First Man (2018)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
LOL

Step 1: Make movie about landing on the moon, heck ya!
Step 2: Left Libtards bitch about HISTORY ACCURACY
Step 3: Change or omit historically accurate and YUGE aspect of the moon landing, the entire space race and it was AMERICA that got there first, national pride FLAG ON THE MOON
Step 4: That enrages "right wing" and those who enjoy accuracy, loose viewers and alienate population
Step 5: Left Libtards still bitch because THE HISTORICAL SETTING of the film, when a HUGE HISTORIC EVENT for AMERICA and the human race happend...was a time seen merely as "conservative" - so they still reject the film.
Step 6: No one watches your stupid move.
if they didnt want a pro america movie, then they shouldnt have made one. simple as that. dont have your people who are supposedly promoting your pro america film be playing down the pro america part. this could have been a beloved film right up there The Right Stuff, but now i hope it tanks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
hey guys lets take the most amazing accomplishment in US history and put blue hair on it!

• 3Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Legitimately good movie, but the shaky hand cam was off the fucking charts. A Bourne movie doesn't have this much unsteady camera work. I could also nitpick a bunch of small details, or what actually happened vs the movie, but whatever. Will say the "lunar dust" was basically wet sand with the color removed. Kinna garish looking. Oh, and there were about 20-25 people in a the 329 seat Bob Bullock IMAX auditorium, and didn't seem like anyone had gone to the one earlier showing either (not a lot of folks coming out). Only two showings, and second night... At least he said the "one small step" line, but it was incredibly marginalized amongst the rest. The lander with the flag next to it was tiny and barely recognizable against the giant IMAX presentation of the lunar surface that took up 99% of the screen.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

I read a dual interview with the director and a french cosmonaut, the guy enjoyed the movie, but was like "I am not sure about Apollo, but the Soyuz I took to go to the ISS did not shake that much!" :D

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I read a dual interview with the director and a french cosmonaut, the guy enjoyed the movie, but was like "I am not sure about Apollo, but the Soyuz I took to go to the ISS did not shake that much!" :D
50 years of difference. They were using rickety tin cans held together by a bunch of rivets on top of boosters that were basically explosive ordinance. Modern main thrusters using O2+H2 chemical reaction boosters instead of something combustible, the thrust is so strong, force so direct and cleanly controlled, there's no shaking, only the feeling of being slammed back into the seat at nearly 12 G's. Not to mention improvements in gyroscopic technology, maintaining direct flight orientation instead of just hoping and praying it flies straight, then relying on the pilot to make microcorrections on the fly. Modern shit barely even needs a pilot it's so automated. I mean, we've landed shit on asteroids.

The obnoxious shaky cam on the ground was a stupid decision by the director. It distracts or calls too much attention to the fact that they were pushing rickety shit into space with humans inside. "But the stress on the ground!" pffft.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Gave it 3 stars. Without the shaky cam it would've been 4, but that shit was annoying. So was the Indian fucks sitting behind me with terrible belches that interrupted the movie every 30 minutes with the smell of garlic, onions and curry.

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Gave it 3 stars. Without the shaky cam it would've been 4, but that shit was annoying. So was the Indian fucks sitting behind me with terrible belches that interrupted the movie every 30 minutes with the smell of garlic, onions and curry.

I would of got up gave them a dirty look and moved.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Loved the way this movie was done. The personal approach made the space stuff seem so intense. I felt myself holding my breath in a couple scenes. I think being in the second row of IMAX helped too. If you're into space stuff at all, go see this movie.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this movie today in IMAX, I enjoyed it. I think all the "liberals ruined this movie" stuff got super exaggerated, there's even a brief shot of the American flag next to Eagle 1 on the moon near the end so not sure what everyone got their panties in a twist about. Neil Armstrong is one boring motherfucker though.

The last 30 mins of this movie are absolutely fantastic in IMAX and you will get a space boner from it. The first hour and 45 minutes are pretty meh though, about 50% family drama and 50% NASA-doing-cool-shit. If you just watch the last 30 mins you'd get almost all the enjoyment from this movie. Worth a watch in IMAX imo, the last half hour was filmed with IMAX cameras so it fills the screen and looks great.

• 3Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally watched a rip of this. I was kind of ready for disappointment based on the controversy in this thread, but overall it was good.

The family shit was kind of a drag, the shaky cam overboard, and the sound, music especially, overrode a lot of the dialogue (the last one may just be my sound setup though).

That said, man, they really fucking nailed the balls on these guys to get strapped into the end of a rocket and be shot into space. And I actually felt like the patriotism in this was pretty decent. If you like space stuff, I'd say it's a worthwhile watch.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That said, man, they really fucking nailed the balls on these guys to get strapped into the end of a rocket and be shot into space. And I actually felt like the patriotism in this was pretty decent. If you like space stuff, I'd say it's a worthwhile watch.

Took my daughter to DC this week for the holiday. When you see just how small those Gemini capsules were (at air and space museum) it hammers home how insane these guys were. At 6'3 there would be no way I could even wedge myself into the thing. Balls indeed.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hadn't even heard this movie existed, saw the thread title and thought this was a movie about a female president and the first husband.

spronk

FPS noob
Apollo 11 is playing in theaters this week, its at my local AMC so it was "free" with A-List. Totally worth a watch if you get in free (Atom/A-List), its only on IMAX until thursday when Captain Marvel is gonna replace it. Only 90 minutes too so pretty breezy, only 5 mins of previews (for a single Disney nature movie) so don't have to sit through a ton of commercials either.

Its all remastered footage from the 1969 Apollo 11 mission which sent Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins to the moon. Its crazy to imagine that its gonna be ** 50 years ** this summer. Its a bit dry and technical so may be too boring for kids but I loved it, even teared up at a few scenes thinking about how much humanity has accomplished when we work together. It is so insane to think about what a huge risk, the unknowns they were facing, and the technical achievements they all achieved.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity