Fires of Heaven and our continued disappointment

Do you think it's eerie how most of our anticipated AAA MMORPG games were all cancelled?

• Total voters

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Most of our narrative on this forum, the forum that originated from Everquest, never really saw a new AAA MMORPG.

Everything just been rehashed WoW or EQ or Diablo or etc etc.

Vanguard, Pantheon, Curts Game, EQ3, Titan, the list goes on. All ghosts. All dead.

We ruminated over thousands of pages on games that never delivered for any of us.

We were all so excited and spoke to devs on many occasions over things that ended in tragedy.

That's all. Just remembering how our life went.

We'll be dead here soon, most of us, a good 20 or so years, and more than half of our lives we were on a fucking message board talking about games that ultimately never delivered or even came out.

Anyway, off to the WoW classic thread where I get to go back to Vanilla for the 8th time.

Sorry to be salty.

It's just one thing to have not such a great real life, and another thing entirely when the video games all turn out to be one massive troll.

Pretty sad for us as I know many of you from gaming and we were collectively on this forum for a really long time deliberating on stuff that never happened.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The MMO was inside us all along and the real treasures were the friends shitposts we made along the way.

• 15Worf
  • 12Like
  • 6Solidarity
Reactions: 32 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The MMO was inside us all along and the real treasures were the friends shitposts we made along the way.
Who was our sleeper? Ohioan Mega Fox? Sam Da Man? Suineg? Millie? Those gremlins who ran off and created that splinter forum?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I probably barely spent a month in EQ. WoW was the one that got me and frankly, looking back it was the most rewarding but in some ways most hollow experience in gaming ever. I lost a lot of time to that game, made some lifelong friends but even then we've drifted apart too, and, frankly, I've become less and less interested in the genre over the years. I vagabonded a bit with GW2, SWTOR, Rift, LOTRO, but I find myself playing FFXIV now mainly as a quest to do the main story and casual content. For some odd reason, my sojourn back for about 6 months of classic wow during WoTLK has left me with a desire to never touch MMOs again, at least in the traditional raid or hardcore sense. I had my SNES out and hooked up and had more fun screwing around on Soul Blazer and FFIV for a couple hours than I had in a long time. I had contemplated going back to finish out the few SWTOR class stories I never did, but it all just seems so pointless. I'm an MMO nihilist I guess now.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh I took the topic too seriously I guess....

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Most of our narrative on this forum, the forum that originated from Everquest, never really saw a new AAA MMORPG.

Everything just been rehashed WoW or EQ or Diablo or etc etc.

Vanguard, Pantheon, Curts Game, EQ3, Titan, the list goes on. All ghosts. All dead.

We ruminated over thousands of pages on games that never delivered for any of us.

We were all so excited and spoke to devs on many occasions over things that ended in tragedy.

That's all. Just remembering how our life went.

We'll be dead here soon, most of us, a good 20 or so years, and more than half of our lives we were on a fucking message board talking about games that ultimately never delivered or even came out.

Anyway, off to the WoW classic thread where I get to go back to Vanilla for the 8th time.

Sorry to be salty.

It's just one thing to have not such a great real life, and another thing entirely when the video games all turn out to be one massive troll.

Pretty sad for us as I know many of you from gaming and we were collectively on this forum for a really long time deliberating on stuff that never happened.

FFXIV is a AAA MMO still going strong and either is or was bigger than WoW.

Never played it because I'm not a weaboo faggot, but the point is this thread sucks

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
the topic was intended to be serious.

Are You Lost Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
I probably barely spent a month in EQ. WoW was the one that got me and frankly, looking back it was the most rewarding but in some ways most hollow experience in gaming ever. I lost a lot of time to that game, made some lifelong friends but even then we've drifted apart too, and, frankly, I've become less and less interested in the genre over the years. I vagabonded a bit with GW2, SWTOR, Rift, LOTRO, but I find myself playing FFXIV now mainly as a quest to do the main story and casual content. For some odd reason, my sojourn back for about 6 months of classic wow during WoTLK has left me with a desire to never touch MMOs again, at least in the traditional raid or hardcore sense. I had my SNES out and hooked up and had more fun screwing around on Soul Blazer and FFIV for a couple hours than I had in a long time. I had contemplated going back to finish out the few SWTOR class stories I never did, but it all just seems so pointless. I'm an MMO nihilist I guess now.

The games you list here, while they could be seen as just as strong as EQ or WoW, were all released around a similar time period that was quite some time ago.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Who was our sleeper? Ohioan Mega Fox? Sam Da Man? Suineg? Millie? Those gremlins who ran off and created that splinter forum?

The sleeper was a really cool cencept that was afaik new to mmo worlds and tried to add a greed mechanic where you would ruin your own server, with lore behind it... that ended up being this obsessed fantasy of the most ragingly nerdy and just fucking annoying autists. Anyone ranting about wanting to see the sleeper or spouting off about kerafyrm all the time was probably an antisocial fuck or sexual degenerate or worse, p99er.

Our sleepers tomb is the retard rickshaw.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
They can't be dead if they never lived at all. They were cryptids

There has to be some kind of Roe Vs Wade of Warcraft joke about when an MMO stops being a clump of code and becomes a living world. I’m tired and aggressively high but the premise is funny someone run with it