FireTV Stick

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Reads like it would do what you're talking about, but I'm not 100% sure since Chromecast reads like it would too.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully should be ordering one tomorrow - killed this month's budget already (moving this far suuuuuuucks), but checks/Amazon Giftcards for my birthday should start showing up soon (Nov 2nd) - and I'll certainly use one for this.
It is a pre-order just like any other, they don't actually charge you until at least the release date, or more likely the ship date, which at this point is into January. And since this is the last day for the special price (according to someone above, I didn't notice), might as well jump on it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Can it be used just to watch Netflix etc? or does it have to stream from a device-and this is just the TVs portal...that's why I didn't like chrome cast... I just want to plug it in and watch Netflix etc...20$ I can reclaim my Ps3 from my kids room.
Agree with Vaclav above...Chromecast does exactly what you just stated. You can start a movie from the Netflix app/website to play on your TV via Chromecast, and then exit out and do whatever else you want with your phone/tablet/computer while the movie is still playing on the TV. Now, you would have to open Netflix back up if you want to pause, stop, etc, but it most definitely doesn't lock down your controlling device to where you can't do anything else in the meantime. I constantly cast Sesame Street to the TV for my kid, then back out and use my tablet as normal while he watches.

However, it does look like the Fire Stick has a remote, so in theory you should be able to do those pause/stop/fast forward controls with that, I would assume. Its almost like a Chromecast/Roku hybrid

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It is a pre-order just like any other, they don't actually charge you until at least the release date, or more likely the ship date, which at this point is into January. And since this is the last day for the special price (according to someone above, I didn't notice), might as well jump on it.
Oh shit, good call I forgot Amazon works that way - thanks for the reminder - too used to Newegg/etc that charge initially.

Jan 5th though, but guess that gives me time to cancel if the reviews start being terrible too.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Can it be used just to watch Netflix etc? or does it have to stream from a device-and this is just the TVs portal...that's why I didn't like chrome cast... I just want to plug it in and watch Netflix etc...20$ I can reclaim my Ps3 from my kids room.
It's a stand alone device unlike the Chromecast thing.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Never bothered with a chromecast since my PS3 does everything I would want it do do, but for $19, what the hell. As far as I can tell it doesn't support the generic screen casting that is built in to many android roms and will be part of lollipop, but I imagine Allcast will get that sorted out.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Will streaming audio apps have a MOTHER TRUCKING SCREENSAVER SO IT DOESN'T RUIN MY TV?

Christ, nearly every TV I looked at (including the LG I bought) would eventually cause burn-in because built in smart TV apps are dumb. Granted, not as big an issue in the age of LEDs but it can still happen.
What?

My Samsung TV from two years ago, has a little screensaver that kicks in when I'm in SmartHUB and aren't doing anything. Or on the Netflix / Amazon Prime app.
Even my Roku has a little screensaver that kicks in.

Where are you buying..

rrr_img_80263.jpg

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Amazon just sent me and my friend emails that we're getting our deliveries sooner than originally estimated. Delivery date changed from 12/9 to 12/4.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got mine couple days ago. Works well streaming amazon prime stuff but have not tried it with Netflix or the amazon plex app yet.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i saw these at staples on sale in store sunday. i wasnt sure what they were, i r dumb about these things. can somebody tell me in in simple terms what these things do? can i watch live broadcast tv shows on my tv without cable or something or is it just for watching netflix or other pay streaming sites?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
i saw these at staples on sale in store sunday. i wasnt sure what they were, i r dumb about these things. can somebody tell me in in simple terms what these things do? can i watch live broadcast tv shows on my tv without cable or something or is it just for watching netflix or other pay streaming sites?
Essentially turns your tv into a smart tv. Runs apps like hulu, amazon prime, plex etc.

The nice thing about this or chromecast is that they hookup via hdmi and are wireless so any tv can use.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Random delivery bump-up again, should be arriving tomorrow. I wonder if Amazon had a bunch of cancelled preorders or if they just had faster production than expected.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Mine didn't get bumped up. Good to know that Amazon Prime stuff looks good. Anyone who has it please let us know how it does with Netflix, Plex, and whatever else.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Mine got bumped from 12/29 to 12/24, woohoo. I figure at the very least If I don't keep it I'll swap out my parents' chromecast for it since this gets them prime on the TV without any fuss. Having an interface on the device with a remote instead of doing everything on the phone might be easier for my dad. Less calls about the chromecast "not working" is a good thing.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Mine got bumped from 12/29 to 12/24, woohoo. I figure at the very least If I don't keep it I'll swap out my parents' chromecast for it since this gets them prime on the TV without any fuss. Having an interface on the device with a remote instead of doing everything on the phone might be easier for my dad. Less calls about the chromecast "not working" is a good thing.
should have mine 12/1

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So two things I didn't expect from this: 1) That you had to plug it into a wall; 2) That you'd be forced to watch an unskippable introductory video both on the TV and on my android remote app. Both annoying. Works great so far though.