Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Argh sorry wrong thread. Meant to post this in the FFXV thread. I'll check it out.

Also, how hard is it to swing back into this game? I never got past heavensward, but that part was pretty enjoyable (but I hated grinding non-main classes).
Pretty easy to get back in. On Zelara (bonus xp server) seeing a LOT of new players and leveling to 60 is pretty quick.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Argh sorry wrong thread. Meant to post this in the FFXV thread. I'll check it out.

Also, how hard is it to swing back into this game? I never got past heavensward, but that part was pretty enjoyable (but I hated grinding non-main classes).

This is basically wow, maybe even easier to get back into it. They constantly add new catch-up methods and since they gear reset every expansion AND soft gear reset every major patch(moving the old top tier gear to easily farmable), even once you reach the current endgame, it only takes a couple of weeks of casual play(less than a week of 4+hours a day) to catch up in gear to be able to do everything there is to be done, minus the ultimate fights(I mean you could try doing them, but it might be hard finding people willing to do them if you don't have the right downscale gear and experience with current endgame content and such).

It's definitely one of the easiest if not the easiest game to just sub for a month, do some shit, then drop and wait for more content.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This is basically wow, maybe even easier to get back into it. They constantly add new catch-up methods and since they gear reset every expansion AND soft gear reset every major patch(moving the old top tier gear to easily farmable), even once you reach the current endgame, it only takes a couple of weeks of casual play(less than a week of 4+hours a day) to catch up in gear to be able to do everything there is to be done, minus the ultimate fights(I mean you could try doing them, but it might be hard finding people willing to do them if you don't have the right downscale gear and experience with current endgame content and such).

It's definitely one of the easiest if not the easiest game to just sub for a month, do some shit, then drop and wait for more content.
There aren't any mods or anything, right? Nothing to customize?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No UI mods from what I've read. The UI itself in game is pretty customizable though. You can move pretty much everything around to your tastes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There aren't any mods or anything, right? Nothing to customize?
The only 3rd party stuff people use is ACT to parse and get damage meters working(also callouts and shit, there's a pseudo DBM kind of thing in there), but everything else is done via the ingame UI configuration, which is actually pretty well done, you can resize/alpha/move pretty much every UI element.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone explain this eureka stuff to me? I was planning on coming back for shadowringers but on YouTube now are buncha vids bitching about this eureka thing , but also some stuff that says it has xp loss/losing levels and even an open world / non instanced raid dungeon at the end that you need to coordinate multiple groups to defeat? Cuz that part sounded cool

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain this eureka stuff to me? I was planning on coming back for shadowringers but on YouTube now are buncha vids bitching about this eureka thing , but also some stuff that says it has xp loss/losing levels and even an open world / non instanced raid dungeon at the end that you need to coordinate multiple groups to defeat? Cuz that part sounded cool

Think of it like a giant side quest.

There are 4 different zones to Eureka. You get special Eureka levels and progress through the zones. Ultimately, you get some crappy gil rewards and the expansion's special artifact weapon, which has glowy shit and is technically best in slot by like 2% over the raiding weapon in exchange for all the grinding required.

It has old school throwback mechanics that feels a lot like old school EQ or FFXI – a dangerous open world, enemies that will kill you very quickly, and punishing death mechanics (exp loss, etc).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't say crappy gil rewards, you can make a fuckton of money spamming Eureka. Hell just doing it casually for the weapon I made like 10m(mind you I spent like 3.5m or whatever buying logograms so it wasn't all profit). If you specifically farm it for money, it's very lucrative.

Also the lastest part of Eureka has a special "instance within an instance" dungeon where you have to coordinate multiple groups together to defeat content. You have to split up and kill stuff at the same time, and one group also needs to stay outside to clear a special boss to remove buffs on the boss inside(once cleared the people outside can then enter). Meanwhile, you hae very limited rez during that time, can't use the normal rez spells, so too many people dying as you progress means you won't be able to make the DPS checks for the later content.

I think Eureka is pretty cool overall, but reception was less than stellar especially in the west. Most people stopped at Anemos(the first part) or right at the start of Pagos(the 2nd part, which was a lot more fuckery). It is side content that you don't need to do though, but it has an interesting side story tied to some of the MSQ events and tons of unique gear, glamours, mounts, minions and so on. Including this expansion's relic weapon(glowy) as well as some glowy armor for the first time since 2.0.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Yeah eureka is good money because it drops mounts haircuts glamour's and materia that the limsa sex perverts desire but don't want to farm so they pay like 10milly for the new manta Ray mount.

Cybsled

Eureka is basically Everquest 1/FFXI style grinding and they toss in little exclusive trinkets to bait people into suffering through that shit

Nola

Trakanon Raider
On average.....without not trying to no life neckbeard hardcore it. How long does it take to complete an Eureka weapon? Weeks? Months? I want to at least complete a few before the expansion rolls out.

Xerge

<Donor>
One bonus to grinding through the base MSQ is the free 15 days game time for hitting level 30; essentially giving me back the time I'll spend button mashing through the story. Not bad at all. Doing it on a server with the experience bonus has made it a breeze as i'm level 50 now, SAM unlocked, and MSQ is still at level 41.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On average.....without not trying to no life neckbeard hardcore it. How long does it take to complete an Eureka weapon? Weeks? Months? I want to at least complete a few before the expansion rolls out.
A few hours a day, you'll basically take a week per step or so. Anemos is shorter but Pagos is longer so should even out, so about a month total since there's 4 parts. Maybe less, maybe more, depends on how fast you're grinding and how much you're playing. It's fairly similar to doing another relic, in their fully nerfed state(so overall faster than other relics).

It'll probably be buffed to go a bit faster again. The main chokepoint is Pagos light farming, shit takes a while regardless. The crystals go faster when you're higher level, so the 2nd time around you can gather enough crystals faster.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

It took me about 3 weeks to grind out my first weapon(At about 3-4hours/day), 2nd took me about a week, they get faster once you get past the initial hurdle.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is the losing xp on death part cool or annoying? And how does the ‘logos action’ and magia stuff work?? It’s like they added totally new systems and I don’t wanna be completely outta the loop when I come back for xpac

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is the losing xp on death part cool or annoying? And how does the ‘logos action’ and magia stuff work?? It’s like they added totally new systems and I don’t wanna be completely outta the loop when I come back for xpac
The losing xp part is kinda whatever, unless you're solo farming in a dead instance or something. If you die, all it means is you shout for a rez and wait for someone to come rez you so you don't take the penalty.

The new systems are contained with Eureka and won't affect the next expansion, but it works like that:

The magia board is an elemental board, you can set 5 points(+2 from expensive as shit items) into different elements, however you see fit. Enemies have an element over their head, setting it to the element they're weak against will make you do more damage, setting it to the same element lets you take less damage. It's a kinda meh system as you'll mostly be stacking attack against the element of what you're fighting, unless you're the tank but when adds spawn on larger fights it's pretty fun since they're often various elements so you have to decide if you align to them or not, knowing you can only change a limited amount of time and it rebuilds slowly.

Logos action are just additional actions that go into the duty action button they added with SB. You mix logograms you loot off shit to get 1 out of 56 skills, put them in the button, then use the button whenever. The actions are old deleted skills but not sucky(for example monk's Featherfoot which give dodge) and some new super broken shit like Reflect which lets you solo caster mobs without taking any damage, as well as various "stances" buff that will like give you more hp or more damage or run faster or whatever. It's mostly a gimmick as there's only a few good skills, but it's kinda fun sometimes.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Moving around Eureka is pretty damn nerve wrecking especially knowing you can die and take an exp loss if no one resses you. Honestly I haven't been this nervous traveling through a zone since Kithicor Forest in EQ.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Eh, I wasn't really stressed since unless you play on a dead instance, getting a rez generally is a matter of 30seconds, maybe a few minutes if there's a FATE up at the same time(so ppl are busy). The only kinda stressful parts is unlocking the last quest in the area, which have you go in really shitty places where people might not be willing to come rez you because they might die themselves. That said if you have ninja, you can just stealth past most monsters, checking the bestiary so you make sure there's no truesight mob and taking it slow and carefully(mobs only move every ~30-40 secs, so once they moved you have plenty of time to plan a route, but if they haven't moved yet running in crazily is a good way to take aggro when they turn around as you're passing by). Makes those quests pretty simple too. Honestly if you're smart about how you move around in Eureka, it's not hard to travel around without aggroing shit, but some people just try to brute force everything and always end up dead, when you do FATE groups you'll see them idiot dragging 5mobs into a FATE because they couldn't be bothered taking 10secs longer to dodge them.

Last edited:

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Alright finally picked this up. Got a slightly more modern PC today, and figured I'd play something "pretty" with it till the new EQ TLP or I see a squirrel somewhere. I'm using the same account I played before Xmas, lvl 30 something lancer I think. Clueless about game, but I learn fast if I'm interested.

There a server that everyone generally plays on?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Lots of us are on Gilgamesh.

That said, it wouldn't be horrible if you started up on a random "preferred" server (that's still on the Aether datacenter). You'd get a double exp boost until level 60, some free sub time (15 or 30 days?), and even a stash of gil (500k?); with the datacenter changes coming up in a few months, everyone will get a free transfer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user