Fondest Memory of MMOs

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Curious what others thoughts are on this. What is your fondest memory of your MMO experience ? In particular, End game or the leveling journey. For me it was always the leveling experience and exploration of a large world rather than the end game tread mill.

End game vs leveling ? which encapsulates your best memories of MMOs ?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
First time completing Lost Vale in WAR. We had a group of dedicated individuals who spent weeks gearing each other up to smash the final boss. Was the first time I had done that kind of thing. Never really had to gear up as a group before, was super fun.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no doubt these kinds of threads have been done over and over, but its fun.
i guess most of the best moments in our guild in EQ came from the Luclin expansion. it was a bad expansion that tested our ability to stay together and overcome all the shit that was thrown at us. when we finally got through all the hurdles of key camping to get to emp ssra then actually killing his deathtouching ass we had more key camping to look forward to just to get into VT. we all assumed that VT would be easy loot for all the trouble we had in getting there. some of it was fairly easy when you got the hang of certain encounters, but shit like pathing issues would nearly wipe several times on each trip, even months later when we had the zone down pat with easy kills we still would get these out of nowhere mega trains. the best moment came during one of these trains on our first few trips. we are in one room, and all of a sudden the door opens on its own and like 10+ of those 4 arm bastards comes running in with probably another dozen robed fuckers along with them, we were already in a good fight so all our enchanters went hardcore and tried to mez everything.

it didnt work well at first. enchanters started dropping like flies. the 2 necros we had were trying their best to compensate, but that didnt work well either. then us shaman were up. me and another guildie slowed everything up and our pallies and sk offtanked the adds while we cleared as fast as we could, then the door ahead of us opened up and another dozen assorted mobs rushed in on us. we were so fucked, but koryo tells guild, "keep fighting if we wipe now, the raid is over, we are too deep in to start from the beginning" (it was around midnight on a friday night). the adds were being dealt with very slowly as people kept dying and were being rezzed back in. it got to the point where a half hour had gone by and half the adds had been dealt with and now we were dealing with repops in the room. slowly but surely we killed the repops and whittled down the 2 trains. and like an hour later we had rezzed everyone and everything was dead and we were able to continue our raid. was the most epic battle we had ever had and it was just to stay alive, no loot was dropped. after that we made sure never to get to close to a wall and we always were ready for trains.

spronk

FPS noob
watching jerle stream swtor (or was it rift?) while still in full guy mode and convincing his viewers he's a female

Uzi_sl

shitlord
I loved down-to-the-wire fights in eq too. The leveling and exploring was fine but with such a huge death penalty and risk of losing your corpse I think the challange was more rewarding towardss the late game.

I remember trying to get the Monk epic pipe from deep in chardok - I was like 15 in highschool or so at the time. I was not in an uber guild or anything close to it, but over a year or two of being a funny friendly sort of player I had amassed a boatload of friends, some of which I still game with today. That said, just to get a group capable of heading down and making it to the camp it took weeks of asking every day for people, often times getting 3 of the 4 required classes (tank/cleric/slow/porter) only to have them have to go because the process of getting a full group together and ready to go took hundreds of tells and several hours. I managed to get it after a few trips where we got our shit together and made it to the camp to actually hold and clear the PH a few times, but each time we always had a wipe or damn near close to wipe. Hearing the healers and CC screaming OOM and watching the whole group basically under half life and shit is just not dying fast enough had such a goddamn thrill that will never be replicated.

Also later in my EQ career I had some raid moments like that but with close to 100 people instead of 6, a dozen clerics straight spamming "OOM!" and 5 chanters bitching at people breaking mezzes. The Rathe Council in Planes of Power comes to mind. We only beat that after dozens of tries, and at that point PoP was like 3 expansions old and still hard as fuck. Something about the 6 man group was more thrilling though, you actually felt like you had been through some shit with these people and got to know them closely.

Also pulling as a monk, setting the pace of the raid and trying not to get smoked while bringing big nasty shit back to the raid was an art and a great time. Warping dain through the ice hole, getting AoW cycle back to camp safely, clearing ToV with shit resists, all good memories. Or just speed pulling for an xp group in velks when the zone had 40 people all competing for spiders as soon as they spawned during prime time. I could F8 camera cycle, camera pan, charge the fresh spider over slippery floor spikes and pitfalls like a goddamn pro.. every potential .01% xp was worth giving 100% concentration for. A side effect was the legendary flame wars that competing over mobs resulted in, both in OOC and on the forums. Back in the young days of the internet before youtube fags and 30-second memes, eq had an unique, evolving, vernacular, both filthy and brilliantly creative at the same time. Some of that weird mix of hormones and nerdy intelligence has percolated through the years to this very forum.

Fuck I want my youth back.

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Discovering the zones in EQ and learning how to play (first mmo I ever played). In the first few days, levels, dps and gear didn't mean shit to me, and it didn't occur to me that some creatures would be completely impossible to kill (that was very different from other games I had played up till then).
So here I go discover the world, as an intrepid lvl 3 or 4 human ranger, and end up zoning into west Karana.
I wander around (completely randomly, I had no idea there was a zone map), and see some huts. Lets go take a look ! Wait ... what's that ? A lion ? Holy crap I better go hide in one of those huts ... ok I should be safe now ... nope, the lion is hitting me through the walls.
So I started fighint back, and another player (or guard ?) arrived and killed the lion, anyways, I didn't die (yet). Night is falling, and I decide to try to find my way back to Queynos. Hmm strange, I didn't remember those hills on the way here ? Oh well, might be a shortcut ! I can't see shit because it's dark, and end up arriving at a hill giants camp. Mind you, I am being quite careful now, but their agro range was quite huge (as I recall at least ! ... but then maybe I also thought at the time that by aiming really well and shooting an arrow in one of the giant's throat, I would kill it and become a legendary hero in Queynos ! yay me for being so naive about game mechanics !).
Anyways, the giant was running much faster than I did.
So now I am back in Qeynos, naked, and no clue how I am going to find my corpse back. I find my way back to west Karana, and wander around trying to remember the path I took earlyer. After a couple minutes, I ran into a halfling druid, level 44 (god like ! I had never seen someone that uber. Picture running into someone level 4000 in wow). He cast SoW on me and some other buff, taught me about the /corpse command, had me consent him, and went to get my corpse from the hill giants, killing one in the process (with me staring in awe in the background).
That guy's name was Heppen (on Saryrn). I can't remember the name of 99% of the people from the 2 raiding guilds who I spent years playing with, but that guy, I won't forget.
I got ranger, rogue and pally epics, raided everthing in Kunark, Velious and Luclin, but compared to the first few days/weeks of discovery in this this "revolutionary" game, those other memories feel meaningless.
Also maybe the best of the best class tournaments, that was fun, with server GMs as refs, killing spectators that would not sit during fights (arenas were somekind of free for all zones I think, so if you were sitting you were unable to cast spells or interfere with the fights), and massive brawls at the end. And the winner would get a title ! Very, very few people had titles, it meant something.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
UO, basically every defend or siege of a faction base. I suppose your first always holds a special place in your heart.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
back in 2000 Looking for my lvl 8 human (sweet short black haired dude with the mustache)SK corpse in the dark in nektulos forest as a true noob. Never found it, rerolled a ogre warrior instead!

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
The first moment that really made me say WOW! in Everquest was the very first time I ran from Qeynos to Freeport and came across the bridges in the Karanas. Their size just blew me away. I was hooked as fuck from that point on.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finishing my epic quest in EQ. For most classes that was literally game changing.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
1) Watching people go over the invisible bridge and fall off and die leading to THO in EQ1.
2) Order vs Chaos in UO
3) Abyss server on UO
4) All TM combat in WoW

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Deleting my cleric because of how fucking ridiculous the keying in Shadows of Luclin had gotten. Finally realized how pointless it all was.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just the other day I was thinking about seeing the waterfalls around Princess Theradras in Maraudon for the first time. It blew my mind.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Vanilla WoW battlegrounds were great and (coming from EQ) really expanded MMO gameplay for me. Loved the epic, hours long back-and-forth battles in AV. Had great times playing WSG in guild teams vs other guild teams and chatting to them afterwards (before cross-server BGs killed that). It certainly had its problems but many of the fixes also took away some of what made it great in the first place.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Must say a few epic moments for me were ( almost more leveling less raiding but raiding too ).

1. Any raid that ended up with ppl naked and still fighting and we won
2. any contested raid in eq2 pvp
3. The leveling experience of WoW, i was immersed from level 1-60
4. The first time i took the tram from Stormwind to Ironforge and realized, i wanted to stay in ironforge.
5. The first time i created a horde and saw Undercity.
6. RIFT beta, when the warewolves and Defiants came to Gloamwood... just slaughter everywhere.
7. Bounty hunting in SWG

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
(before cross-server BGs killed that).
Cross server everything, character transfers, and flying mounts ruined my WoW experience
frown.png

Flying mounts rustle my jimmies bigtime. The world used to feel big, and travel used to mean something.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Curious what others thoughts are on this. What is your fondest memory of your MMO experience ?
After coming down the looooong Highhold gorge, the very first time when I saw the bridge between Eastern and Northern Karanas.

It's impossible to quantify why that particular experience stands out. But it does.