Fondest memories of gaming (non-MMO)

Vitality

HUSTLE
Oh, sorry, I meantnowI am like that. I was very, very big into Quake/Quake2/CTF and MMO's in the early days of internet gaming.
I think most older gamers are like this now, the culture has taken a nose-dive, community online isn't what it used to be.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Completing a single player game to me was (and still is) always an accomplishment, no matter how hard or easy it was. I would finish the game, end sequence would play and then I just sit there staring at the credits (usually asian names), not shutting the game off until the title screen came back. I just don't have the patience (or time) anymore to play a game through to the end. Back in the SNES days, I made it a point to play all that I could to completion, not playing anything else until the game was beat.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, now I have like 12,000 games on Steam, all with 30 minutes played.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Sleep overs at a friends house with 6 of us playing NES Tecmo Superbowl all through the night. We'd each pick a team and play through a season. Then the next day we'd get up and play wiffle ball all day. Man thems were the days.
frown.png

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Inorite! I still keep a taped up wiffle bat ready at all times during the nice seasons of the year. You never know when you'll burst into a spontaneous game of wiffle ball!
Group of my friends has recently started playing Kickball. 25-26 year olds playing kickball is hilarious. Injuries abound.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Group of my friends has recently started playing Kickball. 25-26 year olds playing kickball is hilarious. Injuries abound.
All my friends have transitioned into either Garage Sale and/or Wine Tasting yuppies. Everyone got fat and had kids.

I still bust out the frisbee and what not from time to time. Get my oldschool gaming fix on emulators during the mmo-release off season.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Phantasy Star was pretty awesome, yeah add that to the list, I loved some of the Combos you could do (if you did certain attack patterns with your characters)
I believe you are referring to PSIV (ANOTHER AWESOME ONE!).

I'd rank them PS2>PS1>PS4>PS3

A lot of hate for PS3 because it was weird, but the generation stuff was pretty awesome for replay value.

If you can't tell it is my favorite RPG series ever (Up to PS4.. the online stuff is shit).

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Now that you mention it, beating the final boss in earthbound was pretty memorable for me. 13 year old me, "Fuck, I've been fighting this guy for an hour, I'm out of items, Adam (my scientist kid) is dead and I have no way left to bring him back, I'm running out of life. He HAS to be almost dead, maybe if I pray I can hang in there just a little bit longer."
Wait did you really stumble into praying? That's nuts.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm the exact opposite. I almost avoid people in online games and prefer single player. I'm not sure if there is a term for someone who is antisocial online...
You and me both bro. We should like, start playing some single player games at the same time as each other. And then quit playing them 20 minutes later.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Beating Final Fantasy IV for the first time. Me and a whole group of friends spent an entire weekend playing the game during a sleepover/ birthday party. We camped out in the living room. Made an awesome fort, Ate tons of junk food and were riveted to the screen as we watched the story unfold.

Counterstrike was a big part of my online gaming. I loved pissing people off with flying, no scope headshots in the ScoutzKnivez map.

Zelda a link to the past. I didn't have an SNES at the time, but the video store a mile from my home had one set up in the front window. I would go there every now and then and just play the game that was on display. Well one day during winter vacation they had Zelda a link to the past, in there. So I started a fresh game. I was hooked and wound up playing until it started to get dark and went home. The next day was a blizzard, but I called the store and they were still open. So I walked through the snow, uphill, and when I got there... some other kid was playing, on my saved game! We ended up taking turns, and played through a good chunk of the game, until the store closed. We agreed to meet up the next day as well. And so we did until we beat it. The game itself was awesome, but the struggle imposed by the circumstances made the victory all the more amazing. That kid moved away soon after, but for a brief time we were really good friends.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Zelda a link to the past. I didn't have an SNES at the time, but the video store a mile from my home had one set up in the front window. I would go there every now and then and just play the game that was on display. Well one day during winter vacation they had Zelda a link to the past, in there. So I started a fresh game. I was hooked and wound up playing until it started to get dark and went home. The next day was a blizzard, but I called the store and they were still open. So I walked through the snow, uphill, and when I got there... some other kid was playing, on my saved game! We ended up taking turns, and played through a good chunk of the game, until the store closed. We agreed to meet up the next day as well. And so we did until we beat it. The game itself was awesome, but the struggle imposed by the circumstances made the victory all the more amazing. That kid moved away soon after, but for a brief time we were really good friends.
This is good shit.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Zelda a link to the past. I didn't have an SNES at the time, but the video store a mile from my home had one set up in the front window. I would go there every now and then and just play the game that was on display. Well one day during winter vacation they had Zelda a link to the past, in there. So I started a fresh game. I was hooked and wound up playing until it started to get dark and went home.The next day was a blizzard, but I called the store and they were still open. So I walked through the snow, uphill, and when I got there... some other kid was playing, on my saved game! We ended up taking turns, and played through a good chunk of the game, until the store closed. We agreed to meet up the next day as well. And so we did until we beat it. The game itself was awesome, but the struggle imposed by the circumstances made the victory all the more amazing. That kid moved away soon after, but for a brief time we were really good friends.
And you get to tell your kids, "Back when I was your age I didn't just download and play a game on a whim, I had to walk uphill in the snow to get to the video store."

Szlia

- Entering for the first time a small video game import store in late 1990. The guy who ran it was an audio-videophile with notions of electronics and had a Super Famicom running on a big TV with a home made RGB cable and connected to a beefy sound system. The game was F-Zero. Jaw on the floor-

- Entering the same store a few months later and 20 people are packed in the store in awe. The game: Super Ghouls 'n Ghost (well... Chomakaimura). The stage: 2-2 the raft in the waves.

- Playing Snatcher (a japanese style adventure game by Kojima) on Nec's Super CD-RomRom in japanese with minimal notion of the language. It's still possible to make progress going through the menus, but at some point in the game you have to find the address of a hospital by searching through a list and the game asks you for a text input... in japanese. I can do that! Except finding the right name for the hospital was also a puzzle involving clues and wordplay... it took a while, but the epiphany of finding the solution and then entering it correctly was elating!

- Seeing the intro of Microcosm on a friend's FM Town Marty in 1993.

- The rain in a Link to the Past.

- Watching the demo play at the start of Super Metroid after having completed the game. Wait? You can do THAT? And THAT? And then managing to find how to rush diagonally and do complete heals.

- Jumping for the first time in Journey (and then the rest of the game).

- Playing the demo of Silent Hill at ECTS' Konami booth. That real time camera work in the L shaped alley!

- Discovering the teaser trailer for Silent Hill 2.

- The end boss of Radiant Silvergun, all 6754654 phases of it.

- Discovering The Great Ragtime Show (aka Boogie Wings) at an arcade in Tokyo in 2010. The most insane 2D shooter-platformer from the '90s you never heard about!

I better stop this list because I can go on a while!

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
- Entering for the first time a small video game import store in late 1990. The guy who ran it was an audio-videophile with notions of electronics and had a Super Famicom running on a big TV with a home made RGB cable and connected to a beefy sound system. The game was F-Zero. Jaw on the floor-

- Entering the same store a few months later and 20 people are packed in the store in awe. The game: Super Ghouls 'n Ghost (well... Chomakaimura). The stage: 2-2 the raft in the waves.

- Playing Snatcher (a japanese style adventure game by Kojima) on Nec's Super CD-RomRom in japanese with minimal notion of the language. It's still possible to make progress going through the menus, but at some point in the game you have to find the address of a hospital by searching through a list and the game asks you for a text input... in japanese. I can do that! Except finding the right name for the hospital was also a puzzle involving clues and wordplay... it took a while, but the epiphany of finding the solution and then entering it correctly was elating!

- Seeing the intro of Microcosm on a friend's FM Town Marty in 1993.

- The rain in a Link to the Past.

- Watching the demo play at the start of Super Metroid after having completed the game. Wait? You can do THAT? And THAT? And then managing to find how to rush diagonally and do complete heals.

- Jumping for the first time in Journey (and then the rest of the game).

- Playing the demo of Silent Hill at ECTS' Konami booth. That real time camera work in the L shaped alley!

- Discovering the teaser trailer for Silent Hill 2.

- The end boss of Radiant Silvergun, all 6754654 phases of it.

- Discovering The Great Ragtime Show (aka Boogie Wings) at an arcade in Tokyo in 2010. The most insane 2D shooter-platformer from the '90s you never heard about!

I better stop this list because I can go on a while!
That brought back a memory of mine. There was a small import video game store in Schamburg Illinois that would burn a chip into the PS1 or PS2? Cant remember, but the chip would let me play import games. I played FF Tactics before anyone, couldn't read a damn word of it but it was cool to look at.

Sterling

El Presidente
Beating Lagoth Zanta in The Bard's Tale 2. Those old RPGs were so different back then, so much less direction and easy to get lost/stuck!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Tournament setting: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

It's nearly impossible to describe complex maneuvers in an FPS, especially one so old and where people don't know the maps anymore. But I just remember my whole team getting smeared early on. I was trapped in the lower level of a blown out 2 story building. It was me vs 7 dudes. I ducked and jived, jived and ducked and swayed and picked them off one by one. It was uber as hell, trust me.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm one of the only people in the world to successfully land on the carrier in Top Gun for NES.

Basically nobody is as elite as me.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm one of the only people in the world to successfully land on the carrier in Top Gun for NES.

Basically nobody is as elite as me.
God, I hated that fucking game. My grandparents had this big ass TV in their den and ended up getting a Nintendo for whenever my brother and I or our cousins would come over. Looking back now, it was a sweet gesture and all, but they somehow wound up with only 3 games or so and that's all they had, ever. Top Gun, Cobra Triangle and Winter Games. It wasn't so bad except for the spur of the moment trips when we didn't have a chance to bring any of our good games from home.