that they don’t queue like normal casts so they feel like shit to use and you have some baseline clipping (always).

e: also I think ast without cards would be super boring - it’d end up like sch whm where you just spam a nuke and some oGCD heals.

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The problem with macros in general in ff is that they don’t queue like normal casts so they feel like shit to use and you have some baseline clipping (always).

e: also I think ast without cards would be super boring - it’d end up like sch whm where you just spam a nuke and some oGCD heals.

Macros work fine for off-global abilities and things like Rescue where you would lose more time clicking on the player. Especially when you want to keep the boss targetted like S Secrets said. Honestly they are fine for healing in general, it's pretty rare that you just want to chain cast heal after heal after heal.

On a healer I have my heals on my bar in both a macro and a non-macro version.

Argarth

On the verandah
Or QuickLauncher with Mouseover Action .
Started using XIVLauncher just recently, somehow missed this plugin.
Just tested on WHM and holy shit, it seems to work flawlessly! That is a gamechanger. (could hardly imagine having played WoW without MO macros for all those years)
I'll be right pissed if any of this stuff becomes formally outlawed by SE. /crosses fingers

Malkav

French Madman
Started using XIVLauncher just recently, somehow missed this plugin.
Just tested on WHM and holy shit, it seems to work flawlessly! That is a gamechanger. (could hardly imagine having played WoW without MO macros for all those years)
I'll be right pissed if any of this stuff becomes formally outlawed by SE. /crosses fingers

Yeah I hope they keep ignoring it too. I don't want to go back to combos without XIVCombos and shitty mouseover macros.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
For what it’s worth Yoshi P is on record saying don’t use it, don’t use any third party programs, it’s not ok. I’m not aware of anyone getting banned though, and even when the world first tea group used a plug-in to auto move markers they did nothing personally, just stopped everyone being able to move markers in combat.

There’s worse stuff than this - some people are using xivalexander to triple weave without clipping and some people basically just script their entire rotation in savage fights, etc. So I would be surprised if SE didn’t get forced into taking action at some point.

(obviously I use ACT personally, but nothing else).

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
For what it’s worth Yoshi P is on record saying don’t use it, don’t use any third party programs, it’s not ok. I’m not aware of anyone getting banned though, and even when the world first tea group used a plug-in to auto move markers they did nothing personally, just stopped everyone being able to move markers in combat.

There’s worse stuff than this - some people are using xivalexander to triple weave without clipping and some people basically just script their entire rotation in savage fights, etc. So I would be surprised if SE didn’t get forced into taking action at some point.

It's runs mostly under the fight club rule. Don't mention it in game. Hell, a lot of the current batch of streamers are using XIVLauncher now, nevermind streamers who've been using ACT on screen for ages without trouble (except when Xeno and Arthars got temp banned for actually shaming someone's DPS on stream, but that fell under the harrassment rules).

YoshiP stated that they'd have to monitor what's on your PC to block addins and they won't do it.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

Makes me sad that people fucking around will fuck it up for modders.

I have a non-stock UI that I love more than the default UI, the unfortunate reality is that I could see them fucking it ALL up with a change but I bet they wanna be really careful since FFXIV has a HUUUGE """""ROLE PLAY""""" community.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
For ref re: the stuff I was talking about earlier - relevant bit in quote, full thread below for anyone who wants to read:

Yoshi-P said:
Continuing on, sorry, just a little bit more. Going back to ACT, it has a function where you can add plugins and with this, you can add ‘’expansions’’. And these expansions, are not part of ACT itself, but are creations form further third parties. And such expansions, destroy game balance and it goes in the game memory, and it does bad things, and from our perspective, there are much more malicious ones as well. And in regards to this, we are very serious and the moment we find evidence, the risks of penalties is extremely high and we want you to understand this. Please keep this in mind. Even on our side, we have preventions, actually we started since around 4.0 and we actually added security to the data packets of certain actions so that players can’t decipher it. This was to observe how the plugin creators reacted and responded. And we are changing the methods continuously…. And… we want you to stop. Basically, we set the rewards based on the game balance…. And so we want this to stop.

So… like, actually there’s two things. First, I’ll use an easy to understand example; during the world first race in Tea, there was this thing where the markers all suddenly changed position all at once during battle and I think that there are people who witnessed this... (Morbol: Yes, it kind of became a hot topic). Yeah, that was also how I first knew about this. Like theres even a tool like this huh? Right now, during battle, you can change the positions of the markers freely right? But, when moving the markers, for example, Morbol is trying to move a marker, on Morbols PC it sends a request to the server to change the marker positon and the server accepts it… But like this is done in extremely quick speeds. So for the server, it receives packets as orders and for FFXIV, the user PC acts as a midway point for the packet to be delivered to the server… so as a packet, it’s being properly processed, and we can’t catch you, but what you are doing is horrible, so we want you to stop. And we are working in dealing with this. But even if we remove each of these functions, it just becomes a game of cat and mouse and they just keep making more tools. And so we download the next tool and check how it works… thinking what the hell are you doing… and if we keep spending programmer resource on this, then it complicates the additions of content. And so we are going to address this by going to the fundamental roots and this is just one example. And how are proceeding, we will actually show you an example. But before that, just, one, one more thing. This is also from TEA. Recently a tool was made to ‘’show’’ the attack range/cone of an attack that is not supposed to show any. And this depending on some people, was a very serious issue. Like ‘’you can see every action now!’’. But actually, that’s not quite like that. It’s specifically made, JUST for that one attack, so when the attack comes, they made a visual data that would show the range of the attack. Like, REALLY? You made this JUST for this one attack? … I was REALLY shocked. So like they traced the exact range of cone and made a tool JUST for this one move. Like what the HELL are you doing? So talking about the seriousness of this… it’s not a tool that will make the game an open book, but it’s made with an immense amount of dedication and patience. So when the next savage comes and if you think that this will allow you to see everything, it’s not like that at all. But it’s possible to make one for each and every move, but for that, in the worst case, its data modification in a sense, even though it’s just for that one move, so like it’s completely BLACK. So if we find usage of that, we will immediately throw out penalties. So even just simply calling it a tool, there are tools which give user convenience and like taking a peek inside and moving some things…. Like tools which allows you to macro buttons for faster actions and like we just talked about, tools which goes beyond breaking the game balance, it gives too much convenience and tools which breaks the games difficulty, there is just no way we can accept this. In regards to these, it’s not allowed and if we find you using it and distributing it, penalties will be done. We want to strongly warn you about this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
So far it's just a lot of talks and no actions. Nobody has been banned over that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Totally true. Their actions don't seem to give a fuck and they also don't ban people obviously botting for 2y+.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Some of the mods are pretty tame (ERP, hiding people, damage meters). Some of the combo / queuing / mouseover plugins work by basically 'cheating', just within parameters that don't exceed what you could already do as a player. That being said, it's not hard to start modifying those values to being suspect.

This is more a product of them not having an add-on api which limits how developers can manipulate the client. Since the plug-in stuff is the wild west, they can do shit that would be completely not allowed by the WoW client for example.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I mean their "Words behind the words" seem clear.

Don't fuck up and MAKE them take action.

If they have to take action because they are forced to take action, it's going to be a mess and people will be angry.

You can read this as a "Don't ask, Don't Tell." policy in regards to modding.

Cybsled

Right. This is why I’m concerned with all the new eyes on the game, if you start seeing streamers do mods/etc then SE is going to be forced to act.

That modder Asmon interviewed already regrets doing that interview because of all the newly aware people

Xerge

<Donor>
It is effectively the fine balance functional addicts ride eh. Come to work, do the job, don't fuck up out of ordinary, go home and profit.

Don't make someone else go to the boss about you basically.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Right. This is why I’m concerned with all the new eyes on the game, if you start seeing streamers do mods/etc then SE is going to be forced to act.

That modder Asmon interviewed already regrets doing that interview because of all the newly aware people

Yeah there was apparently a group that started up intentionally looking for streamers/twitter accounts that post modded content somewhere and report evidence. It's a tiny group and seems almost like an Console purist terrorist organization hiding behind some disingenuous cause, but they're out there trying to spam reports, bragging about "150 people reported and 50 banned"

I'd love to see the proof on the bans claimed, since no game GM system tells you the results of reports other than "we'll look into it" - But I guess they're also looking at all the twitter accounts posting screenshots hoping to find evidence there of them owning the characters so they can get them banned as well.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there a decent guide to gatherer scrip farming? Like an optimal route/schedule for collectables or something?

Cybsled

I dunno how it is now since I usually just do custom deliveries if I really need white gathering scrip, but the timed gathering nodes used to be the main source for the Rowena white scrip handins.