Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyway. This is my new limit, 5 hours of trying now since I got off work, and I am just playing log in to boot yourself off.
I really enjoyed the game prior to this expansion launch too.
The few MSQ quests I did yesterday (maybe 35ish), when I was actually in the game, were however extremely lame and well below even their low from ARR. So maybe it's for the best if this expansion is going to be worse than ARR.

Oh wait I think I got your problem. You're a trial account? Paid subs have priority over trials in queue, which usually isn't an issue but with such a long queue, basically trial is impossible to log in with currently. Sucks but yeah for now you pretty much can't play the game unless you're subbed. That'd also explain why you keep getting to the end of the queue even when you relog. Not gonna be much you can do about that besides coming back in 2weeks or buying the game but losing all that free gameplay.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Were I'm working we are having issues getting hardware at all, and were offering 5x market value(and a full year of contracts on *hold* till we get it)..

I know Yoshi said that they got some much needed funding and were wanting too spend the money on more infrastructure, but there in the same boat my company is car companies are buying up every single second of production time on all lines.

it's not the same as the car industry because SE could have just rented server space for launch and up until things leveled out as a temporary measure but it would have been hilariously expensive and they didn't want to spend money. Most likely they haven't done jack shit to their infrastructure at all in a the past few years apart from some minor internal tweaking. Yoshi says they got funding but anyone with even a little knowledge how corporate works is that the funding, if any (it all could be just corporate BS), they got was based on a bare minimum estimation which was made when they first started thinking about upgrading. Also they funding came thru a few months prior to release when suits at the top were finally convinced enough by the numbers that they are fucked. And now they are panicing because delivery time could be a year easy, plus the setup, testing etc.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
a06.jpg

• 1Picard

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
it also highlights kind of a design decision they probably made in the early days and how it doesn't work for launch events with the current subscriber population. It's pretty clear each datacenter has a "max" number of players it can support, but because the number fluctuates, they decided to use the median number of players + some small buffer and have servers in each datacenter that can use that median up to the max+ buffer, with the number allowed to be way higher to some max that the server can handle.

So now they have way more players subbed and on worlds in a datacenter than the datacenter can actually handle, and they're all trying to play at the same time instead of staggered around the median number per server they spec'd out for.

Solution not robust; does not scale.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Made it all the way through the queue, but yeah, got bumped out quite a bit. Either the queue went down proportionally with me or I got put back in the same spot every time. Having to fully log the fuck back in from the launcher is awful, though, and they really need to fix that shit.

Didn’t end up playing anyway tonight and just finished up a Halo campaign with the husband. Finished up with Mare Lamentorum before I left for the day. It’s…a bit of a tone roller coaster for sure.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Logging on at 9 am on Europe data center and I had 30 queue. Think it starts to pick up after 1pm or something.

Got 79 on Reaper yesterday, will push to 80 today and resume MSQ.

On another note, wtf is this. Checked PF for a group for lvl 79 dungeon and I see this. Why the fuck not just queue up random as a tank and do the leveling roulette instead of making a PF with stupid rules and wasting time. Maybe I'm missing something.

partyfinder.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
it also highlights kind of a design decision they probably made in the early days and how it doesn't work for launch events with the current subscriber population. It's pretty clear each datacenter has a "max" number of players it can support, but because the number fluctuates, they decided to use the median number of players + some small buffer and have servers in each datacenter that can use that median up to the max+ buffer, with the number allowed to be way higher to some max that the server can handle.

So now they have way more players subbed and on worlds in a datacenter than the datacenter can actually handle, and they're all trying to play at the same time instead of staggered around the median number per server they spec'd out for.

Solution not robust; does not scale.
I don't think that's the issue necessarily. They've repeatedly said they couldn't open new servers due to issues getting the hardware, as well as moving personnel around to install it(which is either because it runs piece of shit software you need to know about, or because they want to oversee operations due to the mmo nature and keeping it somewhat secret).

The big issue is, as far as I remember it happened before too, they can't just open new servers on existing DCs. They're basically running at max capacity on DCs, so they'd need to make new DCs. This has issues however as an empty DC will run into a lot of problems for running content, until they can maybe get cross DC queues or something like that. They could do what they did before and split current DCs into more DCs but it requires a bunch of work and enough time for people to use free transfers to move about, it was quite a mess last time.

They probably had plans to expand somewhat to deal with the expansion(and seeing as how a fair few servers are actually running fine besides the 15-30mins queues which I'd say is an acceptable amount, that's probably right), but the somewhat recent spike in popularity probably fucked up part their plans and they couldn't react in time to deal with both. I assume they had plans to expand DCs once they had DC travel in so the problem would have fixed itself that way, but they probably didn't expect to need it so soon.

With that said, my personnal experience so far has been exactly the same as ShB. Took 30-40mins getting in when the expansion launched, then didn't run into any problems(besides my first alliance roulette where I got a ~5secs packet loss moment where I thought the server shat itself, then it picked back up). I did leave my PC running overnight with a Logitech macro, other than the one time I relogged around 3AM on friday's night, so I'm dodging the queues though, so can't say too much about that, but server stability has been good so far.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Can anyone verify if any of the afk tricks still work? I've tested keeping the crafting interface open, attacking a target dummy, and keeping the HUD edit open and get booted every time. I basically can get in early morning at work, and then when my first break rolls in I get booted and then cant get back in for the day.
It looks like they've moved the AFK code from client-side to server-side. Unless you send a new command to the server because you are doing something, the server will boot you. That's why any interface opened won't work anymore, not any form of auto-stuff (like running or auto-attacking).

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you get a 2002 error and log back right after, you'll resume your queue position, there's a grace period, I don't know how it precisely works but yesterday I got error 2002 twice, logged back instantly (with the XIVLauncher) and got my queue position back. It also works with regular launcher, you just need to be fast.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Message from Yoshi-P

TL;DR giving free time (7 days maybe more), explains the exact nature of the 2002 errors and what is going on. Very long (and detailed) read.

Hello, this is Naoki Yoshida, Producer & Director of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

The congestion that has continued since the start of Endwalker Early Access has been the cause of many inconveniences to our players. Regarding this, we truly appreciate your understanding and cooperation thus far.

I would like to provide an explanation of the current congestion situation, as well as information regarding countermeasures and the compensation of game time.

■ Congestion situation

Currently, all Worlds across all regions have been hitting the login cap for extremely long periods of time, and the progression of login queues is being slowed dramatically. Across the FFXIV service as a whole, the number of simultaneous logins has reached the hardware limit, and as a result, logging in has required an extremely long time, especially during “peak hours” when we tend to see increased player activity. For this, I am truly sorry.

■ Game time compensation due to congestion

Considering that we are asking players to wait in queues for extremely long periods of time and the ongoing situation making it difficult to play normally, we have decided that during the official release of Endwalker on December 7, we will be granting 7 days of free game time to all players who own the full version of the game and have an active subscription. This also includes players who are currently playing on the 30-day free play period included when registering the full version of the game and those with multiple accounts.

Furthermore, we may give additional free game time depending on further developments on the congestion situation. The timing at which the free game time will be provided, as well as any additional extensions, will be announced at a later time. We truly appreciate your cooperation and patience regarding the congestion situation.

■ Errors that occur while waiting in login queues

When you are waiting in a login queue, an error may cause you to disconnect. Multiple types of cases have been confirmed for this, and I’d like to elaborate on their causes below.

・ Error 2002

There are two primary causes.

The first occurs when attempting to log into a logical data centre (such as Aether or Primal) and there are more than 17,000 players in the login queue. This leads to an Error 2002 occurring, resulting in being unable to enter the login queue.

The other occurs when your internet connection experiences packet loss or a period of network instability, causing the server connection to be momentarily disconnected. At the moment, we are seeing more cases caused by this.

Because the waiting times in login queues are long, we believe this increases the chances of encountering internet issues or momentary disconnections.

As you may expect, resolving this issue on a fundamental level would be to resolve the congestion. However, if you are playing using a Wi-Fi connection and are able to switch to a hard-wired internet connection, that would improve connection stability. We ask that you try this method as well.

If you are playing on the PlayStation®4 or PlayStation®5 version, please check your settings related to power saving. If settings relating to disconnecting from the internet, such as standby mode or rest mode are enabled, please note that these may activate while waiting in the login queue, so you may want to adjust your settings.

・ Error 4004, 5003, and 5006
These errors occur when your connection to the login management server times out as a result of waiting in a login queue for extremely long periods of time. Although we’d secured a considerably long session time with the lobby server; however, there are times this is still not enough to cover the issue, so we are currently working on a process to extend the session time. We apologise for the inconvenience, and ask that you to wait a little bit longer until this process is complete.

■ Peak hours of congestion

Though the congestion status may vary for each logical data centre, I’d like to share information regarding the peak hours of congestion we’ve currently observed as of December 5.

North American Data Centre: 12:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (PST) / 20:00 to 6:00 (GMT)
European Data Centre: 3:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PST) / 11:00 to 23:00 (GMT)
Japan Data Centre: 1:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. (PST) / 9:00 to 15:00 (GMT)

With Early Access taking place over the weekend, congestion may also peak around noon, but login queues have typically been longer during the hours listed above. We apologise for the inconvenience and ask that you use this information as a reference when considering when to play. Information regarding peak hours during weekdays will be provided at a later time.

■ Inactivity while using dance emotes or attacking striking dummies

We have received feedback regarding players who are allegedly using dance emotes or attacking striking dummies in order to bypass the automatic logout that occurs after 30 minutes of inactivity. However, these methods cannot bypass the automatic logout. When player characters are left inactive in these states, their status is automatically changed to “Away from Keyboard” before they are eventually automatically logged out for 30 minutes of inactivity. To some, this may appear as though they were successful in avoiding automatic logout, which we believe to be the basis of these rumors.

■ Automatic logout due to inactivity during ending credits

We have received reports of players being automatically logged out during the ending credits of A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, Stormblood, or Shadowbringers due to 30 minutes of inactivity. Upon investigation, we discovered that the procedure for avoiding automatic logout was missing for these ending credits, for which I am truly sorry. As for the ending credits of Endwalker, this procedure is included and you will not be logged out for inactivity during its duration.

We apologise for the inconvenience, but when viewing the ending credits for A Realm Reborn, Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers, we ask that you press a button on your controller, press a key on your keyboard, or click with your mouse. By doing so before 30 minutes pass, you will be able to reset the automatic logout timer. Please also note that simply moving your mouse cursor will not prevent automatic logout. This issue will be added to a list of known issues in a separate announcement.

Once again, I would like to apologise for the many inconveniences caused to our players as a result of the congestion that has continued since the start of Early Access. I am truly sorry, and we will continue to do our utmost to address the congestion situation and the errors during login queues as soon as possible.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've not had any queues at all on Gilgamesh, you gotta plan when you log in. Granted my time zone helps!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've heard we have some chip manufacturing being set up in Texas, but that's at least 2+ years away at best. Zero help in the short term hah.
Texas and Arizona have started construction of a few chip foundry's, but ya they are still 2+ years away..

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Okay, I finally got in and tried Sage. Anyone know of a tl;dr?

Toxikon needs an Addersting, but you need to use Eukrasia to upgrade Diagnosis to Eukrasian Diagnosis and the shield needs to be consumed?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Texas and Arizona have started construction of a few chip foundry's, but ya they are still 2+ years away..
Who in their right mind builds a semiconductor factory in the desert? The whole process requires lots of water, i.e. to clean the wafers. Basically, once for each layer.

Also, the biggest problem with chip manufacturing right now, is that there is only one company worldwide providing cutting edge chip manufacturing equipment (ASML). And even they don't manufacture the EUV lithography part, they have a joint venture with Zeiss SMT for that.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Who in their right mind builds a semiconductor factory in the desert? The whole process requires lots of water, i.e. to clean the wafers. Basically, once for each layer.

Also, the biggest problem with chip manufacturing right now, is that there is only one company worldwide providing cutting edge chip manufacturing equipment (ASML). And even they don't manufacture the EUV lithography part, they have a joint venture with Zeiss SMT for that.

Cause belive it or not Arizona sits on a massive water table =p

And yes I know that ASML and Seiss are the ones for the actual machines, but the actual buildings are 2+ years from being completed who know's by that point what they have available..

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Gilg queue at 32, got right in around 9 am
Hit a 28 queue early, went and made some food and was afk'd out. Didn't think it'd matter because of the queue. Came back about an hour after and queue was 1900+ (on Gilgamesh).

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been busy all day, tried to log on, nothing sub 7k and a bunch of fucking 2002’s. Not sure what 7 days free time is supposed to resolve when I’ll be working all this coming week and not be able to log until after 6 each evening.