First EverQuest, 3 screenshots

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love these nostalgia threads.

Partly, because I didn't have the foresight to hold on to the thousands of screenshots I took during my 'career.' but I wish I had kept in contact with more of the people I played with. So, I'm left with just a fading memory and all of your posts bring back so much of how I spent a significant chunk of my late teens/early 20s.

I honestly don't remember how I broke in to the uber-guild scene, but I do remember the brutal 12-16 hour days that were required to be competitive at the end-game. There's not a chance in hell I could tolerate (or want) that kind of experience today.

While in Township Rebellion, I fondly remember racing FoH pull for pull for the world-first kill of Fennin Ro in Plane of Fire. We narrowly squeaked it out, but no one wanted to give us credit for anything we did because we were on the premium server and "we had GMs in our pockets." It was bullshit, but it always irked me.

Also, having had the opportunity to go to the first EQ uber-guild Summit was an experience that I will always treasure. Seeing the studio (specifically while the first set of Epic weapons were being realized), meeting the developers and so many of the top-tier players from all the bleeding-edge guilds was magical. Though, to be fair, some of you mofos are weird as fuck.

Attending the summit gave me a gift I could never have dreamed of; the role of Rogue Class Correspondent. I know some of you roll your eyes at the whole correspondent thing, but it was a MASSIVE honor for me to be chosen as the representative for my class and I'm legitimately proud that there were actually some meaningful improvements made to the rogue class as a result.

After TR, I went on to spend some time in Hoss and Afterlife (when they were in steep decline) before I quit entirely to play EQ2. Disappointed with EQ2, I started my own 'uber-guild' in WoW and we did very well (several server firsts) for a couple years before the load of leading a guild became too much for me. Neat little factoid - Araxen was in my WoW guild as one of my main tanks. Arguably, the best one we had, but I didn't realize until years later, after we had both moved on, that he was a member of FoH. I don't think he knew I was a member either.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Was looking at old screenies. I don't remember this haha.
EQ000190.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Old screenshots are gone from 2003 era and back to time from an old account I lost the info too and stopped playing for awhile. . I did start saving them around 2004 so I got some. I was on the Povar server and started a Pally..didn't raid for years so took the best what I could for group gear.

There were some good arguments on the official EQ boards back in the day. It think this was a moderator named Brenlo at the time:

EQcomplaintownz.JPG

Giving npcs weapons had some odd effects sometimes:

Framiliar.jpg

During the FV invasion event for Dreadlands:

683.jpg

I liked taking the odd screenshots of random things in EQ:

Brains.jpg

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I had a thing for taking screencaps of clickys. This was during the Fabled events or clickys i would get from GMs and have in the bank:
Clickys1.jpg

Clickys2.jpg

If people are interested I got tons more out there.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There were some good arguments on the official EQ boards back in the day. It think this was a moderator named Brenlo at the time.
Unless my memory is failing me or we're just talking about different people -- Brenlo definitely worked on the EQ team, but I'm not sure in what capacity. I just remember him as a big, fat fucker. That, and he's the one who approved my invitation to the Summit.

I never got rid of my account when I quit, this thread is tempting me to re-install EQ just to log in and walk around for a few hours.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless my memory is failing me or we're just talking about different people -- Brenlo definitely worked on the EQ team, but I'm not sure in what capacity. I just remember him as a big, fat fucker. That, and he's the one who approved my invitation to the Summit.

I vaguely remember his name from EQ and then EQ2.

GU Comics mentioned him a couple of times.

1603729403756.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Throw some more up here.

Some GM/ Guide messing around in PoK telling everyone the world was gonna end.
EQ000220.jpg

This was during the "Monser Mission" days when the Dain had a good aug. People would zone out and die instantly. Got this screenshot as someone was zoning out of the instance. People would invis to the dain and say the entry word to zone in and would be fine. After they would zone out and die a lot. Constantly dead bodies in the room. I would regularly rez people in this zone and drag them out of the room so they wouldn't die on rez.

EQ000231.jpg

This was a weapon I had for a long time. As a non raider Pally, I took what I could get. It had Runic which not only was a rune but also healed me for 80 base when it procced which would sometimes crit when it procced due to AA's so free healing was nice.

Since the Aug slot was type 4 and not 8 I couldn't throw on an AC aug so I had to find something else worthwihle. I didn't want a dd or lifedrain since that wouldn't help me a whole lot. High resists for procs in OoW, GoD and PoR. . Ended up getting the Faerie Luck Stone from LDoN.

5% Mitigation vie for Guard IV for 200HP total. A rune for 200 hp and a heal proc all in 1 weapon. Think I had this from OoW through PoR and a bit beyond. I still have this in my bank I'm sure.

EQ000232.jpg

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys must have been a bunch of brown-nosing cucks. I had 100's & 100's of days played and like 1 interaction (corpse retrieval) with a GM.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

You guys must have been a bunch of brown-nosing cucks. I had 100's & 100's of days played and like 1 interaction (corpse retrieval) with a GM.

Depends on the server. On Cazic Thule the GMs and guides seemed to always be around, although that is from the perspective of an Uber guild lol.

But they used to fuck around a bit. In Vanilla, guide named Melachite put together some home brew mini RP events and used guide powers to make it interesting. He later told me Verant cracked down on guide and GM ability to do stuff like that and you didn’t see that much in Kunark and beyond, except for the official events. The GMs and guides liked me a lot on my server after my interactions in the Lanys vs Firiona Vie event. Even GMs on other servers had found out about that and were like “oh shit, what’s up Cybsled?”

Closest thing I will ever get to celebrity lol

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I got warned a lot for exploiting freeport arena pathing.

Xegony only seemed to have dipshit GMs, which was in line with the servers population.

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depends on the server. On Cazic Thule the GMs and guides seemed to always be around, although that is from the perspective of an Uber guild lol.

But they used to fuck around a bit. In Vanilla, guide named Melachite put together some home brew mini RP events and used guide powers to make it interesting. He later told me Verant cracked down on guide and GM ability to do stuff like that and you didn’t see that much in Kunark and beyond, except for the official events. The GMs and guides liked me a lot on my server after my interactions in the Lanys vs Firiona Vie event. Even GMs on other servers had found out about that and were like “oh shit, what’s up Cybsled?”

Closest thing I will ever get to celebrity lol

Why did they crackdown on GM events? I didn’t really start playing until the era of GM events had ended (or maybe they were always rare on my server).