Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Also I wanted to play Cerberus or Spriggan, but it won't let me
The allowed/locked servers flip-flop according to server load. Only the two least loaded servers allow new characters when everything is full. This is disregarding even any preferred servers.

You have to bite the bullet and create a character early morning at around 7 am or so.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The allowed/locked servers flip-flop according to server load. Only the two least loaded servers allow new characters when everything is full. This is disregarding even any preferred servers.

You have to bite the bullet and create a character early morning at around 7 am or so.

Well that's easy. So you're telling me it changes throughout the day? Or is there a chance my target will never be in the bottom 2? I can definitely find the time to create a character on Spriggan than. 7am what time zone though? 7am ish local time based on server?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Well that's easy. So you're telling me it changes throughout the day? Or is there a chance my target will never be in the bottom 2? I can definitely find the time to create a character on Spriggan than. 7am what time zone though? 7am ish local time based on server?
I think it cycles every 5 minutes or so, although it is based on server load, so if a server is constantly loaded (relative to the others) you won't have any luck. The status page for the servers lags a bit behind.

There is a "reload status" button on the character creation world selection, but that also has a cooldown of a few minutes.

The first time I tried to create a character Spriggan was unlocked, I selected my character appearance and once I was on the world selection page, the server was locked again. So your best bet is to pre-create your character appearance, save it and then click through once the server is unlocked.

Good luck!

EDIT: 7am is local time

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I think it cycles every 5 minutes or so, although it is based on server load, so if a server is constantly loaded (relative to the others) you won't have any luck. The status page for the servers lags a bit behind.

There is a "reload status" button on the character creation world selection, but that also has a cooldown of a few minutes.

The first time I tried to create a character Spriggan was unlocked, I selected my character appearance and once I was on the world selection page, the server was locked again. So your best bet is to pre-create your character appearance, save it and then click through once the server is unlocked.

Good luck!

EDIT: 7am is local time
It's letting me do Spriggan now, hopefully I can get in before it's too late. Edit: nope, by the time I finished doing my appearance, it was locked again and it tried to put me back to Ragnarok. The annoying fucking thing is I did have a saved appearance, but you still have to click through all that astral bullshit. Damnit, this sucks dick. I just want to play, but the 200% exp bonus is too good to pass up, but I don't wanna be surrounded by French people.

So you play on Spriggan? How is the language there?

Last edited:

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
You can select the languages you speak in your duty finder and the game tries to match you. JEDF for Japanese, English, German and Baguette. The French seem to do the same though, and check every language even if they don't speak it.

View attachment 357936

There is an auto-translator function built into FFXIV though, even if most people don't use it or aren't aware. You see these predefined sentences with the green/red scroll arrows. You can access this with Tab while entering chat, either with a category menu or as an auto-complete. Tab - 1 - 1 is for "Please use the auto-translate function", Tab - 1 - Page Down - 6 is for "Can you speak English?"

View attachment 357934

Yup, that sounds **exactly** like French people.

Btw, did a super racist quest in Ulduh area where they made me kick out a nice goblin merchant from a town. that was some fucked up shit, so much casual racism. Now that's systemic racism.

So if I level a Gladiator to 30, my only choice from there is Paladin? Or once you hit 30 on any main class, can you do any specialized class from there and start leveling that? Or do you need to start back from 1 of the main class? Just wondering so I can start in Gridania anyways if I want to go pal once I hit 30. I assume you need to do 1-30 of the main classes first? Just double checking.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
As long as you are in the Chaos DC, you'll get matched up with the shitty french though, since DF is DC wide. That's why I was suggesting maybe switching to Light.

I'm one of the few french of Lich and things are good over here. I almost never encounter a non english speaking french in there.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
As long as you are in the Chaos DC, you'll get matched up with the shitty french though, since DF is DC wide. That's why I was suggesting maybe switching to Light.

I'm one of the few french of Lich and things are good over here. I almost never encounter a non english speaking french in there.
Damn, but there's 0 servers on Light right now with an exp bonus. I wouldn't care so much if low level combat wasn't so awful, but I desperately want to get to a main class and have a more interesting toolkit.

Also, sorry for ragging on your people.

Dang, well I tried pinging the US servers just out of a vain hope, but I get 120+ms. I get 17ms on Chaos and 25 on Light. So I'm stuck with Chaos/Light, but Light has no bonus xp servers. I saw that (EU) Light had Lich and Zodiark that had the bonus recently. how long ago did that end and how often do they rotate?

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
Damn, but there's 0 servers on Light right now with an exp bonus. I wouldn't care so much if low level combat wasn't so awful, but I desperately want to get to a main class and have a more interesting toolkit.

Also, sorry for ragging on your people.

The thing with servers opening for character creation and preffered status moving around kinda is a pain in the ass yes.

Usually, MSQ without preffered is largely enough to level one job. With preferred status you can almost level 2 or 3 jobs simultaneously. Also, the lvl52+ skills for old jobs are locked behind finishing the original games and patch MSQ so you might still need to wait a while to unlock new buttons even if you overlevel... My brother who started recently while Lich was preffered was lvl60 on Dragoon (and 50+ on another job) before he got to Heavensward and could unlock his lvl52+ skills.

And no worries. Most of them are dumbasses when it comes to other languages and MMO. I avoid them like the plague online.

Cybsled

Btw, did a super racist quest in Ulduh area where they made me kick out a nice goblin merchant from a town. that was some fucked up shit, so much casual racism. Now that's systemic racism

Uldah Lalafels are racist in the game. They even created the name “beast tribe” as a label to exclude other sentient races from business, like goblins.

Lalafels are just plain evil anyways lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
Oh man that Nidhogg fight in Ishgard

chef.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It carries over to all the cutscenes too where characters can't actually touch anything that arn't their weapons so you'll constantly have characters run up to each other in excitement but never embrace, shake hands, etc.

I will say they have made some definite improvements in both overcoming this type of thing from a coding standpoint and an illusionary-cutscene standpoint.

Though the raw coding in place usually prevents this stuff from being seen in full on 3rd person, you can tell via some of the newer emotes that they are working with it the best they can, and figuring out ways of making it work better. There was even a cutscene somewhere in ShB where your character picks up a picture of water on a table and pours themselves a full glass. Seems basic sure, but I remember thinking at the time, "damn, i've not seen them animate your character to actually do that and it look so fluid and natural before, so that's new". It might have been a trick with camera angles and shifting into first person view, but you can tell they are actively trying to make the animations and interactions feel more immersive if they can.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The thing with servers opening for character creation and preffered status moving around kinda is a pain in the ass yes.

Usually, MSQ without preffered is largely enough to level one job. With preferred status you can almost level 2 or 3 jobs simultaneously. Also, the lvl52+ skills for old jobs are locked behind finishing the original games and patch MSQ so you might still need to wait a while to unlock new buttons even if you overlevel... My brother who started recently while Lich was preffered was lvl60 on Dragoon (and 50+ on another job) before he got to Heavensward and could unlock his lvl52+ skills.

And no worries. Most of them are dumbasses when it comes to other languages and MMO. I avoid them like the plague online.

How do I level classes simultaneously the way you mention? Strategy wise? I'm a bit confused about that, because I know swapping weapons swaps your job? But I don't have any gear for casters for instance, so would I just swap my weapon out to another melee job while out and about questing a level 15 quest? But then all my armor requires level 15+ and I don't have 15 on that other job? I'm pretty confused by it. Do I need to go find other level 1 quests I've already done on Gladiator or what? I don't really get how to level them "simultaneously" but would love to.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
How do I level classes simultaneously the way you mention? Strategy wise? I'm a bit confused about that, because I know swapping weapons swaps your job? But I don't have any gear for casters for instance, so would I just swap my weapon out to another melee job while out and about questing a level 15 quest? But then all my armor requires level 15+ and I don't have 15 on that other job? I'm pretty confused by it. Do I need to go find other level 1 quests I've already done on Gladiator or what? I don't really get how to level them "simultaneously" but would love to.

You have access too "sets" in the Character screen, this lets you easily swap jobs on the fly.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Is there a particular graphic option that is making my GPU work like crazy? Never have any frame issues, but never heard my GPU sound like such a rocket ship either.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Lol I'm an idiot. I finally got a char made on Spriggan, but it's something I don't want, because I rushed through in excitement. If I delete it, can I re create from there? Or I assume I need to get lucky again? I should probably just level it to 30 and then swap to what I want?

Cybsled

What don’t you want on the character? The name, or the appearance or job? Appearance you can change with a Fantasia (you get a free one after beating Praetorium in MSQ) and jobs you can swap after level 10

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
What don’t you want on the character? The name, or the appearance or job? Appearance you can change with a Fantasia (you get a free one after beating Praetorium in MSQ) and jobs you can swap after level 10

Is it only level 10? nice okay, I'll just fuck around until then and swap back to Glad. Thanks for the info. I mean I did wanna be a scaleygirl, but I'm fine with this thicc highlander too.

Cybsled

You can still race change. Once you “beat” 2.0, you get a potion that lets you do that for free. They then cost 10 bucks on the store after that