Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
The game genuinely feels like the precursor to WoW.They're ten years behind the MMORPG timesand have inexplicably opted to revert many of the genre's fundamental features to how they were before Blizzard improved them. I can't mention a single point where FFXIV delivers to expected standards for a 2013 game. Mechanically, the game is so extremely primitive that it's almost akin to DAoC, and the content is so basic and scarce that there isn't even really enough to engage an average, three-nights-a-week progression guild. The server infrastructure is a resounding failure, the developers have done practically nothing about anything for a month now, and the class balance is Everquest-like. Their customer service is mostly non-existent, and when it isn't, it's wildly incompetent and useless anyway.

There's nothing good about this game except that it's new and came out during an MMORPG drought where everybody was craving something new. That and the fact that they at least didn't go overboard with gimmicks (e.g. GW2's no trinity nonsense) so it hasn't over-innovated, the developers simply don't seem competent enough to make a solid game. It's sluggish, unsatisfying, primitive, and they're already inviting the ire of the playerbase by doing shit like banning people for having too much money and telling the players of the most underpowered class in the game that they're all just bad and need to do more research. I predict F2P before next summer, and in a year it'll rank amongst the likes of Defiance and TERA and other games that are never mentioned in any context other than "remember how shit this was?"
While their managing of the 1017 error to idiocy of not having right click ignore is something that makes me wonder what morons run that part of the game , the part you say is a bad thing is a good thing for me and one reason I'm still playing it.

The last several years of mmo's has been shit for me , there's a crowd who'd take DAOC pre Atlantis with new graphics only ,over most of the shit that's been launched in the past several years.

I'm definitely in that crowd.

Stave

Potato del Grande
The game genuinely feels like the precursor to WoW. They're ten years behind the MMORPG times and have inexplicably opted to revert many of the genre's fundamental features to how they were before Blizzard improved them. I can't mention a single point where FFXIV delivers to expected standards for a 2013 game. Mechanically, the game is so extremely primitive that it's almost akin to DAoC, and the content is so basic and scarce that there isn't even really enough to engage an average, three-nights-a-week progression guild. The server infrastructure is a resounding failure, the developers have done practically nothing about anything for a month now, and the class balance is Everquest-like. Their customer service is mostly non-existent, and when it isn't, it's wildly incompetent and useless anyway.

There's nothing good about this game except that it's new and came out during an MMORPG drought where everybody was craving something new. That and the fact that they at least didn't go overboard with gimmicks (e.g. GW2's no trinity nonsense) so it hasn't over-innovated, the developers simply don't seem competent enough to make a solid game. It's sluggish, unsatisfying, primitive, and they're already inviting the ire of the playerbase by doing shit like banning people for having too much money and telling the players of the most underpowered class in the game that they're all just bad and need to do more research. I predict F2P before next summer, and in a year it'll rank amongst the likes of Defiance and TERA and other games that are never mentioned in any context other than "remember how shit this was?"
Yet a ton of oldschool MMOers including myself are still having a blast. Much more than any other MMO since WoW. A lot of us don't necessarily want all your WoW features. Maybe we want gameplay that harken to the EQ/DAOC era. It's nice to have that oldschool MMO feel, like a community and slower paced with actual communication, etc rather than another ADD spamfest full of elite "bros". It may not have as much content as WoW out the doors, but there is a lot of content here and a lot more coming down the pipeline.

And we get it, you have been vocally negative about this game a lot already. This game may not be your cup of tea, and hey that's cool, but to say it ranks among games like Defiance and TERA is just straight up trolling. This game is leaps and bounds ahead of those Trion/Korean garbage games. Final Fantasy has always had a big following. FFXI has way less subs and like 10 years later still isn't F2P, and Yoshi said this game was not made for F2P and will never be.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
So I don't have to scan 164 pages, does anyone have a link to a decent review from a PC players perspective? I played FFXI(very briefly and casually) so I am ok with a review that focuses on a comparison. Generally speaking is it worth playing casually? Do I need to be in a pre-set uber grind group like in XI in order to progress?
As a game yo play casually it's decent and will last a month or two. There's just not much content yet. Player base makes wow pugs look like bleeding edge progression guilds.

Not a bad pickup as long as you are fine with jumping ship once something new comes out. I'm about out of crafter's to level and once I am I kinda think I'm just going to quit or dump ,my account if I can get a few bucks for it. Good for what it is just not what I was looking for.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I don't have to scan 164 pages, does anyone have a link to a decent review from a PC players perspective? I played FFXI(very briefly and casually) so I am ok with a review that focuses on a comparison. Generally speaking is it worth playing casually? Do I need to be in a pre-set uber grind group like in XI in order to progress?
It isn't nearly as rigid as 11 where you basically need a pre-set from level 15 onward. I'm still a newbie but so far it is a pretty basic run-of-the-mill MMORPG at the moment.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
It isn't nearly as rigid as 11 where you basically need a pre-set from level 15 onward. I'm still a newbie but so far it is a pretty basic run-of-the-mill MMORPG at the moment.
It's nothing like 11 since every class is designed to solo to level cap at post wow speeds. Everything except for later turn in coil is puggable but the same way any mmo is puggable. Ass tons of wasted time thanks to retards.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yet a ton of oldschool MMOers including myself are still having a blast. Much more than any other MMO since WoW. A lot of us don't necessarily want all your WoW features. Maybe we want gameplay that harken to the EQ/DAOC era. It's nice to have that oldschool MMO feel, like a community and slower paced with actual communication, etc rather than another ADD spamfest full of elite "bros". It may not have as much content as WoW out the doors, but there is a lot of content here and a lot more coming down the pipeline.

And we get it, you have been vocally negative about this game a lot already. This game may not be your cup of tea, and hey that's cool, but to say it ranks among games like Defiance and TERA is just straight up trolling. This game is leaps and bounds ahead of those Trion/Korean garbage games. Final Fantasy has always had a big following. FFXI has way less subs and like 10 years later still isn't F2P, and Yoshi said this game was not made for F2P and will never be.
See I don't think there is anything oldschool about this game . I think there is a lot of tedium but there is nothing 'hardcore' about it. Questing is still hold your hand , pointing out exactly where to go. No death penalty, the only reason people want rezzes is laziness from not binding closer. Fate grinding is just that, grinding with zerging thrown in. I have shout on all the time and it's not like back in the day, when there was ongoing communication from people needing help. For being oldschool it does have WOW caveats, like duty finder, quest markers, etc. add the fact that I don't think the dungeons are all that creative.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
For me I feel an attachment to my character that I haven't in any MMO since EQ1. There's loads you could criticize and fates are one massive fuck up on the scale of 'Complete Heal' (they PL'ed early players through masses of content into speed running AK and it would be so much better if you had to level secondary classes through the sub 50 dungeons). But it's ok for now and I see it growing a lot. It's just the foundations for what they will release over the next few months/years.

They have spent enormous resources rebuilding the game so they will certainly spend significant sums growing it from what it is. You can't guarantee that from any other dev house.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
My goal is to make it to 25 without quitting, so let's see how that goes before I start thinking level 50.
Just man up through the onslaught of /emote quests in the beginning. It gets a bit better :p

For me it was 23$ well spent. I enjoyed leveling up and seeing the beautiful FF environments. I forgive some of the shittier elements because it's a Final Fantasy setting, your mileage may vary.

There's a ton of underused environments. One beautiful spot was full of yellow glowing crystals, beautiful waterfalls, cliffs, and whatnot, and I was only there for like 30 seconds, as that area literally had *1* quest.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Just man up through the onslaught of /emote quests in the beginning. It gets a bit better :p

For me it was 23$ well spent. I enjoyed leveling up and seeing the beautiful FF environments. I forgive some of the shittier elements because it's a Final Fantasy setting, your mileage may vary.

There's a ton of underused environments. One beautiful spot was full of yellow glowing crystals, beautiful waterfalls, cliffs, and whatnot, and I was only there for like 30 seconds, as that area literally had *1* quest.
The Burning Wall or whatever in Eastern Thanalan is a major example of a very poorly utilized area. Amazing looking location with like 2 quests. How many man hours went into making that area?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some may be future FATE bosses or primal areas, but it seems like most 40-50 areas are under utilized except for Coerthas Highlands.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
They froze everything to sort it out and not let RMT accounts move their goods/gold in the meantime. Seems reasonable enough and not that many people got banned, even though a lot of people are commenting in the threads and shit.
Can you explain what sort of corporate abuse you've previously endured that has lead you to believe having your product you prepaid for taken away on mere suspicion, pending investigation, is "reasonable" rather than "fraud"?

The game genuinely feels like the precursor to WoW. They're ten years behind the MMORPG times and have inexplicably opted to revert many of the genre's fundamental features to how they were before Blizzard improved them. I can't mention a single point where FFXIV delivers to expected standards for a 2013 game....
I predict F2P before next summer, and in a year it'll rank amongst the likes of Defiance and TERA and other games that are never mentioned in any context other than "remember how shit this was?"
I'd almost entirely agree. However, I think the degree of failure that has been achieved here - re-launch of a beloved franchise and breaking new territory in incompetent decision making - will be memorable for a long time.

FFXIV is truly a how-NOT-to book for designing and releasing an MMO, customer service, network infrastructure, public relations, server localization...

If it didn't involve designing music or graphics, Square Enix just lowered the (AAA) bar in it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can you explain what sort of corporate abuse you've previously endured that has lead you to believe having your product you prepaid for taken away on mere suspicion, pending investigation, is "reasonable" rather than "fraud"?
Welcome to MMOs? This shit is common practice, that's why they get you to sign that ToS bullshit at the start, so they have the right to do whatever they want and you can't sue them for shit. They suspended suspicious accounts. They're doing further investigation to confirm these suspicious accounts are in fact gold sellers/buyers/kidnappers/satanists. If you listen to the people who were vocal about being suspended, then sure they're innocent and it's an outrage, but we don't know that.

Shit happens all the time. Back in wow days, at some point, they decided to ban every chinese IP to fight against RMT. Obviously that caught a bunch of people who were legitimately playing from China. They had to provide proof of ID to get their accounts back. That was Blizzard. Recently stuff like the GW2 cooking exploit or the NWO duping had them mass banning people, or in the case of NWO, completely shut down all servers while they figured a solution that didn't involve a 2+days rollback. They unbanned/resumed service once it was all cleared up.

It's only a fraud if they don't compensate people who got suspended and are getting cleared with 3 days of gametime. And even then it's not really fraud because they don't guarantee 24/7 access anyway.

But eh, drama is tasty.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I'd almost entirely agree. However, I think the degree of failure that has been achieved here - re-launch of a beloved franchise and breaking new territory in incompetent decision making - will be memorable for a long time.

FFXIV is truly a how-NOT-to book for designing and releasing an MMO, customer service, network infrastructure, public relations, server localization...

If it didn't involve designing music or graphics, Square Enix just lowered the (AAA) bar in it.
The thing is that aside from their hamfisted handling of RMT and their baffling failure to provide regional servers located in their actual region, their mistakes aren't really gigantic. This isn't some Warhammer-esque disaster movie, they've simply managed to make a game that falls short on every front. Shit like having one fucking item per slot for each equipment tier... I mean, this game has got to have the smallest item pool in MMORPG history, just to name an example. I think there's less than twenty pieces of gear per slot for each class, only one dungeon per tier, no real class builds, no variety whatsoever at any point in the game. Only two classes to choose from if you want to be a tank or healer - the two roles that really need diversity in order to encourage as many people as possible to play these perpetually shortage-stricken roles - and myriad other things of that nature where you have to genuinely question whether the developers ever played an MMORPG on any more than a casual basis.

They haven't created disasters, but they've managed to stop two steps short of adequacy in every single aspect of the game. It's more surprising and bemusing in a way than shit like GW2 where the developers tried to innovate but it just didn't work out. Square-Enix opted to go with the tried and true model that had already been perfected for them, but they somehow managed to underwhelm with each and every element of gameplay, from content and general structure right down to the fundamental mechanics. It's like the entire development team just collectively phoned it in for three years. Is there a single meaningful thing (i.e. not the music) that they objectively did well?Anythingthat one can earnestly point to where FFXIV can be remembered as a front-runner? Even the biggest MMORPG failures usually did something of note, but I really can't think of anything that this game can claim to have excelled at.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This is cute. I remember my first MMO...

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
The devs have made the same stupid mistake that SWTOR and TERA did. They designed a game requiring that 25% of all group participants (outside fates) be tanks when only 5% of the population wants to play one. Result? Long queues for ANYTHING end game related while waiting on tanks to appear. Game after game makes this mistake. What gives?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Proposal:
Games should not make tanks worthless for everything except tanking.
Tank switching or damage splitting should not be a hard requirement on an encounter.
Tank switching or damage splitting should be a raid flex option in terms of how many tanks and healers are required on an encounter.

Valos

The devs have made the same stupid mistake that SWTOR and TERA did. They designed a game requiring that 25% of all group participants (outside fates) be tanks when only 5% of the population wants to play one. Result? Long queues for ANYTHING end game related while waiting on tanks to appear. Game after game makes this mistake. What gives?
GW2 didnt require the holy trinity. And everyone bitched.

WageSlave

GW2 didnt require the holy trinity. And everyone bitched.
I'm not saying abandon the trinity. I'm saying tune it better. Changing typical 4 man group content to 6 man group content requiring 1 tank, 1 heals, and 4dps would theoretically cut the queue time for dps in half. Its just math. And with population number being what they are, no 8 man group should need more than 1 tank either. This is more complex to tune though as this game loves off tank mechanics.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Proposal:
Games should not make tanks worthless for everything except tanking.
Tank switching or damage splitting should not be a hard requirement on an encounter.
Tank switching or damage splitting should be a raid flex option in terms of how many tanks and healers are required on an encounter.
They should have made 6 man parties, I agree, but it really wouldn't have helped a whole lot. I really don't think there will ever be a solution to this, in any game. It's not that people don't play tanks because they aren't fun or can't do anything else, because in WoW, for a while my prot warrior did more dps than most dps classes, and could rapeface anyone in 1v1 pvp and in BG's. It honestly just boils down to people don't want the responsibility. Most people like semi-afk dps tunnel visioning through dungeons. It's easy, and you can tune your brain out and do it. I don't think any fun or overpowered tank mechanics in any game will ever trump this fact. That and the fact that even though every group requires 1 tank, most raids require at most 2 tanks. So even if you get a lot of tank classes, then a lot can't raid unless they can beat out the 50 other tanks who want to tank.