Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You don't need DR for it to scale back. It's just what percentage of 20 int is relative to the rest of your stats and your weapon damage. The % based abilities in blood for blood/internal release will always increase by a flat percentage and thus perfectly scale/stack with any weapon/gear upgrades. It's not just the Allagan gear either. Buffs like 20% damage mean more raw damage (relative to 20 int) when being used on a 69 damage weapon as opposed to a 63 damage weapon.

I don't think you can come up with a scenario where its better to be BLM over THM given Allagan gear. 20 int just isn't worth that much at that point.
I was under the impression that int actually scales in a percentage form rather than some flat number (e.g 1 int = .5 dmg), while weapon damage gives flat damage. I'll do testing later on to see if this is the case.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Napkin Theory Crafting"

If you think even on a face value that 20ish int needs to be tested vs 2 of the most powerful buffs in the game, you are on crack.
Yet you have no proof, no numbers, its pure theory atm.

Not to mention it would take you to be fully geared in full allagan to even check. Which btw would suck because your accuracy would blow as a full Allagan set is missing a lot of acc, you have to mix and match to really get the acc you need for top end content and the myth stuff is BLM only(which also have to count the stats lost from not taking the myth stone ring since rings are unique and you would have to use darklight + allagan, in full allagan).

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Protoss what does 20 int give you as an extra stat?

for instance mind by itself doesnt effect WHM healing that much, but it sets the healing potency score.
Healing potency gives a shitload of healing.

So when you take out 20 int are you losing an even more important stat?
I'm not sure why you'd treat mind/int's effect on spell potency as some sort of separate modifier. It's inherent in what they provide as a stat. Internal Release/Blood for Blood stack on top of the finished weapon damage + main stat calculations however, meaning that their potency is far more effective with better weapons/gear (to the point that thinking 20 int would be better is laughable).

Yet you have no proof, no numbers, its pure theory atm.
Creationists denying evolution like to use this same argument when dealing with overwhelming evidence. Bravo.

Not to mention it would take you to be fully geared in full allagan to even check. Which btw would suck because your accuracy would blow as a full Allagan set is missing a lot of acc, you have to mix and match to really get the acc you need for top end content and the myth stuff is BLM only(which also have to count the stats lost from not taking the myth stone ring since rings are unique and you would have to use darklight + allagan, in full allagan).
Yeah. You haven't done your research on this shit at all, and it shows.

Allagan Scepter - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database- provides 26 accuracy.

Ancient Buckler - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database- provides 11 accuracy

Lava Toad Legs - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database- provides 27 accuracy

Not even sure the legs would be needed, but the combination of the 3 provides exactly the same amount of accuracy that the full BLM myth set does. So no, you wouldn't have to mix and match at all. You also wouldn't have to wear any darklight jewelry, because none of the myth jewelry (or belt) has a class restriction.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure why you'd treat mind/int's effect on spell potency as some sort of separate modifier. It's inherent in what they provide as a stat. Internal Release/Blood for Blood stack on top of the finished weapon damage + main stat calculations however, meaning that their potency is far more effective with better weapons/gear (to the point that thinking 20 int would be better is laughable).

Creationists denying evolution like to use this same argument when dealing with overwhelming evidence. Bravo.

Yeah. You haven't done your research on this shit at all, and it shows.

Allagan Scepter - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database- provides 26 accuracy.

Ancient Buckler - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database- provides 11 accuracy

Lava Toad Legs - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database- provides 27 accuracy

Not even sure the legs would be needed, but the combination of the 3 provides exactly the same amount of accuracy that the full BLM myth set does. So no, you wouldn't have to mix and match at all. You also wouldn't have to wear any darklight jewelry, because none of the myth jewelry (or belt) has a class restriction.
Again its just pure theorycrafting.

Example I have 112 acc atm from gear alone, have a total of 453(still about 20ish from cap).

Full allagan only gives 103 from gear.

Now there is some other stat or something giving the extra Acc to make the jump from gear => stat, but no clue what it is, its not int, because you can take a peice off and you just lose the Acc stat only. So i assume its static and doesn't' change.

Now to add food, your lava leg leg is a dumb choice, because its 3% to get the 27, which takes a monstrous 730ish accuracy to gain(and if we do 3% of say 444, 9 less then what I have now based on full allagan Acc, its only 13 Acc, so still a bad choice no matter what) . No the food you use is the cabbage which gives 17 accuracy and only takes 420ish to get that max. So we have 444 Acc(my current acc minus the 9 Acc from going full allagan) + 17, so 461(still 10ish from the supposed cap, which is reported to be around 470-475).

Whereas I could mix and match gear I could get 152 Acc from gear, which would give me 493 Acc, about 20 over cap, so I can now either drop a gear peice or two and pick up dps stats and I can also use DPS food like buttons in a blanket etc.

Again its all pure theory because there are no solid numbers to back it up and I'm not dumb to make a statement like ,will full Allagan THM is top dps in the game, as fact without it.

Ability wise I am not sure, I guess it depends on future content, but atm I do use flare, convert, manawall and apoc.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
ok, not that anyone gives a shit of my opinion but here is what i found:

-If you like the FF theme and style, you will like the story and style here too. Subjectively I really enjoyed the artwork, animations, and overall graphics. Plus it runs on my 4+ year old piece of shit computer and still looks decent!
-Holy crap they need to balance out fates and/or reduce overall xp from them. Just by bumping into a few as I ran around question I way fucking outleveled the area. I suppose as you get higher and leveling generally slows down this may not be as much of an issue, but as other threads on this board say, it's pretty much the only way to really xp. I've only done a few duties(dungeons?) so far but I wish they would increase xp there and make it viable beyond the first pass bonus.
-Easy to solo and run around, quests are fairly interesting. There are a few run around and do kill rats quests, but not terrible. The story ones have a decent story to them and it is fairly interesting and smooth to progress.
-I must be getting old because I fucking hate when stats are just numbers with a saying like "increases healing spells". Fucking tell me what the fuck it does. The days of theorycrafting and guessing are over. It makes it really hard to choose between gear and it's just flat out annoying for no real reason.
-I hate to use EQ as a reference, because it had a shitload of problems but it is a bit frustrating that all modern MMO's are basically single player games where you can occasionally group up for a dungeon. In a way I am sorta looking forward to EQNext with no levels, log on to some giant chat room and then join people for a quest or dungeon, ala NWNOnline. I think I'm ready for some MMO that is just a lobby where you queue for dungeons, levels or not. I am sick of grinding out shit solo in an online game. Downside being that if the game is not popular you are fucked, but whatever.

Some little tips for people(true noobs to the game):
-Interact with all of the crystal things, I avoided them because I didn't want to "rebind", but it turns out as you touch them all you can use them to fucking port around for pennies on the dollar. Maybe it said that in the quest text and I just blasted through
-If you want to use a mouse you cannot use full screen mode(someone correct me if I am wrong here but I had to window the game or my mouse kept vanishing). I did find a legit thread complaining about this on their forums and google provided no fix unless my search words suck ass
-I wouldn't buy it at 59.99, but i found it for 25$ and it was worth it, I will probably get 2-3 months out of it or something, maybe level up a few classes or whatever.

I am on the Marlboro server if anyone wants to friend up, playing a arcanist headed towards healer atm. Name is Niniya

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I loved FFXI and I played it for many years. I desperately wanted to get into FF14 and I played up to around level 31/32 before allowing my free time to end my time in-game. I recently tried out the 7 day free pass thing from WoW to try out the new 5.4 content along with some comparing the two games in terms of combat etc. While 5.4 is good or whatever, the one thing that stuck out to me is how much I enjoyed the fluid combat in WoW and how I feel like it's missing from FF14. In WoW, as a healer (most of the time), I could run and be apart of the group rather than standing off to the side and spamming my heal ability. I could run, toss a splash heal, a shield/bubble and still be in the flow of the combat. For me, I think FF is missing that component of group play and combat. I didn't realize it until I went back to WoW and compared the two.

Also, I agree with Spronk in terms of needed changes.
Yep, playing WoW for the first time in years and it feels really good compared to the last few MMOs I've touched.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
While talking about random tips:

- You can click the main cities huge aethernet crystal, and teleport around that way, just pick the top option. For the longest time I ran around looking for the smaller ones to teleport me where I wanted to go ;\ I R not smart

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
If you've got a character on a locked creation server, and you delete that character, can you remake on that server?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you want a vase in a locked room, does destroying a different vase in your current room open the lock?

Tenks

I can't believe that according to reddit "Mez" is no longer the accepted MMO term for using a crowd control spell. What world am I living in where everyone doesn't use mez?!

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
ok, why do they wait until I am level 16 or whatever to give me the damn "Recommended shit in my area" window? Shouldn't that be at level 1?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
If you've got a character on a locked creation server, and you delete that character, can you remake on that server?
I could not at release. Don't do it :p Hell I don't even think you can create an alt on a locked server.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
ok, why do they wait until I am level 16 or whatever to give me the damn "Recommended shit in my area" window? Shouldn't that be at level 1?
There's a ton of handholding until 10, and most of that lasts until 15 (read: 30 w/ story quest). At 15/16 you can do your first dungeon.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I can't believe that according to reddit "Mez" is no longer the accepted MMO term for using a crowd control spell. What world am I living in where everyone doesn't use mez?!
No, dude. It's "sheep" now, right?

Or wait, it's "sap", no?

/duck

Tenks

What is it now, sleep?
Apparently using the name of the spell or just "CC." I honestly thought everyone in every MMO used mez. I don't like the term CC because I feel CC encompasses both mez spells and roots (and a lesser extent snares.) I know generally when you say "CC that target" if a druid has a root and an enchanter has a mez it is getting mezzed instead of rooted but still. I prefer mez!