Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
One of the other things I was wondering, okay so Meteon stopped the rebirth cycle, she says as much with her star dungeon. So, now that Meteon is hopeful and the soul star is no more, I wonder whats going to happen. I wonder if we will start to see rebirths of specific people sooner than later and it will be the topic of expansions in the future.
I think you are confused here. The rebirth cycle on Etheris never stopped, it would just take decades for a dead person to be reborn and they don't keep their memories unless someone interferes (eg Ascian memory crystal).

Our character is a reborn fragment of Azem, as was Ardbert, Ryne and Gaia in Shadowbringers were reborn Minfillia and a reborn Loghrif fragment.

What Meteion meant was that she stopped the rebirth cycle on the dead worlds by moving the souls to the black hole thing in Ultima Thule.

Goonsquad Officer
One of the other things I was wondering, okay so Meteon stopped the rebirth cycle, she says as much with her star dungeon. So, now that Meteon is hopeful and the soul star is no more, I wonder whats going to happen. I wonder if we will start to see rebirths of specific people sooner than later and it will be the topic of expansions in the future.

theoretically she won't be choking out civilizations that reach the apex going forward. though that isn't something you should see on a timeline matching the time scale of the people of eorzea.

i REALLY liked how the despair/apex civilization themes were a massive exploration of the 'great filter' (Great Filter - Wikipedia). It seems like in FF there existed a quasi great filter in the form of...races having the ability to gain way more power than they can ethically or responsibly use. then it wrecks shit if you don't stay super grounded. too many 'great powers' you can rely upon. In the end i feel like hydolin's sundering the world and dividing the 'possible power level' of the common citizen was un-earthly genius on her part because the people will have to struggle forever, and therefore are really unlikely to reach hyper utopia outside of ancients manipulating them (alagans. maybe ronkans?) but theoretically the ancients are all gone so that's nice.

I know it won't happen but...i really...really really wish they would add beast tribe / restoration style quests for EACH of the civilizations encountered in ultima thule. like you help each one nurse back to exestential equilibrium. some, like the weird ghost boys, stay there, but maybe the dragons migrate to etheris. I'm skeptical they'll go over 3 tribes because...they love their formulas but shit..ARR had so many tribes! anyway side rant.

Goonsquad Officer
What Meteion meant was that she stopped the rebirth cycle on the dead worlds by moving the souls to the black hole thing in Ultima Thule.

I also took it to mean that she literally meant she'd depress an ailing race into stopping reproducing. the only way to ease the pain is to never be born. prevent new birth. prevent new beings from coming into existence. lol, the evilest thing in the universe wants population control. social engineering threatened to end existence!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah this story, was just thinking, the closest comparrison I could figure was from Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the moment where zelda turns to you and asks you if you remember her and you get an emotional scene. Instead of one scene, this expansion has dozens of those.

Legit I wonder if some people are gunna have a hard time coping from this expansion.

FFXIV has an insane amount of Alphabet soup players, those people barely need a whisper to off themselves and this expansion is filled with emotional moments.

Cybsled

I’m actually kind of concerned that some of the themes/scenes in EW will hit Asmon hard emotionally, especially the aftermath of one of the trials

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
on a lighter note...it amazed me how much engrish gets used, unintentionally or not, in some songs:

Dude...

I get that "Big Fat Tacos" is a meme....but that shit shouldn't be in a major boss fight. Dear god that was distracting the annoying part is the majority of that song rocks but holy fuck it is rough.

Looking up the Romaji I can see:

Biito, Sono haato __ Sabik
Beat, the heart of Sabik

So, I'm guessing they don't pronounce "the" or "Of"

and what you get is:

Biito, Haato ko
Biito, Haato ko
Biito, Haato ko
Sabik

or in english:

beat the heart of
beat the heart of
beat the heart of
Sabik

---

Alternatively you get songs like:

that are in english, and don't seem to suffer from "Engrish".

Whispers falling silently drift on the wind
But I hear you
Our journey, now a memory fading from sight
But I see you

Unbroken, promises we made so long ago
You’re still here
Unspoken, Requiem for a river of tears

Flowing, winding, to one eternal sea
And yet a hope remains
Guiding, lighting the way
No time for mourning

Rises on a mem’ry borne from the ashes
With the heavens
To sunset, blood-red skies tranquil after the storm
Blessed shadow

Turning, winding, always night follows day
The sun will shine again
Walk on, nеver look back
Through you we live

Talеs of loss and fire and faith
Everywhere our hearts and pain
In the dark you will not stray
Forge ahead, till the end, we pray

• 1Solidarity

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

Dude...

I get that "Big Fat Tacos" is a meme....but that shit shouldn't be in a major boss fight. Dear god that was distracting the annoying part is the majority of that song rocks but holy fuck it is rough.

Looking up the Romaji I can see:

Biito, Sono haato __ Sabik
Beat, the heart of Sabik

So, I'm guessing they don't pronounce "the" or "Of"

and what you get is:

Biito, Haato ko
Biito, Haato ko
Biito, Haato ko
Sabik

or in english:

beat the heart of
beat the heart of
beat the heart of
Sabik

---

Alternatively you get songs like:

that are in english, and don't seem to suffer from "Engrish".

Whispers falling silently drift on the wind
But I hear you
Our journey, now a memory fading from sight
But I see you

Unbroken, promises we made so long ago
You’re still here
Unspoken, Requiem for a river of tears

Flowing, winding, to one eternal sea
And yet a hope remains
Guiding, lighting the way
No time for mourning

Rises on a mem’ry borne from the ashes
With the heavens
To sunset, blood-red skies tranquil after the storm
Blessed shadow

Turning, winding, always night follows day
The sun will shine again
Walk on, nеver look back
Through you we live

Talеs of loss and fire and faith
Everywhere our hearts and pain
In the dark you will not stray
Forge ahead, till the end, we pray
I absolutely just about fucking died laughing when I heard the Big Fat Tacos part of that theme, ngl. Laughing for a good solid 2 minutes.. but this theme is so much better than the lyrics lead on...

...if you listen closely, it's a culmination of lemotifs of every threat the universe faced up until that point. Starts out with Shinryu/Stormblood lemotif, then moves to Ultima Weapon, the Heavens' Ward, Thordan's, Hades' theme, and repeats again from Ultima Weapon.

You literally just saw scattered memories of past civilizations that didn't make it, and you, the Warrior of Light, are reminded that you've made it this far and this threat can fucking end you if you take a misstep, as it may have before.

Then, Phase 2 hits, which is basically your theme (You are the "Endwalker", if you use the Jukebox plugin, it actually has the same name) and your dynamis (emotions) let you transcend your actual limitations, and you bring your companions back to crush the Endsinger.

Phase 2's theme is so fucking well done. The lemotifs throughout XIV are just some of the very best in gaming, let alone MMOs.

Refer to this YouTube comment:
Warrior of Light during phase 1: "Why do I hear boss music?"
Endsinger during phase 2: "Why do I hear boss music?"

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I absolutely just about fucking died laughing when I heard the Big Fat Tacos part of that theme, ngl. Laughing for a good solid 2 minutes.. but this theme is so much better than the lyrics lead on...

...if you listen closely, it's a culmination of lemotifs of every threat the universe faced up until that point. Starts out with Shinryu/Stormblood lemotif, then moves to Ultima Weapon, the Heavens' Ward, Thordan's, Hades' theme, and repeats again from Ultima Weapon.

You literally just saw scattered memories of past civilizations that didn't make it, and you, the Warrior of Light, are reminded that you've made it this far and this threat can fucking end you if you take a misstep, as it may have before.

Then, Phase 2 hits, which is basically your theme (You are the "Endwalker", if you use the Jukebox plugin, it actually has the same name) and your dynamis (emotions) let you transcend your actual limitations, and you bring your companions back to crush the Endsinger.

Phase 2's theme is so fucking well done. The lemotifs throughout XIV are just some of the very best in gaming, let alone MMOs.

Refer to this YouTube comment:
Warrior of Light during phase 1: "Why do I hear boss music?"
Endsinger during phase 2: "Why do I hear boss music?"

Oh no doubt, but even they know it's a meme and have used it as a meme for a couple events.

I also love the symbolism of it. It was the first Ultima music, played on the first part of the last ultima fight. I know the "Why" of why it's there but ..yeah... complaining won't do a thing so, LoL. Not gunna remove the thought of symbolism from that team.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Oh no doubt, but even they know it's a meme and have used it as a meme for a couple events.

I also love the symbolism of it. It was the first Ultima music, played on the first part of the last ultima fight. I know the "Why" of why it's there but ..yeah... complaining won't do a thing so, LoL. Not gunna remove the thought of symbolism from that team.
In Ultima Thule, during the slow walk, the buff that you gain while walking through the forgotten memories is actually called "Endwalker', implying that you are the endwalker, Michael-Bay-walking past all of the world's memories in order to confront sorrow itself as the world's light. Which, honestly, is pretty fucking badass even by JRPG standards.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
but I was mostly just responding to the idea that "throwing things into the cloud" solves them; until SE gets hardware on the ground, it would be a reasonable stopgap, but yeah it depends on exactly how their login servers are orchestrated.
The biggest architectural errors I think they have made:
  • Login queues are per data center instead of server: The data center queue has a "soon" queue of 100 slots for imminent login, but you can be stuck in that queue at position 1 for 15 minutes, just because the destination server is full while other servers move quicker. This really happened to me.
  • Login queues not running on the central authentication servers (which check your password and subscription), which could easily scale out, because transaction load on them is very limited. Handover to data center and world servers should happen after that.
But those are not easy fixes and need an architectural rework.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In Ultima Thule, during the slow walk, the buff that you gain while walking through the forgotten memories is actually called "Endwalker', implying that you are the endwalker, Michael-Bay-walking past all of the world's memories in order to confront sorrow itself as the world's light. Which, honestly, is pretty fucking badass even by JRPG standards.
I have yet to do the dungeon but I RPG walked with Alise and Alphinaud to the top and was surprised they actually made a section with RPG walking right after.

I just had to listen to the music and take my time getting up there after the depressing setting of the whole zone.

Was too late to continue but will finish the Endwalker quest today.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yes got to the final Eureka zone, just need a few cryatals for glowy armour which hopefully I can get tonight!

Thank god you don't need to upgrade the Pyros weapon to get the armour.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Do they really expect people to farm 500 Bicolour gemstone vouchers for the mount/wings? That's 50,000 gems. 3,572 fates. For one of item. Double that if you want both.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished it just now and it was a journey for sure. The last zone was depressing as fuck, don't see me spending much time there, much like the tempest of Shadow Bringers.

Last boss felt a bit easier than the 2nd trial but it was kinda rough going in blind. I like the expansion a lot but I think Shadowbringers is higher on the list, probably due to so Emet-Selch being a great antagonist. Might change with the raids and the rest of the patches though!

I kinda felt Zenos did not fit in though, like he should have been wasted last expansion and just had more Fandaniel. He just walked around being combat sexual and never got to really do anything with his Reaper job it felt like. The end was kinda fun though with him bursting through and helping.

But an awesome expansion in that it wrapped up so many threads all the way from the beginning.

And the Fandaniel voice change I kinda figured was that he used Asahais or whatevers voice at first but switched to Hermes voice and got more serious instead of clowning aroun.

Last edited:

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
No joke, the intro to the last fight is just epic as fuck:

Finished it just now and it was a journey for sure. The last zone was depressing as fuck, don't see me spending much time there, much like the tempest of Shadow Bringers.

Last boss felt a bit easier than the 2nd trial but it was kinda rough going in blind. I like the expansion a lot but I think Shadowbringers is higher on the list, probably due to so Emet-Selch being a great antagonist. Might change with the raids and the rest of the patches though!

I kinda felt Zenos did not fit in though, like he should have been wasted last expansion and just had more Fandaniel. He just walked around being combat sexual and never got to really do anything with his Reaper job it felt like. The end was kinda fun though with him bursting through and helping.

But an awesome expansion in that it wrapped up so many threads all the way from the beginning.

And the Fandaniel voice change I kinda figured was that he used Asahais or whatevers voice at first but switched to Hermes voice and got more serious instead of clowning aroun.

I agree, part of me hopes that Zenos isn't gone because it felt more like he was a tag along, I kinda hope that he is attached to some MUCH bigger part in the next series. It FEEL like he will be because the dude is like us and doesn't die. As far as I am aware Fandaniel took his body because he was strong only to have him come back in another body and be like, "get out of my body.." It feels like that was either not addressed OR not utilized in his demise post final battle.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do they really expect people to farm 500 Bicolour gemstone vouchers for the mount/wings? That's 50,000 gems. 3,572 fates. For one of item. Double that if you want both.

They were talking about this on my FC last night so I checked the mount out. Yeah, fuck your shitty wivre with some bags on it. For that amount of effort I want some epic Liberace-bling-winged bastard that makes people spontaneously combust with a mixture of envy and pity.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I agree, part of me hopes that Zenos isn't gone because it felt more like he was a tag along, I kinda hope that he is attached to some MUCH bigger part in the next series. It FEEL like he will be because the dude is like us and doesn't die. As far as I am aware Fandaniel took his body because he was strong only to have him come back in another body and be like, "get out of my body.." It feels like that was either not addressed OR not utilized in his demise post final battle.
It was Edilibus, and it was somewhat adressed when we killed him. I don't think it needs to be further adressed after that, he had the super Echo kind of thing and just was stronger than Edilibus and that was basically it. Personally hope Zenos is dead, he was meh.

I think with the way the story went, they can more or less tabula rasa the power levels of the warrior of light, seeing as how there's no blessing of the light anymore and stuff(or well a weakened version since Hydaelin is dead), and go back to killing stuff at a more reasonable level.

There was a quest that actually pointed out that there were a lot more things to see in the world(Venat or Emet-Selch mentionning it I forgot) and I feel it should just go back to that kind of story, no Zenos intergalactical mega fight shit. Like we go to the New World or Meracydia and fix some war/political issues there that turn out to be some kind of semi powerful mastermind shit and that's it. They could start a full new arc but I think somewhat stand alone stories would be fine too. Kinda like Heavensward was and Stormblood minus Zenos. They ended up building towards bigger stuff but on their own they make perfect sense and were still fun as adventures go.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They were talking about this on my FC last night so I checked the mount out. Yeah, fuck your shitty wivre with some bags on it. For that amount of effort I want some epic Liberace-bling-winged bastard that makes people spontaneously combust with a mixture of envy and pity.
You can buy the vouchers on the market. It's basically a way for random ppl to farm gold, but instead of generating gold out of thin air which leads to inflation(see triple turn in leves), you just transfer the gold from the mega rich to new players. It's fine imo, these are basically a status item, similar to the stupid gold colored mount they added as a gold sink in Eulmore last expansion(gold beast tribe mounts).

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reading this thread and not clicking spoilers reminds me of clouds dialog in ff7.

!

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users