Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Goonsquad Officer
Niddhog/final steps of faith Extreme is my favourite trial in the game. His ultimate looks and sounds so good. Really sounds like he is giving his all trying to kill you pesky adventurers and is very surprised when you don't die.
i remember doing it at launch you had to use the cannons. i forget why. man it was/is so good.

Malkav

French Madman
i remember doing it at launch you had to use the cannons. i forget why. man it was/is so good.

You're mixing Steps of Faith and Final Steps of Faith.

First one is Vishap the big moving dragon with the cannons, chains and dragonkillers that released pre-Heavensward. The second one is the Nidhogg/Estinien fight that was in 3.3.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Yeah
Well, no translator this time around, so pretty pointless except for seeing ppt slides.
but some solid bullet points in the video throughout if you just skim through YT thumbnails to read the text for slides. Just don't get to know any additional elaboration they might be giving.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah

but some solid bullet points in the video throughout if you just skim through YT thumbnails to read the text for slides. Just don't get to know any additional elaboration they might be giving.

"Solid" eh. It was mostly boring stuff we already knew about. I just kept an eye on the reddit discord server which does live TL for LLs. I think the most interesting stuff was the +5 glamour plates and they are looking to expand the glam dresser again for 6.2.

Otherwise they just spend most of their time being overly specific about ARR Trusts and the Data Center visit stuff.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Something about the Omega questline continuing in Ultima Thule?

Nice that they can just add stuff onto old raids, I wonder if it'll be like how Bozja expanded on the Ivalice raids and it'll be related to the relic weapon quest chain or deep dungeon?

Ultima Thule and/or Meteion's Ultimatum would be fucking perfect for a Deep Dungeon.

Cybsled

General rundown

1) 6.1 will be mid-April - MSQ will be sort of a combo between EW epilogue and starting to hint towards the next storyline post Zodiark/Hyd. They showed a picture of Einstinien in Raz at Han, so presumably whatever Vitra had concerns about to bring him there will factor in
2) New dungeon, the new 24 man raid, new savage trial (last boss of EW), new unreal trial (Ultima), new ultimate (Dragonsong)
3) New questline about Tataru - they made sure to have her look evil in the screenshots lol
4) Hildibrand will be a mid-patch - only screenshot they showed was his legs sticking out of the ground in Lakeland on the First
5) New housing zone
6) They're adding a new quest if you beat Omega Raids and EW - will tie the stuff in Ultima Thule with that more
7) Doubling glamour slots from 400 to 800
8) Cross world travel will be implemented (so NA can visit other NA servers, not just in your data cluster)
9) The new PVP mode (supposed to be role agnostic, a payload push map with traps and shit)
10) the ARR MSQ stuff like Westwind and the MSQ Roulette is getting totally changed. Either turned into 4 man dungeons, 4 man trials, or solo fights. Preatorium getting split into 3: start->Gaius as a dungeon, Ultima as a trial, then Lalabrea as a solo fight. They're keeping MSQ roulette for now, but will change rewards
11) Some job changes (no specifics)
12) New custom deliveries - Alphi and Alisae's mom is the NPC
13) New customizable plates for your character - like when they inspect you, they see some thing you customized. Like think of Steam Profiles when you can add different backgrounds/etc
14) New Beast Tribe quest - the elephant people. They'll be dumping 'Beast' from the name and just call them Tribal Quests.
15) Additional quest if you did all the role quests in EW

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
General rundown

1) 6.1 will be mid-April - MSQ will be sort of a combo between EW epilogue and starting to hint towards the next storyline post Zodiark/Hyd. They showed a picture of Einstinien in Raz at Han, so presumably whatever Vitra had concerns about to bring him there will factor in
2) New dungeon, the new 24 man raid, new savage trial (last boss of EW), new unreal trial (Ultima), new ultimate (Dragonsong)
3) New questline about Tataru - they made sure to have her look evil in the screenshots lol
4) Hildibrand will be a mid-patch - only screenshot they showed was his legs sticking out of the ground in Lakeland on the First
5) New housing zone
6) They're adding a new quest if you beat Omega Raids and EW - will tie the stuff in Ultima Thule with that more
7) Doubling glamour slots from 400 to 800
8) Cross world travel will be implemented (so NA can visit other NA servers, not just in your data cluster)
9) The new PVP mode (supposed to be role agnostic, a payload push map with traps and shit)
10) the ARR MSQ stuff like Westwind and the MSQ Roulette is getting totally changed. Either turned into 4 man dungeons, 4 man trials, or solo fights. Preatorium getting split into 3: start->Gaius as a dungeon, Ultima as a trial, then Lalabrea as a solo fight. They're keeping MSQ roulette for now, but will change rewards
11) Some job changes (no specifics)
12) New custom deliveries - Alphi and Alisae's mom is the NPC
13) New customizable plates for your character - like when they inspect you, they see some thing you customized. Like think of Steam Profiles when you can add different backgrounds/etc
14) New Beast Tribe quest - the elephant people. They'll be dumping 'Beast' from the name and just call them Tribal Quests.
15) Additional quest if you did all the role quests in EW

No Blue Mage level increase unless it is covered by their vague "Job Changes" segment.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No Blue Mage level increase unless it is covered by their vague "Job Changes" segment.
Was somewhat expected, they have Ultimate release in 6.15 and don't want another type of content like that. 6.25 will likely be relic and possibly the new deep dungeon, so I don't see it during that either, so probably 6.35.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Week 9, 6.1 soon, and I'm at 6 books and I still don't have either weapon or chest goddamn. There's always this weird period in patches where I would quite like to raid / pf more but I don't have bis and it's annoying / I want to get some good runs too.

Also - patch April 19th and ult May 3rd? Pretty interested in how they're gonna tie the Omega stuff in, that was a good tier. Also kind of tempted to gamble on an Ishgard ward 1 large.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Here is too hoping that the Omega + Omnicron connection is not the new relics(I was really hoping they would continue on the Zodiac Weapons, being that we are in Radz finally were the original version of the weapons were made...)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
been recovering from surgery so playtime and ability to post from my phone has been somewhat limited, but ill save this thread from falling off the first page.

Just finished the final steps of faith. Someone claimed that was a good story? fun boss fight yes but story? lol.

Lets change gears here a second and talk about Guardians of the Galaxy, and the MCU in general. Not that these are pillars of story telling or anything, just popular references I believe everyone can understand.

Everyone who thinks this story is good/great or better than anything else seen in MMOs or hell any RPG (some have claimed this), tell me, how strong is Drax the Destroyer?

the movie version, played by Dave Bautista, not the comic book character. Is he human strength? superhuman? like Captain America? stronger? What does he do? other than fight with knives sometimes?

While you struggle to answer this question lets talk about tropes and character development, short cuts writers take, when they work and when they don't.

A common trope/shortcut that writers take when introducing new characters is pitting them up against a known value.

Take Thanos' introduction at the beginning of Infinity War. The audience has been shown how strong the Hulk is over several films, he's been pitted against the likes of Thor, loki & the chitauri, the hulkbuster armor, fenris, Sartur, etc. We've seen him in action. So the first time we see Thanos fight, when he single handedly defeats the Hulk without the use of the Power Stone, we get an idea of how strong Thanos is in relation to the Hulk, a known value, and thus we know how powerful Thanos is.

This is a common shortcut used in films, and is fine when you maintain consistency. Later on during the fight in End Game we again see Thanos holding his own and defeating the OG avengers, and while we may cheer when we see Cap America wielding his shield and Thor's hammer, we still know that he has little hope of besting Thanos. And he doesn't. If he did that would feel, cheap. It would be detrimental to the story and to the character if "max human strength" captain america just 1-2 punched Thano's head off.

Like when restingbitchface capt marvel shows up later on out of the blue and is able to hold her own against Thanos and he has to use the power stone to beat her. That shit was cringe girlpower and completely unearned, and it weakened the story. Yet when Wanda does the same thing, it isn't. because we've seen wanda in action. Show, don't tell.

So how strong is Drax the Destroyer? We are never shown. When the character is introduced we are told, well it's somewhat implied, he is named "The Destroyer" and he can intimidate some malnourished prisoners, but we are never really shown. The first time we get a look at his capabilities is when he is getting his shit pushed in by Ronin, which was an attempt to utilize the same trope, shortcut showing off how strong Ronin is by having him beat Drax. But we've never seen Drax in action, and thus his character is (literally, forever) ruined by the misuse of this trope.

A better question is, Is this character well written?

Think about this, you've got a "strong guy" played by a former wrestler, who shares the screen with a comedian, a wise cracking racoon, and a talking tree, yet drax ends up the comic relief? The character has been irrevocably ruined, comic relief for life.

As a medium video games (where the player takes on the part of the protagonist) are far different than films where you are just passively watching a story unfold. You must be extra careful when utilizing tropes and shortcuts like this when you are writing the story because the player is far more likely to notice and pick up on these short comings.

We've addressed this before but there is a reason why certain characters and cut scenes in video games feel "Cheap" and poorly written, like Kai Lang from ME3. Or like, the entirety of FF14 thus far.

I don't see how anyone can say this is a good story, even if you just love poorly written tropes used over and over and over again, can't get enough full on cringe?
All the Capt Marvel lolsux aside...since her movie came out before Endgame, if you actually for some reason spent the money to see it, you arguably had seen as much of her in action as we had Wanda's total screen time up to that point, no?

The rest of this is just a terrible comparison.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
All the Capt Marvel lolsux aside...since her movie came out before Endgame, if you actually for some reason spent the money to see it, you arguably had seen as much of her in action as we had Wanda's total screen time up to that point, no?

The rest of this is just a terrible comparison.
Didnt spend money no but i saw it. It was a terrible film which failed to establish her character or strength level, just straight up mary sue bullshit.

She is definitely far less established than wanda.

How is the comparison terrible? Drax was poorly written and was introduced using a trope poorly, to the point where he is now comic relief. Thanos on the otherhand was the same trope used correctly.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didnt spend money no but i saw it. It was a terrible film which failed to establish her character or strength level, just straight up mary sue bullshit.

She is definitely far less established than wanda.

How is the comparison terrible? Drax was poorly written and was introduced using a trope poorly, to the point where he is now comic relief. Thanos on the otherhand was the same trope used correctly.

Still think it was better than Thor 2, although that's the lowest of bars for me in the Marvel universe. Honestly they pretty much stated Captain Marvel's power level was uber from the get go, whereas Wanda is struggling to defend Vision from Thanos' henchmen in Infinity War, before suddenly she's owning him 1v1 in Endgame because she was mad he was like "it was Tuesday".

I meant the comparison that most characters in XIV are something like Drax (at least HW and beyond). Aside from the obvious "it's a FF story" which everyone has pointed out numerous times. There's just certain things that come with that.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Still think it was better than Thor 2, although that's the lowest of bars for me in the Marvel universe. Honestly they pretty much stated Captain Marvel's power level was uber from the get go, whereas Wanda is struggling to defend Vision from Thanos' henchmen in Infinity War, before suddenly she's owning him 1v1 in Endgame because she was mad he was like "it was Tuesday".

I meant the comparison that most characters in XIV are something like Drax (at least HW and beyond). Aside from the obvious "it's a FF story" which everyone has pointed out numerous times. There's just certain things that come with that.
Thor 2 is masterpiece of cinema next to Capt Marvel. And yes, they stated, they didn't show, she was uber, for no in-universe logical reason. Someone uses the space stone to make an spacecraft engine, it explodes next to her, and she's now the power cosmic. fucking lol. She fights jude law, a kree, which we aren't shown how powerful they are supposed to be in that film. basically she fights a dude and flies around in space. She is a mary sue. Her power was not developed or earned. She is cheap girl power.

Wanda on the other hand, unlike your shaky recollection is developed as a character and her power grows over several films. By infinity war she was holding her own vs 5 Stone Thanos while simultaneously destroying the 6th stone inside vision's head:

d6ff42a5aa40466a4da94e736b7402be.gif

Yes by End Game she is fucking Thanos (no stones) up big time, it's earned.

I brought up Drax specifically as an example of 1 trope used poorly and its ripple affect on story and character development, and how it ruined Drax as a character. Not as a direct comparison to FF14. But yes, your character, the protagonist, is completely ruined by FF14 constantly misusing that and other tropes over and over and over again. Yes, other NPCs are likewise ruined, but most of the time they don't even bother to develop any of the other characters. They are for the most part 1 dimensional random name generated quest icons, They may as well just be Giant Exclamation points without bodies. This is Main Scenario Characters btw, your "crew" which the story is centered around. Everything feels fucking cheap and unearned. Every single cut scene is Kai Lang from ME3. They are poorly written, it forces it's plot points to happen regardless of its affects on the player or the story. You may like the plot highlights, but as a story It's garbage from beginning through at least the beginning of SB (which is where I am now), and most likely through the rest of the game, simply because the foundation is so poorly laid. I was hoping they would use the time spent away from the main NPCs to actually build them up and develop them, basically retcon them in to real characters with actual personalities after the atrocity that was ARR, but so far, nope. Still 1 dimensional robots without any emotional connection or investment whatsoever.

People who say it has a "good story" I think, they mean it has a good plot? Well not plot, like a good outline? like the overall structure of the story, major milestones? In the same way anime lovers think dragonball Z has a "good" story. No, it has over the top "plot" things over and over and over again. If someone summarized the recap it may sound cool to an outsider, but the connective tissue just isn't there to piece plot points together. It's just a very poorly put together, it's missing too many key ingredients to be considered a good story. writing, dialogue, pacing, stakes, character development, etc, etc, etc.

Let me give you a simple example. early in the story you are tracking down a "merchant" who is selling villagers to the lizard folk tribes, or whatever the plot was pretty forgettable. Anyway, your character goes to a spot to ambush the merchant and the lizardfolk, you are accompanied by some great company soldiers.

Surprise he was tricking you, you are being ambushed. Wave after wave of lizard people attack you.

After you effortlessly defeat every single wave without ever dropping below 98% health, none of your npcs are even injured, you have clearly obliterated the entire tribe/species of lizardmen, you jump to a cutscene where "oh noes, we're outnumbered, we have to fall back, we're being overrun! everyone is dying. oh noes we're captured, they are going to tie us up and sacrifice us to their fire god."

WTF?

This is an instanced type area where you are deleveled to the content, it's personalized to you. It is completely disjarring how poorly this transition happens, the cut scene makes fuckall sense in terms of the gameplay you just experienced. The gameplay is 180 off of the cutscene, obviously they wanted this cutscene to happen in this way, but the cut scene doesn't even trigger until you've killed like 5 waves of lizardmen. This is poor design and ruins any story element you were going for.

If you want to beat me, then beat me. Again this is instanced, personalized content, you can do whatever you fucking want. Spawn 30 waves of 30 lizardmen. Take the fucking gloves off and have them actually deal damage. Actually overwhelm me, kill off the NPCs. have the cut scene where i'm overrun and captured trigger when the NPCs are dead and my health drops to 20% or something. Make it make sense.

This is just a small one off example, but this kind of shit happens over and over and over again. Glaring inconsistencies and plotholes abound. A good story sucks you in to a game, FF14's takes you out of it every cutscene cus some other dumb thing happens that has you rolling your eyes or shaking your head.

• 1Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users