First EverQuest, 3 screenshots

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Why did they crackdown on GM events? I didn’t really start playing until the era of GM events had ended (or maybe they were always rare on my server).

Because GMs/guides were biased as fuck, and pixels for titty (as done by Sirken on p1999) is in fact classic as can be.

Guides weren't even payed. Meanwhile stuff like CoF was ebaying for 2k$. Not hard to see where it went wrong.

Cybsled

Pretty much. I’m trying to remember a conversation 20 years ago, but the reasoning was there couldn’t be any perceived favoritism and profit. Like even if they spawned some shit to attack people, the crappy coppers you could loot off the corpses could fall under that rule. There was some other restrictions as well that I am forgetting. The interactions they had with the Playerbase fell off a lot post vanilla as a result and they had lots of guide turnover and even GM turnover. Our GMs still liked to fuck around, like by making raid bosses talk to us and trash talk lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Pretty much. I’m trying to remember a conversation 20 years ago, but the reasoning was there couldn’t be any perceived favoritism and profit. Like even if they spawned some shit to attack people, the crappy coppers you could loot off the corpses could fall under that rule. There was some other restrictions as well that I am forgetting. The interactions they had with the Playerbase fell off a lot post vanilla as a result and they had lots of guide turnover and even GM turnover. Our GMs still liked to fuck around, like by making raid bosses talk to us and trash talk lol
Shawn(alovingrobot) talks about the guide/GM turnover a fair bit on his Twitch stream. They used to fire guides and GMs at the drop of a hat. He tells a story that one GM was getting reprimanded in front of others and another GM had a quick out loud laugh about it - they immediately fired the guy and sent him packing.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
You guys must have been a bunch of brown-nosing cucks. I had 100's & 100's of days played and like 1 interaction (corpse retrieval) with a GM.
People would petition my first wizard simply for being in the zone claiming I was there to kill steal their spawns, they were right to a certain extent but I remember Daegarmo telling me every camp in lower guk had petitioned me saying I was there to steal their shit, 30 seconds after I zoned in. In all fairness I did /ooc I’m here to steal your shit qq more. I did so much ruthless shit in EQ on my first wizard it would take a short essay to go it all lol.

• 1Pathetic

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
A funny angry rant
EQ000006.png

I think I somehow logged in without my kunark files or something?
EQ000029.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
I played in the top raiding guilds on my server from Classic to GoD. With the exception to the Rathe Council and the first phases of Time ( where the raid had to be split for the first time in EQ history that I can remember ) , the only strat was to have enough clerics on a cHeal rotation. 99% of all boss encounters were a tank would wall a boss in a corner while clerics jusr cHealed and dps spammed 1,1,1,1,1.

We had members of other guilds "defect" to ours for a week or two at a time to pick up strategies with how we dealt with rampage (it was not common knowledge how it worked for far too long), adds and positioning in Velious / Luclin fights, the biggest one being our positioning for Emp ssra.

You can look back on that stuff and go "well, in hindsight, its fucking simple!", but things like using DB/DI to know exactly which Valon Zek was which, or coming up with CH interval rotations (and at what number of clerics / mob maximum damage rounds having two differently timed rotations beat out having one with shorter delay) based on those figures to know the number of clerics you actually need for any given fight was actually exciting information.

Some of the epics took a lot longer than others to figure out...

Serverwide.bic existed for a couple years as we worked on figuring out that stupid augment.

Can attest that "eq back in the day" wasnt solved, and widespread datamining of content prior to day 1 wasnt a thing, though it obviously did exist.

• 1Solidarity

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
Throw some more up here.

Some GM/ Guide messing around in PoK telling everyone the world was gonna end.
View attachment 312692

This was during the "Monser Mission" days when the Dain had a good aug. People would zone out and die instantly. Got this screenshot as someone was zoning out of the instance. People would invis to the dain and say the entry word to zone in and would be fine. After they would zone out and die a lot. Constantly dead bodies in the room. I would regularly rez people in this zone and drag them out of the room so they wouldn't die on rez.

View attachment 312693

This was a weapon I had for a long time. As a non raider Pally, I took what I could get. It had Runic which not only was a rune but also healed me for 80 base when it procced which would sometimes crit when it procced due to AA's so free healing was nice.

Since the Aug slot was type 4 and not 8 I couldn't throw on an AC aug so I had to find something else worthwihle. I didn't want a dd or lifedrain since that wouldn't help me a whole lot. High resists for procs in OoW, GoD and PoR. . Ended up getting the Faerie Luck Stone from LDoN.

5% Mitigation vie for Guard IV for 200HP total. A rune for 200 hp and a heal proc all in 1 weapon. Think I had this from OoW through PoR and a bit beyond. I still have this in my bank I'm sure.

View attachment 312694
Hey Frotavius! It's Daaed from around 2003-2004 Povar. Surprised to see you on here!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I was on sol ro. A buddy of mine would run around as a enchanter with weird gear on and pretend to be a gm and fool everyone in the commons. It was fun watching

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Hey Frotavius! It's Daaed from around 2003-2004 Povar. Surprised to see you on here!
Hey Daaed! Glad to see ya man. I tried looking for pics of us in them from back then but unfortunately I didn't find any. Good to see you're still out there and kicken!

Some more screenshots from what i got:

Had a zone bug where the ground was just this image all over. Don't remember what zone this was though.

EQ000382.jpg

In 2007 for April Fools the Devs enabled "Stick Figures" was really great because there was like zero lag. I think to this day you can enable them still in the UI settings, but then it was a new thing:

EQ000270.jpg

EQ000271.jpg

Finally, this was a strange bug as well. Our Enchanter gated out of the zone but from what I could tell was still in the zone:

EQ000318.jpg

Moodiiblue was telling me..oh I'm not in the zone so what I did as a test (and for fun) was I hit one of my Divine Aura clickys which made me invulnerable and put my hate down to 1.

The mob immediately tears after her standing there and killed her.

So when Moodiiblue got back into the zone and was shocked to see that was a corpse there on the ground. The corpse was bugged though, was one of those "Too far away" messages

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users