Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

axeman_sl

shitlord
the difficulty progression is probably the most well tuned I've seen in a game, starting from Garuda Hm onwards.
Well, after Garuda there's just Titan and then Coil so it's not as if there's a long series of content blocks to tune. Quite easy to get a good "difficulty progression" when there's almost no content.

Vinen

God is dead
The endgame is sparse but I find the 8man fight very well designed and the difficulty progression is probably the most well tuned I've seen in a game, starting from Garuda Hm onwards.
They definitely are off on the quantity/quality balance tho. And the fck melee vibe , which has a rich history in mmo raiding, is definitely honored here
How is the fuck melee vibe honed outside of Phase 4 Twintania?

There is plenty of you are not a Bard or Black Mage to go around.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Having multiple melee dps on T2 makes dealing with the rot more complicated but in general endgame in FFXIV seems more melee friendly than most MMOs.

Libra_sl

shitlord
This is available onAmazon digital download for $14.99andGamefly digital download for $11.99after using the promo code listed on the page.

I was thinking about giving it a try at such a cheap price and seeing how I fair for the free month, but is it even worth that price to check it out? How is this title for a casual player? Can I get by solo? If so, what's a good solo class?

Edit: Didn't realize there was a subforum and all of my questions are pretty much already answered there.
smile.png

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Every class can solo, story stuff requires you to use duty finder or group at certain parts. For casual players, there is more then enough content for a month of free play. 12-15 bucks is a great price to give it a try. You might even like it!

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
I'm interested to see how much the game will retail for on the PS4. I'm currently playing it on the PS3 but if they follow the pricing model of most of the PS4 games in England and set it at ?50 ($82) I can see a bunch of people shaking their heads and walking away.

Valos

Pretty sure if you buy a PS3 copy of it now, you're all set for the PS4. Of course you'll lose access to playing that account on PS3 in the future, but you'd really not want to keep playing on that platform if you have PS4 anyways.

I doubt they will go full price on it, and just sell the game for the same price.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Yep you have to register on 4 different sites then link them all together then get hacked and go through a 3 month account recovery process

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Reinheart Translations! 2.1 and 2.2

thisclose to throwing my towel.
Okay guys...I read the Japanese again....For those that can read...Here it is.
??12???????????????????????50%???????????????????? ???????????????????? ?? ????8???????????????????????????????NEED?GREED?PAS S????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????NEED?GREED??????????????????????????????? ?????????????1???1?????????????????????????? ????? ?????????????PASS????????
?? ???NEED?GREED????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????NEED???????
The most important part is the last statement. He says that we can get one drop per week from CT or just keep passing...and wait until we get a chance at a drop. BUT even if you lose when you need or greed you can still keep running CT until you finally win ONE drop per week...THEN you will be locked out. So you will fight RNG but at least you can keep fighting the bosses over and over again until you win a drop, then you will be locked out.

TL;DR Infinite attempts at CT bosses each week, fight RNG and compete with rolls against others until you finally win a drop then get locked out for the week

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One item max per week does suck, but you get to choose which item since a full clear drops 4 for your specific party of 8. If you don't like any of them, run it again.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
One item max per week does suck, but you get to choose which item since a full clear drops 4 for your specific party of 8. If you don't like any of them, run it again.
That's not the issue I see with it. Most Linkshells have 1 or 2 dedicated and geared tanks. As soon as they win a piece of gear they're locked out for a week. If they choose to pass in order to keep raiding then the healers and DD will get some loot and subsequently be locked out as well.

At first glance it seems to be a pretty fucking idiotic mechanic.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
That's not the issue I see with it. Most Linkshells have 1 or 2 dedicated and geared tanks. As soon as they win a piece of gear they're locked out for a week. If they choose to pass in order to keep raiding then the healers and DD will get some loot and subsequently be locked out as well.

At first glance it seems to be a pretty fucking idiotic mechanic.
Have they confirmed that you get locked out of the instance itself and not just locked out from getting loot? That does seem like a really huge problem.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They specifically stated the opposite, the only lockout is on loot. Also I believe you have to clear all three Extreme primals to get one piece of loot (heard it was accessories) as well.

Valos

Once a week on the ilvl 90 weapon choice for the extreme primals, accessories are just a bonus from the chests to make it more worthwhile to run.

And you can run CT as often as you want, you just get 1 loot per week. 4 bosses on the first floor of CT.

spronk

FPS noob
ffxiv is 50% off on the PS+ store till Dec 31st
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...00010000000000

and apparently if you are a PS4 user you will get the upgrade for free if you own the ps3 version. If anyone buys the link above and has been a PC player, post here if you get a free month of the game or not. Might be worth it if $10 gets you ps3/ps4 and a free month, since thats all you will probably need to see the new patch stuff in 2 weeks.