Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So is the weekly coin restriction still a thing with CF Raid?

Edit: nm, just read the patch notes.

Last edited:

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
yea just got the ex ruby weapon down but feels very wonky. its a tossup whether i guess the dash direction right on that ravensflight. but man ive never seen an ex with such a minimal dps check, i think we died like 10-15x and still killed it with plenty to go

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I thought it was pretty straightforward/easy, I joined a learning party after watching a video a couple of times and I didn't really learn much from the wipes other than the range of the circle aoes that expand thing, rest I didn't get hit the entire reset. Then joined a clear party since P2 looked just as easy and cleared right away(well after a bunch of wipes since people insisted on using the shitty meteor strat until we switched to set positions which is way easier). And yeah DPS check is stupidly lenient, way more than any fight in a while I think, literally dozens of deaths in P1 and still made it before enrage, and not sure the guys in that party were any good but DPS meter was down, I know I wasn't doing shit and focusing on Succoring constantly to reduce deaths and hard rezing people.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Just got back and digging the msq and yorha raiding I missed. I bought a full set of 480 crafted for whm, but have ast been patched back into usefulness?

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just got back and digging the msq and yorha raiding I missed. I bought a full set of 480 crafted for whm, but have ast been patched back into usefulness?
If perfectly played it is more rdps than sch. Both WHM and AST have solo healed the new ultimate. It is also the hardest of the three to play perfect.

Generally you are seeing whm+ast or whm+sch in prog groups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
So that hasn't changed much heh. I was kinda excited about the new relic line but I'm hearing there won't be a Eureka-like zone till much later. That's a bummer.

• 1Like

Cybsled

There's some Lala band in the lower decks on our server playing music. Pretty good actually lol

Cybsled

Ugh, FUCK. So close to mount. I had a mooch during spectral event which would have netted a 5 star fish, but the spectral current ended when i had my hook in the water and it cancels the mooch. Had I gotten that, I would have gotten the shark mount from fishing event (had final score of 9215....I think the 5 star fish gets you a bonus 20%)

edit: Finally got the mount. Had 3 rainbows in 1 trip. The 2nd rainbow happened with 1:20 left, so barely got to take advantage of it. Double hooking on the !!! during rainbow got me like 2k pts a haul. I was 800 short of the 16k title, but could have gotten it if my cordials were off CD.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My cunt friends finally convinced me to get back into this. What's the current, "EZ mode" tank class? I want to go gunbreaker, but I can't unlock them until level 60, right? So, what tank class is an "easy" way to get there? I'm thinking Paladin?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My cunt friends finally convinced me to get back into this. What's the current, "EZ mode" tank class? I want to go gunbreaker, but I can't unlock them until level 60, right? So, what tank class is an "easy" way to get there? I'm thinking Paladin?
Well depends on what you mean by EZ mode, but up to 60 at least they're both pretty much the same since you only have WAR and PLD, and they only get their fancy stuff in the 50-60 stretch. DRK unlocks in Heavensward which unless you have already done the story will probably mean you'll be 54+ when you unlock and then forces you to restart at 30 so not worth it if you're going for GNB, plus DRK sucks until 70.

So whatever you prefer doesn't really matter, WAR might be a bit better for soloing early on, maybe, not sure, but difference would be minimal anyway.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well depends on what you mean by EZ mode, but up to 60 at least they're both pretty much the same since you only have WAR and PLD, and they only get their fancy stuff in the 50-60 stretch. DRK unlocks in Heavensward which unless you have already done the story will probably mean you'll be 54+ when you unlock and then forces you to restart at 30 so not worth it if you're going for GNB, plus DRK sucks until 70.

So whatever you prefer doesn't really matter, WAR might be a bit better for soloing early on, maybe, not sure, but difference would be minimal anyway.

By EZ mode I meant which is the most "faceroll" of the tank classes and requires the least thought. I just want something that is going to be relatively mindless to keep/hold aggro and such while grinding toward my actual class. From what you're saying it sounds like the differences are relatively minor? If that's true, I'll probably choose Warrior if they are slightly better at soloing.

What are the big differences between GNB and DRK in terms of gameplay/tanking? I guess I'm not 100% sold on GNB, but a friend was saying they are solid and I was considering going maximum fucking WEEB this time.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
By EZ mode I meant which is the most "faceroll" of the tank classes and requires the least thought. I just want something that is going to be relatively mindless to keep/hold aggro and such while grinding toward my actual class. From what you're saying it sounds like the differences are relatively minor? If that's true, I'll probably choose Warrior if they are slightly better at soloing.

What are the big differences between GNB and DRK in terms of gameplay/tanking? I guess I'm not 100% sold on GNB, but a friend was saying they are solid and I was considering going maximum fucking WEEB this time.

Most of the tanks are fairly easy. Warrior anyway is mostly aoe on 2+ trash pulls, simple combo on single target and utilizing cool downs. I actually found it kind numbing compared to some dps mechanic wise so I couldn't keep it up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

All the tanks are pretty easy, GNB is the most "complex", as in it has the most buttons and even that is pretty easy. Threat is a non factor in ShB, just turn on your tank stance and there's virtually no way you lose threat to anything unless you don't upgrade your weapon for 25levels, or you're one of these people that don't use aoes when there's multiple mobs.

At low lvl the differences between WAR and PLD are definitely small, WAR basically has 2 combo finishers, you do 123 for a 20secs dmg buff or whatever then 124 spam until you need to refresh Maim. PLD is just 123, nothing else until you reach 54. WAR gets ressources you can spend for bigger attacks too, it's a simplistic system at low lvl though, the bar raises and once you're at 50+, hit a button for bigger damage. Paladin gauge is just a defensive move, a short duration cooldown.

No class is complex before ~60-70, they pruned a lot of the low lvl abilities so everything is super simplified at low lvl, and is actually kinda boring.

As for DRK/GNB, DRK is simpler to play, arguably the simplest tank at cap. It only has one main 123 combo, you build ressources with it then you can dump it on a bigger attack. You get to manage your mp unlike every other tank, but really that means dump mp with oGCD damage skills until you're a ~3k so you have enough for one more skill when the situation demands it. It has cooldowns you activate so you can spam your ressource attack for free for 10secs, and another that makes you gain a lot of mp on every GCD so you can spam the mp dump more often. At 70+ you get the best short defensive cooldown which trivializes a lot of the casual content "tank busters".

GNB rotation feels more like a DPS rotation, with a bunch more buttons to press. You get a ressource too that you also dump on a stronger skill, and then you have a special secondary combo on a cooldown that gets additional oGCD hits inbetween, so when you activate that, it's a bunch of commands in a row. I'd say it feels better to play in that regard. Everything revolves around a damage buff so you prepare your rotation for it and then when it's up dump all your other stuff, so it's more rigid than DRK(and you're more prone to fuck it up as a result, but again it's not super hard).

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All the tanks are pretty easy, GNB is the most "complex", as in it has the most buttons and even that is pretty easy. Threat is a non factor in ShB, just turn on your tank stance and there's virtually no way you lose threat to anything unless you don't upgrade your weapon for 25levels, or you're one of these people that don't use aoes when there's multiple mobs.

At low lvl the differences between WAR and PLD are definitely small, WAR basically has 2 combo finishers, you do 123 for a 20secs dmg buff or whatever then 124 spam until you need to refresh Maim. PLD is just 123, nothing else until you reach 54. WAR gets ressources you can spend for bigger attacks too, it's a simplistic system at low lvl though, the bar raises and once you're at 50+, hit a button for bigger damage. Paladin gauge is just a defensive move, a short duration cooldown.

No class is complex before ~60-70, they pruned a lot of the low lvl abilities so everything is super simplified at low lvl, and is actually kinda boring.

As for DRK/GNB, DRK is simpler to play, arguably the simplest tank at cap. It only has one main 123 combo, you build ressources with it then you can dump it on a bigger attack. You get to manage your mp unlike every other tank, but really that means dump mp with oGCD damage skills until you're a ~3k so you have enough for one more skill when the situation demands it. It has cooldowns you activate so you can spam your ressource attack for free for 10secs, and another that makes you gain a lot of mp on every GCD so you can spam the mp dump more often. At 70+ you get the best short defensive cooldown which trivializes a lot of the casual content "tank busters".

GNB rotation feels more like a DPS rotation, with a bunch more buttons to press. You get a ressource too that you also dump on a stronger skill, and then you have a special secondary combo on a cooldown that gets additional oGCD hits inbetween, so when you activate that, it's a bunch of commands in a row. I'd say it feels better to play in that regard. Everything revolves around a damage buff so you prepare your rotation for it and then when it's up dump all your other stuff, so it's more rigid than DRK(and you're more prone to fuck it up as a result, but again it's not super hard).

Excellent info. I'm probably going to do the Paladin thing on the way to 60.

How do the tanks compare at endgame? You mention GNB having a more complex "rotation", but what does that translate to in terms of results? Are they the highest DPS tank?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Excellent info. I'm probably going to do the Paladin thing on the way to 60.

How do the tanks compare at endgame? You mention GNB having a more complex "rotation", but what does that translate do in terms of results? Are they the highest DPS tank?
Currently GNB is slightly ahead, but really really slightly, and PLD is right behind, with WAR and DRK both being a little bit further behind, but we're talking 200DPS difference out of 9k+, so less than 3% between the highest and lowest.

The main differences are in the utility and defensive tools rather than DPS. The DPS rotation is more a preference thing, with some people liking more simple rotations so they can focus on fights, while other people prefer more involved rotations so they don't get bored. Tank rotations are still much easier than almost every DPS though, just by virtue of having half their buttons being defensive cooldowns and not having positionals like melee DPS.

Generally speaking classes are fairly well balanced in XIV, there's sometimes a "worse" class, but it's often by small amounts, like they'll be 5-7% worse than an equivalent choice. There's been more issues in the past but in ShB so far it's been pretty good, with some classes being a bit wonky at times(Monk in 5.0, SMN in 5.1) and some classes feeling like shit to play(MCH in Stormblood, Ninja in 5.0) but they do a really solid job at balancing imo so it's really mostly going to be a preference thing. And obviously if you don't do "real" endgame content like savage and ultimate raids, shit doesn't matter at all.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Did they ever do anything with the post ARR questing to get to heavensword?