Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Looking for a quick reply if possible:

Thinking about buying this, is it worth playing and is there a rerolled guild? Thinking that I'm probably going to be locked up in Europe.
Right now, no company is putting more content into their MMO than Square Enix. No one. There is so much that diversity in it that you're bound to like something.

They just released Frontlines for PvP and while it's nowhere near as great as PVP from say, DAoC it's a nice breakup (tri=factioned). There is more crafting content in this game than any other MMO, period. That's just a fact and they keep expanding on it.

The game is PvE based so if you're into that, they have the best animations in the business and it doesn't make your cards scream like WildStar even though it's far more better looking. Housing is in the game if you're into that (a personal room atm, but personal housing is rumored around 3.something something), there is an immense amount of raiding, a very vigorous and healthy gear grind for whatever gear you want (couple different ways to go about raid gear) and more side activities than you can imagine (hunts, FATEs, puzzles, minigames, scavenger type hunts, etc).

Probably should look at their most recent patch notes 2.3hereso you can see what I'm talking about. Realize that's all new content in addition to everything they had before and the commitment that company has expressed about that game's future. All this and they haven't even expanded into Japan yet which, if GW2's recent sales say anything (about 3.6 million) means the game is definitely worth buying but you have to figure out if you like it's style or not since it's very old school combat, not the new hotness of action-y dodge/roll til you drop.

Can't answer about the Rerolled guild. I have another guild altogether I've been playing instead. Rerolled guilds are... sketchy... never know how long they'll stick around.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Played hard all weekend. Really liking what they've done with the game since 2.0. Have a 50 bard but I'm leveling a lancer this time. How do the Dragoon boys do at 50?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks! I meant region locked, not prison. I signed up and was able to make a character on Gilgamesh - is there still a rerolled guild?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Played hard all weekend. Really liking what they've done with the game since 2.0. Have a 50 bard but I'm leveling a lancer this time. How do the Dragoon boys do at 50?
When I was playing in 2.0 I was able to be top DPS in every party I was in or pushing with in a couple percent of top dps. I'm not sure what has changed in gear but they were contenders in the DPS race. I found my Dragoon to be kind of boring most the time though as their rotation is pretty set and pushing button a and then button b and then button c is the way of life.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Funny enough most goons are awful, can't do that, and get the class a bad rep. Good goons are awesome DPS but bads are abundant because they look cool.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
These guys have real content cycles. Like, in a way that I have not really seen in 15 years of mmo'ing, and put other sub requiring games to shame. Now it's possible this is all a temporary boon from unfinished content being polished and sent out post-release, as well as rehashed stuff from the original game( never got far in that), but if they keep this up long term it should set a real precedent on pushing out stuff to do in mmo's. now if they'd only stop completely trivializing the prior patch or two patches ago content with every push, it would be even nicer so people aren't just left with 'grind the same 5% of the game over and over ' and ignore the reams of other now-rotting post -50 stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll probably resub next major patch when they add Ninja and be one of the thousands of people playing Ninjas or whatever. Maybe I'll actually level MRD/WAR instead so I get fast queues and level ninja later not sure. Looking forward to all the content that's been added but I don't really feel like playing just yet. They're definitely adding a lot of shit though and patch frequency seems pretty regular other than the first major patch after launch which took like 2months longer due to reasons or something. Every month there seem to be a smaller patch with a few things and every 3months a major patch with new raids and dungeons.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Tried really hard to enjoy Wildstar but couldn't, decided to give this a go and have enjoyed it so far. Not too grindy, solid animations, and nice PQ stuff.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I'll probably resub next major patch when they add Ninja and be one of the thousands of people playing Ninjas or whatever. Maybe I'll actually level MRD/WAR instead so I get fast queues and level ninja later not sure. Looking forward to all the content that's been added but I don't really feel like playing just yet. They're definitely adding a lot of shit though and patch frequency seems pretty regular other than the first major patch after launch which took like 2months longer due to reasons or something. Every month there seem to be a smaller patch with a few things and every 3months a major patch with new raids and dungeons.
You should come back now, I think you'd really enjoy it. They've added tiers to everything from crafting and gathering to hard mode dungeons and raids. The group finder is probably the best in any MMO and combined with the class system there is just masses to do. And if you're going to level a tank you will need to know the dungeons and bosses first anyways.

First thing folks will want to do is open up the dailies for end game gear currency bonuses. It was actually difficult to find the info on what to do to achieve this online. For hard mode random dungeon you need to do all of the dungeons it includes first once (except the ilvl 70s), though you can do them all from the duty finder. You'll need to open up each one first - click on the dungeon links on the following page to check out where each NPC is :Dungeons - Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Wiki - FFXIV / FF14 ARR Community Wiki and Guide

For queuing for the Crystal Tower raid you need to do the quest chain starting with :Legacy of Allag - Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) wikiOnce CT is unlocked it leads on to the new end game raid unlock for Syrcus Tower :For Prosperity - Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) wiki

For unlocking the 2.1 content there's a good list here :Unlocking 2.1 Content s Corner

General tips for Crystal Tower :Tips for New Players to Crystal Tower/Labyrinth of the Ancients : ffxiv

For master recipes books for crafting :FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone | Kernel Panic Blog Entry "Prices for Master Recipe Books Tools"

For new higher level crafting tools you need to first do :Just Tooling Around - Gamer Escape's Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) wikithen gather/make some high lvl items

New crafting head gearArtisan's Spectacles - Item - Final Fantasy XIV : A Realm Reborn (FFXIV ARR) Database

Gear Calculator gives a decent idea of where tiered gear is at now :FFXIV Gear CalculatorEnd game gear :FFXIV - Loot List 2.3

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Tried really hard to enjoy Wildstar but couldn't, decided to give this a go and have enjoyed it so far. Not too grindy, solid animations, and nice PQ stuff.
Kind of in the same boat, hit 50 on my esper and just not really enjoying the class/grinding dailies/being frustrated in dungeons...I'm far too casual I guess. Tempted to go back to FFXIV and finish getting classes to 50(only have lancer left) and try some of the new content i've missed.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
If only they upped GCD's abit I'd probably give it another try but god damn that killed me, especially in PVP. Glad to see they continue to add content, I just kind of hate the idea of everyone being able to be every class (its a great idea I just personally don't enjoy it, if anything I rather see them make it so you can like pick 3 classes tops or something or quest to open up to 3 yada yada. Again, super concept for the general player base, just against my niche idea on design mechanics for things I enjoy).

Think I have 3 characters rotting away, max level monk char, warrior, and my main BLM. So much work put in, sad to see things like that collect dust lol (had 3 characters to maximize weekly quests etc and be able to fill multiple roles in raids or help other raid groups). I did enjoy BLM play style and it was by far the best class for kind of hiding the horrible GCD

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
If only they upped GCD's abit I'd probably give it another try but god damn that killed me, especially in PVP. Glad to see they continue to add content, I just kind of hate the idea of everyone being able to be every class (its a great idea I just personally don't enjoy it, if anything I rather see them make it so you can like pick 3 classes tops or something or quest to open up to 3 yada yada. Again, super concept for the general player base, just against my niche idea on design mechanics for things I enjoy).

Think I have 3 characters rotting away, max level monk char, warrior, and my main BLM. So much work put in, sad to see things like that collect dust lol (had 3 characters to maximize weekly quests etc and be able to fill multiple roles in raids or help other raid groups). I did enjoy BLM play style and it was by far the best class for kind of hiding the horrible GCD
After playing Wildstar a bit and coming back to XIV for the first time in 6 months I am enjoying the GCD. It took a bit of getting used to but I think theres some merit in not pressing a key every single moment. XIV is a bit more relaxing. That said I'm casual these days and clearly you're... not. I still haven't capped a job because nothing has really stuck. We'll see how my WHM ends up. Currently level 26. The amount of content, especially small group content makes the game incredibly appealing for a casual. I've just gotta press on to the end game. It seems like there is enough there plus whats coming down the pipe to make a nice home for a long time if you dig the game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Meh, same weekend as the International, fuck that. It's the same for Archeage beta too. Hope they run those often, I mentionned before in a F2P vs sub discussion but I wish sub games had more incentives for people to test the game again without paying the sub. One time only "play 3days for free anytime you want" until you resub with a 2+months limit from the last sub expiring, so you can't chain it or whatever, basically, don't play for 2months, you can reactivate for 3days anytime you want, but then it never reset until you resub for a month at which point 2months after your sub it's reset. Or just running free weekends every month or so, that'd work out kinda too, just wish it'd let you decide when you want to start again.

Maybe I can get some time on monday after the grand finals.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For this free to play weekend. I had a PC account, so I assume I can only login to the PC client?

My wife had a PS3 account, does she need to purchase the game separately to login on the PS4 client or is there an upgrade path? How much is it?

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
For this free to play weekend. I had a PC account, so I assume I can only login to the PC client?

My wife had a PS3 account, does she need to purchase the game separately to login on the PS4 client or is there an upgrade path? How much is it?
If you bought the PC client, yes you can only log in through the PC.

If your wife has it on PS3, go to account management under her account name and there is a button that says like "convert ps3 to ps4".

Sarg_sl

shitlord
An error has occurred.
Please confirm the status of any relevant options and then try again.
For details, please contact the Square Enix Support Center.
(Error code: 406)

Shitty account management strikes again! anyone have any ideas what might be screwed up here? the Square Enix Support Center was pretty worthless.