Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah which is why I am buying my books for mount speed in the old zones right now. I have nothing better to spend them on after tanking a million dungeons for my fc mates to get them through the story.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FYI if you haven't watched it this series is really great even if you don't play the game.

The fact that the company remade the game is astounding.

This history is why i've always loved this game so much. The fact that they turned around such a messed up game into what it is today, and all weaved it into the lore itself - just huge respect for Yoshi and his team.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
If mainly for raiding AST no question. I'll disagree slightly with other folk and say for healing WHM is stronger. If you like healing itself I'd say WHM, if you like a complex class that heals as well as spending time shuffling buffs then AST. Takes a good player to do well as AST - demands physical dexterity and mental agility.
From what I hear the only problem with AST is you dont want 2 in a raid due to card stacking.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ixion mount acquired. Although the server lag on kills isn't getting any better so i was lucky to gold so many times.

edit: so was trying to get Recruit-A-Friend to work with my brother, but apparently it only works if it's a completely brand new account that hasn't subbed at all? That's dumb. So if anyone new wants to use the code VUDQQTP3 feel free, you might get some rewards if you play for a few months.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
From what I hear the only problem with AST is you dont want 2 in a raid due to card stacking.
Cards don't stack yeah, and now you can't see the other AST cards which is annoying, but getting Balance with RR aoe is not really that common, and you can make a macro when you have it to say "I got next balance". Realistically you'll still hit times without a balance up even with 2AST, and sometimes you'll both have balance and have to stagger and it'll feel wasted, but on average damage will be noticeably higher that way. You also have 2 sources of situational cards if needed like Ewers if one of the healer dies with lucid dreaming on cd and bard mp regen on cd too or Boles if the tanks need it or some shit like that.

Honestly it sound super strong and the only reason you wouldn't want it is cause of sharing the same weapon for raid drops, but that's minor especially since relics usually are equal/superior to raid drops.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ixion mount acquired. Although the server lag on kills isn't getting any better so i was lucky to gold so many times.

edit: so was trying to get Recruit-A-Friend to work with my brother, but apparently it only works if it's a completely brand new account that hasn't subbed at all? That's dumb. So if anyone new wants to use the code VUDQQTP3 feel free, you might get some rewards if you play for a few months.

Haven't caught the Fate up yet - how many of the items do you get per clear? I'm assuming it's gonna take multiple clears for mount.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well after quitting WoW, decided to get Stormblood and resub. Figured I'll start a new character on a server some friends are on. Now begins the fun game of waiting for char creation to open. Augh.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If character creation isn't open now, don't expect it to be for months. They're really pushing hard to get people to transfer to new or desolate alternatives, because cross server party finder will somehow make up for the lack of people and economy.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Afterlife is putting together an 8man static, looking for a few more members. We are on the Sargatanas server. Message me here, in game or e-mail ([email protected]) and let's get rocking!

https://afterlifeguild.org/join/
Same Afterlife from EQ?
NM yes you guys are. Damn didn't know they were still around. Good to see you guys alive and kicking. Would definitely would hop on board with my Astro but I can't transfer for another 3 months.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Haw, that final MSQ battle is hilariously healer dependent. The amount of just random damage floating around is absurd for a normal trial; I can easily see people ditching that if it comes up on Trial Roulette almost instantly if it comes up. Bad healer? No chance. Healer who doesn't want to spend 15 minutes in hyper-mode? /leave

Good thing I effectively never do the trial roulette for fear of getting shit like 6 newbs doing 60 Steps of Faith or other shit that is going to take 45m to "fail" through.

Now it's time to finally work on crafting and gathering!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This game is a decent distraction so far, just about ready to finish out the original MSQ and almost 50.

The story is... laborious but there are OK bits here and there. Some of it gets super confusing because random names and items are referenced and I feel like I must have missed something but then it's Japanese so maybe without expository dialogue they don't really explain a bunch of things? Nothing 'major' but some random stuff I'm just like 'who the fuck are they talking about this time?'

Combat keeps getting better as I get higher and actually get off GCD abilities and such.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
the combat gets far better at end game except if youre a healer..leveling up is so boring and can be slow if you have to kill stuff, as astro im just spamming one button the whole time.

story gets far better post 50. the 2.0 story was barely passable as far as what i'd expect from an ff game but heavensward kicked it up a level. we're not talking sophisticated narratives or anything but the dialogue is better written and the feels hit home. and from what ive seen of stormblood so far its even better, (granted only lvl 62 atm). definitely the best story driven segments of an mmo ive yet seen.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
THe Story quests from the orginal 2.0 is so fucking bad, with the buff to exp on the new realms you can out level the story quest so fast just by doing them alone. I have not done any sub quests since about level 10 and I am now 42 and the story quest I am on is 34. Which for the most part all I am doing it running back and forth to the same spot not killing anything for about 20 minutes because some cunt wants some bread with his fine wine before he tells me where the fuck i need to go to save the world.

The most anoying thing about is you need to do the Story quest to unlock everything so no way to avoid it apart from spending money. I am enjoying the combat though and I hear good things about the story in the two expansion so here is hoping it gets better

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah 2.0 story is so bad. The whole thing basically feels like a hamfisted way to keep continuity for the few hundred people who actually stuck it out through the abysmal 1.0 launch. It wasn't really until HW that they were able to start expanding the story for the better.