Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm very curios how crafted items are gonna be handled via the world visit system, it's gonna be possibly interesting for awhile..

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Lots of us are on Gilgamesh.

That said, it wouldn't be horrible if you started up on a random "preferred" server (that's still on the Aether datacenter). You'd get a double exp boost until level 60, some free sub time (15 or 30 days?), and even a stash of gil (500k?); with the datacenter changes coming up in a few months, everyone will get a free transfer.
Gilgamesh it is. I'm assuming I get one free transfer or something? I just upgraded from free to "standard" with the 2 expansions. I had some xp bonus going from trial, haven't logged in since November apparently. Don't really feel like starting over.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Gilgamesh it is. I'm assuming I get one free transfer or something? I just upgraded from free to "standard" with the 2 expansions. I had some xp bonus going from trial, haven't logged in since November apparently. Don't really feel like starting over.

Transfers usually aren't free (they are in fact eighteen fucking bucks), but they will be offering one to people because of the data center retooling.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
There will be a grace period to transfer. Since they're fucking over NA and further segmenting servers into new data center clusters, they're giving everyone an opportunity to go where they so choose.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I probably read something wrong, either way I fall under some 90 day rule and couldn't transfer even if I paid apparently. Don't matter, I'll play a bit tonite and decide.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Found out the result of all those Iksar traveling to GFay over the years, so I had to make a bastard Iksar elf. Didn't have the race as an option before, so just remade a lancer on Gilgamesh, leveling seemed fast, so no big deal.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone on Gilgamesh looking for an active Free Company mine "Astral Flames" is always recruiting. Pretty helpful people with an estate plot in Lavender beds with food buffs up all the time.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
meh. completed the praetorium, wonder how long before I uninstall now, lol.

Praetorium is the low point of the game as far as I'm concerned. The next lowest point is the epilogue quests you're about to hit. Power through to Heavensward and you'll notice an immediately increase in quality of both quest design and writing.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
meh. completed the praetorium, wonder how long before I uninstall now, lol.

Congratulations, you're now in level 50 purgatory for the next 100 quests!

It's a lot like the 1-50 grind except there are no power gains, zero character progression, and fewer zones to see.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hit 49 last night and I'm still having fun. I really don't care for 4-man dungeon crawls this game has. It's far too small of a group, but I'm glad there are 8-man ones in my future. I just unlocked one last night, but I have to be level 50 for it.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I hit 49 last night and I'm still having fun. I really don't care for 4-man dungeon crawls this game has. It's far too small of a group, but I'm glad there are 8-man ones in my future. I just unlocked one last night, but I have to be level 50 for it.

WoW groups are 5-man. The difference between 4 and 5 is minimal.

The difference between WoW-clone MMO's and EQ-like MMO's is you simply remove the crowd control class. XIV removed a superfluous DPS class for reasons, but it doesn't affect how shit plays –– the difference would be pulling slightly larger packs and finishing the dungeons slightly faster.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Ended up on Zalera, was only one giving a newb buff. Gilgamesh kept showing as full when I deleted and remade last night.

How do the mounts work? I understand unlocking them around 30ish, the bike in the shop mentions something about being faster in certain zones. This a useful purchase early on, or I'll be fine with the basic chocobo?

Only thing that bugs me about this game so far is being forced to group to do story quests. I despise grouping as a newb in games that have been around for a few years, as I don't have a clue, and in most games people freak the fuck out all the time if you don't know every detail. This game the same? If not I'll stop putting off the grouping stuff, guess I have to either way.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Ended up on Zalera, was only one giving a newb buff. Gilgamesh kept showing as full when I deleted and remade last night.

How do the mounts work? I understand unlocking them around 30ish, the bike in the shop mentions something about being faster in certain zones. This a useful purchase early on, or I'll be fine with the basic chocobo?

Only thing that bugs me about this game so far is being forced to group to do story quests. I despise grouping as a newb in games that have been around for a few years, as I don't have a clue, and in most games people freak the fuck out all the time if you don't know every detail. This game the same? If not I'll stop putting off the grouping stuff, guess I have to either way.

Mounts get faster in zones after you clear the msq quests in it.

The bike mount always goes at the max speed

It's negligable

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I despise grouping as a newb in games that have been around for a few years, as I don't have a clue, and in most games people freak the fuck out all the time if you don't know every detail. This game the same? If not I'll stop putting off the grouping stuff, guess I have to either way.

Square is super anal about not letting people be toxic. If you go just a page or two back you'll notice all the moaning about the new "community guidelines" that don't allow players to say anything that might be considered offensive.

Besides the fact that Square plays big brother, the community in this game is, by and large, very welcoming and super friendly to new players. If you let everyone know you're new, they'll probably be super encouraging and offer a few tips.

This game has a crazy good atmosphere. Try immersing yourself in it, you'll be surprised!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Square is super anal about not letting people be toxic. If you go just a page or two back you'll notice all the moaning about the new "community guidelines" that don't allow players to say anything that might be considered offensive.

Besides the fact that Square plays big brother, the community in this game is, by and large, very welcoming and super friendly to new players. If you let everyone know you're new, they'll probably be super encouraging and offer a few tips.

This game has a crazy good atmosphere. Try immersing yourself in it, you'll be surprised!
Well that's good to know, I'm pretty sure WoW/Legion gave me PTSD when it comes to PUG's. I'll just dive in once I hit the first dungeon then. Otherwise enjoying the game, always been a fan of most of the FF games, so I can stand the occasional cutsey/goofy stuff.

Won't worry about the mounts then, if no huge difference I'll wait till later.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well the advantage is pretty good but for a fairly short period of time until you've done the zone's MSQ part and unlock it normally, which doesn't take that long. I wouldn't say it's worth whatever the price they're asking for that bike, which iirc is expensive as fuck.

For the forced grouping/early grouping, it's generally not bad, but some people might still behave like dickheads, it's a mmo after all. There's a shit ton of forced grouping part of the MSQ though so better get used to it. Honestly for the most part a lot of the content is braindead easy, and only a few have dangerous mechanics that you can pick up on the go either from dying or from seeing someone else do the thing properly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users