Fondest memories of gaming (non-MMO)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Figure I'd make this for games in general instead of the one just specifically for MMORPG's.

Earliest and most gratifying for me that I can remember was finishing Metal Gear (NES). I was in 7th grade at the time and was the most I had ever accomplished in a game (even if I did have the guide that told me you had to put 16 plastic explosives on the super computer). Other moments:

Finally beating Sephiroth in FFVII (took a shitload of tries)
Finishing up the main storyline in Skyrim (first elder scrolls game that I've done that with)

Vitality

HUSTLE
Shining Force 1 for the genesis (avatar pic related)

Dark Wizard for the Sega CD

Halo lan parties in Highschool.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Playing The Legend of Zelda (original one on NES) at my friend's house in 6th grade. It was definitely the point at which I became obsessed with video games. I immediately went home and begged my mom to buy it.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Mordin's end in ME3, them feels.

Super shotgun in Brutal Doom, it's been a while since I've started giggling due to firing a weapon. The guts all over the room in front of me helped.

Old World Blues, Point Lookout, Dead Money and The Missing Link win the awards for best DLCs ever.

CoD 1 MP, I think I could find my way around Carentan in sleep. Leaning was so overpowered with Car98

Mark of the Ninja, the ending is what elevates the game from awesome to one of the best I ever played.

Diablo 2 wth Median XL for being the best hack n slash RPG I have ever played, with so much depth you could drown an elephant in it and pushing all the mechanics to the bleeding edge in uberquests and uberlevels.

Column_sl

shitlord
I mostly just played Fighting games, so probly Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the Playstation was my first big game I put a shitload of time into.
Competed in tournaments every week etc.

Then Halo 2 later on sucked me in for a good bit. Didn't really play many computer games till Everquest.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Shining Force 1 for the genesis (avatar pic related)

Dark Wizard for the Sega CD

Halo lan parties in Highschool.
Shining Force was such an underrated yet awesome series, hell yes! I beat 2 in a single weekend because I was so addicted.

For me, probably Phantasy Star 1 and 2 for Sega Master System and Genesis.

My father was a gamer when I was born (not at all now) and bought Phantasy Star 1. It came out 2 days (?) after Final Fantasy 1, and is considered one of the father's of modern RPGs. It had a lovable cast of 4, unique combat, and a 3-d sort of dungeon crawl - it was amazing. My dad let me play it, AT AGE 5. And played the fuck out of it I did. I don't know many other 5 year-olds that can play RPGs, but I loved it. Finally beat that shit and it was awesome. I still beat it every couple of years because I love it so much. Same with...

Phantasy Star II. On the genesis, much better graphics, a ton of characters, great dungeon design, tough combat, the first character death I had ever seen ! (Nei died before Aerith you bastards). I consider this to be one of the great RPG's of all time, possibly number 1 on my list. I play this every couple of years as well, can't get enough.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
My best friend had a Sega Master System. I think he got Phantasy Star the same Christmas I got Zelda 2. Phantasy Star was so much better. I was definitely jealous.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Phantasy Star was pretty awesome, yeah add that to the list, I loved some of the Combos you could do (if you did certain attack patterns with your characters)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never played PS1 but I owned PS2 (could never get past the part where Nei always dies) and PS3 (which wasn't as good). As a matter of fact my first gaming system was a Sega Master System, not a NES. First game on that I ever owned was Rambo First Blood part 2 for the SMS. Played the shit out of that (since it was the only thing I owned at first). I remember having this old tube tv in my bedroom (it was black and white) on the floor and I'd sit in there all day long playing the same game over and over. I also had this game called Zillion and it was pretty gratifying when I finally beat that.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Probably getting my first PC when I was about 10 or so (1991ish?). First two games I'm pretty sure were Airbucks and Railroad Tycoon. Man the 90's were awesome for PC games. I had so much fan with the various Microprose and Impressions strategy/simulation games.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Getting the Sword of Kings in Earthbound. Fuck those starstorm fucks.
Now that you mention it, beating the final boss in earthbound was pretty memorable for me. 13 year old me, "Fuck, I've been fighting this guy for an hour, I'm out of items, Adam (my scientist kid) is dead and I have no way left to bring him back, I'm running out of life. He HAS to be almost dead, maybe if I pray I can hang in there just a little bit longer."

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Probably split between early NES games like Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Metal Gear with PC games like Kings Quest 4, Police quest and of course Space quest. Monkey island also comes to mind.

Out of all of those roaming around as Roger Wilco was one of the better gaming experiences of my early years. I can also remember trying to play Zork as a really young child.

Good times. Fuck me how stuff has changed since then.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
My best memories are playing games from 386/486 PC's from the 90's, NES, SNES, Playstations and everything in between. I feel spoiled now, I feel everything has to be played online with people. I almost get a sense of boredom if I play a single player game. For example, I am pushing myself to finish The Last of Us on PS4 not because its a bad game, its just I want to play with people and interact online. Single player games are tuff for me to sit through now and were king during my childhood (minus Golden Eye, that's a whole other story).

My biggest memories of gaming, waiting for my dad to setup my NES for the first time through the VCR (Channel 3).

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
My best memories are playing games from 386/486 PC's from the 90's, NES, SNES, Playstations and everything in between. I feel spoiled now, I feel everything has to be played online with people. I almost get a sense of boredom if I play a single player game. For example, I am pushing myself to finish The Last of Us on PS4 not because its a bad game, its just I want to play with people and interact onlnie. Single player games are tuff for me to sit through now and where king during my childhood (minus Golden Eye, that's a whole other story).

My biggest memories of gaming, waiting for my dad to setup my NES for the first time through the VCR (Channel 3).
I'm the exact opposite. I almost avoid people in online games and prefer single player. I'm not sure if there is a term for someone who is antisocial online...

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm the exact opposite. I almost avoid people in online games and prefer single player. I'm not sure if there is a term for someone who is antisocial online...
Dang buddy, you missed out on some sweet direct-connect warcraft 2 matches.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Playing Diablo in my studio apartment all night as often as I wanted after graduating and living alone for the first time. Had a super cushy IT job that paid well and demanded little, so going to work exhausted but happy was never a problem. A central part of one of the best times in my life.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Dang buddy, you missed out on some sweet direct-connect warcraft 2 matches.
Oh, sorry, I meantnowI am like that. I was very, very big into Quake/Quake2/CTF and MMO's in the early days of internet gaming.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
- Saving up for and purchasing a SNES as a kid, which I still own. Learned some goal-setting and responsibility there. It also has a great library of games that have aged well.
- Group sessions of N64 Bond with friends on a big-screen TV.
- Playing old school games like DOOM and WarCraft 2 1v1 over the modem.
- Getting up at off hours to get my turns in on BBS door games.
- Talking shit down the hall in dorm Quake 2 deathmatches.
- Replaying Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night a shitload of times, then watching speed runs and feeling massively inferior.
- Accidentally playing an all-night session of Terraria with friends. "Fuck, is it light outside?"
- Shit talking some morons on a Killing Floor server and getting kicked, while my friend rounded up a MASSIVE death train of zombies and dropped it on the chuds running the server. Being an EQ monk myself, I laughed so hard I cried. Memories!