Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malkav

French Madman
First EX is rather easy, no group mechanics to speak of, just identify and dodge (or just follow the guy that's quick to identify safe spots).

Second EX is something else though. Man I hate these fucking waves.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Been playing all weekend and about to enter the 6th zone. The story is great but I feel some people are hyping it a bit too much in the comments. The trials feel really hard though

i think they've tightened the i-level drift on them this time. and we have no tome gear yet etc.

Goonsquad Officer
heh weird water you can walk on. alien environment. floating plant.

1639348037690.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
First EX is rather easy, no group mechanics to speak of, just identify and dodge (or just follow the guy that's quick to identify safe spots).

Second EX is something else though. Man I hate these fucking waves.

Waves? Isn't that the first EX? Although I guess in the story order it's 2nd but since it's weapons it's the one I started with. Cleared on 2nd PF, first was 30mins of people being terrible at the basic stuff but got me to see the core of the fight, then I joined a "clear party must have seen enrage", even though I hadn't even seen waves, but eh I watched a video. Honestly was pretty easy that part. Granted I played tank so I could eat random vuln stacks and still not die. Cleared that after like 40mins in there wiping to chakrams and waves.

Haven't tried other one, should probably do it at some point before my sleeping schedule drift too far out of prime time.

On class stuff, since I've leveled a few now.

MNK is meh as I mentionned before, really don't like the "rework", it's just too superficial, and even then it's somehow kinda clunky shit, especially how your ressource generate(the new blitz shit) doesn't line up with 2mins raid buffs, it's a charge based ability with 40s cd so it should line up since you need 3 charges for the big burst, but it doesn't because you only start with 2, so you have to do a scuffed opener where you purposefully fail the blitz so it lines up with the next 2mins. Don't know which retard designed it like that but it's stupid. Also not a fan of how Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes keep getting switched around, it's a minor stuff and to an extent it makes use of the MNK special "combo" system but I like it better when I just always DK > Twin instead of having to think if it's DK > Twin or DK > True this time around.

SCH is great, the best it's been since HW imo. The 1.5s GCD change is godlike for the feel of the class with all its oGCDs, the fairy is a lot more responsive and the new party sprint is actually really fucking good, even though it looked like the most boring showcased ability by far, getting motherfuckers who are too slow to react in time to their spots while also mitigating dmg is great shit. There's still clunky aspects to the class, and Energy Drain feels kinda sad now, but overall love it.

SGE I haven't capped yet, but honestly feels pretty meh as I expected. It's not terrible or anything, but it feels too simple, and yet it struggles at some weird stuff like if your tank in dungeons is shit and doing big pulls, you suddenly struggle for healing output until you're high enough to have a ton of oGCDs(but then you'll struggle the pull after since you're out of cooldowns).

SMN is super fun, although very simplistic. I feel it got the MCH treatment where you have a really easy to do rotation, but it's somehow enjoyable because the skills feel good. I didn't level with it though, lvled SCH, and the low lvls(especially before 72) look absolute ass. You literally just get color variations of Ruin, so yeah I wouldn't want to level with it. At 72 at least the Ruin variation become a bit different but the class really only shines at 86+ when you get the oGCD primal spells. Barely a caster anymore though, like you have 3 whole non instant every minute or some shit, everything else you can just run around, so plays like a ranged phys DPS, but you get nice utility(rez and budget aoe and tank heals).

RPR is pretty alright. Out of the melees I think it might be my favorite now. I like that it doesn't have too many positionals, and while it's a slow GCD class, it has a fair amount of stuff to do it felt like. Mobility is great, low lvl damage is broken, so it's a nice overall class. The 80 skill definitely makes it come together as before that it feels pretty barebones.

WAR is fucking great. I hesitated between it and GNB and don't regret it. It's so fucking strong in dungeons, every 25secs you basically get Hallowed Ground for ~8seconds on trash packs because of the self healing from Raw Intuition, and the DPS feels less "all or nothing" around your Inner Release window. It's still a big burst but since it's now a 1min cd for only 3 fell cleaves, it doesn't feel as bad if you die/get dmg down/get unaligned or whatever. Also feels like you do more stuff since it's up more often. The new 90 capstone skill is cool as fuck too, although I hate how it's delayed to move, but it's hilariously good looking when you use it as a gap closer. Overpower is still the only downside, but overall not as much of an issue especially since you get aoe Upheaval(with no rage cost) so you can oGCD the first pack as you're running.

Haven't leveled the other stuff yet, a lot of what I looked into looked kinda boring though, so haven't really felt tempted to level too much.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Really enjoying Paladin, being able to cast heals is amazing, I soloed the robot 2nd boss in final dungeon from 50% because my party was retarded. It's also really nice self healing or healing a partner in Eureka.

I also like the burst window of Requiscast and then either the AoE or Single Target Holy/Heal spells x4 then the 4 hit Confiteor combo. It's kinda similar to the Gunbreaker burst window but with added effects (it being ranged and the added healing especially).

Sheltron is really cool to have a mitigation on such a short effective cooldown too.

Cybsled

Samurai changes feel really good, especially for AOE. Before with AOE, it was clunky because you had to build your buffs using single target, then work into the AOE combos. Now you can just go straight into your AOE combos and get the buffs doing just that. Plus with the new level 90 skill and AOE Shoha ability you can do even more AOE burst. I feel like I put out amazing AOE now.

Plus you get double stacks on the meikyo ability that lets you fill up all 3 stickers fast, so you can do lots of midares for huge single target burst.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Might be a stupid question, but uh, what server can I make a new character on as a returning player?

Full.png

• 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
You'll have to wait for non-peak times to make a character. Creation is locked for a server if that server is currently facing a queue time (if there's a queue, you can't hit the server to finalize char creation since it's full). Early in the morning is your best bet.

• 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
I'm really enjoying gunbreaker at 90. the heal on heart of corundrum is really nice, second heal and third bullet, and 2 bullet attack. they all combine to make it 'more of the same' but smoothly put together.

monk is obnoxious. they need to remove perfect balance as a pre-requisit to filling the monk icons. remove some of the other garbage surrounding negating restrictions on attacks. and fire whoever made anatman, like always.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I had a low-level character on Behemoth, so I started fresh as a Thaumaturge, and shifted to Black Mage once I hit 30 (with the 15 archer req). I'm sure it'll get more complex but right now (lvl 38) it's a VERY basic class to play.

Monk was annoying before I left the game, and my Bard just got crazy with all the abilities. I felt like I was playing EQ2 again.. Sticking with BLM right now.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
They posted back in the summer when this first started that there was nothing they could do without semiconductors.

Absolutely ridiculous they're still using physical hardware servers and not virtual machines, but whatever.. That's Square for you.

• 1Moron

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I had a low-level character on Behemoth, so I started fresh as a Thaumaturge, and shifted to Black Mage once I hit 30 (with the 15 archer req). I'm sure it'll get more complex but right now (lvl 38) it's a VERY basic class to play.

Monk was annoying before I left the game, and my Bard just got crazy with all the abilities. I felt like I was playing EQ2 again.. Sticking with BLM right now.
Most classes are stupid easy at low lvl, stuff really only starts to get semi complex as you get to HW/SB levels and start getting more complex abilities. BLM's pretty fun as you get higher as the rotation becomes more interesting and you get a lot more tools, plus you stop chucking the puny looking firebolts and start just spamming big WOOOSH BOOM shit.

Every class ends up with a fair bit of buttons save a few exceptions. Like generally speaking everything has at least 25 buttons and a few have 30+. SMN is probably the only one with a low amount now, with MCH not too far behind, these were reworked and they trimmed a lot of stuff in the process, but a lot are just building upon the previous expansion bloat.

Cybsled

Absolutely ridiculous they're still using physical hardware servers and not virtual machines, but whatever.. That's Square for you.

There are major downsides to most cloud servers. Physical servers you can allow more people in a single location and not melt your performance. WoW moved to cloud based shit a while ago and as a result, if there are more than 50 people in a single area, it starts to act like shit.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Goonsquad Officer
Every class ends up with a fair bit of buttons save a few exceptions. Like generally speaking everything has at least 25 buttons and a few have 30+. SMN is probably the only one with a low amount now, with MCH not too far behind, t

yep. i REALLY think they should 'scale up' the amount of starting buttons. like make you start with a level 20 kit then move up from there. it would engage new players a lot more. BUT it's hard to get them to change old content.

The XIV launcher plugin called "xiv combo plugin" consolidates some combos, it's not a bad thing to do for some classes, but for others it's not a great idea.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'm so happy about the new/upgraded GNB ability this xpac.. I've done around 3 dungeon bosses so far without a healer because ours died in the first half of the fight.. keep myself and even others alive with the 2 heals I've got now.
Even soloed the first trial boss for around 1.5 minutes just to fuck with my retard group who was all dead, if there were no tanks busters id have made it to the enrage (assuming there is one).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I'm so happy about the new/upgraded GNB ability this xpac.. I've done around 3 dungeon bosses so far without a healer because ours died in the first half of the fight.. keep myself and even others alive with the 2 heals I've got now.
Even soloed the first trial boss for around 1.5 minutes just to fuck with my retard group who was all dead, if there were no tanks buyers id have made it to the enrage (assuming there is one).

I'm wondering if all the tanks have a lot of self healing then. Able to solo bosses as well as my warrior. Did the first boss of one of the level 90 optionals from 60% to dead solo. Used to be something I felt I could only do when playing PLD

• 2Faggotry

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Well getting into the game is getting worse and worse.
New error happening now is "The Lobby has Encountered an Error" Disconnect. That always puts you to the end of the queue regardless of how fast you log back in.
I have been trying to log in since 5pm Eastern today. Longest queue started at 4400-ish. However I have had this new error happen 5 times now. And currently at 2495 in queue at 8:38pm Eastern.

I must say in 9-10 days they have done a wonderful job of making logging in worse.

The game is still great, once you get in. But the having to baby-sit a queue, and fail to maintain your spot for hours on end is probably going to be a deal breaker for way more people than it should.

They had two years to get ready for this and did nothing...
And on their forums it's a fan boy white knight fest... Defending their worthlessness at preparing for this launch.

Incredible.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm wondering if all the tanks have a lot of self healing then. Able to solo bosses as well as my warrior. Did the first boss of one of the level 90 optionals from 60% to dead solo. Used to be something I felt I could only do when playing PLD
WAR and PLD already had a lot, but they did buff GNB healing a fair bit, and they buffed PLD and WAR too. DRK didn't really get much in terms of self sustain, although TBN was always a pretty strong tool for that due to the low cd. PLD is still best at keeping someone else alive so you don't take forever to do shit though, WAR can "kinda" do it but you need stuff to be lined up properly(need Infuriate/Primal Rend for bigger heals) and it's not nearly as good, and I think GNB isn't that good either but can maybe do it, kinda like WAR. DRK can't do shit though, since TBN is largely "either someone else or me survive without healing", unlike the others who offer healing to other people too.

As WAR though the self healing is definitely pretty nuts. Honestly most content I don't actually really need heals. Even EX trials I can tank for a long time without any healing, besides specific things(adds on weapon trial since those hurt quite a bit). Dungeons and shit I can do some of the trash packs with minimal/no healing by rotating my self heals and mitigation, and bosses I literally need no healilng at all.

Those new tools are really nice when you get paired with a shit healer, can still do wall to wall pulls and still be ok. It's only shit when both DPS are also shit, which sadly happens too fucking often.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
keep myself and even others alive with the 2 heals I've got now.
no doubt. i found myself on (trial 1, trial 2) and the various dungeons, when i see some one low, i throw the regen on them. when it's time to take a gather, or a big hit i know is coming i'll throw heart on some poor dps or healer that's lower HP. they make great smoothing tools. i really want to make a hotbar overlaying the group bar with macros for "put regin on party_member_1 etc" so i can just mash that.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
There are major downsides to most cloud servers. Physical servers you can allow more people in a single location and not melt your performance. WoW moved to cloud based shit a while ago and as a result, if there are more than 50 people in a single area, it starts to act like shit.
Cloud servers also are cost prohibitive in additional to poorly performant.

It's almost always better to host baremetal for MMO style games. For low CCU games that are niche, it's almost always better to physically host it yourself, too.
It's the difference between spending $100k/yr for a cloud-hosted game server farm and $12k/yr for a physical server farm. You can also pay backup companies far cheaper than storing it on a glacier instance on AWS. There's no shortage of small companies that will host you.

For stuff like login servers, or authentication servers, etc - it may be best to do /both/ in case of a cloud outage or an on-site disaster like what happened with OVH back in March.

I was hoping New World would actually be designed to utilize cloud computing for this very reason - was hoping they'd shake up the mold with Lumberyard + AWS integration. It would have jumpstarted their engine if they had something of value and open sourced it.

But unfortunately, they didn't do jack shit and the game suffered for it. I wager they didn't anticipate their hosting for demanding gameservers being awful like every other company found out the hard way.