Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Argarth

On the verandah
You'd be right if it had servers that weren't in fucking canada along with its god fucking awful net code. The game is nearly vanguard levels of unplayable at times due to these facts. I might be able to forgive the canada part if they fix their fucking net code.
Agreed, I stopped playing a few weeks ago, and even after trialing a WTFast connection, (I'm in Australia, yeah neg me some more assholes) I was never able to get a ping much below 320 ms, with large spikes commonplace. I've since gone back to WoW, and constant 180 ms both ways just like I've had for years. Plays as smooth as butter even with "twitchy" classes. The difference is like night and day, and for that reason alone doubt I'll ever be back.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Agreed, I stopped playing a few weeks ago, and even after trailing a WTFast connection, (I'm in Australia, yeah neg me some more assholes) I was never able to get a ping much below 320 ms, with large spikes commonplace. I've since gone back to WoW, and constant 180 ms both ways just like I've had for years. Plays as smooth as butter even with "twitchy" classes. The difference is like night and day, and for that reason alone doubt I'll ever be back.
Damn you got all of your negs for this.

Stave

Potato del Grande
You'd be right if it had servers that weren't in fucking canada along with its god fucking awful net code. The game is nearly vanguard levels of unplayable at times due to these facts. I might be able to forgive the canada part if they fix their fucking net code.
Granted I live in the midwest, but are you sure it's not your internet connection? I have never had any problems with netcode or latency other than the first week after launch when servers were a mess. Unless you are talking about the telegraphs in which case that is more due to poorly synced timing between animation vs when the telegraph disappears. Biggest thing I've learned is don't trust the telegraph's timing. When the casting bar finishes (not the animation) if you are still in the telegraph or the spot where the telegraph was, you will get hit. It's always when the casting bar ends that counts.

Argarth

On the verandah
Damn you got all of your negs for this.
Of course just got another one, made me chuckle but that shit is 30 years out of date =)

"Gday mate, strewth I cant belive those drongos give you high ping down in straya. At least you can crack open a fosters and have a barbie with your sheila."

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is it possible to reinstall the game without having an active (paid) account? Can't find that information anywhere.
Through steam I think it is, maybe. Other than that, you can make a trial account and download with that. Can't download through the launcher without an active sub.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Patch 2.4 on October 28th.

rrr_img_79379.jpg

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Patch 2.4 on October 28th.
Includes things such as:

- Higher Atma drop rate.
- Cheaper Animus books.
- Second Coil lockout lifted (8 player queue required initially)
- Turn 2-2/7 will be a little more forgiving later on, depending on player completion %s. (They specifically mentioned Petrification will be non-lethal on next hit.)

Stave

Potato del Grande
Includes things such as:

- Higher Atma drop rate.
- Cheaper Animus books.
- Turn 2-2/7 will be a little more forgiving later on, depending on player completion %s. (They specifically mentioned Petrification will be non-lethal on next hit.)
And best of all.... NINJA!

dazwin

Molten Core Raider
How's the game looking pre-2.4? I left a few months after 2.0 (not sure exactly when...Titan HM and Coil seemed to be the thing then).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How's the game looking pre-2.4? I left a few months after 2.0 (not sure exactly when...Titan HM and Coil seemed to be the thing then).
Well there's a lot of stuff to do and 2.4 comes out next week. They release quite a lot of content, though depending on your tastes there might not be that much but great game to sub for like a month or two, do all the content, then take a break for 4-6months and so on.

Since 2.0 well, 1 new coil(and another next week), 2 new 24man raids, 3(soon 4) new primals, like 12dungeons, bunch of story quests, bunch of solid sidequests series, glamour(item appearance copying), one PvP battleground and one arena(though the arena is not played much anymore and pvp in this game is meh) and a ton of other smaller features like beastmen daillies, retainer ventures, chocobo coloring and training(currently only xp increase), treasure maps, relic quest upgrades and so on.

Libra_sl

shitlord
Got my Monk to level 50 last week and have been enjoying dabbling with other classes and doing some trade skills. I took my time leveling and I read every quest including the side quests to collect 5 bear asses but it was still a lot of fun. I didn't keep up on my Grand Company ranking like I probably should have so now that I'm 50 I'm still working on moving into the last rank of enlisted (Sergeant 1st Class to Chief Sergeant I think). Once that's done I've got to rank into the first Officer so I can unlock Hunts.

There's a ton of stuff to do once you hit 50 as well. Quests have popped up everywhere so there's no shortage of things to do or work on. I've been using this reddit post to guide me and it's a pretty good overview of progression it seems:So You Just Hit Level 50 in Patch 2.3. I've been working on my relic weapon quest line and it's a lot of fun -- big quest too and I hear you can upgrade the relic weapon later to higher tiers. I think I've still got to do Amdapor Keep and then three Primal hard modes.

I can understand how people might not like the combat because it feels slower paced because of the GCD but I actually like it. It's got a deliberate, methodical flow to combat which actually reminds me somewhat of combat in LOTRO which I also liked, but I know a lot of people hated. It's definitely much slower paced than most games, especially at the lower levels, but I noticed that the higher you get (at least with my Monk) you start getting a good amount of abilities to use and cooldowns to pop in certain situations, so it's not like you're only hitting 3 different buttons later on like it sometimes is at the lower levels.

The graphics, sound and music are top-notch as has been said a million times already. I wish that there was more VOs for the quest dialog but it's not a big deal.

I also really like that you can use a gamepad to play this. Sometimes when I'm just doing solo questing I'll switch it to gamepad and it feels really relaxing. Also, since it supports a gamepad, this is the first MMO I've ever been able to get my wife to try and she is enjoying it as well but it's slow going for her as she has never played an MMO before -- there's lots for her to learn.

When I first started I was concerned that the game may have been dying as it seems like subscription MMOs aren't doing that well anymore, but my fears were put to rest. I'm playing on the Exodus server (US) and there are people everywhere. The lower level zones are not packed all the time, but there's always a decent number of lowbies and vets leveling new jobs running around doing quests and fates. The towns are always packed full of people (more Limsa Lominsa and Gridania than Ul'dah) and places like Mor Dhona are crawling with high level people everywhere.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this game and I'm glad I gave the free trial a shot. I've still got a TON of stuff to do and if I get bored playing my Monk it's as easy as using the gear set list to switch to a completely new class.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Ran into Hollywood Hogan today during Titan Ex!

rrr_img_79448.jpg

Edit: Didn't want to subject FC folks to the FSR, so put this here.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Includes things such as:

- Higher Atma drop rate.
- Cheaper Animus books.
Man progression for that petrification mob was hilarious, people froze the raid for 2 hours nonstop before they got it down. I can only imagine pugs trying to do all of that kiting.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I can understand how people might not like the combat because it feels slower paced because of the GCD but I actually like it. It's got a deliberate, methodical flow to combat which actually reminds me somewhat of combat in LOTRO which I also liked, but I know a lot of people hated. It's definitely much slower paced than most games, especially at the lower levels, but I noticed that the higher you get (at least with my Monk) you start getting a good amount of abilities to use and cooldowns to pop in certain situations, so it's not like you're only hitting 3 different buttons later on like it sometimes is at the lower levels.
The more newer mmos switch to the 'action combat' type of play, the more unique this slower pace type of combat will be. As you said it may not be for everyone, but for people who prefer this type of combat in a fresh look with the games that currently offer it, the pickings as far as perceived value aren't really that good. Every other one (except WoW) is some sort of F2P hybrid which leads to quality problems.

I'd say the worst thing people complain about in FFXIV is lag for some people depending on locale, but it's the only MMOs on the market today that you won't hear tons of players complaining about legions of bugs, broken quests or skills not working properly. I'd put SE's quality control above even Blizzard at it's heyday, and that's saying something nowadays when you look at everything else out. Couple that with regular, meaty patches with real content to be played (not shit you do in three days and done) and this expansion with 'slow boring combat' doesn't look as unappealing as 'fast buggy fun' action/dodge combat.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
The worst thing I found about FFXIV was gearing up being essentially joining zergs to kill overworld boring as shit mobs instead of doing dungeons to do raids. Garbage.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The worst thing I found about FFXIV was gearing up being essentially joining zergs to kill overworld boring as shit mobs instead of doing dungeons to do raids. Garbage.
I have done about 5 Hunt mob zerg groups since they started that before swearing them off completely. I'm with you; I thought/think it's an enormous bore with no fun attached to it at all. Kind of hard to explain but it feels like SE wanted to put what was one of the main activities for groups to do in FFXI (dragon/WB hunting), into some kind of 'everyone wins!' scenario instead of locking people out of it.

The activity so pales by comparision it's not even funny. People use it to gear up but I found it's easy enough to gear up without that mess and needing additional LS channels. Between the weekly ST, HMs and Coils any static group would have (stopped primals too... got boring), that was plenty for me to gear up at a decent pace. That running to/fro stuff was just too sleep inducing, especially when you get there in less than a minute and it was already dead because one guy shot tagged it and everyone then went all NYPD/Amadou Diallo on it afterwards.

In FFXI even if you had a few people find/claim a WB, often times you sat around and laughed while watching them try to keep it claimed until the rest of their Linkshell showed up to heal and tank it.