Fires of Heaven - The good, the bad, and the whatever else.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think a lot of us personally dealt with early EQ FoH rejects if we were from servers which weren't named Veeshan. And they always painted the picture of tyranny, backstabbing, and leet hax. And I'm sure there was some of that going on... we're talking about everquest. And we always bore in mind that... we were getting the ones that didn't fit.

And it was painfully obvious (painfully) -why- they didn't fit in most cases. Tempermental assholes, even by EQ standards. If the "butthurt autist" memes had existed, our guild board would have been nothing but threads of them when it came to those guys.

My guild broke my heart on a raid one night. I came back after a burnout and did a raid that we'd never done as a group. And we beat it on the first try and I was really just impressed... until one of my buddies told me that he'd been asking FoH about the encounter and someone had given him the strat to try. But you know, just the fact that they'd give him a viable strat for relevant content (we weren't racing for firsts obviously, but it was still top end content)... in the context of that game and that atmosphere... it obviously wasn't a guild full of goose stepping uberdicks.

Generol_sl

shitlord
Like what? Let's make this thread interesting.
Briefly stated (I am in the middle of some work I took home but will elaborate later tonight/tomorrow):

1) If you weren't around back then this may not seem like a big deal on its face but Brad would, constantly (and I do mean constantly) make posts asking our opinions about him leaving his company, asking if we wanted to "team up" to create a game with him, hell there was one time he responded to a rickshaw post (seemingly wasted on something based on how he was writing - I really wish someone had a copy of this particular one) about suicide and how God shelters all from "it". It was weird to say the least.

2) He would just randomly appear on our raids sometimes (and fairly often). In fact, it wasn't only on raids this would happen either. We could be at the vault, on a raid, in a group, fighting mushrooms in lower seb, whatever/wherever, and he would just appear. Often with different armor asking "what do you think? How do I look?" I remember one day I said something like "are you truly that narcissistic that you care what random people whom you stalk think in a video game?" I think it was Alloria with me but, regardless, he didn't show up for days after that and then, after that, is when that whole suicide post took place. I am not saying he was threatening suicide because he wasn't but, at the same time, he was in a way. It's really difficult to put this one into typed words and hopefully someone reads this and recalls it as well. The post was something simple initially where someone made a comment in a joking manner about suicides going to hell (poking fun at religion) and then, all of a sudden, he butts in talking about how "God Shelters all his lost sheep" or some shit like that.

3) When Alex decided to take the job at Blizzard. Things were extremely weird at this point in terms of Brad. He would do his random show up crap but the moment Furor appeared (logged in, etc), he would immediately disappear and would send a weird smiley face message. Something like "duty calls, I have a world to create as only I can
wink.png
". On it's own this would seem like nothing but then some of us started to talk and we all learned this was happening to nearly all the core members. On top of that, (I cannot prove this) I am one of those who firmly believe (it was a big deal back then) that he would make different forum account names to try to find out information on some of us as in real life names, where we lived, etc. There was one particular forum dweller named "RosettaEQ" or RosettaEQ1 (something similar) who (again, we learned this later when we just were randomly talking - myself and other core members) claimed to be a member of the guild long disappeared (bard named Cripps) and asking for information on Furor and a few others as in their phone numbers, etc and "how can we convince him to not join Blizzard as it will kill EQ?" Originally we just thought it was Cripps as he seemed to know everything about him and wanting to assure EQ remains top dog. After some time it became more and more apparent it was Brad based on some PM questions/comments. For example, "Rosetta" constantly talked about how "cool it would be to have a flaming sword" and shit like "if Blizzard would take me too, Alex and I would make the best game to ever be created". Finally the nail in the coffin, per say, was when this Rosetta started (after Brad left on his own) bringing up Vanguard constantly and doing "her" best to advertise it at the exact same times that Brad was making forum post after forum post about the same thing. Hell, they even used the same phrases.

That is just a small taste as I have several briefs to take care of but, suffice to say, Brad was weird and acted very obsessed about many things.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I was never in the actual guild but I was on Veeshan in one of the guilds right behind them essentially. I had many of conversations with them and they seemed like nice people. The one who I talked to the most which I cannot for the life of me remember his name was a Dwarf Priest with an A name I think....really don't remember his name but I remember us having many interesting conversations some including the use of ShowEQ.

Generol_sl

shitlord
Ainur?

You weren't, by chance, an Iksar warrior who led a guild, were you? I can't recall that guys name or the name of his guild (it was #2 on Veeshan, that I do remember) but I talked with him very often and we grouped often as well to knock this/that out and help his guild. In fact, I believe I was there when he was doing his best to get his clerics the sprinkler.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
While I can't speak for other high end guilds such as Afterlife or Township (at that time) I feel confident in saying that was a rarity among high end guilds. Furor was one of the easiest people to have a conversation with and despite what the public saw (with his rants/posts) he worked around the schedules and did a lot for his members. To my understanding (I cannot confirm this) that continues to this day as he has helped several people break into the gaming industry. There are many funny stories from those old days. Many of which centering around Brad and what he would do to get our attention. That guy truly has issues to say the least.
Very true. The short periods of time when Alex was fully active were by far the most motivated and effective periods for FoH while I was a member. I don't know what the man has but if he could bottle it he would have more money than god. I regret that I only knew him in passing and the last interactions we had were what they were which is a topic I'm not up to getting into at the moment. With that said no one was happier than I when Lori's bullshit came to light.

Gotta run out for a bit but who are you if you don't mind me asking? Grouchy and focused would be Derkon off the top of my head haha but I got the impression you were replying to what I wrote to Littles so maybe another account I guess?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
As a member of FoH since 1999, I fully agree we were an EQ guild. The WoW group had few members from the original and wasn't nearly as focused in terms of world first kills, etc.

It's interesting this topic pops up as I was looking through my old computer files and found the front page announcement of when we "Made History" by killing Lady Vox. I had totally forgotten about rubicite armor and how we all (basically) had it. I also found a file called "Hasta La Bye Bye" in which we killed the Priest of Discord and one other about the whole Zamtil & Herzog debacles.

I know that wasn't the point of this thread but, regardless, it was a good trip down memory lane reading a few of these comments.
I wasn't in FOH but the Lady Vox kill was my first week in EQ. Rubicite/SSOY//Manastone/Paw of Oppala/mask of deception?. Even just the memories are like hits of the good stuff.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Ainur?

You weren't, by chance, an Iksar warrior who led a guild, were you? I can't recall that guys name or the name of his guild (it was #2 on Veeshan, that I do remember) but I talked with him very often and we grouped often as well to knock this/that out and help his guild. In fact, I believe I was there when he was doing his best to get his clerics the sprinkler.
That sounds right actually. No I was not a guild leader but I do believe I know who you are talking about...and I want to say his name started with an S lol. I was a female human cleric and a High elf? maybe Erudite wizard I don't remember which I was on at the time maybe my cleric? Her name was Llainly I think. Wow been so long I can't remember any more.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The EverQuest FoH and the WoW FoH are not one in the same in my book. Not because I have rose colored glasses, but because some of the people were different and the competition in EQ was not the same type of competition that WoW has. Saying you were an FoH member now isnt some achievement on this forum and is just a big Whoopity fucking doo, you joined FoH WoW. It has more to do with the game, though, than the members of the guild.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Ainur?

Are you thinking of Sleestak?

Veeshan was a great server to play on. Loved our raiding drama.

sebur

Bronze Squire
That was the name I was trying to remember, he was my guild leader so if that was the same person he was talking about. Ya I enjoyed Veeshan a lot actually.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Briefly stated (I am in the middle of some work I took home but will elaborate later tonight/tomorrow):

1) If you weren't around back then this may not seem like a big deal on its face but Brad would, constantly (and I do mean constantly) make posts asking our opinions about him leaving his company, asking if we wanted to "team up" to create a game with him, hell there was one time he responded to a rickshaw post (seemingly wasted on something based on how he was writing - I really wish someone had a copy of this particular one) about suicide and how God shelters all from "it". It was weird to say the least.

2) He would just randomly appear on our raids sometimes (and fairly often). In fact, it wasn't only on raids this would happen either. We could be at the vault, on a raid, in a group, fighting mushrooms in lower seb, whatever/wherever, and he would just appear. Often with different armor asking "what do you think? How do I look?" I remember one day I said something like "are you truly that narcissistic that you care what random people whom you stalk think in a video game?" I think it was Alloria with me but, regardless, he didn't show up for days after that and then, after that, is when that whole suicide post took place. I am not saying he was threatening suicide because he wasn't but, at the same time, he was in a way. It's really difficult to put this one into typed words and hopefully someone reads this and recalls it as well. The post was something simple initially where someone made a comment in a joking manner about suicides going to hell (poking fun at religion) and then, all of a sudden, he butts in talking about how "God Shelters all his lost sheep" or some shit like that.

3) When Alex decided to take the job at Blizzard. Things were extremely weird at this point in terms of Brad. He would do his random show up crap but the moment Furor appeared (logged in, etc), he would immediately disappear and would send a weird smiley face message. Something like "duty calls, I have a world to create as only I can
wink.png
". On it's own this would seem like nothing but then some of us started to talk and we all learned this was happening to nearly all the core members. On top of that, (I cannot prove this) I am one of those who firmly believe (it was a big deal back then) that he would make different forum account names to try to find out information on some of us as in real life names, where we lived, etc. There was one particular forum dweller named "RosettaEQ" or RosettaEQ1 (something similar) who (again, we learned this later when we just were randomly talking - myself and other core members) claimed to be a member of the guild long disappeared (bard named Cripps) and asking for information on Furor and a few others as in their phone numbers, etc and "how can we convince him to not join Blizzard as it will kill EQ?" Originally we just thought it was Cripps as he seemed to know everything about him and wanting to assure EQ remains top dog. After some time it became more and more apparent it was Brad based on some PM questions/comments. For example, "Rosetta" constantly talked about how "cool it would be to have a flaming sword" and shit like "if Blizzard would take me too, Alex and I would make the best game to ever be created". Finally the nail in the coffin, per say, was when this Rosetta started (after Brad left on his own) bringing up Vanguard constantly and doing "her" best to advertise it at the exact same times that Brad was making forum post after forum post about the same thing. Hell, they even used the same phrases.

That is just a small taste as I have several briefs to take care of but, suffice to say, Brad was weird and acted very obsessed about many things.
The sad part is, in light of everything we've seen from Brad over the past 10 years, none of this sounds the least bit implausible.

I remember grouping with Furor was playing a hunter if i recall at the crossroads and he was planning out a pvp attack strategy on how to take out like 5 alliance and as he was talking i rushed in a face rolled 3 of them and 2 ran while he said wtf why did you rush in and ungrouped with me and never saw him again. Was glorious i was in full valor just about and had a that pole arm Rends something , those noobs stood no chance , and he was discussing strategy when we clearly were out geared to fight them. Ah when you had to be somebody or know someone to get into those UBRS groups , felt almost EQish at that time was fun.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I remember grouping with Furor was playing a hunter if i recall at the crossroads and he was planning out a pvp attack strategy on how to take out like 5 alliance and as he was talking i rushed in a face rolled 3 of them and 2 ran while he said wtf why did you rush in and ungrouped with me and never saw him again. Was glorious i was in full valor just about and had a that pole arm Rends something , those noobs stood no chance , and he was discussing strategy when we clearly were out geared to fight them. Ah when you had to be somebody or know someone to get into those UBRS groups , felt almost EQish at that time was fun.
Pretty sure this is a troll but it's certainly not the Furor I recall.

After the move to BDF an alt with the FoH tag was a powerful retard magnet. It wasn't uncommon to get jumped by someone happy to camp your level 52 in greens for hours at a time from their epic flying mount. I didn't give two shits as I would just log to another alt and farm somewhere else. Happened to Furor in Nagrand when he was leveling his paladin and motherfucker lost his miiiiind. He was out for blood and wanted every man online in Nagrand to commence curb stomping these retards. I'm ashamed to say my penniless ass kept farming for mats and repair money since I didn't even have epic flying or 500g to my name. But eventually some folks headed over and they raped and pillaged for hours. Vent was a shame filled delight. To be fair we asked for it a little bit. I chased some guilds MT with A'lar around netherstorm while he tried to farm with a wet sock and an Earthshield for a good hour one night. Accomplished nothing other than keeping him off that sweet sweet mount until he called two other people in and chased me down for another ten minutes trying to kill me. Good times.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Taloo's version of FoH and what I had always read about FoH are two different entities. One was a fairly upstanding group of folks who just wanted a fair chance at shit and had proven they were above the rank and file. His version looks like petulant children who enjoyed exploits/hacks/gm help and tried to intentionally fuck over everyone else as much as they could.

Color me conflicted by this "revelation."

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
petulant children who enjoyed exploits/hacks/gm help and tried to intentionally fuck over everyone else as much as they could.
Yes, there was some of this in a lot of top-end EQ guilds, at the end of the day. That, and a whole lot of "it's 4am, let's kill this shit guys".

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Taloo's version of FoH and what I had always read about FoH are two different entities. One was a fairly upstanding group of folks who just wanted a fair chance at shit and had proven they were above the rank and file. His version looks like petulant children who enjoyedexploits/hacks/gm help and tried to intentionally fuck over everyone else as much as they could.

Color me conflicted by this "revelation."
Color me confused sir. Aside from the bolded portion yeah you're right. Welcome to reality. Where for most part people get along but when you get a big enough group together it's gonna have a few assholes and people who don't get along but tolerate each other because they have a job to do. Which is the point. We were human. I suggest you do a search for Ravvenn/Lori on these very forums and remember that she was standing in damn near every kill shot posted to fohguild.org.

Where the fuck are you seeing anything about hacks/gm help? The only GM help I ever got was on the test server in AQ. Where a couple bosses were despawned to focus test a later boss for a raid that was half pugs including myself at the time. As well as for raids in a bunch of other instances full of other guilds. Because Test Server. Well there was also the time in AQ on test server where Furor spawned General asjfbhasohdfbasdfhas from aq 20 on us at the zoneline in aq 40 and he proper fucked what I think was a different raid of half pugs. Which helped us... to... die for a reason I never ascertained? I probably should have asked at some point in hindsight.

The only "hack" I was ever aware of got a bunch of folks banned and I and everyone I knew heard about it as a result of those bans. If by hack you mean altering the AQ40 zone file to remove the wall that opens after C'Thun died.

The only "exploit" mentioned was a known issue that triggered on its own in a fight we had down and 1 shot the next week. It wasn't intended and I only mentioned it because it broke my little innocent heart that we didn't all suicide to unbug a boss we were behind the curve on but would have killed anyhow? With that said from pre-C'thun all the way through Muru that is the "most exploitive" thing I ever saw done in FoH. Of a total of three times. #2 Kael adds would path to another room. You triggered the encounter with the raid in another boss room and sat with your thumb up your ass while they sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooowly walked over. When they died you went to Kael's room and waited for them to walk back.... It was changed weeks before we downed him and didn't help in any way. Shit was retarded and did nothing but waste time that could have been spent on more reps. It was also used by guilds way ahead of us at that point. I assume until they realized it was dumb as shit and told someone about it for laughs. #3 I only saw on Muru. It was similar to what guilds did in BT on Reliquary where you had someone log out and come back part way through the fight. Excempt... I dunno it never seemed to accomplish shit to me. You have a paladin log out at muru. Then you have him run an alt alll the way up to the raid. At some point for some reason I forget he dcs and waits to time out and log in the paladin for later phases. Woooo. So for a good portion of the fight you're a man down. Maybe the whole fight (it was totally the whole fight sometimes guys i cant get in ;_
wink.png
. For the super sweet bonus of having someone log in to crazy bullshit death phase with no idea whats happening. It did... something I guess?

That's the kind of unintended outside the lines shit people were gaga over in Everquest. Except in Everquest it was helpful and not second hand information. Full disclosure Furor did log in one night wanting us to try and reproduce something to test it. Turns out some of those early bear mounts were due to being able to clip into the chests and loot the boss shit even if you didn't beat the timer. We did it with alts because almost everyone on was saved. It was a nightmare. It took sooooo long because we weren't quite sure what we were looking for. We never did get it right but did confirm it was possible and it was patched in the next couple days as a result. You're welcome.

Edit* Was this an exploit? I don't think so and everyone did it but eh I'll throw it out there. We used self ress on DDR to avoid the gauntlet. It was only fair because our strat involved killing him with the 5-15/40 who could dance and didn't have shit latency. So with that in mind it balanced out in the end.

awfal

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was never in the actual guild but I was on Veeshan in one of the guilds right behind them essentially. I had many of conversations with them and they seemed like nice people. The one who I talked to the most which I cannot for the life of me remember his name was a Dwarf Priest with an A name I think....really don't remember his name but I remember us having many interesting conversations some including the use of ShowEQ.
Andysolo? He was a cool fella.